Thread: Inter's chances of Champions League football next season

Fav. Player
    Zanetti

England

Most Serious Member Transfer Guru

Inter's chances of Champions League football next season

While Milan chase Juventus for the Scudetto, the public eye is more focussed on a more exciting battle currently underway in Serie A. Itís the battle for the 3rd position Ė the last Champions League qualification spot, and the Europa League spots.

This is the first season where Italy are officially the 4th league as per UEFA co-efficient rankings, which means that from next season onwards, Italy will have only 3 representatives in the UEFA Champions League. Currently, there are 5 teams in with a chance to make this 3rd place, but before we analyse this any further, let me go back a week ago to a post I had written about this situation.

Last week, 6 games to go

Lazio were sitting pretty, with an easier schedule and key head to heads to play. The 3rd spot was within their hands. However, they have been on a free fall, and were expected to drop some points.

See Table

Udinese, Napoli and Roma were also off-colour, dropping easy points in recent weeks, while Inter seemed to come back from nowhere into the fringes of contention, due to the new found enthusiasm under new coach Stramaccioni. Looking at the run-ins, it was clear that Roma would struggle, while Napoli had the easiest run in of all teams. If they stuck any kind of form, they were the horse to bet on.

Interís task still looked herculean, too many tough away games and a derby to play. But it wasnít impossible, as there were too many head-to-heads to play for between all the teams. And mostly because of the terrible form of the pack leaders, Udinese & Lazio, who were dropping unnecessary points.

My money was on Napoli.

Today, 4 games to go

How things have changed. Lazio & Udinese have managed only 1 point each from the 2 games, opening the race up very nicely for the rest.

See Table

Lazio still lead the table, but now they have a resurgent Napoli on their heels. Inter have managed 4 points from two tough away games, and are right back in it with just 3 points separating them from Lazio. So lets analyse each teams run-in in a little more detail.

Napoli

Form guide: WWLLL

They were on a free-fall, probably a fall-out from the extra workload of the Champions League. But the last 2 matchdays, Napoli have returned to their best. Not just the results, but also the way they have played. There is a tricky away game at Rome coming up this weekend, a victory there would put them as the favourites for the 3rd spot, as their run-in is relatively easier.

They remain my bet for making into the Champions League.

Inter

Form guide: WDWDW

Five weeks ago, even making the Europa League looked like a dream. Inter were experiencing one of their worst runs in history, and just got their coach sacked after a disastrous Derby díitalia, replaced by a novice who was yet to coach any senior side. But 5 games and 11 points later, Inter seem back in the race for the CL spot. Mathematically, if Roma beat Napoli this weekend, Inter will have their destiny in their own hands. Win the remaining 4 games, and they are.... Inter's chances of Champions League football next season

2. Thanks (2): Bzzlightyear, Cal

Fav. Player
    Zanetti

England

Do drop some comments on what you think here: The Thrilling Race to Europe

And if you can rate the article with a 10, that would be splendid

Armenia

I am only afraid of Napoli, If napoli does lose then i will say we will have the 3rd spot, as at that moment we will get moral boost, that we can go ahead of them, As well it wont be bad if Udenise wins againts Lazio and we will have same points, but head-to-head we are the one who have most poins of of thos 2 teams, and will climb as first.

But lets not get to happy right now, lets wait and see, as well we can not lose anymore, or draw otherwise the dream of CL next season will be lost.

Fav. Player
    Il Capitano

Pakistan

Imo, this was an unnecessary thread.
    Spoiler: text 

Fav. Player
    Zanetti

England

Quote Originally Posted by A.l.i View Post
    Imo, this was an unnecessary thread.
    Why is it? I thought the race for CL spot IS quite relevant...

Fav. Player
    Zanetti

England

4 teams on 55 points, I have added some interesting scenario analysis here