Thread: Top 20 Highest Earning Players & Managers, and the Clubs That Pay Them

Fav. Player
    Zanetti

England

Most Serious Member Transfer Guru

Top 20 Highest Earning Players & Managers, and the Clubs That Pay Them

Evolution of Money in Football - This first part looks at the rising wages off players and managers in football, and how things have changed...

There is way too much money in football these days. In this first part of a series which examines the extent & impact of money in football, we take a look at the evolution of earnings of players, how much do the top players and managers earn today.

When I was a teenager at Dundee and I saw the senior players I used to think "Well if I'm with Arbroath at that age,getting 30 a week and all the kippers I can eat, I'll be doing pretty well for myself." - Gordon Strachan

Paradigm shifts in the History of Wage Structures

In 1901, we had a wage limit of 4-a-week in England. It took over 20 years for that maximum amount to double to 8-a-week in 1922, which was subsequently raised to 12-a-week in 1947. It was an entirely different game those days.

In 1961, the first paradigm shift in the way players were paid happened as the wage limit was abolished. When Fulham's Johnny Haynes became the first 100-a-week player in football that year, people were shocked at the ridiculous amount of money in the game. These days, you need to multiply that a thousand times to raise a few eyebrows.

Wages have been steadily increasing in football since the days of Johnny Haynes, like is most other professions. The legends of Manchester United's 1968 team were apparently on about 250-a-week of wages, making a little more from endorsements. Then in 1979, Peter Shilton became the best paid player in Britain with a 1200-a-week salary at Forest.

The 2nd paradigm shift which radically changed the amount players were paid was down to the start of the golden age of Serie A. Brasilian Falcao became the first player to cross 5 digits a week with a rumoured 10,000-a-week salary in the 80s. Roberto Baggio was rumoured to be on a $2.5m a year ($50,000-a-week) salary at Juventus in the early 90s, at the peak of Serie A's golden age.

Then we had the 3rd paradigm shift, which dramatically changed everything. A landmark European court case in 1995, the Bosman ruling gave freedom of movement to out-of-contract players. With clubs now able to get star players for free, part of the transfer fee "savings" were transfered to player wages. Agents of other players who did not benefit from Bosman-style wages negotiated parity for their clients. Pre-Bosman, Chris Sutton was the highest paid player in England on a salary of 10,000-a-week in 1994 at Blackburn, and by 1996, Ravanelli was rumoured to be on a salary of 40,000-a-week at Boro!

Such was the impact of the Bosman ruling on wages, and by the 2000s the wage bill of clubs started to hit the roof. In 2001, Sol Cambell became the World's first 100,000-a-week player, moving on a Bosman from Spurs to Arsenal. The six-digit-a-week barrier had been broken, and all hell was about to break loose...

Top 20 highest Earning Players

Last month, France Football magazine released the rich list of football. Below is their list of top 20 richest football players, based on annual earnings derived from wages and sponsorship deals.

Rich Player.jpg

Messi earned a staggering 33m, which probably included about 3.6m of bonuses from winning the treble last season. Does he deserve to earn so much, is any one player that important to merit that much, is debatable. But if any player is worth that much money, its Messi. Brand Beckham is still second, and in reality, only second due to the weakening dollar against the euro. Ronaldo is third at 29m, and Eto'o's record breaking move to Anzhi makes him the 4th highest earning player.

Lets analyse these 20 names to see which league and country is contributing to these massive salaries... Continued at Top 20 Highest Earning Players & Managers, and the Clubs That Pay Them.

2. Thanks (2): ADRossi, Bzzlightyear

Fav. Player
    Perisic

United States

86 FIF Special Ones
    So it only took 8.6m to get Hiddink back into club coaching?? We could have avoided this entire dramatic season if we just grabbed him in the Summer instead of going with the half-price special of Gasperini!

Mourinho earned more than that, so going to Hiddink would have kept a quality coach at a cheaper price. I think timing was just the issue. Hiddink was in charge at Turkey till November 16th...we fired Gasp on September 21. We were 3 weeks away from landing a great manager. Oh well, things look like they are on the up with Strama, so hopefully he will also become a great manager.

Fav. Player
    Zanetti

England

It is crazy how much money is there in football these days... specially when you compare it to all other sports like in the article, its just crazy.

Fav. Player
    Cuchu, The Wall

Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Bluenine View Post
    It is crazy how much money is there in football these days... specially when you compare it to all other sports like in the article, its just crazy.
    Too true, the Rugby guys down here get paid peanuts compared to these guys, and man Dario Conca earns more than any of our players? I mean seriously wtf.:milkrageface:

Fav. Player
    Sneijder

South Africa

What about executive pay? That has risen even faster than footballer's pay, and they do even less for society! I don't see how much we pay footballers is a problem compared to how much CEOs. Wealth disparity in this day and age is just ridiculous. At the top there are the 'owners', and they own everything, the football clubs, the banks, the oil companies. Then below that are the management, they make a couple million a year, which the owners pay them to remind them who they work for, and CEOs in turn don't give wage rises across the board to the employees, because that would mean less money could be paid to executives! And then there is everyone else.

We'll see how long it lasts, but this kind of thing, historically, has ended 'badly'.

Fav. Player
    Durian

Ecuador

15 Forum Supporter
    Does this also include endorsement money? I wasn't so sure.

Fav. Player
    Perisic

United States

86 FIF Special Ones
    Quote Originally Posted by Coasterfreek View Post
    Does this also include endorsement money? I wasn't so sure.
    Yes it does.

Messi makes about the same as LeBron does which is:

http://www.best-reviewers.com/how-mu...m#.T7MIW0VSTgc

Fav. Player
    Durian

Ecuador

15 Forum Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by vitomins View Post
    Yes it does.

Messi makes about the same as LeBron does which is:

http://www.best-reviewers.com/how-mu...m#.T7MIW0VSTgc
    I remember some article at one point had Beckham as the highest a year or two ago with all the endorsement money.

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/3306...aldo-messi.htm

Fav. Player
    Zanetti

England

Quote Originally Posted by Coasterfreek View Post
    I remember some article at one point had Beckham as the highest a year or two ago with all the endorsement money.

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/3306...aldo-messi.htm
    Becks was highest, and this year he is below Messi only because of the depreciation of the dollar as compared to the Euro/pound.