PDA

View Full Version : General Euro 2016 Thread

Dylan
13 Dec 15, 20:46
Only 180 days to go.

ADRossi
14 Dec 15, 04:11
These groups are ridiculously watered down. Sacrificing quality in the name of $$, gotta love it.

Wings
14 Dec 15, 04:22
These groups are ridiculously watered down. Sacrificing quality in the name of $$, gotta love it.

Yeah, bring on the 64-team World Cup :yao:

Fapuccino
14 Dec 15, 06:53
It's saturated, but having a round of 16 for Euros ups its importance as a tournament imo. With only 3 knockout rounds, it's wham bam thank you ma'am.

ScottishInterista
14 Dec 15, 10:32
Yeah, bring on the 64-team World Cup :yao:

We may actually qualify for this one

Javier'sSon
14 Dec 15, 13:38
I was interested in knowing the views of FIF's members on the expansion, especially since many users (Albanians mainly) are from nations that only qualified because of it. Such as, Albania and Ireland.

On the one and obvious side, many will claim that the quality of the tournament will decrease because of it. Then again, international football has been a bore fest for quite some time now regardless of the quality of the teams on display. On the other, people from these so called 'lower tier' countries will experience the joy and thrill of playing in these tournaments for the first time. Why be a bitch about it I say? Let them enjoy it.

thatdude
14 Dec 15, 16:01
As a person with no interest in this (due to being from the US) I like the old format more. Now there are a lot of shitty matches and the tournament won't get very interesting till the knockouts, with the exception of the odd match day like Belgium vs Italy. I'm not mad that other countries are getting their chance, it can result in a cinderella story, but I just hate seeing boring groups.

Dylan
14 Dec 15, 17:28
Despite the fact Ireland wouldn't even be here if it weren't expanded I'm still against the expansion. If you're good enough, you'll qualify. If not, then you have the whole qualifying campaign to improve enough. I thought I heard somewhere that Platini (may have been another UEFA candidate) hadn't ruled out expanding it even further.

ScottishInterista
14 Dec 15, 18:07
I'll be honest i think the smaller nations generally have better fans than the bigger nations, it'll make the tournament more special for the fans there and thats one of the reasons i wish both scotland and ireland had qualified

Dylan
14 Dec 15, 18:55
Bear in mind that this was the last qualification campaign of this format. For Euro 2020 it will be the 'Nations League' format that I still don't really understand.

Fapuccino
14 Dec 15, 18:57
Bear in mind that this was the last qualification campaign of this format. For Euro 2018 it will be the 'Nations League' format that I still don't really understand.

The qualification process for 2018 is pretty much divided into two parts. The first part (Nation's league) is kind of like a joke, but it's still not completely useless as it can still help you qualify. The second part will carry the most weight and it's similar to what we have now.

J..
14 Dec 15, 19:18
Bear in mind that this was the last qualification campaign of this format. For Euro 2018 it will be the 'Nations League' format that I still don't really understand.

It is a disgrace.

The qualification process for 2018 is pretty much divided into two parts. The first part (Nation's league) is kind of like a joke, but it's still not completely useless as it can still help you qualify. The second part will carry the most weight and it's similar to what we have now.

The Euro 2020 it self is as much a joke with 13 venues in 13 different countries. Platini called it for a "romantic event" to celebrate UEFA's 60 years birthday but I rather think it had to do with the possibility to receive money under the table from more than just the two or three bidding countries as it used to be. Hell Azerbaijan would never had have a chance to be a part of this if it wasn't because of this absurd idea.

ScottishInterista
14 Dec 15, 19:28
wait Euro 2018?

Dylan
14 Dec 15, 19:30
wait Euro 2018?

Don't mind me.

kameru
15 May 16, 02:02
I guess it's either Germany or another fluke a la Greece 2004 for this euro.

Ronin
15 May 16, 11:54
Can we get a countdown for when Euro starts like we do with Inter matches?

CoolMan44
18 May 16, 17:08
Any football fantasy for Euro 2016?

Kazaan
18 May 16, 18:05
Any football fantasy for Euro 2016?

http://forzainterforums.com/showthread.php?13474-Euro-2016-Fantasy-Football

I have never played fantasy football, but I might this time

CoolMan44
18 May 16, 18:40
http://forzainterforums.com/showthread.php?13474-Euro-2016-Fantasy-Football

I have never played fantasy football, but I might this time

Thanks.

I only played once but not with people from this forum, so will give it a try now.

Kazaan
08 Jun 16, 18:52
I'll be cheering for Belgium. Incredible players and nice jerseys. And alternative England (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJqimlFcJsM), if Belgium fucks up.

Italy used to be my favorite second team in every sport, but with fuckin Conte and Ventura on the horizon argh :yuck:

CoolMan44
08 Jun 16, 20:31
When it comes to Italy, I don't mind when they win, and also don't mind when they lose. Since I watch Serie A, I naturally want to watch the Italy games too, but I don't support or cheer against them really.

I actually like England too, with the younger players like Kane, Delle Alli. Plus it's been so long they've done well, I'd like to see them go far. Belgium I also like, but I feel they could be playing much better with the team they have. I think I'll just enjoy the tournament and cheer for whoever I feel plays best.

Dylan
08 Jun 16, 20:48
I hope you've all placed your bets on Ireland winning already.

ADRossi
10 Jun 16, 05:55
Alright gents, we are finally here! Ah, I love European competitions.

My finals prediction is Germany over England. Thus, make sure to not bet on either team.

Forza Azzurri

Ronin
10 Jun 16, 08:03
I hope you've all placed your bets on Ireland winning already.
We all know that Albania has the best odds if you wanna make money.

KevinB
10 Jun 16, 13:18
The shock: Belgium to get out in first round
The surprise: Switzerland
The final: Germany - France

:work:

Lyran
10 Jun 16, 14:49
I hope Croatia go far, really like the team!

Ronin
10 Jun 16, 14:52
The surprise: Switzerland

Interesting way to spell Albania.

Lyran
10 Jun 16, 15:19
What the hell is going on ?? Rumours out that DDG and two other spanish players might be sent home.
Because of an ongoing investigation regarding a underage sex incident back in 2012.

Harpsabu
10 Jun 16, 16:51
Any tournament bets going on for anyone here?

Im gona play the long game. Croatia @ 25/1 and Gareth Bale @ 40/1 for top scorer. worth a shot. Croatia have a great team.

Shark
10 Jun 16, 17:55
Interesting way to spell Albania.

So I can count on your support too!

Howl
10 Jun 16, 18:22
My prediction is Spain to win, followed by Germany.

Hope Croatia and Turkey to go far though

monster09
10 Jun 16, 18:44
What the hell is going on ?? Rumours out that DDG and two other spanish players might be sent home.
Because of an ongoing investigation regarding a underage sex incident back in 2012.

De Gea is not sent home.

Spanish paper reported that Police investigated and found nothing against players.

Ronin
10 Jun 16, 21:01
France-Romania is going as expected. Either gonna end as draw or France is gonna escape with a hard fought goal.

So I can count on your support too!
If Albania gets eleminated I'm gonna be cheering for Albania B (Switzerland).

Dylan
10 Jun 16, 22:05
All of you shit teams need to band together against the Spain, Germany and Ireland's of this competition.

ScottishInterista
11 Jun 16, 00:40
Suppose ill have to cheer for ireland cause i cant cheer for the English

Dylan
11 Jun 16, 00:41
Suppose ill have to cheer for ireland cause i cant cheer for the English

Thanks bae. You can cheer on McCarthy playing 1 or 2 passes and everyone praise him while watching McGeady on the bench.

Javier'sSon
11 Jun 16, 01:22
Two reasons why I might consider supporting Ireland, playing a drinking game or complementing suicide (where the Irish would make me complement no more). The latter would lead to the former anyway.

Dylan
11 Jun 16, 01:31
Two reasons why I might consider supporting Ireland, playing a drinking game or complementing suicide (where the Irish would make me complement no more). The latter would lead to the former anyway.

Or the 3rd reason. Sanity.

Javier'sSon
11 Jun 16, 22:53
What is it with this tourney and hooligans? As if dealing with terrorist threats/attacks is not enough. It's truly sad watching "adults" behave like this.

Ronin
11 Jun 16, 22:58
The security around the England vs Russia match has been horrible. Disgusting attitude by the English, Russian and Marseille ultras.

EDIT:

Breaking | Marseille metro network shutdown. Eyewitnesses report that an Englishman was pushed in front of a train. More to follow.
What the fuck. These hooligans are fucking disgusting.

EDIT2:
Turns out it wasn't related to Euro.

Javier'sSon
12 Jun 16, 01:22
Apparently it's not only the actions of the scum supporters but I'm reading that the French police are also doing a terrible job handling the issue, enticing matters rather than calming them down! And people - in the hundreds - getting stranded on the streets with no means of transportation available to them in Marseille!

Ronin
12 Jun 16, 01:32
Here's a video of Russian thugs attacking English fans inside the stadium: https://streamable.com/mkfl

Disgusting, especially when you remember that World Cup will be held in Russia in 2 years. Doesn't inspire confidence.

In the streets there has been clashes between English, Russian and French hooligans. The Russians and French seem pretty organised.

Pimpin
12 Jun 16, 03:09
When people her3 ask whats wrong with these hooligans or ultras lol, ive said it 100 times they are lifeless scum whose life highlight is beating someone. Fuck them all

ScottishInterista
12 Jun 16, 10:21
Vardy's wife apparently got tear gassed and locked in the stadium though she said it was before the game started but i dont remember violence happening before the match

https://twitter.com/RebekahVardy/status/741740182710452224

Ronin
12 Jun 16, 10:55
Vardy's wife apparently got tear gassed and locked in the stadium though she said it was before the game started but i dont remember violence happening before the match

https://twitter.com/RebekahVardy/status/741740182710452224
There's been violence in Marseille these last 3 days.

Jerry
12 Jun 16, 11:36
I'll be cheering for Belgium. Incredible players and nice jerseys. And alternative England (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJqimlFcJsM), if Belgium fucks up.

Italy used to be my favorite second team in every sport, but with fuckin Conte and Ventura on the horizon argh :yuck:

A Belgium run would be fun. They're in an interesting group, as well.

Croatia - Turkey coming up, likely with Perisic and Erkin on display.

firmino
12 Jun 16, 12:06
I thought that it would have been an easy win for England against Russia. But then again, it is England we're talking about, despite having a very good team they are bound to fail. Also, I agree with the journalist who called hodgson a "dinosaur", that is exactly what he is. And by the way he wasn't a winner at his prime, either.

Lyran
12 Jun 16, 12:30
I've been arguing about this incident with a few fellow comrads of mine. They are saying the english hooligans are nice people (They do no harm, only chant etc)
It's the russians who are the solely problem here, english hooligans are innocent.

How can people be so naive ? Really ???????????????????????????????????

But these russians are scum for attacking families with children after the match ended. Let Russia play with no supporters.
Here's a video of english and russian hooligans before and after.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZV11yHe4AHQ

ScottishInterista
12 Jun 16, 12:48
I've been arguing about this incident with a few fellow comrads of mine. They are saying the english hooligans are nice people (They do no harm, only chant etc)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CksUziiWgAEaiDe.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CksDwe3WsAAxD2m.jpg

As much as the english media wants to play this down the english are definitely a huge part to blame

Kazaan
12 Jun 16, 12:50
It seems the worst thing you can do in these fights is fall on the ground, because every little bitch will want to jump in and punch/kick you, fuckin hyenas.

Ronin
12 Jun 16, 13:10
Makes me angry how some of these scum hit and kick others while they are on the ground. That's the most coward thing to do.

thatdude
12 Jun 16, 15:19
These guys just stand 20 feet away from each other a throw furniture.

Dylan
12 Jun 16, 15:22
If enjoy was any kind of smart business man he would set up his business in France and cash in on all the damaged furniture that needs replacing.

Javier'sSon
12 Jun 16, 15:24
:blame furniture:

Raul Duke
13 Jun 16, 03:25
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jun/12/russian-hooligans-savage-organised-england-fans-marseille-euro-2016

Drunk English fans aren't saints, but the Russian fans are almost entirely to blame for what took place.

I'm just glad Turkey or Ukraine aren't in their group otherwise there would have been a massacre.

Kakaroto
14 Jun 16, 00:10
So far I'm having a perfect euro in the FIF poll voting.

Harpsabu
14 Jun 16, 00:24
Ive got so many bets up this week. So much easier to predict national games i think.

Dylan
14 Jun 16, 12:28
I'm 1 for 1 so far. Might call it quits.

RichDAS
15 Jun 16, 08:28
Not sure if this video has been shown but it shows how brutal these fights have been in France. See how they take one guy to the ground and give him a huge boot to the head.

http://v.qq.com/page/s/j/t/s0306cpsjjt.html

ScottishInterista
15 Jun 16, 21:13
http://8bit-football.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/joachim-low-pants.gif

RichDAS
16 Jun 16, 06:00
So violence has broken out again on Wednesday evening between English fans and French police.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-36543468 (http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-36543468)

Does that mean England will be thrown out of the competition just how UEFA promised?

Kakaroto
16 Jun 16, 06:06
I believe UEFA only has jurisdiction within the stadium so it would have to happen inside the stadium to get a team booted from the tournament.

Wobblz
17 Jun 16, 13:58
Just read an interesting article (http://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/emanuele-giaccherini-italys-sunderland-reject-a-fascinating-backstory?utm_m_medium=t&utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Social) about Giaccherini - comes out he's an interista

His father, Roberto, has always been a die-hard Inter fan, and that is how he raised his sons. "My wife supports Fiorentina, but I didn't let her influence them," he once said proudly.

JJM
17 Jun 16, 14:17
Beardi was also an Inter fan back in 2010 and made FB msg's how Rube sucks when we won against Barca in the semis and next season he is most likely going to Rube after another season in Sass with EL.

No way Rube is letting us grab him
Smell's like a Calciopoli and Moggi's Gea

Shaun
17 Jun 16, 14:28
In my experience people that don't know how to fight instead fight in groups.

Javier'sSon
17 Jun 16, 19:41
What is it with this Euros and late scoring goals?

Pajo
22 Jun 16, 08:13
https://scontent-vie1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13428487_1598452443780820_1615894968566197266_n.jp g?oh=606f229eafc47562fd1ded1cac675acb&oe=57FF5220

Wings
22 Jun 16, 09:48
All those teams being there has more to do with Spain and England failing to top their groups than the tournament format.

ScottishInterista
22 Jun 16, 09:51
Not much you can do when two top teams dont go top of their group

Ronin
22 Jun 16, 10:11
You could even say Italy dodged a bullet there by not having to play Croatia. They beat Spain without having like 5 main players on the pitch. :work:

Adriano@10
22 Jun 16, 10:24
Still its very weird that the best team out of the group stages(Probably italy) will play against a team that finished 2 and not a team that finished 3rd.
It would make way more sense to let the team who played the best group stages play against the worst team that still qualified.

Anyways i m very confused by this system and think it s kind of retarded.

KevinB
22 Jun 16, 13:50
Belgium/Portugal and Croatia got a freepass to the semi finals tbh

Batman
22 Jun 16, 15:57
Also its funny how France will get to play the third ranked teams. Based on what do they arrange that? Why not Italy considering they both finished the groups as winners.

Dylan
22 Jun 16, 16:06
https://www.scribd.com/doc/290626039/EURO-2016-The-Group-E-effect

ADRossi
22 Jun 16, 16:23
You could even say Italy dodged a bullet there by not having to play Croatia. They beat Spain without having like 5 main players on the pitch. :work:

I think Italy matches up very well against Spain this year. Spain has struggled to finish chances in 2 of their 3 group games, and there's a chance Conte's defensive system will further frustrate them. Italy will congest the midfield and make it difficult for Spain to build up play, trying to turn them into Fiorentina where the team holds possession but isn't doing a whole lot with it.

I'm skeptical of Italy's ability to break down Spain though. Both of Croatia's goals today came from flashes of individual brilliance by Perisic. No one on Italy is capable of that tbh.

I think this has 0-0 or 1-1 draw, PKs written all over it

Wings
22 Jun 16, 22:22
I think Italy matches up very well against Spain this year. Spain has struggled to finish chances in 2 of their 3 group games, and there's a chance Conte's defensive system will further frustrate them. Italy will congest the midfield and make it difficult for Spain to build up play, trying to turn them into Fiorentina where the team holds possession but isn't doing a whole lot with it.

I'm skeptical of Italy's ability to break down Spain though. Both of Croatia's goals today came from flashes of individual brilliance by Perisic. No one on Italy is capable of that tbh.

I think this has 0-0 or 1-1 draw, PKs written all over it

But Italy still conceded lots of chances against an uncoordinated Belgium side looking only to cross the ball. Plus Spain are looking better now than in 2010 or 2012. I think Spain have be considered pretty big favorites.

Harpsabu
22 Jun 16, 23:20
But Italy still conceded lots of chances against an uncoordinated Belgium side looking only to cross the ball. Plus Spain are looking better now than in 2010 or 2012. I think Spain have be considered pretty big favorites.

Im guessing you didnt see them last night? Half a croatia team played them off the pitch

RichDAS
23 Jun 16, 00:41
So coming second in our group receives the easier opponent, okay UEFA.

The first four groups receive third placed teams for absolutely no reason, okay UEFA.

You know what the funniest thing is? Even if we beat Spain, we will most likely play Germany in the next round. Fuck this Euro.

Wings
23 Jun 16, 00:42
Im guessing you didnt see them last night? Half a croatia team played them off the pitch

You are right, I did not.

ADRossi
23 Jun 16, 01:29

I mean, Italy haven't particularly looked great this tournament. Did absolutely nothing against Sweden for 86 minutes. Belgium created a few chances and Wilmot's lineup decisions were atrocious, so using that game as a judge of anything is unfair.

I'm still not high on Conte; he is stubborn to the point that he refuses to play our best attacking player (Insigne) and refusal to make in-game adjustments cost us today against Ireland, and almost cost us against Sweden.

With that being said, can Spain break down BBC? I think there's a decent change they cannot.

Hasan
23 Jun 16, 05:54
I am rooting for Croatia, they are playing great so far. I hope they will beat Portugal in next round.

They are so technically gifted that's joy to watch. Perisic is great, Modric is leader, Rakitic is very good, Srna found inner strength after his father funeral and played great last two games. Only thing I would do is put Mandzukic on the bench and start Kalinic.

Badelj from Fiorentina impressed me in Pirlo role.

Pjaca is the guy we should look for on RW/LW. Very young and very strong with good technique. He destroyed Alba against Spain.

thatdude
23 Jun 16, 20:14
I wonder if Brozovic is in danger of not starting. I thought Rog had a really good game against Spain too.

Croatia just shitting players at the moment.

Kakaroto
23 Jun 16, 23:01
Wow I got every team that advanced from every group in the FIF poll right. Score one for the home team.

kameru
11 Jul 16, 01:25
I guess it's either Germany or another fluke a la Greece 2004 for this euro.

I Call it before :closeenough:
is it fluke? Yes, even not as big as greece. :awwyeah:

ElDuccio
11 Jul 16, 01:35
Denmark, Greece, Portugal.. every 10 years again.

Ronin
11 Jul 16, 10:57
Albania is the only team that beat Portugal during their Euro 16 journey. :awwyeah:

wera
11 Jul 16, 13:42
Denmark, Greece, Portugal.. every 10 years again.

Portugal winning was far from a fluke.

CoolMan44
11 Jul 16, 16:32
Neither was Greece. They managed to beat the home nation twice during Euro 2004, which is impressive.

Just because they played a certain style doesn't make it a fluke imo. At the end of the day, they scored more than their opponents so good for them.

Never watched Euro 1992, so can't speak about Denmark.

crzdcolombian
11 Jul 16, 16:57
Chile would rip Portugal 5 new assholes even if they somehow cloned him

- - - Updated - - -

Portugal winning was far from a fluke.

They tied 4 games won 3. 2 wins in extra time. Had the easiest group and finished 3rd!!!!

Barley beat Poland and had the easiest route to the final. Not exactly the most exciting team to watch.

France bracket has Germany, Spain, Italy. Also had England but they are insanely over rated.

They got lucky and France chocked. I mean I am happy because I was at a Portuguese bar with my best friend who is Portuguese but once Ronaldo went down its was like man you guys are going to get rapped.

wera
11 Jul 16, 18:35
Looking at how all of the teams played, Portugal would have defended through all of them. They won in the end, which is all that matters and nothing can take that from them.

It was a shit tournament anyways, Copa America shits all over this Euro

Some great goals were scored tho

crzdcolombian
11 Jul 16, 20:06
Haha na man both cups weren't very good but to say it shits on Copa America is a bit much. Other then Iceland none of the games were all that exciting.

Problem with both cups is a ton of filler team then bs like 3rd place teams making it to 2nd round. Only World Cup matters. Tho I'd be interested to see Chile play France or Germany. They are a short team so they might get murdered in any free kicks or corners

firmino
11 Jul 16, 20:13
Imho the problem is not the number of the teams, but that in modern football players play more games and they run a lot more in each game than they used to till just 20 years ago, so they arrive physically exhausted for these tournaments.

wera
11 Jul 16, 20:19
I said copa was better than euro. Chile would run rampart through this Euro.

firmino
11 Jul 16, 20:20
Another, completely unrelated thing has occurred to my mind: the great Italian writer Tabucchi would have cried from joy seeing Portugal win. He loved this country withall his heart and set there many of his novels.

Fapuccino
11 Jul 16, 21:42
European teams' lack of strikers is appalling. This must be an all time low in the history of the game. Even Germany that is supposed to have good forwards, has 0 world class finishers. Even the standards for what we consider "world class" has drastically dropped.

Like Wenger said last year, only South America is producing world class forwards. If Germany, France, Italy had good finishers this wouldn't have happened. And I don't mean just guys who can tap in (although even that would be helpful), but people who can operate in tight spaces with flair and unpredictability to get the job done.

ScottishInterista
27 Sep 18, 14:50
Euro 2024 is confirmed to be in Germany rather than Turkey