Thread: Netherlands World Champions 1978?

Fav. Player
    MM

Netherlands

82 Anti-Barca Forum Supporter

Netherlands World Champions 1978?

Since this is an article, I believe this thread should be in this section, but if I'm wrong, move it to where it belongs.

Yesterday, South-American newspapers reported that FIFA is probably going to start a new investigation about the World Cup final in 1978. Remember? The one with Netherlands against Argentina. Argentina who very suddenly defeated Peru with 6-0 to get to the final instead of Brazil, and won that final, which had more refereeing errors than Rocchi will ever make in his entire carreer.

I am wondering if there is anyone on this board who still very well remembers this game, anyone who can tell us what they thought of that match, if they think Argentina cheated or not.

Full article:

34 years after the final whistle, the Netherlands might still be crowned world champions of 1978. The orange lost the final from host Argentina, but FIFA is considering to grab away Argentina's title as more and more insiders now say that there was bribery.

Sixteen teams took part in this world cup. At the time the World Cup still consisted of two group phases and a final. Netherlands was the group winner in the second round and sailed directly to the finals. Argentina got into the final after a miraculous 6-0 victory over Peru, that also made them first in their group, above Brazil. Both countries had equal points, only Argentina had a better goal difference. They needed to score at least 4 more goals than Peru to get that. Peru was a team that was considered at least as good as Argentina themselves. In the finals, the Argentines defeated the Dutch team, after extra time, as the score after regular time was 1-1.

Corruption

More and more Peruvian officials, however, open their books about the infamous duel with Argentina and the rumors of bribery are getting more and more persistent. For example: after the game there apparently was a huge load of grain shipped from Argentina to Peru. Also, goalkeeper Ramon Quiroga of Peru admits that he and his defense "purposely played worse than on the rest of the tournament".

Argentine media report today that FIFA wants to start an investigation with the new evidence. Therefore there is a good chance that Argentina's victory over Peru will be deleted. The Netherlands would then regulatory become world champions. Will they finally get their first star after all?
    http://www.powned.tv/nieuws/sport/20...dkampioen.html

What do you think? Should Argentina be banned? Should the match be replayed? Or should it stay the way it is right now?
    Bwahahahaha!!! What man would voluntarily impregnate a woman while being sober?! Our fathers were all drunk.
    -Lionheart
    Get your fucking shit together you worthless, spineless, brainless fucking cunts.
    -Universe
    FUCK BARCA

Fav. Player
    Eto'o, Sneijder

China

'Probably going to start a new investigation' aka they probably won't and even if they do they will not find anything, because there is no evidence, because this is from 30 years ago.

The question is irrelevant. It will stay the way it is. Bribery and corruption are ever present, there's probably some going on right now too.

No one cares. Except the people who perpetrate it, and they make sure to cover their bases and that is another reason why there is no evidence. So.

Fav. Player
    Walter Samuel

Brazil

71 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    Almost 40 years have passed you guys should get over it
    PUT CRESPO IN LGI

Fav. Player
    ₩$

Macedonia

6 Forum Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Martijn View Post
    What do you think? Should Argentina be banned? Should the match be replayed? Or should it stay the way it is right now?
    Replay it ! it would be great to see Mario Kempes add to his goal scoring tally at 60 years of age
    INTERISTA 4 EVER

I dont think the formation model counts, its all about the principles and the attitude" - Stefano Pioli

5. Thanks (2): Handoyo, Paco#21

Fav. Player
    Walter Samuel

Brazil

71 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    Fucking hell a replay would be awesome, replacement hips on the touchline
    PUT CRESPO IN LGI

Fav. Player
    ₩$

Macedonia

6 Forum Supporter
    ^
    INTERISTA 4 EVER

I dont think the formation model counts, its all about the principles and the attitude" - Stefano Pioli

Fav. Player
    Perisic

United States

86 FIF Special Ones
    Unfortunately the Netherlands would be missing their most important piece...Ernst Happel. Amazing coach, may he RIP.

9. Thanks (1): Howl

Fav. Player
    Cham-paggin?

Estonia

I feel for Dutch people who believe FIFA actually does something about this and gets their hopes up for nothing...replay would indeed be something amazing.
    It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass.

Fav. Player
    #7 & v/d Fap

Netherlands

After we get the '78 WC title... in a year or so, all the Putalona players will be found guilty using doping.. so we will get the 2010 WC aswell..

Fav. Player
    ETO'o

Quote Originally Posted by Martijn View Post

I am wondering if there is anyone on this board who still very well remembers this game, anyone who can tell us what they thought of that match, if they think Argentina cheated or not.
    This was the first WC final that i can remember watching, but as a 7 year old i didnt know anything other than the fact Argentina won it simply because they scored more goals.
    However i do remember my Dad saying Brazil should be in the final because Argentina had cheated.
    Then again he said the same thing about Inter in 65 and we absolutely,positively know for certain that didnt happen dont we.

I can't see FIFA overturning a WC final result and awarding it to Holland though, nor should it be IMHO.
    Besides Brazil would of won anyway

PS Banning Argentina today would be like punishing the sons for the sins of the father and no good will come of it.
    The views expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily represent those of
    Liverpool Football Club or any affiliates of the club.

W 1135 D 381 L 437

JFT96 YNWA

13. Thanks (1): I4E

Fav. Player
    ₩$

Macedonia

6 Forum Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by YNWALFC View Post
    This was the first WC final that i can remember watching, but as a 7 year old i didnt know anything other than the fact Argentina won it simply because they scored more goals.
    However i do remember my Dad saying Brazil should be in the final because Argentina had cheated.
    Argentina needed to score 5 goals or more in their last group game to go through to the final and knock off Brazil. They beat Peru 6-0 !

My father told me the same story, the Argies fixed some games ! hilarious
    INTERISTA 4 EVER

Fav. Player
    MM

Netherlands

82 Anti-Barca Forum Supporter
    Well the evidence is there, a Peru player from back then admitting that they were playing worse on purpose actually says it all.
    Bwahahahaha!!! What man would voluntarily impregnate a woman while being sober?! Our fathers were all drunk.
    -Lionheart
    Get your fucking shit together you worthless, spineless, brainless fucking cunts.
    -Universe
    FUCK BARCA