Thread: Tragedy strikes Togo again

Fav. Player
    Yuto,Don Andres

Brazil

Tragedy strikes Togo again

The kind of ill luck that has gone after Togolese soccer since 2006 is just beyond me. Plane crash, terrorist attack, now road accident. All costing lives of some Togolese NT players.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/1...n_1114381.html

Togo Bus Crash: Soccer Players Killed After Vehicle Plunges Into Ravine

EBOW GODWIN 11/26/11 06:12 PM ET

LOME, Togo — At least six topflight Togolese soccer players were killed and another 28 people critically injured on Saturday after a bus carrying their team plunged into a ravine and caught fire.

In a statement read on national television, the Togo government said President Faure Gnassingbe had ordered that those injured from the Etoile Filante club be taken to the military wing of the Lome Central Hospital to receive urgent medical attention.

A delegation, led by sports minister Christophe Tchao, traveled to the accident site with an ambulance to evacuate the injured.

The accident happened near the city of Atakpame, about 160 kilometers (100 miles) north of Lome, as Etoile Filante was on its way to Togo's second largest city of Sokode for Sunday's league game against Semassi.

A tire is believed to have burst, causing the bus to topple over and plunge down a ravine. Some of the victims reportedly burnt to death. Eyewitness accounts said the bus flipped over several times as it crashed into the ravine.

"We do not know how we managed to get out of the accident," said one of the survivors, goalkeeper Mama Souleyman.

Images on Togo national television showed the smoldering wreckage of the bus, which was almost completely burnt to ashes.

Lome-based Etoile Filante is a seven-time Togo national league champion and was runner-up in Africa's continental club competition in 1968.

Last year, two Togo national team officials were killed and several players hurt after a gun attack on the team's bus as it traveled to the African Cup of Nations tournament in Angola.

In 2007, Togo sports minister Richard Attipoe was among 22 people who died when a helicopter carrying Togolese soccer fans and officials crashed in Sierra Leone after an African Cup qualifying match.
    May they all rest in perfect peace and harmony.

Fav. Player
    22IcardiBroHand
    Old name
    DomesticatedPimp

Albania

Rest in peace

shocking how many things can happen in such a short time ..

Terrible news. I'm stuck without any word really but I wish those rest in peace.
    Massimo Moratti: "Javier Zanetti ha sempre onorato la maglia e ci ha sempre fatto sentire fieri di essere interisti"

Fav. Player
    Il Capitano

Albania

Wow terrible. All this in such a short period of time. May they rest in peace.
    TI TE DOMINET MILAN

Fav. Player
    Solskjśr

India

18 Forum Supporter
    RIP. So many accidents for one team, really horrific.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cal View Post
    I think the point is theres a fine line between comming across as a learned individual and comming across as a bit of a wanker, and utilising every corner of your vocabulary on a global internet football forum with people many of whom don't have don't have english as their first language makes you come across as the latter.

Fav. Player
    Icardi
    Old name
    Analrapist

Bosnia Herzegovina

Most Missed Member
    Don't even know what to say...it's just...damn.

R.I.P.

Fav. Player
    Il Capitano

Scotland

Damn...

R.I.P
    C'Ť solo l'Inter

Fav. Player
    Zanetti

Macedonia

unbelievable...
    RIP