PDA

View Full Version : Hector Cuper

El Chino Recoba
14 Mar 05, 00:32
Wheres that thread that was here a while back?

Anyway looks like he will get Mallorca relegated, 4 straight loss
3-0 v Real Santander.

Hammoudi
14 Mar 05, 02:23
Yeah, it got lost. :D

Anyway, the island hasn't been serene for a while. Today's result realy hurt, specialy with Sociedad winning. Cuper joked that he won't commit suicide if they lost, but it will be very hard.

He had a good start, but the results haven't been coming as of late. Last week's win was massive but today's is a set back.

BTW, do you really hate Cuper Faisal? Or you are just interested in what he is up to?

El Chino Recoba
14 Mar 05, 02:35
Im not a big fan, Lets just say that ;)

Handoyo
14 Mar 05, 11:24
I'm sure Cuper can perform a miracle! :stuckup:

Hand:stress:yo

InterMilan31
18 Mar 05, 14:39
Cuper will lead Mallorca to La Liga glory.

La Liga 2 glory that is

El Chino Recoba
18 Mar 05, 14:50
:D

Hammoudi
18 Mar 05, 15:06
Sure, go ahead and bash the man when he is down. Every inter fan owes this guy a token of gratitude, he brought us back to respectability.

Put the results aside and just think for a bit. We had a better team with Lippi, Simeoni etc. and they failed. What would've happened if we got some other coach the season after Tradelli left and we struggled.

I bet we would've been in financial trouble and half the players would've been gone. Thankfully, more inter fans than none appreciate Cuper.

And finally, look at the facts before you talk about Mallorca. Had they not had that huge gap when he took over, they would've been in a better position by now.

El Chino Recoba
18 Mar 05, 15:27
Cuper isn't useless, Jusr so so so bad for Inter. But if that effienciency was because of him then he was good but I reckon it was the players that took their few chances. But who knows the guy might have a four leave clover stuck up his ass, Before he shits it out in May ofcourse.

Ok if he gets relegated or not who cares, I don't watch Mallorca that much compared to what I saw of him at Inter so I can't talk much about that.

Jimmy
18 Mar 05, 17:05
Yeah, and this lineup is DEFINITELY a Scudetto-lineup:

Toldo

Zanetti - Cordoba - Materazzi - Gresko

Conceicao - Di Biagio - C. Zanetti - Guly

Kallon - Vieri

Not to mention that Vieri missed several months and Ventola played instead. Now how many world-class players are there in this lineup? Toldo, Zanetti, Cordoba, Cristiano (who was brilliant that season, thanks to Cuper) and Vieri. The rest either performed crap or above their ability.

El Chino Recoba
18 Mar 05, 17:15
Kallon Vieri nice partnership, Though wheres Recoba because we are talking about the whole season and not just 2 months

Why Guly? wtf what about Seedorf Emre Okan Dalmat etc?

Cuper had a great squad, Those players under a top coach would look far better. in your eyes but I see what they were. Remember this is 2001 2002 2003 not 2005. That Inter could of been so much more

Toldo
JZanetti Cordoba Matrix/Canna Gresko
Dalmat Di Biagio/CZ Emre Seedorf
Vieri Recoba(obviously a left mid in Cuper's world)

In their prime, Add the bench depth. Inter shouldn't be making less chances than mid table teams.

Cuper got off very somehow in his 2 years, But seriously thank the players not Cuper.

Hammoudi
18 Mar 05, 17:21
Maybe you haven't followed Dalmat and co. for the whole season. They had a brilliant moment or two but for the most part they were ineffective.

And Okan? Oh lord, do you think he is a good player? Emre, it was his first season and he was barely 20. Seedork? Only in Milan would such a player play, he only fits in one scheme. Why did he utterly fail with us, Real and always fails with Holland. :rolleyes:

Jimmy
18 Mar 05, 17:21
Recoba was suspended during that season for quite some time, therefore Kallon was the one that played the most. A striker that didn´t score a single goal after the winter-break.

Dalmat was nagging about playing in central midfield the entire time, so when Cuper played him on the flank, he was not happy.

Seedorf was simply CRAP!

Okan?! :D Yeah, that´s world-class if I´ve seen it. If you seriously think that the squad we had during that time, with no natural wingers and no great left back, then I don´t know what to say. Prejudices have taken over any sort of logic in that case.

And if we didn´t have Canna either that season.

In his first season with that average squad he almost made us win the Scudetto for the first time in ages. Obviously a Romanista who hasn´t shared our pain or understood the transition we went from Tardelli to Cuper can realise that and will solely concentrate on the amount of "entertainment".

El Chino Recoba
18 Mar 05, 17:47
Well we won't lknow, How can we know. The past is gone. I see those players in a different way then to you.

I used to watch Inter alot because of their class talents, And thats why I hated seeing such football being played. It mad me sick

We just have to use our imaginations, Those players wouldn't of shined the way they could of. Apart from the really great or hardworking players suited to that style. It could of been so so much more

But anyway imagine, If Cuper wasn't there those years and there was a basic balance formation and good management. You would say well Alvaro Recoba would be on the left wing and 'we' would play long ball ultra defensive football. Even when Ronaldo left we bought Crespo to play with Vieri and even when he got injured a has been Batigol played ahead of Reoba along side Vieri. 'The reporters would laugh and say' Thats rubbish, Recoba the Balon D'or winner? 2nd topscorer in SerieA behind golden boot winner Ronaldo? Vieri and Batigol? You must be kidding, You;d say yeah and the team would create the 2nd least chances in SerieA but Vieri would score the most goals. Dalmat would be a Anelka style nomad that didn't develop into the player he is now and would be playing in Toulouse, Inter would win fuck all and Ronaldo would be sold to keeo the coach who wanted this style of football. Recoba would make many assists on the left but be called inconsistent because of these impossible expectations in the system. He would get injured and be training with the primavera with Egdar Davids...

Buhaahhah laughter around the press conference, And its ended while the men in white suits come and take you.

Jimmy
18 Mar 05, 17:56
I´m just guessing here... But you haven´t followed the Dalmat story closely at all, have you?

El Chino Recoba
18 Mar 05, 18:05
Dalmat is a wierdo I know that, I followed him. He ain't no Chino I just brought his name out the hat. There were better players at Inter but he is one that could of been better if those years were spent under a Capello for example instead of Inter.

At the end of the day they obviously didn't become that team, Otherwise this converstation wouldn't be had.

Its all my crazy imagination, But even I couldn't come up with some of these stories that have come up at Inter over the years.

Jimmy
18 Mar 05, 18:36
Dalmat was a player of immense talent and also performed at Inter. But that was when he played as a winger. He absolutely ruled at that position, but for some reason he came to Cuper and demanded him to play him in the central midfield. He played in that position for months and sucked completely. But he refused to go back to the flank, evedentually forcing himself out of the team.

Ironically he goes to Tottenham who also plays him on the flank, and now Tolouse is also playing him there.

If it wasn´t for Dalmat´s idiotic demands to play him out of position, he would be a very important player for us now. I saw that you said WE ruined him in another forum, but it´s completely the other way around.

Miki
18 Mar 05, 20:17
Well we won't lknow, How can we know. The past is gone. I see those players in a different way then to you.

I used to watch Inter alot because of their class talents, And thats why I hated seeing such football being played. It mad me sick

We just have to use our imaginations, Those players wouldn't of shined the way they could of. Apart from the really great or hardworking players suited to that style. It could of been so so much more

But anyway imagine, If Cuper wasn't there those years and there was a basic balance formation and good management. You would say well Alvaro Recoba would be on the left wing and 'we' would play long ball ultra defensive football. Even when Ronaldo left we bought Crespo to play with Vieri and even when he got injured a has been Batigol played ahead of Reoba along side Vieri. 'The reporters would laugh and say' Thats rubbish, Recoba the Balon D'or winner? 2nd topscorer in SerieA behind golden boot winner Ronaldo? Vieri and Batigol? You must be kidding, You;d say yeah and the team would create the 2nd least chances in SerieA but Vieri would score the most goals. Dalmat would be a Anelka style nomad that didn't develop into the player he is now and would be playing in Toulouse, Inter would win **** all and Ronaldo would be sold to keeo the coach who wanted this style of football. Recoba would make many assists on the left but be called inconsistent because of these impossible expectations in the system. He would get injured and be training with the primavera with Egdar Davids...

Buhaahhah laughter around the press conference, And its ended while the men in white suits come and take you.
Well then, if you had indeed followed that season where Cuper took the team to within an hour of the scudetto, then you could well and truly see how amazing this team performed despite being quite offensively inept. The midfield for the most part was quite clueless about attacking properly, and this included many of the sub players you mentioned, including Okan, Seedorf, Dalmat & co. Like others have mentioned, we played the majority of that season without true wingers in its proper sense - if you watched Guly & Conceicao, you would also wonder how Inter managed to create anything. There is a reason why the fans laughed at them all year round - despite them trying their very best, they were at most mediocre players at that point of time. You must also remember that this was very much a squad in chaos when Cuper took over. Our central defensive partnership was new but managed to do so well.

Honestly, the players did their very best in Cuper's first season, but it seemed obvious to me that under most other coaches, the end result we achieved wouldn't be possible. Cuper's style of play, while seemingly not your cup of tea, did indeed bring about results, results that would have ultimately paid off had we not shot ourselves in the foot. I am convinced that if we had won the scudetto, nobody would have denied Cuper his glory and praise. However, 60 mins of self destruction stole the recognition that the man should be deserving of. In essence, a season's worth of good work is forgotten simply because of an hour of chaos. Sad.

Ciao,
Tim

The Count of Anti-Milan
18 Mar 05, 20:21
I copy and paste this friom the Mancini topic...

Here are the faults that seriously limit Cuper as a coach and things that, in the long run, damaged Inter:

1) He over-trains players. His fitness coach Alfano had methods that at one point had half the team was down with some sort of muscular injuries.

2) He is obsessed with defending and tactics. He didn't want to renounce C. Zanetti for Nesta even though players like Zanetti can be found on any street corner while Nesta is one of a kind. That speaks volumes of his footballing philosophy which is actually taking the team bus and parking it in front of the goal(copyright Jose Mourinho). His tactical rigidness prevents skillfull and genious players to express themselves and as a result he is unable to handle them. That is why Kaka ended up at Milan: he did not want him(and Moratti unjustly gets the blame for that). Nor did he want Ronaldinho when Moratti was first interested. And he chose Ventola over Adriano.

3) He gives everyone the same treatment regardless of the team position or talent. Believe it or not, that is a major flaw. Van Basten was never and could never be the same as Tassoti nor was Maradona the same as Renica, Platini and Cabrini etc. A champion is never on the same level as a squad player. Ronaldo is not Guly. Hierarchies always existed in the dressing room and always will, you could modify their relations but you can never ignore them. Cuper tried and failed.

4) The system he proposes is obsolete and predictable. The midfield of two DMs and two wingers gives zero creativity through the middle and is easily defended against if the oponents have good full-backs and a tall central defender to pick-off the not so many crosses that do make it in the area. No team in Europe fighting for honours deploys such a system. Also, there is no plan B to that except hoofball to the centerforward. As a result, Inter could rarely keep posession of the ball.

5) He was stubborn in his ideas beyond all limits of rational behaviour. He would never, ever ease up his training methods no matter how many players got muscular injuries. He never, ever made changes to the formation even when it was needed, even when it was absolutely necessary! Rather then change the formation to suit the available players he preferred to stick someone completely out of position. And even on the rare occasions that he did it was too little too late, usually 5 minutes before the end expecting intervantion from heaven, I assume. And don't get me started on the substiututes he made: Kily for Brechet when 2-0 down is now stuff of legends.

If you think I am incorect or exaggerating I ask you: how come no club wanted him on their bench since he was sacked at Inter, except a desperate Mallorca?

Miki
18 Mar 05, 20:35
Yup, in the long run. The managed 2 seasons where we finished 3rd and 2nd respectively. And got knocked out of the Champions League on away gols. Now, am i dreaming that this is Inter doing something great for itself or is it thanks in large parts to a coach who revolutionized Inter?

Sure, his methods wasn't widely accepted, but they worked for the time he was at the club. If defensive football, rigid discipline and other 'negative' points of Cuper's makeup was what it takes to get Inter to the scudetto, then by all means, i would take it in the blink of an eye.

Ciao,
Tim

The Count of Anti-Milan
18 Mar 05, 21:22
Yup, in the long run. The managed 2 seasons where we finished 3rd and 2nd respectively. And got knocked out of the Champions League on away gols. Now, am i dreaming that this is Inter doing something great for itself or is it thanks in large parts to a coach who revolutionized Inter?

Sure, his methods wasn't widely accepted, but they worked for the time he was at the club. If defensive football, rigid discipline and other 'negative' points of Cuper's makeup was what it takes to get Inter to the scudetto, then by all means, i would take it in the blink of an eye.

Ciao,
Tim

Yes, but did you win it Miki? No!

A simillar situation was in Liverpool with Gerrard Houllier. He also was a rigid, tactical, ultra-negative coach who at first, did bring results so everything was forgiven. However, once he was seen through, the one-dimensional game of his could no longer bring out anything. Houllier also chased away any player that jumped out of his precious system(McAllister, Littmanen, Berger) and brought in duds like Diouf and Cheyrou. Title hopes were all but gone, Liverpool were regularly loosing to not only to United, Arsenal and Chelsea but also to te likes of Charlton, Birmingham, Pompey some of them even at Anfield. As a result, the loosers' mentality set in as well as timidity on the pitch. On top of it all, the board could not see that it was the end for Houllier and hung on to him for too long. So now, since Benitez has not been able to either revive or get rid of the dead wood left by Houllier, if Liverpool don't win the derby on Sunday they may as well kiss the 4th place good-bye, and with it Steven Gerrard. That may bring other consequences, such as no money for reinforcement due to lack of Champions league football. Liverpool is looking at quite a long period of mediocricy and their fans are not even aware of it. You see, Houllier brought Liverpool back to respectable levels for a little while, but in the long run, he might have damaged them more then the European ban did.(Not that I'm complaining. FOREVER EVERTON!!! :P :finger: )

Cuper would have done the same, had Moratti not sacked him. Everyone has seen through his game and he was unable to make any changes. Had he stayed for a full season Inter would have not even made it into the UEFA cup! If I was Moratti, I would have kicked Cuper out of the club right after the shame of Atalanta-Inter in 02/03: at 2-2 with 15 or so minutes remaining he took off the only striker Martins and Inter played something like 4-6-0. Anyone should have seen there and then that with Cuper Inter will never win.

Handoyo
19 Mar 05, 05:24
I don't recall any game with Atalanta in 02/03 in which the scoreline was 2-2.

Finally the Cuper-lovers are back in this topic. :D

Hand;)yo

Mikkel
19 Mar 05, 10:46
Oh My God, have you made a new thread abouth him :confused: :eek: I have no clue why... Cause he have nothing to do with the club anymore... And I just wont to forget him. :yuck:

Handoyo
19 Mar 05, 11:27
Because he was the best coach Inter has ever had under Moratti.

Hand;)yo

El Chino Recoba
19 Mar 05, 12:09
Handoyo please don't say that. Its almost as bad as when people call Recoba inconsistent. Coaches get credit when they make the team play to its potential

Not play way way under its potential and steal games time after time defying the odds.

Anyway like I said before, In another lifetime things could be so different but obviously they weren't so you just have to use your imagination. That squad could of been something else. Dominating the SerieA In my opinion though.

Handoyo
19 Mar 05, 14:14
Look, Faisal. I don't know how in God's name do you get the idea that Cuper is not playing the squad to its potential.

Do you know how did we do before Cuper came? We s*cked monkey balls and Parma, Fiorentina & Milan had us for their breakfasts! Cuper came, install stability & consistency to the squad with just a little reinforcements and he came just one hour to winning the Scudetto. Had Cuper used a more offensive style but still achieve the same result, I'm sure he'll be hailed as a great coach. But the fact is, results are what matters most for Interisti and he got it, although it wasn't enough.l

Jimmy posted the Inter line-up for season 01/02 and I dare you to say that ours was better than Roma's, Juve's and Milan's line-up that season.

Thank you.

Hand;)yo

Pravesh
19 Mar 05, 14:26
I respect Cuper alot, for all what he gave to us .... Inter used to be like a circus ground before his arrival. Yeah, his team played bad football but did he gets the players he wanted ?? Ofcourse, I do admit that his team played defensive games with long balls, but still we did better under him. And now, we are doing more better. He brought the right envirnoment and taught the players some kinda manners.

At the end he had to go, but still I still respect Cuper :stuckup:

The Count of Anti-Milan
19 Mar 05, 14:44
Just so that you can't say that I hate Cuper, I'm posting this. I do not discuss Hector Cuper as a person or a human being I just highlight his mistakes as a coach. Anyway, here are some excerpts from the interview he gave to Corriere dello Sport:

"INTER, AVENGE ME!" (the headline)

"Milan eliminated us but they did not deserve it, this time we can kick them out and win the whole thing."

"We were very calm but it was one hell of a game. I felt really bad after that but the Scudetto lost on the 5th of May tops it."

"I have most confidence in Vieri, but in the end the team will be tha most important."

"For all I have suffered with and for Inter and for all Inter and Inter fans gave me, I can do no else other then be an Inter fan. Besides, there are still a lot of great people there with whom I spent some great moments."

Hammoudi
19 Mar 05, 14:50
Is that a recent interview?

Also Milos, Lazio can use Hector Cuper. He will restore them to respectability with the squad that you have. It has all the elements of a Cuper squad, enough of Caso's and Papadouplo's!!!

The Count of Anti-Milan
19 Mar 05, 14:59
Yes, the interview is from today. It speaks about the upcoming CL clash with Milan and the one 2 years ago.

And we are quite satisfied with Papadopulo, Hamed, thank you. ;)

Hammoudi
19 Mar 05, 15:10
Come on, this guy won't make the most of your squad.

Don't you want to go back to 3-4 place in the near future? Don't you want to go back to tasting European glory? Don't you want to see some Catenaccio? Just imagine what Cuper would do with guys like Oddo, Cesar, Liverani and Rocchi?

If interested, Cuper lives in Palma de Mallorca now, and he can be reached through his agent. :D

El Chino Recoba
19 Mar 05, 19:46
Jimmy posted the Inter line-up for season 01/02 and I dare you to say that ours was better than Roma's, Juve's and Milan's line-up that season.

Hand;)yo

In Cuper's world no, In Javier Zanetti's world of player manager. Yes it was if you include the other players at the squads disposal overall it was a great squad. Obviously not in Cuper's world like I said you have to use your imagination and theres no right and wrong with this. Just my opinion

SB9Dragon
19 Mar 05, 21:56
I said it then, and I'll say it now, I highly doubt that we would ever win anything with Cuper at the helm.

primo-inter
21 May 05, 05:03
Cuper was a good man. I respect him a lot. Each coach has his own style and Cuper's was boring, that was just his way. I respect him a lot as a man though.

Quotes from Hector Cuper
Another nuisance of the past few days is Ronaldo...
"I think Ronaldo loves me. When someone always talks about another person it means it's love."

It seems he wants to take Vieri to Madrid...
"I think he loves me."

What do you think about the incident in which Vieri threw a bottle at Trap?
"Trapattoni is right. Vieri is like a son, he's like that. There are moments in which he doesn't count to ten before reacting. He expresses himself in his way. Maybe others do it more elegantly."

Everyone that leaves Inter speaks badly of Cuper. Will you speak one day?
"Not everybody speaks badly. Conceiçao, for example, spoke very well and I know this. I think that if someone has something to say they should say it immediately. You don't make declarations afterward just to justify the current situation."

How much of a disturbance was created by the fact that you were without numerous internationals?
"The only disturbance is that I've had just two days to explain to those who have come back from their national teams what I've explained to the others in six days."

A forecast (for the Milan derby)?
"Forecasts.... I'll say 2-0."

A player to take away from Milan?
"No one. We're not scared of anyone."

MILAN - In an interview with Sky, Hector Cuper spoke about the criticism Inter have come in for after the first two matches of the championship:

"I can't be angry. Criticism is criticism, it's another thing to understand if this criticism is justified or not. It may be that Inter haven't played well, but the numbers [first position in the table and no goals conceded] say something."

Pani
21 May 05, 20:04
I said it then, and I'll say it now, I highly doubt that we would ever win anything with Cuper at the helm.

Let's win sth without Couper first...

J zanetti
31 May 05, 11:26
Well done to a great man! :star:

Mallorca left eating partridge courtesy of the nearly man

Sid Lowe sees Héctor Cúper pull off a miraculous rescue act, less than two months after announcing: "We're going to have to find a way to go down with dignity"

Tuesday May 31, 2005

If there was a competition for coming second, Real Mallorca coach Héctor Cúper would still come second. Like poor Buzz Aldrin, he just can't take that one small step to glory and when it comes to finals he'd be better off hiding under the stairs, puffing his way through another cigarette and pondering which tank top and dour expression to wear next.

This, after all, is the coach who blew the league with Huracán on the final day of the season back in Argentina before embarking on a brilliant European career of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. First, he guided primera división newcomers Mallorca to the Copa del Rey final in 1998 only to be beaten by Barcelona and then lead them to the final of the Cup Winners' Cup, where they were defeated by Lazio. And just in case anyone thought it was a fluke Cúper did it all over again.
And again and again. He took Valencia to two successive European Cup finals and lost them both, while cunningly describing the vital last game of the 2000-2001 season against Barcelona as another final, thus guaranteeing that Rivaldo would score the most ludicrously brilliant, last-minute overhead kick ever to leave him empty-handed. As empty-handed he was the year after, in fact, when Inter blew the Italian league on the final day, with Ronaldo blubbing his eyes out on the bench.
Yes, Cúper is a nearly man alright (as opposed to nearly a man; we're not talking Fatima Whitbread). Or, at least, he was. Because this weekend something truly amazing happened: Cúper led a football team into a decisive match and got a result.
"This was one final I couldn't lose," he declared, hiding the fact that it was also one he couldn't actually win. "It was a footballing miracle," he added - and this time he had a point. So, importantly, did Mallorca, thanks to a 1-1 draw that prompted a huge party with players crying in their pants, a cuddly devil mascot complete with the kind of squidgy foam pitchfork that'd come as quite a relief down in hell, and fans going all Chris Peckham (weally wild). At both ends of the stadium.
You see, at Son Moix on Sunday night, the season's last, Mallorca were in grave danger of relegation against Betis, who had a first ever Champions League place in their sights - and better still, a first ever Champions League place at their expense of city rivals Sevilla.
And yet it wasn't all bad news. Mallorca were playing at home and, a point ahead, all they needed to do was match the result of Levante, who faced the other Champions League-bound team, Villarreal. Most of Mallorca's players didn't even think they had to win, and they were right. All Betis had to do, meanwhile, was match Sevilla, who lost 2-0 to Málaga. All of which made things somewhat more comfortable than anticipated, especially with Cúper in charge.
True, Mallorca could never fully relax because Villarreal weren't sure of victory over Levante until the 87th minute, the same minute in which Mallorca themselves finally equalised through Pereyra, and Betis didn't know that a draw would be enough as Sevilla weren't killed off until the 91st minute. And yet there was precious little movement on the final day and Mallorca were only in the relegation zone for 17 minutes - from Reggi's opener for Levante to Josico's equaliser five minutes before half-time, a goal as heartily roared at Son Moix as the Madrigal. Villarreal, meanwhile, eventually defeated Levante 4-1, with two from Diego Forlán, who may have grown a ludicrous Beckham-meets-Mandela hairdo but rounded off a brilliant season as top scorer in Spain.
That result, allied to Sevilla's defeat, meant Betis and Mallorca were able to celebrate triumph together with a draw, prompting Marca and AS to go for the same headline: "And they ate partridge" which, for some reason, is Spanish for "And they lived happily ever after".
They certainly did (live happily ever after, that is; there wasn't a partridge in sight). Because, while the final act may have been free of twists, Betis's Champions League place is a huge achievement and Mallorca's survival really is a miracle, a feat that Cúper described as "a resurrection in every sense".
When Cúper joined the club at the start of November, Mallorca were dead and buried - and, despite a six-match unbeaten start, slumped again, ambled about disinterested and tired and were still dead and buried with eight games to go. Then, suddenly, as if the players finally realised how serious things were (for Cúper's approach hadn't changed), they started fighting, concentrating and winning, finishing unbeaten in the last seven games, picking up 15 of 21 points.
Last weekend they pulled themselves out of the relegation zone for the first time in 31 weeks, having been 11 points from safety two months previously and were replaced by collapsing Levante - the side that had a Champions League place eight weeks into the season but whose harmonious early days have been obliterated by in-fighting.
One Levante defender admitted that players and president Pedro Villarroel, "almost came to blows", but if that sounds like an extremely loving relationship, it isn't. Just as the one between former coach Bernd Schuster and his president, or the one between Schuster and much of the squad, or the one between some in the squad and some of the others in the squad isn't. Just four reasons why when José Luis Oltra took over he insisted, "I'm not a saviour". How right he was: Levante collected just three points from their final ten games.
The saviour, or so we're told, is Cúper, the man who sends his players on to the pitch with an encouraging palm in the chest (something that, when this column tries it, only results in arrest); who was greeted with a round of applause when he walked tearfully into the press conference room on Sunday; who, according to Marca, "never lost faith"; and who, said AS's match report, "is made of stern stuff. Cúper never gave in".
Which is a bit of a weird thing to say of the coach who, on April 10, entered the same room and announced: "We're going to have to find a way to go down with dignity."

cool_cuchu
01 Jun 05, 04:58
cuper is a great coach, I m not sure if he will great with big teams like us, but he make wonder with mid or small teams..

if cuper can win anything major, I will be in great joy coz I have much respect for this guy... When he does things , he has reasons... even when it is wrong...

too bad we dont win anything with him..., but I prefer mancio's way of play...

I still think we owe cuper something, our team was a mess when cuper took over, if we have built a team, cuper made the first foundation

Ari
01 Jun 05, 05:30
I still think we owe cuper something, our team was a mess when cuper took over, if we have built a team, cuper made the first foundation

Exactly. :proud:

With the players we had we even shouldn't have challenge Juve and BBilan for the scudetto, but we did. I miss you Cuper.. :cry:

We say we can't expect a thing of Mancio's first season. What about Cuper then? His tactic is much depented(spelling..) on wingers. And what about our wingers back then.. :rolleyes:

He lost some keyplayers then in the summer but still went to CL-semis.

primo-inter
01 Jun 05, 07:19
Cuper is a good man. However... he brought some shit players. Guglielminpietro? This guy isn't Inter class. Gresko? God help us. Conceicao? not inter class.

Anyway I'm very happy Mallorca survived. I like Cuper. Coaches like Tardelli and Lippi failed. Tardelli is a f-cking loser. Why did we ever hire this idiot?

Hammoudi
02 Jun 05, 01:24
Great article Ashkan, where did you get it from? I love the writer's witty style :star: :star: :star:

About Cuper, there is one thing that I find amazing. Everyone talks about Cuper being the biggest choker. But when did Cuper have a great and complete team like the Real's, Milan's and Juve's? NEVER

Yet, he is blamed as if he had a decent starting 11! Really weird, but there are those who don't know soccer.

And primo, Cuper request great wingers. The management answered that by getting the Conceicao's and Morfeo's. Still, he is being blamed for that!

Hammoudi
02 Jun 05, 02:19
From soccernet.com:

Mallorca, a side partly revived by Hector Cúper, but only because the increasingly desperate situation of the side obliged the catenaccio man to unlock the padlock and allow his team a more liberated approach. Maybe he's learned something, at last. He was even rumoured to have smiled at the end.

I noticed that as well, Mallorca were playing a flowing Cuper-unlike game. I don't know whether it's the desperation or what, but Cuperman seems to give up his stubborn defensive approach.

Hammoudi
02 Jun 05, 22:40
This article was written about two years agao. By far, this is the most fair and truthful article I've read about Cuper. I highlighted some important parts:

From soccernet.com:

Sunday, April 20, 2003

Roberto Gotta

The man who couldn't win

Try putting yourself in Hector Cuper's shoes. Or perhaps not, as you'd probably feel such pressure that it could knock you off your feet.

Another Serie A season is apparently going sour for his club Inter Milan, despite Saturday's injury-time win at Brescia, and so many doubts and questions are hovering over the manager that they could cloud the sky over La Pinetina, Inter's training centre, for the next decade unless Cuper leaves before too long.

There has rarely been a more high-profile and talked about coach in Inter's recent past as Cuper, and Inter have had plenty of them in their quest for the Scudetto a title that has been missing from the Black and Blue half of Milan since 1989: Mircea Lucescu, Roy Hodgson, Marcello Lippi, Marco Tardelli to name only a few.

Their 'plight' - if this word can be used for a club which has been consistently among the top three and is now a regular Champions League participant - has baffled observers who have been predicting for at least three years that 'this is the season'.

Their near-misses are already the lore of legend, of ridicule among other fans and of despair for Inter followers who still have nightmares about the events of May 5, 2002, when Cuper's team put on a horror show against Lazio at the Stadio Olimpico, twice taking the lead before losing 4-2, and presenting Juventus, winner at Udinese on the day, their 26th title.

This season, Cuper has been under fire for a variety of reasons. Among them, oddly enough, are not being stern enough and also being too stern, which goes to show how desperate his situation is.

Cuper had created a name for himself in Europe by leading Mallorca to a Cup Winners' Cup final and third place in La Liga. He also led Valencia to two Champions League finals, but even his supporters cannot have failed to notice that Valencia never won the big prize with him and only took the Liga title after he'd left for Milan, although one could see his blueprint in that team.

His team selections have been harshly criticized as confusing and lacking flair, but it must be said he's never had the players he wanted and needed for his trusted 4-4-2 formation, which he only recently strayed from by deploying three strikers in a disastrous 1-2 defeat at Udinese.

Inter lack true wide players. Javier Zanetti certainly does not fit the bill on the right and whoever plays on the left, an Inter sore point for ages, is not up to the task.

Inter, and club President Massimo Moratti, appear intent on adding players with no apparent regard to their position and this has put Cuper in a difficult position.

It was widely known he'd taken Mallorca and Valencia to their zenith by using players who were not household names and who subsequently have not lived up to their reputation elsewhere, but it was hoped he'd have a much better choice at Inter.

But Cuper's improved choice was limited and the pedestrian play of his team in the middle of the park have given Inter a reputation as a team with a lot of energy and talent but no identity.

They have a great striker in Christian Vieri, who gets fed a lot by teammates wary of his reactions if they fail to do so, but also have a suspect defence, where Fabio Cannavaro has had a lot of poor games, and a goalkeeper who's not been as consistent as required.

However, Inter can count on a fair number of empathizing media, but somehow lack the credibility of Juventus and Milan, and the more refined observers have noticed that Cuper tends to be asked tougher questions and to be ridiculed much more than Marcello Lippi and Carlo Ancelotti, his counterparts at Juve and Milan.
Lippi can shock and awe reporters with his stern replies and has the backing of the distinctly unfunny Juventus directors, while Ancelotti gets away with being a genuinely decent person and has been put under more pressure by his own directors than the media.

Some pinpoint Inter's lack of 'gravitas' as a problem and put it down to owner Moratti, whose role and influence on the team are also being brought into question.

Many say Moratti is too much of a fan to be an impartial judge of talent and sometimes his personal bias can do more harm than good, as reflected by his admiration for Ryan Giggs who may or may not be (like so many before him) the missing link for Inter.

But Giggs would hardly be a long term solution, and Pinetina insiders say Moratti's own down-to-earth behaviour can undermine Cuper's position. How can a player truly respect his manager when the owner himself walks into the Pinetina and makes coffee for himself and some of the players and treats them like royalty?

This has been one of the reasons some have called for Cuper to resign rather than be subjected to this apparent disrespect, but the same traits of scrupulousness and dedication which have made him a successful coach have prevented him from thumbing his nose at his critics.

But it now seems Moratti himself is beginning to lose patience with his cigarette-card collection of players and has asked them to accept a consistent reduction of wages, some of them possibly being paid in real estate or other goods rather than money.

Some critics grumble about Cuper's choice of playing Gabriel Batistuta, who has looked as out of sorts as everybody had predicted. Some suggest Cuper sticks with Batistuta out of loyalty to a fellow Argentinian, while others claim Cuper keeps playing 'Batigol' so everyone can see that Moratti's signings lead the team nowhere.

Cuper may be non-confrontational with the media and always keeps his composure, but you can bet he'd like to win with Inter above everything else.

Inter are known as a mess in Italy, but Cuper still has chances of bringing out his weapons of mass destruction and the Champions League quarter-final return at the Mestalla against Valencia may prove to be one of those occasions.

One day he may even have players who can fit right in to his 4-4-2, but will it be at Inter? Well Cuper's contract runs until 2005.

Moratti may be tired of the revolving-door policy of hiring coaches and has recently said 'if it's up to me, Cuper is staying', but since he's the owner and has full power, does that mean someone else has a hand in determining who the manager is? Stay tuned.

J zanetti
03 Jun 05, 10:20
Great article Ashkan, where did you get it from? I love the writer's witty style :star: :star: :star:

About Cuper, there is one thing that I find amazing. Everyone talks about Cuper being the biggest choker. But when did Cuper have a great and complete team like the Real's, Milan's and Juve's? NEVER

Yet, he is blamed as if he had a decent starting 11! Really weird, but there are those who don't know soccer.

And primo, Cuper request great wingers. The management answered that by getting the Conceicao's and Morfeo's. Still, he is being blamed for that!

Here you go Hamed,
http://football.guardian.co.uk/continentalfootball/story/0,15758,1496041,00.html

The Count of Anti-Milan
04 Jun 05, 14:17
Well, I hate to rain on this thread but if Cuper had blown it on the very last step every time with every club in every country he worked at,and surely there is a reason and a logical explanation for that. It can't all be down just to inadequate roster or injuries or bad luck or whatever. And while reading the article about how he managed to save Mallorca I believe I have nailed it...

I believe that Cuper's major defect is not being able to release psychological pressure that there is on the players once the push finally comes to the shove. Remeber what he said in April: "We have to find a way to go down with dignity." Intentionally or not, there and then he lifted the pressure off and to me it is no coincidence that from that day on Mallorca started playing better. I just hope he learned something from this.

Hammoudi
04 Jun 05, 17:02
Yeah, good point Milos, he is learning to change his coaching techniques with Mallorca.

I heared Lazio have a vacancy now, and it seems that Zeman is going to Roma, and Trapattoni won't coach Lazio. You really need Cuper, he will take you from the mess to a 3-4 place finish, then you can let him go.

Lazio is taylor-made for him, you have great wingers, and gritty players.

But back to the point, you still don't acknowledge the fact that he never had a great squad. You can't compare his achievements to other great coaches who had full squads. And when you say he didn't win anything, you are forgetting that to win you need more than coaches.

When is the last team a less-than complete squad won a major tounrament? I don't remember. Greece and Porto were underdogs, but they had a full squad.

The Count of Anti-Milan
04 Jun 05, 17:10
Valencia had a full squad, adapted to his 4-4-2. Also, this season's Liverpool came out of nowhere...

Hammoudi
04 Jun 05, 17:16
No, Valencia most certainly didn't have a full squad. They didn't have goal scoring CF, both Carew and Sanchez were support strikers. This is Valencia's eternal problem, they always get most of their goals from midfielders like Baraja and Vincente.

As for Liverpool, they too had a full squad. They had good players in every department. And even when they had injuries, they had players like Baros who can score goals.

We didn't have any wingers or a good CD for him, Valencia didn't have any pure goal scorers either. I am not saying give him a superstar squad, but rather a full squad when all the players can do their job.

Handoyo
05 Jun 05, 06:07
Well, if I remember correctly, Valencia had a certain Claudio Lopez when Cuper was there. I know that he is not your out-and-out striker but he was certainly banging them in.

Maybe Milos just don't like Cuper for thrashing his Lazio in CL. :D (Just kidding, Milos. ;))

Hand;)yo

Hammoudi
05 Jun 05, 06:20
Well, if I remember correctly, Valencia had a certain Claudio Lopez when Cuper was there. I know that he is not your out-and-out striker but he was certainly banging them in.

Maybe Milos just don't like Cuper for thrashing his Lazio in CL. :D (Just kidding, Milos. ;))

Hand;)yo

Yeah, Lopez was not your pure striker, and he was sold after the first year. Where is he now btw?

Valencia have so many midfielders that can score that it continues to obstruct them from getting a pure goal scorer.

Now they go and get headache Kluivert, which would solve nothing. And they let go of Oliveira, who is a great pure CF. I guess Benitez was right when accusing their board of not knowing about soccer.

primo-inter
05 Jun 05, 06:50
I think Claudio Lopez is playing for 'America' in Mexican league. He's seemed to have disappeared after 2002 world cup. I remember he was good though.

Hammoudi
05 Jun 05, 06:55
He wasn't even Spanish but an Argentian, still failed?

Well, Lazio have certainly destroyed some great stars, more than our magnitude. They had established stars coming, and then getting finished.

De La Pena, Mendieta, Gascoigne, Salas and Lopez. We have our fare share, but by no means did we forever destroy establishes stars. But in the media, it's ONLY INTER!!!

Frisko
05 Jun 05, 12:34
He wasn't even Spanish but an Argentian, still failed?

Well, Lazio have certainly destroyed some great stars, more than our magnitude. They had established stars coming, and then getting finished.

De La Pena, Mendieta, Gascoigne, Salas and Lopez. We have our fare share, but by no means did we forever destroy establishes stars. But in the media, it's ONLY INTER!!!

Lazio didn't destroy Salas at all. Juve did that.

Gaetan
05 Jun 05, 19:41
Lazio didn't destroy Salas at all. Juve did that.

With all due respect, how on earth is Juventus responsible for a players injuries?

Hammoudi
05 Jun 05, 19:52
It's not the injuries, they screwed him up as well. They had no trust on him whatsoever, and when he was injured they didn't show faith on him.

You can concur that from his statements as well, his agent always says he doesn't want to re-join Juve, he prefers River Plate for crying out loud!

Hammoudi
05 Jun 05, 20:32
No, Please. He should take over Lazio, they suit each other better.

Cuper To Roma? Not Yet
6/5/2005 8:18:00 PM
Mallorca boss Hector Cuper refused claims he is close to accepting AS Roma’s vacant coaching role.
“Me to Roma? For now no,” said the former Inter boss.

“They have a great fan base and an electric atmosphere, but I have other priorities right now, and Mallorca are on of these,” he continued.

Zeman and Spalletti are also being linked to the Giallorosso hot-seat

El Chino Recoba
06 Jun 05, 00:21
Mallorca stayed up, good, thats his level.

Way out of his depth at Inter, seriously I can't see what a coaches job is then? just doing the formation? If all these players he had were under many other coaches over 2 years, they would seem much better to all of you. Its about what they could be, their meduim level, not when the team is limited and basically a disgrace for all the quality they have at their disposal, At Inter it was the players, not a team but individuals, like there was no manager, just some guy who overworked them in training and made them run alot and hit long balls to Vieri. But the results came and people only look at results, well look at them, give credit to who, the players IMO, Cuper is good for other clubs but the last in line for that Inter

Its blatant that he had a better squad man for man, just didn't build a strong team, you might thing he did better than Lippi etc, BS, he fluked the results, seriously and he was given more time than any other coach in Inter's history.

Its Moratti at the end of the day and Hamed you will always disagree with me on this topic but I respect your opinion anyway. that writer is Sid Lowe he is very good I agree.

One thing I can say is Hector Cuper is 10 times the man Roberto Mancini is

Hammoudi
06 Jun 05, 00:41
I get your point Faisal, but until Cuper screws up with a full team, I will have my opinion.

As for the players that you say were good and would be good under any other coach, let's do a quick where are they know for some:

Grestsko: Last I heared he was with Blackburn I think, or with a team in Greece. Couldn't hold a regular spot in any team since we axed him.

Conceicao: Got released couple of times before landing in Belgium. He had a good run according to Squadra with an average team.

Guly: Released by Bolgona, last time I saw him playing with Boca, I think it was him at least, nobody has that horrible shot but him.

Morfeo: On his way to Serie B with Parma. He had a good season, but was extremely inconsistent. Not to mention getting sent off stupidly in the last game, so he will miss the first leg.

DiBiaggio: Converted to a CD because he sucked at DM at Brescia as well, but got lucky to hit it as a CD. He was still bad, but decent at times. Can be seen in Serie B next season.

Is it a wonder that we are doing great now with a whole new midfield?

El Chino Recoba
06 Jun 05, 01:27
Yep that was it, giant squad made up of 5 players. :P

Hammoudi
06 Jun 05, 01:37
No, but these were the players we had in our starting 11 who will never get such a status with any team challenging for a title.

They were a LB, LW, RW, DM and another LW. Where else on earth would such players play in a 'big' club?

El Chino Recoba
06 Jun 05, 02:06
Gresko Guly, weren't that good I agree, but the other 3 were good players at their best and under better guidance, but frankly they were not your key players, these were just squad players.

Players like Christian Vieri, Alvaro Recoba, Javier Zanetti, Francesco Toldo, Ivan Cordoba all in their prime remember and all some of the greatest players in the position in the last decade, added with other top players like Crespo Canna Emre etc etc regardless if they showed their best under Cuper or not, this is better than Juventus, Juve over the years have never had a Inter squad, they just make the best out of what they have, bar a young Henry under Ancelotti they rarely have flops, think about it.

Just because they make more out of what they have, doesn't mean you ever had less quality, I honestly don't see how this is a debate.

Anyway man Im off to bed, like I said I have nothing against Cuper personally but people who know me here know that I don't ever bash a coach, never do I criticise a coach like I do to Cuper and his spell at Inter.

Hammoudi
06 Jun 05, 03:25
Not to forget that Juve get favours all the time. Think about it, we grind our teeth and work our asses of to get a point or three points. They deserve their sometimes, but they get an unbelievable amount of favours by the refs.

The PK against Roma, the non-existent FK they scored against Bologna and the no-goal counted against Chieve are some of the examples. If we have their 'luck' we would've won scudetti.

InterFCAustin
08 Jun 05, 02:58
i would be very dissapointed if i see Cuper coach any italian teams....i think he;s love for inter wont let it do..i admire that man...sometimes i wanna cry why he's not with us...at least make him some kind of director..just to be there

cool_cuchu
08 Jun 05, 03:23
Cuper is a great coach, he may not be suitable for us, but he laid foundation (i must be bored to say this too many times)..
As far as I remember, under cuper era , we are starting to buy more wisely... even though cuper's choice of players don't suit us... Cuper likes hardworking players...

if we can get back to the time cuper is still in power..., we can see how annoyed we are to see the fact that cuper is very stubborn to play certain unknown players, to stick with 4-4-2, to replace an attacker with defender when we are behind on score line.... I dont understand cuper's tactics and choices...

but cuper's making inter players to play hard everytime.... we face each game with the mentality of a small team, to play hard..

I like his approach, I just think it needs some adjustment for inter needs, the Zac came... Zac is taking a hard working squad but unable to play attacking game.. Zac is a defensive coach, but he's much more offensive than our cuper man.... I also respect Zac very much... for his love to inter and his dedication to us... But I dont think Zac is coach for inter future.. He has a rather conservative approach that doesnt make inter look like a great club...

Then we have mancini now, mancio is a gamble, but he has potential to be great... He has the potential to bring inter into a new era.... Let him prove it to us next season...

Hammoudi
08 Jun 05, 03:37
i would be very dissapointed if i see Cuper coach any italian teams....i think he;s love for inter wont let it do..i admire that man...sometimes i wanna cry why he's not with us...at least make him some kind of director..just to be there

You are telling me man :cry: I feel the same, but I know for the good of Inter, Mancini is better now than Cuper.

A while ago, I saw that compilation of goals by Recoba. There was a goal that Recoba scored from a FK against Roma. Then Cuper was happy and throwing fists, and then went back to his cold manner. I really wanted to cry when I saw that, those were the days :proud:

NeRanZurri
08 Jun 05, 04:14

You are telling me man :cry: I feel the same, but I know for the good of Inter, Mancini is better now than Cuper.

A while ago, I saw that compilation of goals by Recoba. There was a goal that Recoba scored from a FK against Roma. Then Cuper was happy and throwing fists, and then went back to his cold manner. I really wanted to cry when I saw that, those were the days :proud:
Altough i remember only the late days of his era in Inter.. im still understand this, i love coaches who is feeling and exciting in their heart what good and what bad for the team, and got soul, and love the team, that i think is the most beautifull thing in football, when emotions become part of the game. :star:

InterFCAustin
09 Jun 05, 03:38

Altough i remember only the late days of his era in Inter.. im still understand this, i love coaches who is feeling and exciting in their heart what good and what bad for the team, and got soul, and love the team, that i think is the most beautifull thing in football, when emotions become part of the game. :star:

cuper is born for inter...i like mancini too....but i feel sorry for cuper...he's such a lad..god bless himwherever he is

Granit
27 Nov 05, 22:55
Mallorca coach Cuper missing Serie A

Real Mallorca coach Hector Cuper admits he'd welcome the chance to work again in Serie A.
The former Inter Milan trainer said: "I miss Italy so much, from football to the life outside - I hope to return, even also to Inter!

"Ronaldo? He is a champion with which I have had some problems, but as a player is superb. Unfortunately, I've never had the chance to clear the air with him."

Hammoudi
27 Nov 05, 23:23
Cuper is really unfortunate it seems. He is in charge of clubs that don't fulfil his requests when it comes to players.

It happened with Inter, and now with Mallorca. He got many players that he wanted, but they didn't give him the strikers he needed. They are suffering for that, it will be a long winter it seems.

Mallorca should get Pandiani back.

Frisko
03 Jan 06, 12:00
And Frisko, I really hope you don't think that lowly of Cuper, but it was just in the heat of the argument. If a crippled athlete finishes second in a race, isn't that an achievement? Nobody would say that his style is crappy or whatever, but they would appreciate the achievement.

About Cuper: I respect him as a man, I obviously hate the way he plays football.

Sure he did well, but then again even Simoni did well, and God knows their ideas about football are atrocious. I also think that all this 'he brought stability to the club' talk has been blown way out of proportion, in a way it wasn't difficult at all do be better than the coaches before him, they were basically complete morons (biggest moron being Tardelli).

Surely Cuper is a man of honour and pride, that's always good to have at your club.

cool_cuchu
05 Jan 06, 03:59
Cuper should coach a middle class serie A team, and make them look like CL contenders... I love Cuper, but I remember the pain when we were playing under him. Cuper should learn to finish off... he is a builder... he can build teams but difficult to win things

Vic
05 Jan 06, 04:55
Cuper is a great person, I do believe that he was the one that started the trend to fix the sinking boat. When Tardelli left that season I thoguht I'd seen the worst that could happen in a season. Cuper brought us back to CL and to the semis. Its true that we played atrocious football and the players seemed uninterested at times in the games and to me it was then that he could have become from a hero to villian but Moratti decided to change the lot and even get out of the picture but still in the frame.

cool_cuchu
06 Jan 06, 00:09
Yeah, Cuper Man...!!
Few things I remember from him (bad ones) are he rejected to sign many flamboyant players that could become our playmakers.. I believe they were at least Kaka and Manuel Rui Costa.. He also is incompatible with Chino's or Ronaldo's style of play.

Cuper is a hero to me, but he has done what he could do with, other coaches with different styles have to come. You could see how the suffers when the coach changed. Inter has to start to learn how to play attacking football..

It was a needed and nice transformation :
Cuper - Zac --> Mancio..

I couldn't see Mancio as a stepping stone. He is the designated coach for us.. I think that is what management thinks. If he fails, this will suck more than ever.

Vic
06 Jan 06, 01:01
We are to succeed with Mancio, it is just fair. Our playing style is entertaining most times and we don't play an all defensive football style, maybe against Juventus last year but those games do happen. I am proud of what Mancio has benn able to do with this team!

Cuper was just setting a foundation that if he kept managing could eventually fail but the management reacted and we have a clearer sight now.

Nahtino
01 Sep 06, 11:07
Last I check He was @ Mallorca, but he's gon from there now ...

Where is he now ? Hes a coach I realy admired( Valencia days) I feel a mid log Serie A team could use him to great efect

Forza ragazzi
02 Sep 06, 12:54
Last I check He was @ Mallorca, but he's gon from there now ...

Where is he now ? Hes a coach I realy admired( Valencia days) I feel a mid log Serie A team could use him to great efect

I believe he's out of work. Why else would he be at the stadium to attend two of his former clubs, Mallorca and Inter, in a pre-season friendly?

Handoyo
24 Nov 06, 22:08
It seems like he had just given an interview with Gazzetta. It'd be great if someone can grab it for us. :)

Hand;)yo

Forza ragazzi
24 Nov 06, 23:03
If I'm not mistaken, I read that he wanted to coach Serie C.

ROAR
25 Nov 06, 01:18
It seems like he had just given an interview with Gazzetta. It'd be great if someone can grab it for us. :)

Hand;)yo

I think Frisko can bring the interview

M.Adnan
25 Nov 06, 05:49
It will be realy appreciated if anyone can post Cuper's interview (Gazzetta).

Grande Cuper! :star:

il_serpente
26 Nov 06, 02:40
i blame cuper for ronnie case...
i believe ronnie love inter so much, i still remember the team under gigi simoni coach we almost numero uno

interista
26 Nov 06, 03:45
Cuper used to hit on the players chest in valencia before they came into the field. Never seem anyone doing that. And again ronaldo was a crybaby, in my opinion he just used cuper as a reason. In any case **** ronaldo, 2 years injured with full support of club and fans. How did he repay us after injury? Forza Cuper

CUPER UNO DI NOI

Handoyo
27 Nov 06, 11:39
Found the interview. Can anyone please translate it? :)

http://www.javierzanetti.net/forums/showpost.php?p=220719&postcount=679

Frisko
27 Nov 06, 19:26
Found the interview. Can anyone please translate it? :)

http://www.javierzanetti.net/forums/showpost.php?p=220719&postcount=679
Hey my man, it's here:

http://www.javierzanetti.net/forums/showpost.php?p=220784&postcount=680

BFC82
28 Nov 06, 00:35
Interesting about the 5th of May. Despite the dissapointment and embarrasment, I would still have rather lost than let Lazio lose on purpose. I dont want a scudetto "moggi" style.

Alex de Large
27 Jun 07, 18:08
Hector has signed for BETIS!

M.Adnan
27 Jun 07, 18:18
I wish Cuper the best in his new job with Betis. :star:

I hope they win the Spanish League, it's not impossible with Hector Raul Cuper.

Suneet
27 Jun 07, 18:28
Cuperman! I expect Betis to qualify for the CL atleast next season.:stuckup:

Toninu
27 Jun 07, 22:33
Lol there could be a final in the future for Betis... Too bad they'll prolly lose it :P Poor cuper he could never win a final...

UhUhOleguer
16 Aug 07, 08:13
Legend!!! What a legend!!!

First the friendly win against Milan, now beating Madrid thanks to Schuster subbing Casillas out in the 90th minute for Dudek(who concedes the goal in minute 92)

wonderful..grande SEÑOR CUPER!!!!

INTER
20 Aug 07, 14:21
Since he is training Betis I think both of them, the coach & the team, get their shine back :D

Handoyo
10 Sep 07, 21:03
Poll added.

Obviously, Hector belongs in La Grande Inter. He took a ridiculous squad and brought back respect to Inter in the early 2000s after being the joke of Serie A ever since Gigi Simoni's 2nd place finish in 97/98.

M.Adnan
10 Sep 07, 21:13
La Grande Inter.

Average players, great manager.

Adriano@10
10 Sep 07, 21:19
Grande inter fore me too. Even thought i did not like he s playing stile but considering the players he had, and that back then Moggi was still active he achived great things so defenatley Grande inter.

Hasan
10 Sep 07, 22:59
Wow 100% for grande Inter so far, this guy is a legend and he's bigest victim of Moggi.

mexican_azzurri
11 Sep 07, 01:03
Somebody can explain me what happen in the last match when Inter lost the scudetto?? i just remember ronaldo crying....and the cuper face, that cant explain what happened...

Azzkikr
11 Sep 07, 09:48
Cuper grande inter? dunno.

1. won nothing.
2. had his part in the ronaldo "scandal"
3. totally screwed the team with ridiculous buys to satisfy hes catenaccio obsession.

The bad part outweighs the few good parts.

Hammoudi
11 Sep 07, 22:45
You're smarter than that Azzkikr.

He asked for Nesta and got Cannavaro, asked for Kily and got Guly, his problem was that he would shut up and do with what he is offered.

Ronaldo scandal? That mofo wanted to leave and used Cuper's preference for silence to his advantage.

Alex de Large
11 Sep 07, 23:42
Ronaldo has done that with almost all the coaches he had. It's about time he do it with fat old Ancelotti.

kova9
12 Sep 07, 09:38
As much as I almost hate this guy, I voted for Le Grande..

Lets see...

His tactics was miserable, defending, awful football to watch..
After a while, his lockerroom was split apart..
He made Ronaldo go away because of the theory all-players-are-the-same..
Hell, he almost made Vieri go, and Bobo had fans issues because of it..

After all this he shouldn't even be worth of mentioning..

BUT, in 1 season only, he made mid-table, crushed team, a title-contenders..
He made the way for Mancini to have this Inter right now.. And thats the only reason, and just enough to make him Le grande..

Wallace
15 Sep 07, 10:46
After a while, his lockerroom was split apart..
He made Ronaldo go away because of the theory all-players-are-the-same..

I don't know whether that theory is entirely wrong, Cuper is like Capello, enjoys having rational authority. Sometimes he can succeed, and sometimes he can't. Maybe his managerial skills would work in a small club, but definitely not a club like Inter with players like Figo, Materazzi, Ibrahimovic, Adriano who have high egos.

Suneet
15 Sep 07, 17:29
This happens only at Inter, a guy who took them from mediocre levels to almost greatness, even he is supposed to be sacked. :rolleyes:

Forza ragazzi
15 Sep 07, 21:37
Contender for most boring (and terrifying as I nearly died during Valencia-Inter 2-1, my first real match as Interista I think) coach of all time, but his results were out of this world.

Rimpel
21 Nov 07, 14:33
why isn't this thread in Le Grande Inter yet?

Forza ragazzi
21 Nov 07, 16:36
It has nothing to do there.

Cuper never won anything with us, no matter how promising he was.

M.Adnan
21 Nov 07, 19:11
It has nothing to do there.

Cuper never won anything with us, no matter how promising he was.

Vieri never won anything important with us either. ;)

Atleast Cuper never wanted to sue Inter and Moratti, despite being sacked. In fact, Cuper have always said good things about Inter. To me, I'm proud that we had Cuper in Inter.

Forza ragazzi
21 Nov 07, 19:48
Vieri never won anything important with us either. ;)

Atleast Cuper never wanted to sue Inter and Moratti, despite being sacked. In fact, Cuper have always said good things about Inter. To me, I'm proud that we had Cuper in Inter.

Me too, but he never did anything special for us, although semi and 5 May 2002 were great memories. Vieri scored more than 100 goals at least.

sergiu.inter
21 Nov 07, 20:06
i never really liked the guy...so i don't wanna see him in "le grande INTER" :P

Alex de Large
02 Dec 07, 22:10
Dropped from betis... but the team was playing really bad, sad for him..

shahz_nerazzurri
02 Dec 07, 23:23
Ah tough luck for Cuper. He is really not that bad of a manager. I cant understand his failure first at Mallorca and now at Betis. And its not like he is getting old, he is still only 52.

lonewolf19
02 Dec 07, 23:34
Ah tough luck for Cuper. He is really not that bad of a manager. I cant understand his failure first at Mallorca and now at Betis. And its not like he is getting old, he is still only 52.

yea, Cuper is the only coach get us closest to winning the Serie A be4 Mancini.
If only we had a good game against Lazio >.<

snake
02 Dec 07, 23:40
the guys junk, get over it. but like virgins, he was the first coach for most of these guys so they wont 'forget' him

shahz_nerazzurri
02 Dec 07, 23:56
For a guy, who took Valenica to two CL finals in consecutive years, and actually transformed us from a big joke to a club that would actually finish respectably in the table, how can you say this guy was junk??

Any who, not that I want him back or anything, or think that he is one of the best coaches out there, I still think he is pretty decent, and I am really surprised by his faliures at Mallorca and Betis.

Hammoudi
03 Dec 07, 00:34
He has to stop being a nice guy and accepting jobs from horrible teams. He isn't the type that would demand players vehemntly (just like with us) and makes the most of what he has.

Stefan
23 Apr 08, 13:13
Bravo Hector.

Cuper: Inter Were Cheated In 2002

Former Inter coach Hector Cuper has again re-opened old wounds with Juventus over the notorious May 5 Scudetto collapse in 2002.

Cuper was in charge of Inter when they had seemed destined to win their first title since 1989. The Nerazzurri went into their final day match at Lazio just requiring a win to secure the Scudetto.

However they fell to a 4-2 defeat, following a number of defensive gaffes, including one howler from Vratislav Gresko, and Juventus picked up the championship after winning their game.

Inter President Massimo Moratti has been a bitter about this capitulation for quite sometime, and a few months ago declared that they should be awarded that 2002 Scudetto.

Cuper has now had his say on the matter, and he also feels that Inter, who had been six points clear of Juve with five games of the season to go, were also robbed.

“I have run over and over the events of that year and I'll say to you one thing - we played against Chievo and Ronaldo was denied a decisive penalty,” said the now Parma boss.

“The referee was three metres away and pretended not to have seen it. After I understood why.”

These comments are sure to irritate Juventus, who clearly feel that Inter have no one but themselves to blame for throwing away the title.

Luca Capofranco

rockball
24 Apr 08, 05:33
Well in a later interview Moggi said it was because Inter have no balls. And the article also said that Cuper said the same thing. Did he actually say something like that?

Ziyad
24 Apr 08, 05:38
Whetehr he did or not doesnt change the fact that we lost the scudetto earlier...Not the Lazio game.

Handoyo
24 Apr 08, 06:34
It's a little bit of both, really. And I don't think the players had no balls, it's more like they had no brains.

lonewolf19
24 Apr 08, 15:05
Can we just drop that topic. Memories keep coming back =(

Alex de Large
24 Apr 08, 15:40
cuper > moggi

Stefan
24 Apr 08, 23:23
Well in a later interview Moggi said it was because Inter have no balls. And the article also said that Cuper said the same thing. Did he actually say something like that?

Cuper at that time didn't know of the moggi system. Had he know he would have never said we didn't have balls. He now knows what really happendend.

brehme1989
25 Apr 08, 09:42
He knew it back then too... It's something that happens in Italy since 1994. Who would dare to talk about it in public when there was a threat for your career or even life? ;) (same thing goes on in Greece, but it's even worse, so I know what I'm talking about)

Forza ragazzi
25 Apr 08, 10:03
Read about that title decider, Yuko. Seems very bad.

Handoyo
25 Apr 08, 11:23
He knew it back then too... It's something that happens in Italy since 1994. Who would dare to talk about it in public when there was a threat for your career or even life? ;) (same thing goes on in Greece, but it's even worse, so I know what I'm talking about)
Agree with Yuko here.

It's pretty much like the US invasion of Iraq. Which prominent public politician figure dare to openly and harshly criticize the war? Until someone confirms something, professionals shouldn't be publicly making allegations or comments about rumors I guess.

Choppin Onions
29 Apr 08, 07:13
Looks like he's on the verge of getting Parma relegated lol. I think they have 1 win since he took over... though, in fairness to him, Parma was pretty bad even before he took over.

Ziyad
02 May 08, 19:27
I really hope Parma miraclously stay u0p...Hopefully we can afford to lose that last game.

Parma under Cuper for a full season will look better,well results wise at least.I would rather they stay then Empoli,Reggina or Livorno for instance as they have a better history and hopefully can have some effect on SerieA.

Alessandro
03 May 08, 06:14
I really hope Parma miraclously stay u0p...Hopefully we can afford to lose that last game.

Parma under Cuper for a full season will look better,well results wise at least.I would rather they stay then Empoli,Reggina or Livorno for instance as they have a better history and hopefully can have some effect on SerieA.

Man i don't care about cuper... he's obviously not good enough if he cant keep them up... he's had at least 10 games to do something with the team... i'm not sacrificing a loss at home just for them!

Toninu
03 May 08, 10:15
The game is away mate...

Alessandro
03 May 08, 10:30
yeah i thought our last game was siena at home...

Ziyad
03 May 08, 10:51
If we have the scudetto all wrapped up who cares???

I would rather see Parma here next year than other teams.Plus Cuper has a shitty team that he got with a few games to save them.It wont be the same with a whole season and some new players

cloudq
04 May 08, 08:37
a few games?

few implies 2-3 games

hes had parma for 9 games already

and the best hes done is 1 win?

Ziyad
04 May 08, 08:49
Siena 39
Catania 35
Cagliari 35
Torino 34
Reggina 33
Empoli 33
Parma 31
Livorno

This is the way it stands right now...9 points to be collected so this is still wide open.Although its survival of the fittest and a team shouldnt be waiting till this point to fight for at least survival,out of all the bunch I would prefer Parma to stay up...Torino second just for the headache they can cause Juve in the derby :D

My reasons arent Cuper,although i think he can do wonders with them for a full season (add some players).More than that Parma have a better history and hopefully can bounce back to make SerieA look better..

NimAraya
04 May 08, 11:08
It's so dramatic when Cuper meets his old team at the last match of the season! His team tries to avoid relegation and his ex team tries to win the title!

06 May 08, 06:54
It's so dramatic when Cuper meets his old team at the last match of the season! His team tries to avoid relegation and his ex team tries to win the title!

I pray that does not happen .. lets just beat Siena and then if we can help out cuperman .. nice n cool

cloudq
07 May 08, 13:03
man f*ck parma

they may have been everyone's 2nd favourtie team for a while but theyve always pretty much been juve's bitch forever

i hope parma fall flat on their faces and go into administration

basically the italian equivalent of leeds

cloudq
08 May 08, 01:31
oh and f*ck hector cuper

Suneet
08 May 08, 16:26
oh and f*ck hector cuper

Yes, go on. The facts remain that he was the guy who had perhaps the worst squad ever and he came within 45 minutes of our first Scudetto after almost 15-16 years UNDER CALCIOPOLI and MOGGI.

I figure you are mad at the Ronaldo to Real Madrid deal. Sorry, but I would say in hindsight we were better off without him.

cloudq
09 May 08, 04:17
not only am i mad at him stunting ronaldo

im also mad at him stunting recoba as well

and im mad at his sterile attempt to play for results

and yes, he succeeded in getting inter within 45 min of a scudetto, he deserves credit for that but not respect

his tactics were essentially pack the defense and send long balls to vieri

we may have been a legendary catennacio team in the 60s but srsly those tactics should only be seen in museums

but im also mad at him for refusing to change tactics and especially for declining to sign both kaka from sao paolo and ronaldinho from psg

so yeh, f*ck hector cuper

and then he goes and f*cks valencia, and now hes f*cking parma

rockball
09 May 08, 05:00
cloud, those tactics are not in the museum. Manu, Liverpool and the lot are doing well only because of those tactics.

And as for stunting Recoba, you cannot blame Cuper. We have had attacking coaches in Zac and Mancini but none of them ever played Recoba. Its got to do with the player not the coach.

Suneet
09 May 08, 11:28
The only thing he did wrong was not sign Kaka. That is all and he had a reason, he didnt play with a trequarterista.

Recoba-Ronaldinho swap was made impossible by Mr. Moratti's fetish for Recoba free kicks.

and btw, he also coached Valencia well in the CL, more proof that you need to be ugly to reach those games. Yes he lost, but he got there.

So f*ck Ronaldo

Ziyad
09 May 08, 12:08
cloud, those tactics are not in the museum. Manu, Liverpool and the lot are doing well only because of those tactics.

And as for stunting Recoba, you cannot blame Cuper. We have had attacking coaches in Zac and Mancini but none of them ever played Recoba. Its got to do with the player not the coach.

I agree with you completely but i think Zac to his credit is the only one who got something out of Recoba...

cloudq
09 May 08, 13:46

yeh theyre not in the museum, small insignificant teams do this or teams defending crummy leads do this

inter isnt a small insignificant team, nor should we be satisfied trying to hold onto slim 1 goal leads

man utd do not, liverpool (cept maybe when crouch is on the field) usually does not

long ball tactics and lone strikers are simply too ugly to ever watch

as for cuper and recoba, there was a reason he never played even when he was fit

he couldnt defend playing as a striker and he couldnt defend playing as a left winger

cuper was obsessed about defending when he didnt ever comtemplate that sometimes attack is the best defence

defensive football only ever invites pressure and allowing the opposition to play themselves into confidence

Suneet
09 May 08, 15:52
Again dude, I'm a result oriented person, if we get the results, I dont give a rats-ass if we play 1-1-8 or 10-0-1 formation

A.l.i
09 May 08, 16:30
play 1-1-8 or 10-0-1 formation

Where are the 4 Dm's?? :stuckup:

Suneet
09 May 08, 17:23
Where are the 4 Dm's?? :stuckup:

You din get my point bro. As long as we win I'm happy Mancio can play 11 DM's and I wont say anything if we score 1 more than our opponents.

I was happy after the Lazio game, I wasnt after the derby.

Cuper made us play with a game plan, after years.

Hammoudi
10 May 08, 00:30
Stop defending Recoba, the guy is no good, easy as that. Why isn't he setting Torino on fire now? And was it Cuper's fault that Recoba got a fake passport and missed about a year??? It took him a long time to re-adjust and we needed to get other players.

cloudq
10 May 08, 06:41
Again dude, I'm a result oriented person, if we get the results, I dont give a rats-ass if we play 1-1-8 or 10-0-1 formation

and what results did he get us?

history will show inter didnt win anything

im sorry, 2nd isnt good enough, calciopoli or no calciopoli

the least he couldve done is attract new fans to the club

as it stands all the kids will grow dreaming about playing samba football for milan and not inter

and so what if recoba was stupid enough to lose a year

what happened afterwards? cuper kept ronaldo, kept recoba benched seeing as they didnt play enough defense for a striker

and mancini is doing to same thing now!

when was the last time we actually saw a counter attack that produced a goal?

in cuper's day we had vieri, who was the 2nd fastest over 40m at the club at the time and could single handedly hold off whole defenses by himself

and for that we came 2nd, 3rd and 3rd

for that, we send on kallon and martins far too late to overturn a losing result in the CL semis

for that, mancini is doing his best cuper impersonation except now we have 3 DMs instead of 2 and sends on balotelli and suazo too late

its a f*cking black hole on the game

its pisses me off to no end that we defend so deep opponents can set up plays where they get to shoot from 20 yds out, then launch long balls that we cant win anyway

doesnt anyone get annoyed that a big team like inter, cant attract brilliant attacking players?

doesnt anyone see that we have the resources to play attacking, possession football in opposition halves instead of defending on our 18 yd box?

doesnt anyone care that in 10-20 years, when moratti is 6 ft under that noone will grow wanting to play for inter save the few loyalists?

does anyone actually realise that zlatan only wanted to play for inter because ronaldo is his idol?

how many young kids will grow up wanting to be materazzi? or zanetti or cambiasso? kaka? ronaldinho?

it just boils down to football philosophy

its not whether you win or lose, its how you play the game that matters

now, obviously winning whilst playing samba football is great, winning while playing bad football is still good so long as it doesnt become the norm

and obviously losing while playing bad football which is what hector cuper has contributed to this great club and will forever be his legacy

rockball
10 May 08, 09:38
Manu not playing defensive !!!

Everytime they have come up against a good opponent in the CL, all they have done is have 10 men behind the ball and Ronaldo alone upfront. They can play with all the flair against stupid English teams, but in the games that mattered, Fergie has gone all out defensive. Same with Lpool, who have Torres upfront and everyone else behind the ball.

Suneet
10 May 08, 10:09
Cloudy, we should play video game football and start ending 3rd 4th in the league again. I agree with you, thats the way forward for Inter.

You can hate Mancio but he still won. He has the trophies. We can still win the double this month in a season which for you will be a "disaster".

Cuper never won anything, not denying, but we challenged in Europe, we went to the semi-final and we almost won the league with the crappiest of teams ever.For me he's the hero. I'm proud I didnt become a Interista when Ronaldo fanboys came. He gave us hope.

Handoyo
10 May 08, 10:26
Cuper turned us from being the joke of Europe from 1998 - 2001 to challenge for the Scudetto in his very first year. He also laid the foundation that Mancini would continue to turn to be a domestic dominator for the past couple of years. So, whatever Cloudy, you can use Cuper as a scapegoat for the failure of your favorite players or not for giving you fangasms with 4-5 footballs.

cloudq
10 May 08, 13:48
Cloudy, we should play video game football and start ending 3rd 4th in the league again. I agree with you, thats the way forward for Inter.

You can hate Mancio but he still won. He has the trophies. We can still win the double this month in a season which for you will be a "disaster".

Cuper never won anything, not denying, but we challenged in Europe, we went to the semi-final and we almost won the league with the crappiest of teams ever.For me he's the hero. I'm proud I didnt become a Interista when Ronaldo fanboys came. He gave us hope.

i dont hate mancio, he started off fine enough and has the trophies to show for it

i hate hector cuper, in case the thread title has confused you

Cuper turned us from being the joke of Europe from 1998 - 2001 to challenge for the Scudetto in his very first year. He also laid the foundation that Mancini would continue to turn to be a domestic dominator for the past couple of years. So, whatever Cloudy, you can use Cuper as a scapegoat for the failure of your favorite players or not for giving you fangasms with 4-5 footballs.

and then he turned us into a joke again, whats your point?

and foundations? what foundations?

besides cordoba, vieri, materazzi, di biagio and zanetti were already there

only players he brought in that are still at inter is crespo (after leaving again), cruz (to replace crespo)

what foundations!?!?

hector cuper has almost been erased from this team's history and all the better for it

you want foundations?? off the top of my head...

2001/02
loans pirlo out, buys c.zanetti, vivas, brocchi for guly, buys materazzi, conceicao, toldo, stephen dalmat, promotes kallon, buys emre

02/03
sells ronaldo, buys crespo, buys cannavaro (b/c we missed out on nesta), trades pirlo for coco (milan offered us rui costa but NOOOO, cuper wanted coco), declines to sign kaka (with brescia), promotes pasquale (?), promotes martins and also sells seedorf to milan

03-fired
sells crespo, buys cruz, vivas leaves, di biagio leaves, buys kily, lets dalmat go

seriously, can someone tell what foundation did he lay besides selling all our attacking players/declining to buy attacking players and then buying nonstop one-dimensional dickheads (toldo, cruz exception)

how does cuper still garners any positive memories is beyond me

cloudq
10 May 08, 13:54
Manu not playing defensive !!!

Everytime they have come up against a good opponent in the CL, all they have done is have 10 men behind the ball and Ronaldo alone upfront. They can play with all the flair against stupid English teams, but in the games that mattered, Fergie has gone all out defensive. Same with Lpool, who have Torres upfront and everyone else behind the ball.

at least they come out to play, at least they know where to launch a counter attack, at least their forwards are able to hold onto the ball

their counters actually work

kova9
12 May 08, 15:44
Cuperman should now gives us scudetto he lost :D

szogo
12 May 08, 18:46
Cuperman should now gives us scudetto he lost :D

No chance. They fire him.

http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/may12n.html

shahz_nerazzurri
13 May 08, 00:01
This is really really surprising. Did Parma expect Moratti to come up with some kind of deal with Cuper or something?

I dont see any logic in Parma firing him just before the last game. True Cuper got them in to drop zone, but to appoint a new manager for just a single game? Not really smart.

lonewolf19
13 May 08, 01:32
What a shock to see Cuper fired before his last game. I have same question as Shahz

bjwam4
13 May 08, 04:35
I can't stand Fox Football Phone In!!!! They don't know shite about the Serie A and now they are saying Cuper got paid off so that Inter will beat Parma. Also saying this will be our 3rd tarnished league title!!!

****ING AMATEURS!!!

Ziyad
13 May 08, 06:47
Well maybe its better for us he got fired..This way if and i mean IF (because it still didnt happen,dont jump to it like we did in the Siena game) we win the league i would rather people not say that it was given to them by CUper..

Now lets win the league...

cloudq
13 May 08, 08:39
im hating this

at least with cuper, parma had a culture of losing

with a new coach, they might actually show some fight

achilles
23 May 08, 07:28
I don't know about Inter not inspiring the youngsters. I think after 3 straight Scudetto there will be a host of youngsters watching. But obviously European success is what counts.

And the thing is, European success does not mean pretty football, it does not mean flowing, attacking play. It only means results. Losing Cordoba cost us a lot against Liverpool, I think Ivan was the man to defend Torres. When he got injured, things went downhill shockingly fast.

As for Italian kids wanting to play for Inter, maybe not, but the team does have strong international support! That will come in handy one day, with a Chinese wizkid or something!

And I have to believe there is an Inter phenomenon in Argentina, after all, there is an Argentinian phenomenon at Inter! For sure some kids will grow up wanting to follow in Zanetti and Cambiasso's footsteps!

It may not pay off soon, but with one good Champions League run Inter is again recognized as one of the top 5 teams in Europe.

darsez
04 Aug 08, 00:20
Best of luck, Cuperman!

From uefa.com

H&#233;ctor C&#250;per has succeeded Klaus Toppm&#246;ller as the head coach of Georgia.

Continental experience
The Argentinian's appointment was ratified by a meeting of the Georgian Football Federation's executive committee on Friday, the 52-year-old replacing Toppm&#246;ller who resigned in April following a disappointing UEFA EURO 2008™ qualifying campaign. The role is the former RCD Mallorca, Valencia CF and FC Internazionale Milano coach's first international post but his third job in the last 12 months having been sacked by Real Betis Balompi&#233; and Parma FC last season. C&#250;per – who guided Valencia to consecutive UEFA Champions League final appearances in 2000 and 2001 – will sign a two-year contract when he arrives in Tbilisi next week. His first match is a friendly against Wales in Swansea on 20 August, before the 2010 FIFA World Cup qualifiers begin with a home match against the Republic of Ireland on 6 September.

cloudq
04 Aug 08, 00:43
Best of luck, Cuperman!

From uefa.com

Héctor Cúper has succeeded Klaus Toppmöller as the head coach of Georgia.

Continental experience
The Argentinian's appointment was ratified by a meeting of the Georgian Football Federation's executive committee on Friday, the 52-year-old replacing Toppmöller who resigned in April following a disappointing UEFA EURO 2008™ qualifying campaign. The role is the former RCD Mallorca, Valencia CF and FC Internazionale Milano coach's first international post but his third job in the last 12 months having been sacked by Real Betis Balompié and Parma FC last season. Cúper – who guided Valencia to consecutive UEFA Champions League final appearances in 2000 and 2001 – will sign a two-year contract when he arrives in Tbilisi next week. His first match is a friendly against Wales in Swansea on 20 August, before the 2010 FIFA World Cup qualifiers begin with a home match against the Republic of Ireland on 6 September.

i hope he crashes and burns, bad luck to georgia for hiring such a tool

brehme1989
24 Apr 10, 20:09
Hector Cuper just lost another final :D

This time, Greek Cup final, with Aris(underdogs) against this season's champions, Panathinaikos.

1-0 to PAO...

This guy is destined to stay trophyless :P

mario.santon
24 Apr 10, 21:51
we have broken our curse, so I hope he will too...
this man is very good with smaller teams and build them to something unimaginable...

InterFCAustin
24 Apr 10, 21:59
Why is cuper in La grande thread?!?!

mario.santon
24 Apr 10, 22:42
yes, he doesnt deserve to be in La Grande..

Nyall
25 Apr 10, 00:27
Any place that hosts the likes of Zlatan Ibrahimovic deserves the likes of Hector Cuper.

InterFCAustin
25 Apr 10, 01:20
Any place that hosts the likes of Zlatan Ibrahimovic deserves the likes of Hector Cuper.

Oh,c'mon.as much as I hate the prick ibra,he did help us win cpl scudetto's.you can't ignore that.

Nero Indigo
25 Apr 10, 08:07
Why the fuck is Cuper in La Grande!!? HAAAAAAAAAN!!!!? MOOOODSSSS!!!!? :lol:

Choppin Onions
25 Apr 10, 08:14
To be fair to Cuper, he had some incredibly mediocre players at his disposal and still got quite a bit out of them. Not really deserving of La Grande Inter though.

Nero Indigo
25 Apr 10, 10:17
He shouldn't be here! HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!!!!

Handoyo
25 Apr 10, 11:09
Can't you see what I voted? ;)

We're not gonna change the thread's location, for Cuper or for everyone else, unless something drastic happened. (Like the Vieri thing)

Nero Indigo
25 Apr 10, 11:13
Can't you see what I voted? ;)

We're not gonna change the thread's location, for Cuper or for everyone else, unless something drastic happened. (Like the Vieri thing)

RRRRRRAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRGGGHHHH!!!!! :lol:

sergiu.inter
25 Apr 10, 13:23
maybe we should start another poll...we are now older,smarter and many new guys on the forum,and not so many of the old guys...time for a change,new poll,Cuper OUT! :D

Handoyo
25 Apr 10, 13:41
No

Nero Indigo
25 Apr 10, 13:50
:mad: Han!? for letting this be - I hope someone steals your "FORUM HAMMER" one day :lol:

Suneet
25 Apr 10, 19:34
Jesus where were all these cuperhaters when Cuper was coach?

Go see the teams he had and the league results this guy acheived. He made a few mistakes though.

Nero Indigo
25 Apr 10, 21:22
:lol: Yeah I loved it when he joined us! But that season we lost the Scudetto to "JUbE" when Lazio beat us 4-2 on the last day!!!? I CRIED MY HEART OUT - and since then, my hate for him began :D

Pravesh
25 Apr 10, 23:06
I always supported Cuper and still wish him all the luck. I still think that it was the Cuper era which gave the basic foundation from where Mancini and Mourinho era were able to achieve. It has been a step up ever since we got Cuper (except for Zach ofcourse:D). :thumbsup:

:star:

rockball
26 Apr 10, 05:12
For any player or coach, the poll should be for those who supported the club during those days. Many of the current fans would not have been Inter fans 8 years back and would not understand the pain and the difficulties that Cuper could have gone through. Easy for them to look back and criticize this coach now looking at handful of our poor results.

Luka
26 Apr 10, 07:16
Guly as the winger.

God... what Cuper had to go through :lol:

blackmore
26 Apr 10, 07:32
i used to love how he stood in the tunnel before every game and whack every1 on the chest as they would walk past him out onto the field......epic

La_Beneamata
09 May 10, 07:48
For any player or coach, the poll should be for those who supported the club during those days. Many of the current fans would not have been Inter fans 8 years back and would not understand the pain and the difficulties that Cuper could have gone through. Easy for them to look back and criticize this coach now looking at handful of our poor results.

But how can we tell who the new and old fans are? I only just joined this forum, which would count against me for the poll, but I have been a dedicated fan for more than 10 years (because i lived in south africa as a kid my first passions were rugby and cricket, it was only when i moved to england that i learnt to play football)

I agree with those that back Cuper, although i am not a fan of him, i totally agree that the team he had to deal with was rubbish when it is compared man-to-man with the likes of Juve (buffon, thuram, cannavaro, del piero, trez, nedved, davids etc. man those guys were good!)...also roma and lazio had far fewer financial problems then and their teams were stronger, as was the whole league (such as ACM not being a team of old age pensioners)
also he was the first manager in years to give us a good european cup run (uefa cups don't count) and it is still pretty harsh that we lost on away goals to ACM in our own damn stadia...and yeah don't even get me started on the 5 may nightmare...

Il Muro
10 May 10, 18:26
Agree with Beneamata. He made the team competitive domestically and in Europe. Previously we were a bit of a joke under Tardelli, Lippi and Lucescu.

Ramdac
10 May 10, 18:59
Oh i REALLY HATE Lippi that Juve scum!

Il Muro
10 May 10, 19:46
Oh i REALLY HATE Lippi that Juve scum!

Tell me about it. The guy changed half our team. He got rid of legends like Bergomi, Pagliuca and Simeone and hand picked the players that came in (which is very rare for an Inter coach under Moratti). I remember we were pre-season favourites for the 99/00 season and i was all excited after we beat Verona on the opening day with a Vieri hattrick. From there it was mostly pretty crap stuff from us, though i do remember Vieri and Baggio destroying Roma and also Baggio bailing out Lippi's sorry ass in the end of season play off for the CL spot against Parma. Lippi's time at Inter will always be a huge black mark on his CV.

Hasan
16 May 10, 19:41
It seams that we will need a coach, I wouldn't mind that he comes back.

cloudq
17 May 10, 02:43
It seams that we will need a coach, I wouldn't mind that he comes back.

hector cuper?

OH HELL NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. you want to find a faster way of turning inter into a mid table team? this is it

where are your standards?? from mourinho back to cuper?? thats suicide

we'd be fighting for the hiddinks, zengas, blancs to train this side

Wallace
17 May 10, 04:20
Cuper wasn't that bad..

I would question Zenga's coaching ability more than Cuper's, Zenga hasn't proven anything yet. If I were to choose between Cuper and Zenga, I would choose Cuper.

rockball
17 May 10, 05:49
With this great squad, Cuper won't be bad.

Vic
17 May 10, 09:17
Capello is the only resonable replacement for Mou, we can't risk too much.

sergiu.inter
17 May 10, 09:23
i'd rather have Mou than this guy.... :D

cloudq
19 May 10, 10:04
With this great squad, Cuper won't be bad.

arent you kidding me?

he'd play quaresma, mancini and muntari at all times

and never play pandev, sneijder or maicon

and trade balotelli away to milan for abete

Nyall
19 May 10, 10:47
arent you kidding me?

he'd play quaresma, mancini and muntari at all times

and never play pandev, sneijder or maicon

and trade balotelli away to milan for abete

WTF? Cearly you weren't there during Cuper's reign...

cloudq
19 May 10, 10:53
WTF? Cearly you weren't there during Cuper's reign...

i was there. i absolutely loved the long balls to vieri all game.

it was football hell. it was horrible. and they call mourinho defensive

Nyall
19 May 10, 20:59
And I supposed we played super creative football last year too... cuz I seem to remember long balls to Ibra...

brehme1989
19 May 10, 22:02
We had a festival of fringe players around! (Also due to Lippi and incompetent football directors)

He was very good with us in terms of results given the players he had. If we had 4-5 players MUCH better than those we had, we would have won everything.

With Ronaldo, Vieri up front, and Recoba, Ventola(Kallon) as backups
Toldo in goal
Zanetti, Emre and Di Biagio were probably the next best players we had.
Cordoba and Materazzi despite being good, were never world class. Cannavaro was world class but never performed here.

We lacked a decent left back. There weren't many good ones back then, but we could have done better than Gresko and Georgatos!
Sergio Conceicao was decent but not top class.
We had Guly, Buruk Okan, van der Meyde, Kily(after his prime), Dalmat(who was a great dribbler but had loose mind)

If we had Veron back then, along with Nesta maybe we would have been twice as good. Also left back was needed.
If we also had a good left winger as well as a good right one, we would have had the best team in the world. Left winger ie Kily back in 2001. Right winger ie Luis Figo back in 2001.

Instead of reinforcing the team and thinking about changing his 442counter, Cuper passed on a first option on Kaka(who scored against us the first time he met us with Milan), he passed out on Ronaldinho who after 2-3 seasons was regarded the best ever(incorrectly, but he was miles ahead of most players). He prefered a Crespo to Ronaldo because he was more adaptable to a long-ball system. Not that Crespo was not great but we had the best and couldn't utilise him, while with Brazil he scored 8 goals in the World Cup.

He made serious errors, but he was one of the latest errors we made, and actually made us learn from those mistakes.

I feel getting Mihaljovic will be a step backwards as I see him as being of the same 'school' as Mancini, despite him being a defender and Mancini an offensive player. I see Cuper as 10 step backwards...

Hasan
19 Jan 12, 22:46
Hector Cuper admits accepting money from Camorra affiliates but denies involvement in match-fixing

http://www.goal.com/en/news/10/italy/2012/01/19/2855053/hector-cuper-admits-accepting-money-from-comorra-affiliates

Can't believe in this shit

Ed.
20 Jan 12, 00:26
just lucky he didn't receive any from Moggi.

Handoyo
20 Jan 12, 03:43
That's a shame. :(

mario.santon
23 Jan 12, 13:52
i am sorry for him...

skyline1908
25 Jan 12, 23:50
I'm confused. WTH is this asshole doin in La Grande Inter?

bandiera
05 Mar 15, 05:39
Cuper has been appointed as coach of the Egypt National Team. Good luck Hector!

sidenote: I can't believe he is in La Grande Inter. though i admit he isn't as terrible as many like to make him out to be and he's been fucking unlucky in his career.

Pharaoh
05 Mar 15, 07:13
Hopefully we can actually qualify for a world cup now :yao:

Dylan
05 Mar 15, 08:59
Hopefully we can actually qualify for a world cup now :yao:

That would be nice :alone:

Toninu
05 Mar 15, 10:02
You'd probably get to the playoff for a World Cup spot and lose :P

raiden
05 Feb 17, 20:29
Lost another final :cry:.I love this guy so much.Always a dramatic defeat right at the end for him.

JJM
05 Feb 17, 22:31
I wonder if he is considering suicide now...wow,so many final loses
feelz for him,I do

firmino
05 Feb 17, 23:13
It's unreal how the guy always manages to fuck up the last match. This must be the seventh or eighth time.

Black Knight
06 Feb 17, 05:51
This guy's LGI? :yao:

K.I.
06 Feb 17, 18:11
Yah he needs to be removed ASAP, no poll needed really.

Pharaoh
06 Feb 17, 18:58
Depressing :(

Ziyad
07 Feb 17, 05:32
I love this guy and will defend him. First he doesn't seem like he aged at all. Losing finals apparently doesn't get to him.

Second his his team over performed and was disciplined. Third they almost scored in the first minute, so it should have been at least 2-2 or maybe 2-1 by full time, and it's not his fault the player missed such a chance. That chance actually reminded me of Recobas chance in the game against Milan in the CL semi-final.

M.Adnan
07 Feb 17, 06:58
Second his his team over performed and was disciplined.

Frankly, his teams always over-perform which is why I respect him even when he loses. His losses are also very unlucky and his team doesn't let it go without a fight.

Unlike another manager that I know who used to lose with atrocious style year after year despite having players of the highest quality.

Ffi201zi002tlis
07 Feb 17, 07:25
This guy's LGI? :yao:
Hello, we have Recoba, Figo and Simeone in LGI :work:

Black Knight
07 Feb 17, 10:29
Hello, we have Recoba, Figo and Simeone in LGI :work:

Those are separate arguments. I'd only consider Figo to be perhaps worthy because he was a class player and contributed to our Scudetto streak. Zanetti gave him the armband in his last game just so he could lift the trophy. That speaks volumes about both players.

But Cuper LGI? And I say this as someone who has a generally positive opinion of his time here.

raiden
07 Feb 17, 19:49
I really do not know what La Grande Inter means here on this forum but i hold Cuper in really high esteem for his time at Inter.We were very poor when he joined and had consistently under achieved for 2-3 seasons.We were really in the doldrums in Italy and in Europe and it was him who brought us right back to the top in Italy as well as in Europe.

We had been humiliated by the likes of Helsinborgs and Alaves in Europe and then under Cuper we went on to knock out 2 time UCL finalists Valencia in the Uefa Cup and then went on to make the semis of the Ucl the next season - a feat we had not achieved in the 90s and did not replicate till 2010 when we lifted the Big Ears.I still cannot believe we sacked a manager who won 3-0 at Highbury in the season they went the whole Epl season unbeaten :palm:.

He also brought us closest we had been to a Scudetto since 89 in 2002.That defeat still tears me up.

So if this is a Hall of Fame forum then Cuper deserves a place here because this guy pretty much rebuilt us and brought us back near the zenith of domestic and continental football.We did not take the final step with him but we really grew in stature in those years.Infact outside of 2010 i have never seen us play as well against a top team away from home as we did at Highbury in 2003.3-0 up at halftime is quite the achievement.

Hugo Boss
08 Feb 17, 04:01
No. Gresko should be in LGI

tonyclifton
08 Feb 17, 06:28
Man I love Cuper. His Inter team certainly wasn't the best and most entertaining Inter team, but we were a very tough nut to crack during his time. We scored tons of goals under his care too, despite not playing the prettiest kind of football. In other words, we were clinical, effective, disciplined, competitive, and would punish the fuck out of any opposition who didn't see it coming (just ask Wenger's Invincible Arsenal team). I still feel that sacking him that early in the 2003/2004 season was ridiculous. We imploded in the CL that season due to Zaccheroni's lousy tactical incompetency (Cuper wouldn't have allowed that 1-5 humiliation against Arsenal). The only reason why we managed to finish fourth that season was the arrival of Adriano and Stankovic in January.

He was formidable during his time here. Had done everything right, the only thing missing was luck. Yeah, it has always been the issue of luck with him. If only he had luck, he could have been hailed as a glorious coach.

M.Adnan
08 Feb 17, 10:55
Fair posts on Cuper's underrated work at Inter. Keep in mind that this was pre-calciopoli when Moggi and his Juve were toying the referees around and at the peak of their mafia network.

Toninu
08 Feb 17, 11:28
Those are separate arguments. I'd only consider Figo to be perhaps worthy because he was a class player and contributed to our Scudetto streak. Zanetti gave him the armband in his last game just so he could lift the trophy. That speaks volumes about both players.

But Cuper LGI? And I say this as someone who has a generally positive opinion of his time here.

Figo didn't contribute much to our Scudetto streak.

Fitzy
08 Feb 17, 22:06
Man I love Cuper. His Inter team certainly wasn't the best and most entertaining Inter team, but we were a very tough nut to crack during his time. We scored tons of goals under his care too, despite not playing the prettiest kind of football. In other words, we were clinical, effective, disciplined, competitive, and would punish the fuck out of any opposition who didn't see it coming (just ask Wenger's Invincible Arsenal team). I still feel that sacking him that early in the 2003/2004 season was ridiculous. We imploded in the CL that season due to Zaccheroni's lousy tactical incompetency (Cuper wouldn't have allowed that 1-5 humiliation against Arsenal). The only reason why we managed to finish fourth that season was the arrival of Adriano and Stankovic in January.

He was formidable during his time here. Had done everything right, the only thing missing was luck. Yeah, it has always been the issue of luck with him. If only he had luck, he could have been hailed as a glorious coach.

I seem to remember the 5-1 result came between Cuper's sacking and Zaccheroni's appointment. I think we had a caretaker coach during that game.

Ffi201zi002tlis
09 Feb 17, 02:22
It was Zaccheroni.

Armes
09 Feb 17, 05:10
Lost another final :cry:.I love this guy so much.Always a dramatic defeat right at the end for him.

The Ronaldo curse. I have no other explanation.

Toninu
09 Oct 17, 06:42
Some love for Cuper who got Egypt to the World Cup.

Handoyo
10 Oct 17, 16:24
Love this guy, my favorite Inter coach of all time only behind Mourinho.