PDA

View Full Version : Inter's punishment

Enricos
15 Apr 05, 15:32
Stadium ban and fine for Inter
Friday, 15 April 2005

UEFA's Control and Disciplinary Body has ordered FC Internazionale Milano to play their next six European club competition matches behind closed doors. Of these six matches, the last two are under a probationary period of three years according to Article 15 bis of the disciplinary regulations.

Fine handed out
This means that if a further offence is committed during the probationary period, the disciplinary body may order the original sanction to be executed in addition to disciplinary sanctions for the second offence. In addition, Inter have been fined 300,000 CHF.

Milan go through
The UEFA Champions League quarter-final second-leg tie has been awarded to AC Milan as a 3-0 forfeit and Milan therefore go through to the semi-finals on a 5-0 aggregate. An appeal against any of these decisions can be submitted within three days from the receipt of the written grounds.

Source: Uefa.com

hmm, Thats not to bad ;)

snake
15 Apr 05, 15:37
what a relief!!

but hey, i have a bad feeling in the probationary something studid will happen and result in us being banned.

Granit
15 Apr 05, 15:43
That's great man...only six matches...huhhh

Tommi
15 Apr 05, 15:43
Of these six matches, the last two are under a probationary period of three years according to Article 15 bis of the disciplinary regulations.
So, it´s "only" four (4) match ban for now then?

Am i right or am i right?

Enricos
15 Apr 05, 15:52

If u ask me, ur absolutely right, the last 2 are only when we do something bad again or something... Correct me if Im wrong ;)

Granit
15 Apr 05, 15:57

If u ask me, ur absolutely right, the last 2 are only when we do something bad again or something... Correct me if Im wrong ;)
There is no need to correct you...! you are right ;)

CafeCordoba
15 Apr 05, 16:02
I think this is a good decision. Now, clubs specially in Italy will concentrate more on the security of the stadium. Or at least I would.

Zamat
15 Apr 05, 16:16
Well, it could have been worse...

Now, that means the qualifier and the 3 group games at home will be held with a closed stadium. That's not so bad...

Jimmy
15 Apr 05, 16:17
We can say for now that it´s four matches. This will cost us so much money, because most teams get most of their income through getting money from the crowd. This will cause us to be able to deal with much less money during the summer market and also to pay salaries to our players.

Though, this is the best possible thing we could get. A ban from Europe and we could say good-bye to the BIG team Inter. Now we can settle to be a mediocer team in Europe next season, but at least survive.

Thanks you God damn jerks! (the parts of Curva Nord that has put us in a difficult situation)

Tommi
15 Apr 05, 16:19
By the way, how many qualification matches we play in CL? Isn´t it two? So, one qualification match at home plus three group stage matches at home to empty stadiums and that´s it.

If/when we go round of sixteen, then we can add some spectators to our stadium.

We´ll also lose "some" money, €193 000 plus that we wont be getting any money from the crowd. Don´t know how much we´ll lose overall. Good think is that i doubt our stadium would´ve been full of spectators in qualification and group matches anyway.

All in all, i´m pleased for this decision by Uefa.

Jimmy
15 Apr 05, 16:27
We play only one qualifier, since we´ll probably be in the first group of the CL-qualifications. That means that one game will be scratched. If we can manage to surpass the qualifications, we will play the entire group-stage in front of an empty crowd. Three matches, that approximately gets us more than one million Euro. I have no idea what those two other matches are for. Bad behaviour from an empty crowd? Doesn´t make mush sense.

With this punishment we can count on that the entire transfer market will look differently and we will see some more "Cannavaro" deals where the primarly object is to cut wages. Signing players will be a lot more difficult as well.

Those who don´t believe that football is so much about money, ought to watch the documentary about Barcelona which contained so much financial discussions, I was shocked. Gate recepits will kill us for next season.

Again, thanks hooligans.

The Count of Anti-Milan
15 Apr 05, 16:30
It's still a disgrace! 3 games top would've been right! :stuckup:

Tommi
15 Apr 05, 16:35
I dont think those gate receipts will kill us. Just sell Vieri for a million, Adriano for two millions and that´s it.

Moratti is handsome/wise/rich man. :)

Those who don´t believe that football is so much about money, ought to watch the documentary about Barcelona which contained so much financial discussions, I was shocked.
I saw that documentary. It came from Svt ´bout a week ago. Too bad it was spoken in spanish language with swedish subtitles. I dont understand either one of them. Still, i watched it. :)

The Count of Anti-Milan
15 Apr 05, 16:44
We play only one qualifier, since we´ll probably be in the first group of the CL-qualifications. That means that one game will be scratched. If we can manage to surpass the qualifications, we will play the entire group-stage in front of an empty crowd. Three matches, that approximately gets us more than one million Euro. I have no idea what those two other matches are for. Bad behaviour from an empty crowd? Doesn´t make mush sense.

With this punishment we can count on that the entire transfer market will look differently and we will see some more "Cannavaro" deals where the primarly object is to cut wages. Signing players will be a lot more difficult as well.

Those who don´t believe that football is so much about money, ought to watch the documentary about Barcelona which contained so much financial discussions, I was shocked. Gate recepits will kill us for next season.

Again, thanks hooligans.

Most of the income comes from TV rights and TV cameras will still be present. Ticket money is chicken feed compared to this. Also, the wage problem is more or less solved with the sale of Cannavaro. If Vieri gets sold or accepts a pay-cut it will sort itself out even further. So the future is not as dark as it seems.

And stop complaining about Cannavaro. He plays no better then at Inter, he only has Buffon to cover for him.

Jony
15 Apr 05, 16:50
"As well as the fine, the ban will cost Inter heavily in terms of lost ticket revenue and other income.

Ticket revenue for Tuesday's game, which attracted a crowd of 82,000, was over 3.3 million euros ($4.25 million)."

Thats a lot of money. At least in the group stages we don't attract that many peeps to begin with. Forza Inter!

Jimmy
15 Apr 05, 16:57
And while you mention that Milos, we will certainly lose money on TV-rights for the entire group stage as I doubt any TV-stations wants to buy the rights for a game that has no crowds.

A lot of aspects that needs to be considered. Might not be as bad as it sounds at first, but if you start pealing on that orange, you´ll see how much we will in fact lose.

Antti
15 Apr 05, 17:00
This will cause us to be able to deal with much less money during the summer market and also to pay salaries to our players.

In case we are able to keep our 'irreplaceable' players (first and foremost Adriano) I don't think that's a bad thing at all. :P

I guess we lost 5-7 million euros because of this issue. It's a major loss, of course, but not going to overturn the club. As I said this might force Inter to decrease their expenditure which would be nothing but bad.

But we will probably see in late summer what are the real consuquences. Let's wait and see.

The Count of Anti-Milan
15 Apr 05, 17:01
And while you mention that Milos, we will certainly lose money on TV-rights for the entire group stage as I doubt any TV-stations wants to buy the rights for a game that has no crowds.

A lot of aspects that needs to be considered. Might not be as bad as it sounds at first, but if you start pealing on that orange, you´ll see how much we will in fact lose.

It depends on the opponent and the importance of the game. In fact, pay-per-view might see an opportunity here.

Frisko
15 Apr 05, 17:36
We were lucky indeed.

Let's not make things too dramatic. Surely we'll lose some money, but when you think that we were risking to be kicked out of Europe, the damage is minimal.

We were going to make the squad smaller next year anyway, so it's not big deal.

By the way, I'm positive that we don't get ALL of the money they make selling the tickets!

Anyway, we got away with it. Now I can start trying to forget about this whole sad affair and concentrate on humiliate gobbi next week.

It's going to be a surreal feeling to play in an empty stadium. For me, the silence is going to sound like a voice saying: "There you go you fools, that's what you get by losing your heads and your dignity".

Jimmy
15 Apr 05, 17:58
It´s been estimated that the gate receipts will be up to eight million Euro. That´s the price for a very good player in today´s market. We escaped this, but we still lose a lot on pure stupidity and hooliganism.

Miki
15 Apr 05, 18:00
This is a comparatively light punishment IMO. I was expecting worse actually. However, the punishment isn't light in itself and this means we'll definitely be playing our qualification and group matches at home in an empty San Siro. However, that cannot be too detrimental as i am sure most teams out there aren't used to playing in such a gigantic stadium as ours with nobody inside. ;)

Ciao,
Tim

DISCO ZZANG
15 Apr 05, 18:18
English Unimpressed As Uefa Slaps Inter’s Wrist

Reaction in England to Uefa’s punishment of Internazionale has been, in a word, incredulous. Inter have been fined £132,000 by Uefa and must play their next four European games behind closed doors following the crowd disorder that caused Tuesday's Champions League quarter-final second leg tie against AC Milan to be abandoned.

Milan were leading 1-0 at the time, and have been awarded the tie 3-0, for an aggregate victory of 5-0.

Two games will be added to the ban on Inter’s fans if they re-offend within the next three years. The club can appeal against the decision and have three days in which to do so.

Milan goalkeeper Dida was struck on the shoulder by a burning flare as the Inter tifosi rained a hail of missiles onto the pitch following referee Markus Merk’s decision to disallow their team a ‘goal.’

A range of much harsher sanctions was available to Uefa, and when the decision of its Disciplinary Committee was announced on BBC Radio Five Live, the station was inundated with calls and e-mails from English listeners expressing disgust at its leniency.

Reactions ranged from amazement to unsurprised cynicism. Virtually every respondent called the punishment was totally inadequate.

The consensus in England was firstly that Uefa had once again shamefully ‘ducked’ the opportunity to come down hard on a serious situation by throwing Inter out of its competitions. Secondly that such mild punishment – seen in the UK as little more than a slap on the wrist for a club of Inter’s financial resources – would provide little or no deterrence to fans of Inter or any other Italian club from staging such disturbances again. And thirdly that, had the perpetrators of the mayhem been fans of an English club, that club would have been summarily kicked out of the Champions League for at least the following season – the implication being that Uefa is terrified of standing up to powerful Italian clubs.

Of course, a powerful counter argument to this somewhat cynical point of view is that when English clubs were banned – for five years – it was because violence by some of them had triggered a stampede that led to 39 deaths. The consequences of the mayhem at the San Siro were mercifully far less disastrous.

On the other hand, it is now 20 years since Heysel, and all the experience and intelligence that is now available to clubs, in the wake of largely successful English attempts to eradicate hooliganism inside stadiums, should be routinely deployed. Clubs and football authorities who fail to take adequate steps to control the problem rightly risk being accused of wilful neglect.

As for Uefa, many increasingly despair of its lack of moral leadership. The derisory attempts to admonish clubs whose fans feel free to indyulge in crass racism is a case in point. The response to the goings on at the San Siro will be seen by many as another abdication of responsibility.

For its part, Uefa believes it has acted tough. Uefa spokesman William Gaillard defended the level of punishment saying: "There will be some people who think it is lenient and some people who think it harsh.

"This is the largest fine in Uefa’s history. The loss of four home games amounts to seven or eight million euros.

"It is a hefty punishment compared to anything that has been done for over five years.

"This kind of behaviour is clearly not acceptable and if any more trouble occurs it is obvious that they would get something heavier."

Inter, it should be noted, have ‘previous.’ In 2001 they were ordered to play two European matches away from the San Siro and fined £35,000 after similar crowd trouble at their Uefa Cup tie against Spanish side Alaves.

Uefa clearly believes more of the same will do the trick. We shall have to wait and see if they are right.

www.goal.com

four European games behind closed doors home match is really hurt.....

IMO 2~3 European games behind closed door home game enough!!!!! scare elimination. :scared:

J zanetti
15 Apr 05, 18:38
Ok'ish punishment if you ask me.
One good thing out of lost income is that we hopefully wont be too active in the transfer market. ;)

Choppin Onions
15 Apr 05, 18:50
How can England complain about the punishment? This isn't Heysel where people where facking killed. Dida was struck in the shoulder because of his own stupiditity. Nothing more, nothing less.

4 games and a pretty hefty fine should be more than enough and I'm satisfied with UEFA's decision.

Hammoudi
15 Apr 05, 18:51
I dont think those gate receipts will kill us. Just sell Vieri for a million, Adriano for two millions and that´s it.

No, I didn't just read that, what? Don T wants Vieri to be sold!!! Oh man, I guess people change after all. Oh...wait, Okay, I see the ironic satire in the statement :depress: . But if Vieri takes a pay cut like that of Recoba and reduces his salary to 1.2M-1.8M, then it's okay. Still, we can make a fortune of his sale, but we don't want to lose Don T.

And stop complaining about Cannavaro. He plays no better then at Inter, he only has Buffon to cover for him.

Milos, I LOVE YOU MAN. Great that it came from a unbias (okay, maybe not totally neutral) source like you. I've been arguing for almost a year about this now, but still, most think he is suddenly great, look at the context people.

Milos 4 pres. :star:

Ziyad
15 Apr 05, 19:08
First of All Hamed nobody thinks Canna is suddenly great,read posts from last year and u will know.

Second he is better than Miha and Matrix combined,case closed...

Back to the topic,this was a fair punishment now we have to work to get our reputation back to where it was..

Anyone who thought we should be banned from European football can go to hell and kiss my ass on the way...

English fans unimpressed ??!! The hell with them too,at least we didnt kill anyone and the protest (although wrong) did not hurt one single fan from the opposing team.
Plus the English would luv an Italian team out of the CL,that should increase the ability of their crappy hyped up sides to win it easily..
This incident didnt deserve anything more than what it got...

Now i would like to see Merk's punishment along with Sheva's(i know they saw nothing wrong with that) :yuck: :yuck:

Zamat
15 Apr 05, 19:10
About the ticket income:

If the income for a game is around 2 mill Euro, the net profit is less than a million. Don't forget, neither team owns the stadium, so they have to play rental fees, plus all the expenses which the organising takes: staff wages, cleaning, lights, etc etc.

So I don't think that a 4 match ban will have a dramatic cut on the income. As others said before: TV will televise, ergo sponsors will pay.

Ziyad
15 Apr 05, 19:24
About the ticket income:

If the income for a game is around 2 mill Euro, the net profit is less than a million. Don't forget, neither team owns the stadium, so they have to play rental fees, plus all the expenses which the organising takes: staff wages, cleaning, lights, etc etc.

So I don't think that a 4 match ban will have a dramatic cut on the income. As others said before: TV will televise, ergo sponsors will pay.

Arent those costs too? They do get paid whether there are fans or not..

So in ur example instead of getting 2 million revenue and losing one to these costs now we wont get 2 million in revenue and still have to pay 1 million in costs...So we are losing no doubt about that.It will hurt but i hope we can recover.

Hammoudi
15 Apr 05, 19:27
I will not be dragged into a Canna argument again

About English media, they wanted Inter to be punished so that people would forget their black history. I tell them "Oi, things won't change lads" They had, have and will always have the worse hooligans ever. Please, don't even compare yourselves to us. All they do when travelling is drink beer in away pubs and then insult the opposite fans. Who the hell does that other than them? But they never learn.

BlueBacchus
15 Apr 05, 19:56

About English media, they wanted Inter to be punished so that people would forget their black history. I tell them "Oi, things won't change lads" They had, have and will always have the worse hooligans ever. Please, don't even compare yourselves to us. All they do when travelling is drink beer in away pubs and then insult the opposite fans. Who the hell does that other than them? But they never learn.

I think every country has its shair fair of hooligans. I think there is no such thing as worst hooligan, because a hooligan in its definition is already bad.

Frisko
15 Apr 05, 21:24
Hi Facade19, please can you tell me what's in your avatar?

Hammoudi
15 Apr 05, 21:30
That's either a young Marilyn Manson, or Christina Aguilerra passing through an identity crisis.

Stefan
15 Apr 05, 21:40

This season even thought roma were playing with no fans in their stadium both games was shown live here so I don't think it matters to tv companies how many fans are at the game it matters to them how many of their audience wants to see the team playing.

Inter is a quite popolour club so I quess we will get live tv games.

Tommi
15 Apr 05, 21:45
<snip>...but we don't want to lose Don T.
Why would you lose me if Vieri will be sold?

I was Inter fan ´bout ten years before we even signed him dude.

I will not be dragged into a Canna argument again.
Same.

Stefan
15 Apr 05, 21:47
About the ticket income:

Arent those costs too? They do get paid whether there are fans or not..

So in ur example instead of getting 2 million revenue and losing one to these costs now we wont get 2 million in revenue and still have to pay 1 million in costs...So we are losing no doubt about that.It will hurt but i hope we can recover.

The cost to organise the game would be less since without fans the security required is less plus you don't need to print tickets,match programs,ect. Which saves on costs.

Hammoudi
15 Apr 05, 22:46
Why would you lose me if Vieri will be sold?

I was kidding you Don T. :) But if Vieri is sold, there won't be clashes with you and it'd be boring. Hell, keep Vieri. :fero:

BlueBacchus
16 Apr 05, 00:37
Hi Facade19, please can you tell me what's in your avatar?

Sure, that is the face of a guy named Mana.
He is J-Rocker.
He used to play with a band called Malice Mizer, now he is playing with Mois De Moix.

catanha
16 Apr 05, 01:01
I apologise for making everyone else sh1t their pants. :D
That would equal, one match for the 3rd round Qualification.
Assume we get through, the other 3 is for our group phase.
If we get past out group phase, then it seems allright.

But we're Inter, we have hardly any motivation..and now with no crowd? :scared:

*assuming we make the CL.
But still, we deserved that, better than not being there at all.

BlueBacchus
16 Apr 05, 01:06

Mate don't worry, I am pretty sure the training staff will throw stuff at our opposition to fill in for their crowd.

Hammoudi
16 Apr 05, 01:31
Good side: We will get to hear Pazza Inter played clearly. :)

Bad side: Fewer games will be televised. :depress:

snake
16 Apr 05, 01:42
i think its fair.
if we get past the group phase it will all be worth it.

Jimmy dont worrry to much about money mate.

Edgar Davids is earing 3 million! thats practically all of it right there, Coco plays his last season under contract for free. so in the end when we cut off some more players, itsall right.

scutzon
16 Apr 05, 02:09
That's not too bad a punishment, IMO. It's only four games behind closed door, so it will not affect us a lot. Besides the slight financial loss. I'm glad we can still play in the CL next season.

Forza Inter!

darsez
16 Apr 05, 04:17
I apologise for making everyone else sh1t their pants. :D
That would equal, one match for the 3rd round Qualification.
Assume we get through, the other 3 is for our group phase.
If we get past out group phase, then it seems allright.

*assuming we make the CL.
But still, we deserved that, better than not being there at all.

Yeah...I was really freaked out when you said we might get a 5 year ban :dielaugh:

Phew.....now I'm so relaxed now. I hope we can get past the group phase next year so that this won't affect us more than a year.

BlueBacchus
16 Apr 05, 05:37
Yeah I don't think the ban will be harmful for us at the long run.
Maybe TV channels will be even more interested.
Heck maybe subscriptions to the Inter Channel will increase.

snake
16 Apr 05, 05:40

bingo, but thats only in italy.

i mean people in milan that would normally go to the game need to watch it on TV. which means TV for it would be popular there, but for people overseas...

BlueBacchus
16 Apr 05, 05:44

bingo, but thats only in italy.

i mean people in milan that would normally go to the game need to watch it on TV. which means TV for it would be popular there, but for people overseas...

Yeah mate, it really scuks :depress:
I really would pay the extra if I could have the Inter Channel here in the States.
Maybe if enough of us would write to Inter they would do something...

Ari
16 Apr 05, 05:46
We're truly lucky. :) Relief.

intermilansg
16 Apr 05, 07:06
Both Dida and Merk should get a same amount of punishment. One for bad refeering and the other for endangering his own life.

Frisko
16 Apr 05, 11:02
In the UK Sky Sports will broadcast ALL CL games, so this won't affect us *sigh of relief* ;)

Mikkel
16 Apr 05, 12:54
Well the show all the games anyway on Canal digital and Viasat, so here we wont lose any monay at all. But the ticket sale is a huge economical blow for us. 6-8 million Euros. we could get a player for that amount.

Interforeva
16 Apr 05, 18:27
I was surprised by this as I thought it was gonna be a lot worse! All the talk was of a total ban and being chucked out for a year so this kinda seems like a blessing.

rC_Ruben
16 Apr 05, 22:27
5-0 on agg why they do that for? insult to lose that against milan

AdriOba
17 Apr 05, 19:29
i think we were lucky ... because UEFA could punish us ... with a year out of Europe ... but UEFA didnt give any punishment to refeer who was disaster :S