Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Future of Serie A

Fav. Player
    #FreeInsigne

Netherlands

The Future of Serie A

I feel like this deserves a thread, because a) it has been discussed a ton lately around here, and b) it is very important to us as Inter fans, and therefore shouldn't only be discussed in the 2012 Serie A thread.

Anyway, you all know what the score is. Calcio is in the middle of a huge decline, and lacks foreign talent, marketability, stadiums, and most importantly, money. No rich oil entrepreneur will invest in Italian clubs for many reasons, including the economic crisis the country is facing, the amount of hurdles that must be cleared to build a stadium, etc. Our 3rd UCL spot was taken (mainly because of the Europa league performances of our clubs ) and just all in all, its been a garbage past few years for football in Italy.

The question I'm posing is basically, how will this be fixed? What are your suggestions towards starting the renaissance?

I think clearly the German model is one we need to look at, however how attainable that may be remains to be seen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlen View Post
    The problem with this kind of site in english is the international brand of supporters from non-footballers or non-top-footballer countries..
    You see people from Colombia, Oceania, Ireland(i think) pretending that at least ONCE in their life they saw a young wc talent arriving and becoming a world star.

Just a idea: if you want a serious debate about football, you should block everybody from countries that NEVER will win nothing and NEVER will have a balon d'or, for example.
    Whats the point about those guys opinions??? Can i go to some New Zealand chat and start to teach them how to recognize the better wc prospects among young Rugby players?
    Again, if you NEVER saw a young wc prospect struggling in his first years, like Kaka or Ronaldinho who were booed by they local supporters here, how could you judge????

Fav. Player
    NOT Il Capitano

Falkland Islands

0 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    Italy needs to get the hosting rights for a WC/Euro and the government has to make it conducive for club owners to invest in stadiums. These will go a long way in developing new stadiums and emulating the German model.
    Also, all the clubs should come together and let go off FFP.. Italy can live without European football for a few seasons till the league's base improves and then strive to make it there.
    IO SONO INTERISTA

Fav. Player
    Perisic

United States

86 FIF Special Ones
    Quote Originally Posted by rockball View Post
    Italy needs to get the hosting rights for a WC/Euro and the government has to make it conducive for club owners to invest in stadiums. These will go a long way in developing new stadiums and emulating the German model.
    Also, all the clubs should come together and let go off FFP.. Italy can live without European football for a few seasons till the league's base improves and then strive to make it there.

Not sure how you are going to attract the best talents to Italy if our clubs are not going to be participating in Europe. The major draw to clubs like ours is the fact that we get to compete in Champions League...

Fav. Player
    mudingayi

India

check out German 2nd division team Fortuna Dusseldorfs stadium Esprit Arena, this highilights all that is wrong with Italian Football
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esprit_Arena

Fav. Player
    Perisic

United States

86 FIF Special Ones
    Quote Originally Posted by necrodragon View Post
    check out German 2nd division team Fortuna Dusseldorfs stadium Esprit Arena, this highilights all that is wrong with Italian Football
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esprit_Arena

That stadium is owned by the city of Düsseldorf, just like every stadium in Italy. This is the exact opposite of what you are trying to prove lol. You make it sound like this is Fortuna's stadium, but all they do is rent it, which is the major problem in Italy right now.

Fav. Player
    #FreeInsigne

Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by vitomins View Post
    That stadium is owned by the city of Düsseldorf, just like every stadium in Italy. This is the exact opposite of what you are trying to prove lol. You make it sound like this is Fortuna's stadium, but all they do is rent it, which is the major problem in Italy right now.
    Yup, renting stadiums = less revenue, which = less money to spend, which = lesser players.
    The problem with this kind of site in english is the international brand of supporters from non-footballers or non-top-footballer countries..
    You see people from Colombia, Oceania, Ireland(i think) pretending that at least ONCE in their life they saw a young wc talent arriving and becoming a world star.

Just a idea: if you want a serious debate about football, you should block everybody from countries that NEVER will win nothing and NEVER will have a balon d'or, for example.
    Whats the point about those guys opinions??? Can i go to some New Zealand chat and start to teach them how to recognize the better wc prospects among young Rugby players?
    Again, if you NEVER saw a young wc prospect struggling in his first years, like Kaka or Ronaldinho who were booed by they local supporters here, how could you judge????

Fav. Player

Italy

Quote Originally Posted by rockball View Post
    We lost the Euro aganst Poland/Ukraine and France,forget that our country could host something in the next 20 years at least.
    Italy can't emulate the German model in the near future for economic reasons mainly and then we proved to have an amateurish Federation.

We'll see if this new rule for the New Stadiums of property will come out,this might help the clubs to accelerate the burocratic course (and hopefully not making speculations).

But there's not only the stadiums problem,there's also the old problem of the fake shirts that basically ruins the internal merchandising. We are basically behind England,Germany and even Spain (although their stadiums are not particularly ahead of the italian ones),and France will have their new ones from 2016.

Btw although this,I think that italians will raise again as we always did in the difficult situations over the history.

For the next years we need to make more virtuosistic mercatos,producing more talents from Primavera and keeping them in the first squad,trying to change the Serie A (that should be cutted at least of 2 teams,from 20 to 18/16 squads),a different calendar with a longer winter break like the germans,etc. We can make it.

Fav. Player
    Ronaldo

Kuwait

I still don't understand, how come Juve have their own stadium? why can't we just do what they did?

Fav. Player

Italy

Quote Originally Posted by Seyyedo View Post
    I still don't understand, how come Juve have their own stadium? why can't we just do what they did?
    Turin had the Winter Olympic Games in 2006 that helped them,a Communal Council really friendly (who gave them the ground to built it almost almost for free),and other "special things" that helped them that I won't add.
    For example in Milano,with the current situation it's impossible building a new stadium,especially becouse the Communal Council doesn't want to lose the annual rich rent for Meazza.

10. Thanks (2): Handoyo, Ronaldo

Fav. Player
    Ronaldo

Kuwait

They don't allow us to build a stadium or they don't give us a land?

If it's a land problem, can't we just go buy a land and start building on it?

Can we just buy San Siro? I'm sure city of Milan wont say no to few hundred millions in the current financial crisis.

Fav. Player

Italy

Quote Originally Posted by Seyyedo View Post
    They don't allow us to build a stadium or they don't give us a land?

If it's a land problem, can't we just go buy a land and start building on it?

Can we just buy San Siro? I'm sure city of Milan wont say no to few hundred millions in the current financial crisis.
    Pretty hard giving an answer to your question,there's not an official position from the CC (and not even from Inter) about the New Stadium,so they didn't officially said No or Yes,but the biggest rumours about this thing told that CC wants to keep both Milano's clubs in the same Stadium for the reasons that I gave you before.
    Moratti has a project for a new Stadium (and there's even the location,not that far from San Siro),recently MM said that the new stadium should be the way but it will not be done in the near future becouse the laws/bureaucracy are not allowing to building them at them moment (and I suspect even for the huge cost,over 400m)

13. Thanks (1): Ronaldo

Fav. Player
    mudingayi

India

why should communal council allow inter to build a new stadium, inter and milan pay about 30million in rent each year to it, our 10 year rental cost would finance a new stadium, but it will not happen in the forsseable future unfortunatly

Fav. Player
    ₩€$£€¥

Macedonia

6 Forum Supporter
    If anybody can get a copy of the three part BBC documentry called 'The Men who Changed Football', you will find that this is what Italian football needs to do to return to glory.

If anyone here can recall the english premier league prior to the mid ninties and especially in the eighties, you would know what an incredibally shit league and football it was.

Thanks to the few gentleman that reconfigured the english division 1 into what it is today, the clubs benefited massively. It was a long and arduous change and English clubs grew and changed immensely through great support from the league. Manchester United's branding back in the early 90's coupled with the positive changes implemented in the league ( and not to mention Beckham's popularity ) was the cornerstone of what they are today.

Serie A today is how EPL was 20 years ago.

Just as a little insight, these people that changed English football to what it is today actually used American football, baseball and basketball as the benchmark.
    INTERISTA 4 EVER

“I don’t think the formation model counts, it’s all about the principles and the attitude" - Stefano Pioli

16. Thanks (2): Black&Blue, Fitzy

Fav. Player

Italy

Quote Originally Posted by I4E View Post
    If anybody can get a copy of the three part BBC documentry called 'The Men who Changed Football', you will find that this is what Italian football needs to do to return to glory.

If anyone here can recall the english premier league prior to the mid ninties and especially in the eighties, you would know what an incredibally shit league and football it was.

Thanks to the few gentleman that reconfigured the english division 1 into what it is today, the clubs benefited massively. It was a long and arduous change and English clubs grew and changed immensely through great support from the league. Manchester United's branding back in the early 90's coupled with the positive changes implemented in the league ( and not to mention Beckham's popularity ) was the cornerstone of what they are today.

Serie A today is how EPL was 20 years ago.

Just as a little insight, these people that changed English football to what it is today actually used American football, baseball and basketball as the benchmark.
    Yeah,they rebuilt/restructured all the stadiums in the late '80s/early '90s,dismissing the hooligans problem inside the stadiums (but the troubles are still there on the streets),creating the new league,the English Premier League in 1992 (which happened thanks to FA that splitted from the old Federation).
    The comparasion between current Serie A and English football of late' 80s is acceptable,we'll see if we can make the same epochal change as the english did at that time,hoping that this economic crisis will end soon for the country.

Fav. Player
    ₩€$£€¥

Macedonia

6 Forum Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Black&Blue View Post
    Yeah,they rebuilt/restructured all the stadiums in the late '80s/early '90s,dismissing the hooligans problem inside the stadiums (but the troubles are still there on the streets),creating the new league,the English Premier League in 1992 (which happened thanks to FA that splitted from the old Federation).
    The comparasion between current Serie A and English football of late' 80s is acceptable,we'll see if we can make the same epocal change as the english did at that time,hoping that this economic crisis will end soon for the country.
    Exactly. But also, the EPL done a great job of branding the competition outside of England (Asia especially) and are still selling to date. This was practically free marketing dollars for the clubs.

If only half of the Asian population buys a Man U shirt or scarf, thats 10's of millions just there
    INTERISTA 4 EVER

“I don’t think the formation model counts, it’s all about the principles and the attitude" - Stefano Pioli

Fav. Player

Italy

Exactly. But also, the EPL done a great job of branding the competition outside of England (Asia especially) and are still selling to date. This was practically free marketing dollars for the clubs.

If only half of the Asian population buys a Man U shirt or scarf, thats 10's of millions just there
    Absolutely,even TVs deals,etc. not just marketing and merchandising.

20. Thanks (1): I4E

Fav. Player
    ₩€$£€¥

Macedonia

6 Forum Supporter
    Absolutely,even TVs deals,etc. not just marketing and merchandising.
    Hence why Inter cannot compete alone. It needs to be collective and driven by FIGC.

EPL began with the top men of Man U, Tot, L'Pool and Arsenal in collaboration with the FA and Sports broadcasters.

Italian club presidents can't even share a ciggarete together
    INTERISTA 4 EVER

22. Thanks (1): Black&Blue

Fav. Player

Italy

Hence why Inter cannot compete alone. It needs to be collective and driven by FIGC.

EPL began with the top men of Man U, Tot, L'Pool and Arsenal in collaboration with the FA and Sports broadcasters.

Italian club presidents can't even share a ciggarete together
    Yeah,they always fight against each other for something,usually for money and more power (like the Tv deals recently),without counting the historical resentments.... at least I see that there's a more unity for this "new stadiums" idea,we'll see how genuine and true this kind of thing will be or maybe it will be another "italian story".

Fav. Player
    ₩€$£€¥

Macedonia

6 Forum Supporter
    Yeah,they always fight against each other for something,usually for money and more power (like the Tv deals recently),without counting the historical resentments.... at least I see that there's a more unity for this "new stadiums" idea,we'll see how genuine and true this kind of thing will be or maybe it will be another "italian story".
    Well i've read that the stadiums issue is very high on the agenda with FIGC and seems that they are very very serious about this. I hope it doesn't become another "italian story".
    INTERISTA 4 EVER

Fav. Player
    #FreeInsigne

Netherlands

That's another major problem. Who are Serie A's marketable players? De Rossi isn't going to exactly help the league with advertising.