PDA

View Full Version : 2018 and 2022 FIFA World Cup Bids

La Bling
27 Aug 10, 01:11
With inspection visits finishing up soon, it's about time to discuss this.

The hosts will be named on December 2nd. 2018 is most likely between England and Russia, with 2022 being a little more wide open.

979,012 people have signed the petition for the bid to come to the US. If you live there, sign it! Go USA Bid (http://www.gousabid.com/page/s/sticker/)

blackmore
27 Aug 10, 01:17
wow it seemed only like yesterday when they last hosted it in 94...:)

Choppin Onions
27 Aug 10, 05:45
'94 was my first WC experience. Thoroughly enjoyed it even though I was clueless about some stuff (I was only 10... and canadian lol) I do remember Baggio carrying Italy on his back all the way to the Finals however.

England will get either 2018 or 2022 no doubt about it. It's been far too long since they hosted it and have all the infrastructure to do it. I'd be absolutely stoked if the US got it though. That way, I'd be able to attend some games and it wouldn't cost me an arm and a leg. Then again, I could be a bum by 2018...

ADRossi
28 Aug 10, 03:40
I'm guessing England will get the 2018 games, not a doubt in my mind. 2022 I'd love to see the US because I can catch a few games in person. Plus I believe if England wins the 2018 games, wouldn't that rule out all remaining European bids for the 2022 cup? If so, I'd take the US over Australia and Qatar...

brehme1989
28 Aug 10, 06:45
I "hope" it's not England in 2018 and that it's USA 2022.
Don't want to go to England where everyone is forced to sit etc
USA will be different because it's a huge country, a great tourist destination, and I will have more reasons to explore it :)

Stefan
28 Aug 10, 08:15
Personally I want aus to get a wc. Not sure if they have submitted a bid for 2018 or 2022 though. USA has had one but australia has never had one and I think its time.

snake
28 Aug 10, 08:23
Personally I want aus to get a wc. Not sure if they have submitted a bid for 2018 or 2022 though. USA has had one but australia has never had one and I think its time.

We have indeed applied for the 2022 world cup ;) our bid is good, but apparently we bribed judges and it's going to hurt us. Who knows..

ADRossi
28 Aug 10, 14:32
http://i555.photobucket.com/albums/jj473/uhihateregistering/WC.jpg

brehme1989
29 Aug 10, 00:52
Ideally, I'd want Portugal & Spain or Belgium & Netherlands for 2018 one. Even Russia. It's definitely going to Europe imo.
Then 2022 USA or Australia. Never been to Australia and I said earlier why I'd like the USA.

Definitely don't want Japan or South Korea hosting another one.
Qatar I'm not sure what their chances are.

Prediction:
It's USA & England. (if Australia indeed bribed judges and created a scandal and all...)
Both are eligible for both tournaments, so it'll be 2018 England and 2022 USA since 2014 will be in Brazil. Doubt they'll have it twice in a row overseas. And I really doubt they'll start a trend with twice in a row not in Europe.

ADRossi
29 Aug 10, 01:52
Qatar is trying to campaign for the WC with "Arab unity, connecting them to the rest of the world" as their focal point. I don't think this works...

Sassuolu
29 Aug 10, 03:53
I think it'll go back to England in 2018, it's been a while since they've hosted and they already have great stadiums.

Visca
29 Aug 10, 04:31
England 2018, USA 2022 imo. Although I hope USA comes sooner or later, would love to attend something close to home. I was only 5 when the '94 World Cup was here so I missed out on that one.

Portugal/Spain would make sense too though since Spain just won the cup, but I bet England and USA are decided over them.

pazzainteramala
29 Aug 10, 06:58
plzz come to usa, it would be a dream come true, and would give the economy a jump start.

Handoyo
31 Aug 10, 09:11
Indonesia. :lol::palm:

Thank God it didn't happen, woulda been embarrassing for me as an Indonesian. (It sure is bound to utterly fail)

Visca
31 Aug 10, 12:02
Those who want the World Cup to come to the USA, if you have not already please sign the petition that will be submitted to FIFA when they come to visit the US next week to inspect our stadiums.

http://www.gousabid.com/page/s/sticker/

Maryam
31 Aug 10, 12:41
I might be in the minority here, but I am totally supporting Qatar's bid.
The country has the money,time and resources to do it, and they can host it in a truly grand scale.
Before you say I am biased, I know that I live in Qatar, but I am not actually Qatari, so its not a
patriotic thing for me. I do know the country's capabilities though, and it can be truly amazing for
them to host it. Besides, the middle east has to get the chance to host it once!

Here's their official site if you are interested to know more about the bid:
http://www.qatar2022bid.com/

Also, seriously check out the video of the first 5 stadiums they are planning to fix or build...UNBELIEVABLE.

jamsieboy86
31 Aug 10, 13:11
I really hope England get the 2018 WC, be so easy for us Irish to travel over.

ADRossi
01 Sep 10, 01:34
I wouldn't mind England getting the WC so when they choke again, we have even more reasons to make fun of them since this time they would have choked on home soil.

Don Tomaso
04 Sep 10, 15:13
Wow, 2022! That's sounds like some year in a movie then the earth is invades by aliens and everybody driving their cars in the air, fuelled by happiness.

I want all World Cup's in a country where football is big. Maybe I'm narrow minded but therefore I say no to countries like USA, Japan, Australia and so forth. Well, actually to all countries aside Europeans and some South American ones. And it would be even better if it's hosted as near Sweden as possible.

ADRossi
04 Sep 10, 16:40
Isn't the point of the WC to help the sport grow in countries where it may not be considered a big sport, along with unity and all that stuff? And say what you want about the US not being a great soccer country, they certainly have the advantage in terms of venues that are ready.

And additionally, all European countries will be ineligible in 2022 assuming England or Russia gets the 2018 WC, and since the South American countries are already ineligible for both, that means US/Qatar/Australia/Japan is a lock

Stefan
04 Sep 10, 17:46
Wow, 2022! That's sounds like some year in a movie then the earth is invades by aliens and everybody driving their cars in the air, fuelled by happiness.

I want all World Cup's in a country where football is big. Maybe I'm narrow minded but therefore I say no to countries like USA, Japan, Australia and so forth. Well, actually to all countries aside Europeans and some South American ones. And it would be even better if it's hosted as near Sweden as possible.

So according to you football is only big in europe and south america.:palm::palm:

You really need to learn more about the rest of the world...:palm:

Inter Siamo Noi
04 Sep 10, 20:58
As italian football fan, I hope that both Spain and England will fail at their requests because the new stadiums will give them money that could help them to be better league than Serie A (Premierlegaue is already better, but it'll be even better if they'll host).

Dylan
04 Sep 10, 22:27
Both are better.

Inter Siamo Noi
05 Sep 10, 13:43
I don't think that La Lige better than Serie A because that it's just Barca, Real and other 18 when just Sevilla and Valencia has quality. Serie A has Inter and many good teams like Palermo, Genoa, JuBe, BBilan, Roma...

Dylan
05 Sep 10, 13:58
If it weren't for Bbilan signing their last two I would have to say it's just a one horse race for us but now it's opened up. Before that it was them.

jamsieboy86
07 Sep 10, 11:43
As italian football fan, I hope that both Spain and England will fail at their requests because the new stadiums will give them money that could help them to be better league than Serie A (Premierlegaue is already better, but it'll be even better if they'll host).

Don't think England will be building many if any new stadiums for the World Cup, they already have more than enough quality stadiums. The only possible new stadium I know of for the WC is Liverpool's and they are building that themselves.

Don Tomaso
07 Sep 10, 19:42
The point of the WC to help the sport grow in countries that really doesn't care about it? The FIFA World Cup is the biggest and most important tournament in the world, not a charity project.

Visca
07 Sep 10, 23:39
I really think that having the World Cup on American soil when the US team is actually decent will help bring an awful lot of people into the sport.

Sassuolu
10 Sep 10, 07:32
The US already hosted it 1994 it usually takes much more time to host it again.

Visca
10 Sep 10, 21:55
But the thing is, North America has very few viable countries to host a WC. US and Mexico, I don't even know if Canada has enough stadiums but I'll throw them in too. When it's in Europe it's much easier for people in other European countries to come see the WC without being a native in the country it's in... whereas over here in the US we're cut off and have to spend out the ass to make it to Europe, Asia, or even South America. So if we want the WC anywhere in this region it is most likely to be in the US.

Anyway reports are that the US pulled out their 2018 bid and are only focusing on 2022 now, when both South America and Europe will be ineligible.

ADRossi
10 Sep 10, 23:52
Canada doesn't have enough stadiums. I can think of 4 off the top of my head, but no way we have the required amount.

Also, if you want to go by "most recently hosted" then I consider Korea and Japan as being more recent than the US even though they co-hosted, so therefore under your theory the WC is going to either Qatar or Australia, which is possible I suppose.

Visca
11 Sep 10, 00:07
It would be cool if the US co-hosted with Canada actually, we can use those four stadiums and just put the rest in the US. It's just that when I've been to Canada they always seem more passionate about the sport than we do in the US.

ADRossi
11 Sep 10, 01:32
Canada also has a huge European and Arabic population, so there are really a lot of foreigners who bring their love for soccer over here. I think Toronto FC is the most successful MLS franchise in terms of revenue and ticket sales.

Canada and the US co-hosting would be cool, though watching Canada get embarrassed in group play wouldn't be very fun.

Sassuolu
17 Sep 10, 17:06
Canada have a football team?!?!

ADRossi
19 Sep 10, 22:46

Haha, I was surprised too ;)

Suneet
20 Sep 10, 12:26
They have a football team, no soccer team.

ADRossi
20 Sep 10, 20:42
Geez guys, we aren't that bad at soccer. We're ranked like 101st in the world, that's better than...American Samoa. :)

Maryam
03 Oct 10, 17:07
Qatar, Qatar, Qatar, I am so rooting for them to take it!
Finally an Arab country would get the chance to host it.
The country would seriously go crazy if they ended up winning it, I can't wait for the results! :D

Suneet
04 Oct 10, 12:57
And I will be there.... 1hr flight from here...

thorn
04 Oct 10, 18:36
The point of the WC to help the sport grow in countries that really doesn't care about it? The FIFA World Cup is the biggest and most important tournament in the world, not a charity project.
for your kind information..Asia got the largest football fan base..not South America or Europe.Do u know why EPL have been financially so successful recently?so hosting the event in Asia wont be a charity but a great success.i wont be suprised if u dint know to spot sweden on a world map

brehme1989
24 Oct 10, 16:41
Local fan base? No ;)

The teams those people root for are in the other side of the earth man. Of course the stadiums would be full unlike the South African one, but the fans there don't have teams of their own to cheer for, that's the truth. Unless Chinese football has the best league or Indonesia, Malaysia, Japan, Korea etc... Marketing yes, succesful. But hosting a World Cup in Brazil, Argentina, Italy, Spain, Germany, France, England, Mexico or another big FOOTBALL country, with TRADITION OF ITS OWN, would be more ideal. Of course since the World Cup is a global event, I would love to have a World Cup in western Asia, but don't use 'fanbase' to concrete your opinion.

thorn
25 Oct 10, 01:20
FANS are the most important thing in football.Thet pump in all the money.yes they root for clubs and countrys in other side of the globe.but what do u think is the reason great Serie A has fallen behind EPL and La Liga.Because its not stone age anymore and they know that we live in a globalised world.

vitomins
25 Oct 10, 14:43
USA officially pulled out of the running for the 2018 World Cup so that they could focus on their 2022 bid. The 2018 World Cup is now guaranteed to be hosted in Europe.

Maryam
26 Oct 10, 09:01
Not worried about the USA being in Qatar's group, our real main competitor seems to be Australia so far...

brehme1989
26 Oct 10, 19:25
With Australia and USA in the picture, odds are slim for Qatar. I guess it will be a two horse race between them and they will decide upon their performance in the 2014 World Cup (they gonna decide in 2015 aren't they?)

Maryam
27 Oct 10, 05:25
Nope they are deciding who's gonna host this December, 22nd of December I think to be exact.
I disagree with you, Qatar's bid is very high profile and everyone is expecting it to come
down between Australia and Qatar.
People underestimate how rich Qatar and how much that can help them host a truly memorable
world cup. Qatar's file is extremely strong, I mean check out their planned stadiums. Its absolutely
PHENOMENAL! : http://www.qatar2022bid.com/stadiums

As part of their bid, Qatar is also hosting a friendly between Brazil and Argentina on November 17
and I finally got my tickets yesterday! So excited at the prospect of seeing Inter players live! :D

Suneet
27 Oct 10, 10:00
IMO Qatar would be the best thing that would happen to the world cup. If their vision suceeds, this will take the tournament to another level. They have tonnes of money to make their vision a reality and if they say the stadium wil be cold enough, I want to believe them.

Maryam
27 Oct 10, 10:15
Exactly Suneet!
Apparently they already have the technology that cools the stadiums and this
will eventually be used across stadiums world wide...

Choppin Onions
28 Oct 10, 20:47

Yes. We're terrible. For a country with a HUGE immigrant population, you'd think we'd better at it but sadly it's not the case. Draws and losses against the likes of Jamaica and Puerto Rico are all too common.

And it's a bit strange when I hear Russia is such a strong bid for 2018. Don't you need a Russian visa to even get into the country? Not to mention the excessive racism that's frequent at football games. Doesn't seem like a great choice but they do have money and that's the most important thing to FIFA I suppose.

Maryam
02 Nov 10, 11:05
30 more days till desicion time, this is so exciting!

Lionheart
02 Nov 10, 11:16
I can't understand the hype about this. There ain't gonna be no World Cup 2018 & 2022. By 2012 we are all dead & we're all partying on the other side with angels :D