Thread: Brazil football legend Socrates dies

Fav. Player

Italy

Brazil football legend Socrates dies

Brazil legend Socrates has died at the age of 57 after suffering an intestinal infection.

The idol of the 1982 World Cup was admitted to hospital on Thursday after falling ill during a meal at a hotel in Sao Paulo.

It was the third time in four months that he had been treated at an intensive care unit since alcohol abuse caused his stomach to haemorrhage in August.

Socrates, who leaves behind a wife and six sons, had been hoping his health would stabilise ahead of a liver transplant after a spending another 17 days in hospital in September.

He, his wife and a friend were all taken ill after eating stroganoff last week, but his body was too frail to cope and suffered septic shock which claimed his life in the early hours of Sunday morning.

Breathing apparatus was needed and he was also put on dialysis machines to remove bacteria from his blood.

Socrates won 60 caps and was easily recognisable in his playing days as a bearded 6ft 4in midfield genius with great passing ability.

He was nicknamed O Doutor - The Doctor - as he graduated as medical student during the early years of his football career.

Most closely associated with Corinthians, his only stint outside of Brazil was playing for Fiorentina for the 1984-85 season, though he also played 12 minutes for West Yorkshire team Garforth Town in 2004.

Alcohol had blighted his life in recent times, though less than a fortnight ago he insisted he was not dependent on drink.

'I never had many problems with alcohol because I was not addicted,' he told SporTV. 'All the time I interacted with alcohol as if it were a partner, but I never had withdrawal symptoms. I spent long periods without use.

'I do not feel like drinking. It is five months since I put a drop of alcohol in my mouth. I do not miss it.

'Obviously you have to change some of your behaviour and avoid risky situations, so to speak. In my case, it is easy. I have no addiction. For those with addiction it is much more complicated.'

Corinthians can clinch the Brazilian title later on Sunday and midfielder Alex says the players will fight with Socrates in their hearts.

'The best tribute to all Corinthians fans is the confirmation of the title,' he said. 'And Socrates is a man who represents Corinthians well. He participated in an important part of the club's history. I hope we get this title in his name too.'

RIP

Fav. Player
    Emma Watson

Tokelau

RIP
    FC INTERNAZIONALE

I thought football in Italy had changed, but it seems that a zebra never changes its stripes.
    FAK GOBBY

Fav. Player
    Il Capitano

Albania

R.I.P
    TI TE DOMINET MILAN

Fav. Player
    Icardi

Saudi Arabia

RIP
    Forza Inter

Fav. Player
    MI9
    Old name
    hansolo

Chile

rip

R.I.P
    Massimo Moratti: "Javier Zanetti ha sempre onorato la maglia e ci ha sempre fatto sentire fieri di essere interisti"

Fav. Player
    Durian

Ecuador

15 Forum Supporter
    RIP

Fav. Player
    Walter Samuel

Ireland

RIP

Fav. Player
    #FreeInsigne

Netherlands

rest in peace
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlen View Post
    The problem with this kind of site in english is the international brand of supporters from non-footballers or non-top-footballer countries..
    You see people from Colombia, Oceania, Ireland(i think) pretending that at least ONCE in their life they saw a young wc talent arriving and becoming a world star.

Just a idea: if you want a serious debate about football, you should block everybody from countries that NEVER will win nothing and NEVER will have a balon d'or, for example.
    Whats the point about those guys opinions??? Can i go to some New Zealand chat and start to teach them how to recognize the better wc prospects among young Rugby players?
    Again, if you NEVER saw a young wc prospect struggling in his first years, like Kaka or Ronaldinho who were booed by they local supporters here, how could you judge????

Fav. Player
    Julione ♥

Italy

RIP
    minus.five