POLL UPDATE: 1st answer in full is:
"- It should never be performed without immidiate medical necessity and it violates human rights otherwise."
Controversial topic, isn't it? This forums are visited by people from all over the world so I think there can be many different views on this. I'll start with mine.
Is circumcision good or bad? Is it unnecessary amputation of healthy part of male body for no medical reasons performed without consent or not harmful cosmetic procedure? Is it okay to do it for religious reasons? Isn't it laughable that 50 years ago it was common knowledge that circumcision cures all kinds of unrelated conditions like insanity?
My opinion is that circumcision is a barbaric mutilation of new born baby boys and should never be performed on someone who can't give informed consent. I believe there is no reason to do it unless medically necessary (mostly phimosis).
Reasons for circumcision are among others:
- it can decrese HIV risk by up to 66% (according to one! WHO study performed in Africa) but why not use condoms (80% according to WHO)
- there are number of other STD's that can be prevented by circumcion but in every case condoms are more effective
- hygiene, really funny one, I mean could be justified a hundred years ago but is it really a problem to have everyday shower in 21st century? When someone has hygiene problems in private areas it's because he's filthy slacker not cos he's uncut.
- religion, oh the toughest one, it is normal to call any anti-circumcision initiative anti-jewish or anti-islamic, but is it really? I'm against circumcision but I have nothing against any religion, but I believe circumcision should not be performed on any one under age of 18, for religious reasons or not.
- it prevents penile cancer, thing is its extremaly rare that is 1 in 100.000, even male breast cancer is more common
- it looks better, well that depends whom you ask I think, you ask it in USA most will say it does, you ask it in Finland most will say it looks unnatural, is this idea forced on those who say so by porn, and we know most porn is made in the US, and people in US are more that often circumcised (really 21st century America?)
- because the father was so the boy must look like his father, the saddest reason really
Circumcision rates are dropping down in countries like Canada, Australia, it's marginal in the UK, it's still a mystery why in the US it's so popular, though I read in a few sources that in more liberal states like California, Nevada, Washington circumcision rates are going down the fastest mostly because insurance companies don't cover it anymore stating it's just a cosmetic surgery but also parents are more awere what circumcision and foreskin really is. It's scary that many people have no idea that foreskin is very sensitive part of male body, on par with penis glans or even more sensitive depends on the studies. It's vital in achieving maximum potential sexual pleasure men can have the way nature/God intended.
Isn't human body design perfect? I mean every part of our body has a role in our life, would God/evolution make a mistake? Why would it be there in the first place?
There are countless anti-circ organisations in the world working on stopping cutting baby boys. What's more there are even organisations for foreskin restoration, those guys really have the guts. None of world's higly regarded health organisations like American Academy of Pediatrics, The Royal Australasian College of Physicians, The American Academy of Family Physicians, The American Medical Association, British Medical Association imply that circumcision should be performed.
There is even Royal Dutch Medical Association that openly calls circumcision unnececessary.
How many percent of boys would agree to this at age of 18? Why force it on them when they can't say anything, actually they are not giving consent by heart breaking crying but no one is listening.