Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Coach for this New Inter?

Fav. Player
    Zanetti

England

Most Serious Member Transfer Guru

Best Coach for this New Inter?

By Don Nerazzurri

After the 2-0 defeat to our old enemy Juventus the writing was on the wall for Claudio Ranieri and Massimo Moratti was left with no choice but to replace his head coach for the second time this season. His choice of Andrea Stramaccioni as caretaker may be one of the best decisions he has ever made. Time will tell!

As I’ve said many times this season a new project and philosophy for Inter is crucial for the club’s future and the appointment of our new head scout, Valentino Angeloni from Udinese, has sent clear signals to the rest of the football world that this time Inter are going to be doing whatever is needed to move the club forward. But what about the position within the club that is arguably the most important to the performance side of the club, the head coach?

There are many candidates being talked about for the job but in my opinion there are only four that I feel could take the club in the direction it needs to be heading in, great coaches like Fabio Capello and Luciano Spalletti wouldn’t be the right choices. Luckily Capello denied any interest in the job anyway. and Spalletti has signed a new contract with Zenit so is out of the running too. Two other high-profile coaches that have been linked are Pep Gaurdiola, who I don’t think would succeed at Inter without Moratti spending a lot of money that the club just can’t afford, and of course the ‘Special one’ himself Jose Mourinho who actually fuelled the rumours of a return to the Nerazzurri this week by saying that one day he WILL return.

Controversially, I personally don’t want Mourinho to return for at least a good five years. Don’t get me wrong I do think he is the best coach in the world but I have two reason’s for not wanting him back in the near future. Firstly I think his history of winning the treble with Inter would mean the expectations for almost instant success would certainly be impossible to achieve even for him and in turn this would destroy all our great memories of him and tarnish his status as an Inter legend. The second reason is down to the new project that is under way at the club, I don’t feel that he would be able to rebuild the team mainly from our youth and bring a whole new way of thinking to the club that is so desperately needed, in my opinion Mourinho works at his best when all the pieces are in place for success but he’s not so great at building the foundations and collecting the right pieces. I know a lot of Interisti won’t agree with this but that is my opinion, saying all that though, in four or five years time when Inter is fully rebuilt I do believe without doubt that he could once again lead us to another historic treble.

That leaves us with four very talented coaches who could lead Inter in to the next generation.

Andrea Stramaccioni

Firstly, I’d like to point out that as Stramaccioni has been given the position as caretaker coach, I think he should be given a decent chance to prove himself at the reins and be given until at least the next winter break to make his mark and show he’s up to the job. But we all know what Moratti is like, so there is a chance he’s only with us for the remainder of the season.

‘Stramala’ as he is affectionately known to Interisti after leading the Primavera team to glory in the NexGen series is by far the most unknown candidate for the job which makes it even more surprising that he’s even being considered by Moratti. But after his playing career was cut short by a serious knee injury he has worked tirelessly as a coach. Since he obtained his licence for youth coaches in 2003 while working for Romulea, he has gone on to have a great influence on the Roma youth system where he led them to two national titles.

In 2009 Stramaccioni obtained his current coaching licence, the UEFA A, which means he’s eligible to work as head coach of Lega Pro teams or as vice coach in Serie A or Serie B. This of course wasn’t a problem when in 2011 he replaced the popular Fulvio Pea as the Inter Primavera coach where he built a great understanding with our players and went on to lead the Inter youth to win the NexGen series which is the equivalent of the Champions League for youth teams. This was of course on the same day Ranieri’s first team got beat by Juventus 2-0 and led to him losing his job and prompting Moratti to promote his young talented youth team coach to the position of caretaker until the end of the season. Though as he lacks the required UEFA Pro coaching licence he will work alongside Giuseppe Baresi who has fulfilled the role of assistant coach under many of our previous head coaches and knows the squad and club very well.

Stramaccioni is an intelligent (Graduating in Law in 2010) and charismatic leader with a good eye for tactics, his favoured formation is my favourite 4-2-3-1 though he has been known to also use a 4-3-3 also. Both of which are good balanced setups that should provide some great creative attacking play but also keep the back solid. In his recent press conferences I have noticed that his charisma and confidence remind me of a certain Mr Mourinho, but I don’t really want to resort to comparisons with our legendary treble winning coach, instead I’d like to consider him as his own person and I hope he can prove that “being himself” is exactly what Inter needs to drive them forward to future success.

The only negatives so far that may go against him getting the position permanently are his lack of experience, he is only 35 after all and to become the permanent coach he would have to qualify for his UEFA Pro licence as soon as possible. But as someone pointed out the other day to me, being promoted from the youth team coach to the first team coach is exactly how Pep Guardiola started and look what he’s achieved at Barcelona since being introduced as an unknown manager at a top club. And of course as he’s already an Inter employee it means he would be by far the cheapest option for Moratti.

Our next candidate is Zdenek Zeman who I have to admit I knew little about when @Gigiscik started telling me he was ideal for the job, so I thought who better to tell you all about him than the guy who convinced me:

Zdeněk Zeman by @Gigiscik

What can I say about Zeman?

Well let’s start saying that he is the only manager on Wikipedia who instead of a picture has his formation of 4-3-3 displayed! That tells you already that we are talking about somebody unique, special and different!

The teams that he coaches, they all always have same philosophy no matter what the situation: ATTACK! If you’re drawing he attacks, if you’re losing he attacks and even if you’re winning, he will still attack! This year, Pescara have scored 66 goals so far, and they will probably be over a hundred by the end of the year!

He works with what he has (rarely ever starting with a great team) and builds the team with youngsters, and he builds champions! Consider his time at Roma, it was the best Roma ever seen! I still remember the remarkable 5-0 win against Capello’s Milan! Finishing that season in 4th place after years of almost qualifying for the UEFA cup. I also remember Lazio playing great under him, with a 2nd and a 3rd place finish. Also Foggia, in their first year in Serie A they scored over 60 goals - how crazy is that?

Zeman never made it big because he never compromised with Moggi. He was the first one who started to say the truth about Juve players getting carnetina for breakfast, lunch and..... continued at Who is Best Coach for this New Inter?
    Last edited by Bluenine; 10 Apr 12 at 22:10.

2. Thanks (1): mario.santon

Armenia

I will say Stramm or Marcelo Biesla no one else in my book ( list )

Fav. Player
    Burdisso

Canada

16 FIF Special Ones Forum Supporter Most Stubborn Poster Most Pessimistic Member
    So far there is no "New Inter".. Just the same old Inter that sucks and is old. Moratti still has the same mentality he did back in the "dark ages", he simply does not have the money to back it up anymore. For us to be called a New Inter goals/plans going forward need to be established.. So far all we've seen is talk about this and talk about that and rumors..
    Best match thread opener ever.

Fav. Player
    Zanetti

England

Most Serious Member Transfer Guru
    I hope we stick with Strama for now, it will be good to give him 2-3 years (without pressure of winning trophies) to integrate our primavera stars into the senior squad and build something for the future.

The reality is that Inter cannot spend big for a while, so having a project for the future is the best thing we can do.

Nice article though, it is good to see more Inter and Serie A articles at footballspeak (if any of you want to write, you are welcome!). One option that was missed out was Mancini - he may be looking for a job this summer, and I miss his temperamental organisation But I guess its unrealistic, considering how he ended with Moratti.

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

Egypt

Nicest Poster
    Me ofcourse.

Shit doesnt happen

Fav. Player
    Adriano

Canada

phil jackson

Fav. Player
    Ronaldo

Kuwait

Great article, very informative.

I liked the part about Zeman the most.

TBH, I like Strama a lot but I think he has to be an assistant for few years before he becomes the head coach.

Fav. Player
    Ronaldo, Figo

Indonesia

I really like what u write about Zeman..... if strana sucks (which I hope otherwise).., MM could get crazy and hire Zeman

---------- Post added at 06:49 ---------- Previous post was at 06:48 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Adriano View Post
    phil jackson
    Dude, that will be a great idea if AC Milan execute it

Fav. Player
    Il Capitano

Vanuatu

Plan A: Marcelo Biesla
    Plan B: Louis van Gaal
    Plan C: Vincenzo Montella

Definitely hang on to Andrea Stramaccioni as Assistant Manager though.

Armenia

Marcelo Bielsa

Italy

Re-hire me!

13. Thanks (3): A.l.i, Fitzy, KillerKarl86

Fav. Player
    #7 & v/d Fap

Netherlands

van Gaal for me, but he has to be able to buy players without Branca fuck everything up... he is the right man to re-build Inter

Fav. Player
    Zanetti

England

Surprised no one has mentioned Villas-Boas, (i hope we don't get him by the way) I like what I've seen from Strama so far. Depending on our remaining fixtures this season i hope he stays.
    Some of Us Only See in Black & Blue

Fav. Player
    Milito

Sweden

Quote Originally Posted by KillerKarl86 View Post
    Surprised no one has mentioned Villas-Boas, (i hope we don't get him by the way) I like what I've seen from Strama so far. Depending on our remaining fixtures this season i hope he stays.
    Oh God! Don't mention his name please. I'd rather see an inbred hillbilly as an Inter coach before him. Just like Mou said, he should not come here. Inter resembles Chelsea a bit and from what we can see, he can't handle that Jon. Stick with Strama

Fav. Player
    Zanetti

England

Quote Originally Posted by Forza View Post
    Oh God! Don't mention his name please. I'd rather see an inbred hillbilly as an Inter coach before him. Just like Mou said, he should not come here. Inter resembles Chelsea a bit and from what we can see, he can't handle that Jon. Stick with Strama
    I agree, thing is we have some very hard games before the end of the season (Lazio, Milan, Udinese) if we lose those i hope Moratti doesn't think that Strama isn't up to it and hires somebody else. Would like us to stick with Strama for a full season and see what his ideas like.
    Some of Us Only See in Black & Blue

Fav. Player
    Durian

Ecuador

15 Forum Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by kostas22 View Post
    Plan A: Marcelo Biesla
    Plan B: Louis van Gaal
    Plan C: Vincenzo Montella

Definitely hang on to Andrea Stramaccioni as Assistant Manager though.
    If Van Gaal gets picked up, that would mean Lucio would probably be sold instantly.

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

Kuwait

Quote Originally Posted by Coasterfreek View Post
    If Van Gaal gets picked up, that would mean Lucio would probably be sold instantly.
    other than that, van gaal would be terrible

Syria

10 years of FIF
    Quote Originally Posted by ClaudioRanieri View Post
    Re-hire me!

With those formations and weird ass substitutions, you'll never make any friends!

Fav. Player

Malaysia

I said it 2 years ago. I said it during the summer. I said it also when arsenal got only 1-2 points after 5 game this season (fans asking for his head). Best person you can get with such tight transfer policy is ARSENE WENGER.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk
    UNIQUE AND UNBEATABLE
    Josť Mourinho

To me Zanetti represents the joy of living, the joy of making football your job every morning. He is the smile, the life force, the passion for training, the good cheer for everyone who works with him. To me Javier Zanetti is all of these things, and he is a man that I'm happy to say will be a friend forever.
    After all of that, and a long way behind, comes the footballer. But having been his coach for only two years of his incredible career, it's not my place to talk about a man who has written his own story - and what a marvellous story it is. All I will say is thank you for everything, thank you for giving me a small space in your story. What I will cherish most is that hug in the middle of the Santiago Bernabeu: it won't be the last but it was certainly the most intense of our two years together.
    Perhaps one day somebody might beat Zanetti's record, but there will only ever be one Zanetti.

Fav. Player
    Il Capitano

Pakistan

I want Zeman after reading the above.
    Spoiler: text