Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Tactical Importance of Ricky Alvarez

Fav. Player
    Zanetti

England

The Tactical Importance of Ricky Alvarez

By Benjamin Dalusma

Ricardo Alvarez is one of the best playmakers in the world but unfortunately his talent is often misunderstood. Let's analyze the player tactically...

Ricky Alvarez is not your typical tequartista, yet he does not get either the attention or the opportunity he truly deserves. The first time I saw him play for Velez a couple of years ago (2010), I knew the kid was money and that sooner or later he'd become one of the most important players in football. Today, while most of Inter's managers (Gasperini, Ranieri and Stramaccioni) have used him quite regularly in their systems, I still believe that we have not seen the full potential of this player, mostly because he has not been used at his optimal position.

As I said, he is not a typical attacking midfielder and maybe this is why his talent and efforts on the pitch get overlooked. When he started his professional career in Argentina for Velez around 2008, he was a classic number 10, the offensive leader and the guy who controlled the game's tempo. Many described him as the new Riquelme. He was very slow but his passing abilities and his technique made him an interesting prospect. However, it was during his last season in Argentina that he proved he could be a world class player. During that season he played everywhere in the midfield: on the wing as right/left midfielder, as a classic number 10 but mostly as deep-lying playmaker and to be quite honest that's where he impressed me the most. He often looked like Pirlo but bringing much more offensive upside to Velez while still being pretty solid defensively. His versatility was crucial to Velez's wonderful run in the Copa Libertadores in 2011.

As an Inter Milan fan, I was very happy to hear him sign with them in the summer 2011. Many questioned the move and argued that Inter did not need such a player. What would've been the role of a young playmaker considering that the team already had Sneijder as their central attacking midfielder and Dejan Stankovic could come off the bench at any time? I have a feeling most people in the football world (including people in Argentina) don't understand the importance of..... continued at The Tactical Importance of Ricky Alvarez
    Write for my Website

Follow me on Twitter

Follow me on Facebook

Fav. Player
    J-Rod

Colombia

Very interesting.

Armenia

should this be as well on alvarez thread, instead creating a new one, best if someone can merge it

Fav. Player
    :/

Bosnia Herzegovina

Most Missed Member
    fuck it
    I'm streets ahead.

Fav. Player
    N. Beccalossi

South Korea

89 Forum Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluenine View Post
    Ricardo Alvarez is one of the best playmakers in the world...
    Wimmy Wham Wham Wozzle

Fav. Player
    Il Chino

Costa Rica

That's as far as I got as well.

7. Thanks (3): Analrapist, Native, Wallace

Fav. Player

Malaysia

I do think ricky can excel as an deeplying playmaker...

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk
    UNIQUE AND UNBEATABLE
    José Mourinho

To me Zanetti represents the joy of living, the joy of making football your job every morning. He is the smile, the life force, the passion for training, the good cheer for everyone who works with him. To me Javier Zanetti is all of these things, and he is a man that I'm happy to say will be a friend forever.
    After all of that, and a long way behind, comes the footballer. But having been his coach for only two years of his incredible career, it's not my place to talk about a man who has written his own story - and what a marvellous story it is. All I will say is thank you for everything, thank you for giving me a small space in your story. What I will cherish most is that hug in the middle of the Santiago Bernabeu: it won't be the last but it was certainly the most intense of our two years together.
    Perhaps one day somebody might beat Zanetti's record, but there will only ever be one Zanetti.

Fav. Player
    Zanetti

England

Quote Originally Posted by Universe View Post
    Yeah, I know. But this has clearly been written by a fan, and as we all know, fans do exaggerate Its an interesting article overall, and raises an interesting tactical option for Strama.... as a plan b or plan C, we could move Sneijder up field to a support striker role, and Alvarez deeper as a treqartista or maybe even a regista. It sounds interesting, would love to see it in a coppa game or a friendly.
    Write for my Website

Follow me on Twitter

Follow me on Facebook

Fav. Player
    Il Capitano

Pakistan

Severely disagree with this article. It looks to me as if its been written by a pure Alvarez fan who has labelled him as "world class" and stated wrong things such as him being played deep against Milan in May which is blatantly wrong. He was there with Sneijder behind Milito, set up Milito as well which led to a penalty. Best performance of him V Milan? No. His best performance was against Lecce when he was sometimes on the right, sometimes on the left.

His style, the way he plays is of a player in the attacking positions. Anyone who plays football can easily recognize it but unfortunately his speed isn't top notch.
    Spoiler: text 

Fav. Player
    Zanetti

England

Speed isn't everything, is Pirlo fast? I think Alvarez looks a quality player, if we play him and injuries don't hamper him i think he could be a huge force for Inter. Should create plenty of attacking movements and assists.
    Some of Us Only See in Black & Blue

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

Virgin Islands

4 Biggest Troll Most Humorous Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionheart
    In the past 10 years I've been following this club, I've never felt so disgusted like these days. Getting my hopes up at the beginning of every season, with the arrival of a new coach, new players & now a new president, only to get fucked in the ass again & again & get punished for having hope in this fucking team.

Fav. Player
    NOT Il Capitano

Falkland Islands

0 Forum Supporter
    The thing about speed is - Pirlo isn't fast but he thinks fast. You don't see him wasting time on the ball or losing it because he is slow. Alvarez does that.

Having said it, Alvarez has a lot of potential which Strama has to somehow utilize. I would like to see him in the center in 4231 as central playmaker but a bit deeper, and also test in the Pirlo position.
    IO SONO INTERISTA

Fav. Player
    Il Capitano

Pakistan

Imo he doesn't have the passing ability required for that role.
    Spoiler: text 

Fav. Player
    Ronaldo

Kuwait

Quote Originally Posted by rockball View Post
    The thing about speed is - Pirlo isn't fast but he thinks fast. You don't see him wasting time on the ball or losing it because he is slow. Alvarez does that.

Having said it, Alvarez has a lot of potential which Strama has to somehow utilize. I would like to see him in the center in 4231 as central playmaker but a bit deeper, and also test in the Pirlo position.

That's what I was thinking about.

Pirlo position could suit him.

Fav. Player
    dуnasty27

Nicaragua

@rockball Pirlo maybe isn't fast but he always has pacy players next to him.

Fav. Player
    NOT Il Capitano

Falkland Islands

0 Forum Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jimakos View Post
    @rockball Pirlo maybe isn't fast but he always has pacy players next to him.
    True, but then Pirlo is also able to make the passes to them quickly. That's something which Alvarez hasn't done so far, he takes too long to make those passes.
    IO SONO INTERISTA

18. Thanks (1): indiecutz

Fav. Player
    Zanetti

England

Guys, if you like to write about Inter or football.... Win a HD TV, £100 of Free Bets, and Other Exciting Prizes in FootballSpeak's Euro 2012 Writer's Competition!
    Write for my Website

Follow me on Twitter

Follow me on Facebook

Brazil

Alvarez is awful. He is not creative, neither fast or skillfull. Just a complete fail.

I wished Arsenal had signed him before us.

Syria

10 years of FIF
    Quote Originally Posted by hcosimo View Post
    Alvarez is awful. He is not creative, neither fast or skillfull. Just a complete fail.

absolute gibberish to say he is not creative or skillful.

Brazil

In Youtube, any player can be good, mate. Even Biabiany would look like a good player.

Álvarez just doesn't convince me. And IMO, he is definately not worth 12M.