Thread: Inter's Transfer Strategy This Summer Needs To Focus On Youth

Fav. Player
    Zanetti

England

Most Serious Member Transfer Guru

Inter's Transfer Strategy This Summer Needs To Focus On Youth

It may be too early to talk about transfers. But since Inter don't have much to play for, perhaps we should start making plans for the next year. Lets first quickly summarise the situation Inter find themselves in:

• The treble is distant memory, and a revolution is needed to rebuild Inter.
    • The focus of the club now is clearly is on youth development.
    • Due to FFP kicking in, the club cannot spend too much money. Most of the transfers fuInternds will have to be “earned” by selling stars.
    • Inter’s existing resources, a dangerous mix of very old and very young, are best suited for a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 or at a stretch, 4-3-1-2.

In this scenario, the best strategy for Inter is to start a 2-3 year project to build a new team with young players. Here is what I think Inter should do:

Decide on the right coach.

Patience is a virtue. Unfortunately it is also something Inter’s President Moratti lacks. It is becoming clear that Moratti will not show too much patience with young Stramaccioni at the helm, specially if results do not go our way. And when you start a new revolution, initially the results will not go your way. While I like the idea’s of Stramaccioni, and believe he has a great future (hopefully with Inter), if Moratti is not willing to give him at least 2-3 years to rebuild the side, its best to hire a coach on whom the president has confidence. Someone who can take tough decisions without the fear of getting sacked. My preference is Prandelli. He has rebuilt sides before, he is great with youth, and his calm persona is perhaps what “pazza” Inter need to reduce the chaos that engulfs the club. Prandelli’s preferred 4-2-3-1 is also a decent fit with Inter’s existing resources.

If we cannot get Prandelli, we should go for one of Spalletti or Guidolin. These coaches could also suit the resources available at Inter, and possibly build something exciting for the future. What Inter should avoid are coaches who have dramatically different idea’s to what Inter are currently used to, who will try to change too much too soon with too little investment. Inter have been there before (Check out my article predicting the Gasperini disaster), and I hope we have learnt from that experience. So while I really respect Bielsa as a coach, he is NOT for Inter.

Players Inter need to sell to raise funds.

Pazzini needs to go, he is just not good enough for Inter. And he may fetch us a few million. Regarding Sneijder, we may have to sell him to raise funds for transfers, but I would do that only if we get over €20m for him. If we can sell Maicon for anywhere around €10m, I would love to see that - maybe he needs a fresh challenge, but his performances for Inter last two seasons have been appalling. If we can get a €5m+ offer for Forlan, we should sell him too. But if no offer comes, lets keep him as back up. Stankovic we should keep for a bench role, his market value will be next to nothing and he can add some maturity to the bench. I guess it’s also time for Cordoba and Orlandoni to retire. I would definitely keep Chivu - I hope we don't let him walk away for free, players of his quality will cost us at least €5-10m to replace. And his performances have been quite encouraging at CB of late.

Players Inter have taken on loan.

Zarate is not worth half of what Lazio are asking, and neither should we take up Palombo's option – he is just not good enough for Inter. I am not sure about Guarin, he does not look worth the money we are expected to pay - I would give him back if we have that option. But he hasn’t had much of an opportunity to prove himself yet, so I wouldn’t mind if Inter end up keeping him. We should definitely keep Poli, he has a great future with us.

Players Inter have loaned out.

Muntari's contract ends, thank God. Pandev & Mariga we should get rid of. Benedetti & Caldirola are impressing in their loan spells in Serie B, and I would like to get at least one of them back to start learning the ropes from Samuel & Lucio. These kids could be the future of our defence. We should definitely get back Coutinho, he has developed his end product in Spain. And as for Viviano, unless we sell Cesar for big money, we should keep him where he is, a back up for the future.

To summarize so far...

IN: Coutinho, Caldirola, Poli.
    OUT: Pandev, Sneijder, Maicon, Cordoba, Mariga, Pazzini, Palombo, Guarin, Zarate.

Of course, in reality we may not be able to push Sneijder, Maicon, Pazzini, Pandev, etc for what they are worth. But lets just assume for now (in my fantasy world) that we are able to do that. That should give us about ~ €45m of funds from sales. Plus the saved ~ €35 million from not taking up options on Zarate, Palombo, and Guarin. Assuming we have this €80m for transfers (hey, it’s my fantasy world!), we can do a great job of rebuilding with that.

The Remaining Squad.

GK: Cesar, Castellazzi
    FB: Nagatomo, Zanetti, Faraoni
    CB: Samuel, Lucio, Chivu, Ranocchia, Juan, Caldirola
    CM/DM: Cambiasso, Stankovic, Poli, Obi
    AM: Alvarez, Coutinho
    FW: Milito, Forlan, Castaignos

Moves in the transfer market.

GK: We are good here. We should just promote youth player Di Gennaro to that third spot.

FB: We definitely need 2 top players here. I like Benatia.... Continued at Inter's Transfer Strategy This Summer Needs To Focus On Youth

Fav. Player
    Y. Nagatomo

Tenerife

I would definitely keep Chivu - I hope we don't let him walk away for free, players of his quality will cost us at least €5-10m to replace. And his performances have been quite encouraging at CB of late.
    WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?????????????

Fav. Player
    Zanetti

England

Quote Originally Posted by Calzo View Post
    WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?????????????
    The last two games, he was one of our best players... Chivu will be missed if he leaves, he is quality as a bench player.

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

Egypt

Nicest Poster
    Expect for Prandelli idea, the departure of Sneijder, Maicon, Zarate and Guarin all togther, and lastly the Chivu and Deki not going nowhere. I agree with everything else. credit for the effort anyway.

Shit doesnt happen

5. Thanks (1): Lionheart

Fav. Player
    Y. Nagatomo

Tenerife

Quote Originally Posted by Bluenine View Post
    The last two games, he was one of our best players... Chivu will be missed if he leaves, he is quality as a bench player.
    Over the last 2 games maybe... But not over the course of two seasons where he has been gash. Not to mention the fact that he is really getting on in terms of age...

Fav. Player
    J.Zanetti

Nepal

21 10 years of FIF
    Sadly, that is how our management buying new players as well - based on the performances in 1/2 games and we know how it is going on. Chivu MUST leave at any cost, also coz we can't afford to have such an expensive bench warmer.

Fav. Player
    Zanetti

England

Quote Originally Posted by Pravesh View Post
    Sadly, that is how our management buying new players as well - based on the performances in 1/2 games and we know how it is going on. Chivu MUST leave at any cost, also coz we can't afford to have such an expensive bench warmer.
    I am obviously assuming that any new contract will not be so expensive, in line with his age. I think Chivu & Stank's contributions are very under rated here, specially if people would rather let them go for free rather than keep them as bench options.

---------- Post added at 09:08 ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Devious View Post
    Expect for Prandelli idea, the departure of Sneijder, Maicon, Zarate and Guarin all togther, and lastly the Chivu and Deki not going nowhere. I agree with everything else. credit for the effort anyway.
    You can only sell players who people are willing to buy. Sneijder & Maicon could fetch about 30m or so. Zarate & Guarin are perhaps not worth the 30m-odd we will have to pay to keep them. Stank & Chivu, we will not get a penny for.

I can see where you are coming from, but what I am assuming in my article is that Moratti cannot spend much apart from funds raised through sales.

Fav. Player
    J.Zanetti

Nepal

21 10 years of FIF
    I am obviously assuming that any new contract will not be so expensive, in line with his age. I think Chivu & Stank's contributions are very under rated here, specially if people would rather let them go for free rather than keep them as bench options.
    For the salaries we pay them, I find them overrated.

Yeah, it is not that easy to get rid of Stankovic but if I am not wrong, Chivu's contract will end this season. He would not accept bench role at all and in my opinion and he would definitely demand in the region of €3 million or so I guess. On the other hand, experiences of Lucio/Samuel (at least one of them to be with us and I prefer Samuel) would be enough for us.

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

Argentina

But he was one of our worst defender for 2 seasons
    http://irequis.wordpress.com/
    Feeling up the senses like a night in Giuseppe Meazza

Fav. Player
    22IcardiBroHand
    Old name
    DomesticatedPimp

Albania

Quote Originally Posted by Irequis View Post
    But he was one of our worst defender for 2 seasons
    its FIF, FUCK LOGIC.

Fav. Player
    Zanetti

England

I am warming up to Guarin, perhaps we should keep him afterall.

Armenia

Guarin and Snejder is a must stay IMO, rest i do like the rest. As well the buy out of Zarate, i believe MM is going after Lavazzi, and there isnt any room for Zarate left, so i think inter wont buy him at all.

Fav. Player
    Zanetti

England

Bzzdk, I have changed my mind of Guarin since too. I really like him, we must definitely keep him.

If we can afford to keep Sneijder, great. But I doubt we can.

Armenia

I am afraid as well he gonna leave this summer, if he does have a great Euro 2012 and become one of the best player i will guess he can be sold around 35-45 mill euro for sure, but for now i really hope he does stay, the way he respond to stramma is like the way he opened to Mourinho

Fav. Player
    Zanetti

England

Quote Originally Posted by bzzdk View Post
    I am afraid as well he gonna leave this summer, if he does have a great Euro 2012 and become one of the best player i will guess he can be sold around 35-45 mill euro for sure, but for now i really hope he does stay, the way he respond to stramma is like the way he opened to Mourinho
    Very true, Strama is the first coach since Mourinho who has brought out the best in Sneijder.... I hope we has a fantastic Euro too, so that if he has to be sold, we get our pot of gold for him, and can use that to strengthen the squad further. With Alvarez & Coutinho starting to look decent, and Guarin looking good, and a exciting talent in Bessa, we may just be able to cope without Sneijder.

But ideally, he is our best player and I hope we can keep him. We can raise some money by selling the likes of Pazzini, Maicon, etc.

Armenia

You do realize there is a lot of talk about him leaving last year to Man UTD but the deal was cut of due to he wanted to get payed as much as Rooney but Man Utd didnt wanna pay so much, The reason i believe he wanted to leave cause Inter managers didnt have a plan what should happen, that season, but when stram come along everything change his behaving the way he reacted, and as some of us have told many times before that he was always playing with Defended minded players instead of Zarate Alvarez at the same time, it gives him more space to exploit, and that is why we did see this kind of form, as he had with JM.

I believe he will stay to prove his worth, i know he is already proven star both international and club wise, and yes he is a good friend of Javier Zanetti.

Zanetti, a devout Catholic, is a close friend of Dutch footballer Wesley Sneijder, whom he inspired to convert to Catholicism.

Basicly i believe what ever Zanetti does say will he listen to him. The only reason he will be sold is if MM didnt want him, or something will splash 45 mill euro for him, otherwise i dont see him leaving for 31 Mill ( less proven players cost that much )

Fav. Player
    Zanetti

England

Quote Originally Posted by bzzdk View Post
    You do realize there is a lot of talk about him leaving last year to Man UTD but the deal was cut of due to he wanted to get payed as much as Rooney but Man Utd didnt wanna pay so much, The reason i believe he wanted to leave cause Inter managers didnt have a plan what should happen, that season, but when stram come along everything change his behaving the way he reacted, and as some of us have told many times before that he was always playing with Defended minded players instead of Zarate Alvarez at the same time, it gives him more space to exploit, and that is why we did see this kind of form, as he had with JM.

I believe he will stay to prove his worth, i know he is already proven star both international and club wise, and yes he is a good friend of Javier Zanetti.

Zanetti, a devout Catholic, is a close friend of Dutch footballer Wesley Sneijder, whom he inspired to convert to Catholicism.

Basicly i believe what ever Zanetti does say will he listen to him. The only reason he will be sold is if MM didnt want him, or something will splash 45 mill euro for him, otherwise i dont see him leaving for 31 Mill ( less proven players cost that much )
    I hope he stays, there are not many AMs as good as him...

My views on who should stay or go have changed since I wrote the article (and I am sure they will keep changing all over the summer)... I am now glad that we confirmed Guarin for one. Secondly, I want Lucio out at any cost, and replaced by Benatia or someone of that quality. I like Benatia a lot coz not only is he a top CB, but he can also play in a 3 man defence AND is a decent FB.

Fav. Player
    Sneijder

South Africa

Afford to keep Sneijder?

We can't afford to replace him!

Fav. Player
    zamorano
    Old name
    noxxaro

Japan

Palacio
    Solo Internazionale 1908