Fav. Player

South Africa

Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF

Inter ultras vs Verona ultras

Inter and Verona Fans Clash at Italy Match
    WORLD CUP 2006

Sunday, March 27, 2005

San Siro trouble 'worst in 20 years'

Scottish Football Association chief executive David Taylor described the violent scenes on the terraces during the 2-0 defeat in Italy as the worst he had witnessed in 20 years.
    Rival fans from Inter Milan and Verona clashed at the San Siro Stadium in the section directly below the Tartan Army.

Baton-wielding riot police eventually dispersed the two sets of supporters, who were armed with sticks and chains.

Taylor was grateful that the 10,000 travelling fans had not been caught up in the brief but brutal battle which was played out behind a goal during the second period of the World Cup qualifier in Milan.

He said: 'Those scenes were incredible. I have not seen scenes like that in football grounds for 20 years. It was one set of Italian fans against another set of Italian fans - almost pre-planned we understand.

'It was fans from Verona against some fans from Inter Milan. The Veronese arrived late and were under attack, with the police responding with riot shields and goodness knows what else.

'I'm just glad the Scottish fans couldn't see what was happening. They might have heard the noise but they couldn't see it like the rest of us. It was something you really don't want to see in a football ground.'

The San Siro is no stranger to fans' misbehaviour as Wales supporters will testify after being pelted with missiles during a Euro 2004 qualifier.

But Taylor, who is a member of the UEFA disciplinary committee, has revealed that the wheels were already in motion for action against the Italian authorities for failure to control their fans.

He added: 'Certainly there will be a report from the delegate, who I know very well. These are matters that will have to be reported. But, and the delegate confirmed this, it was absolutely nothing to do with the Scottish fans.

'This was two sets of Italian fans deciding that this was a location and occasion where they could confront each other. We just happened to be there at the time.

'It is also a reminder that, in Scottish football, we don't have that any longer. Football authorities, FIFA and UEFA really do have to make sure stadium security is the best it can be.

'I don't know quite why it happened, but really it shouldn't have.'

The hardcore of Verona fans who are known as the `Yellow and Blue Brigade' but call themselves `The Kids' and have a reputation for right-wing leanings.

But, in contrast, there was not a single arrest among the travelling Scots, who continued to sing loudly in the famous stadium after the game had finished.

And the SFA chief lauded the fans for their continued support, despite the poor form endured in the reign of Berti Vogts.

Taylor said: 'The Tartan Army are fantastic. It is not so much what I think, but it is the impression they make on other countries.

'Our national team's fortunes on the pitch might be at a low ebb, but, when the Italians saw the numbers and the way the supporters behaved, they were just knocked over.

'We have got the best supporters in Europe and very much appreciate what they do. They are helping us through these difficult times. We know that results are not great, but there are signs of promise and, hopefully, we will come back. They are pulling us through this.

'In the way they behave and the numbers they turn up in is terrific.'

The square outside the famous Duomo Cathedral became a Tartan Army parade-ground days before kick-off and Taylor himself had been a member before taking up his current Hampden Park post.

With the previous disappointments on the pitch in mind, he said: 'It is worth coming to even without the football.

'Sometimes, you feel that, unfortunately, there is a football game afterwards. But it is a great experience and, for those who haven't done it, you have got to experience it to know what is so special about the Tartan Army.'

What the hell were those idiots thinking?? This is bad for our reputation.
    Forza Inter per sempre!!!!
    Jose responding after the derby:"We could only have lost by having six people on the park, as even with seven, we would have won. "
    New Domain name

21 times
    Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

The sad thing about this was just half a decade ago, the 2 sets of ultras were the best of friends, a friendship that spanned more than a few decades. This is another disgraceful act that is remniscent of so many others that have plagued Italian football since forever.

A huge question is, why did the Veronesi decide to travel to Milano in our home ground to choose to fight? I think it was a very silly move on their part. I don't want to read too much into their intentions now, but it seems like a huge mix-up of sorts that led to the fight. It could have been planned, but i don't think the 2 sets of fans were planning to fight each other now, were they?

Of course, stupidity overcomes all forms of logic, so yeah, maybe they decided to beat the hell out of each other in full view of FIFA officials. Amazing.

1 times

OK, this is video about incident after Verona-Genoa match in same night. After this they obviously decided to travel to Milano..

51 times
    Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

Urrrgh! Them damn Veronesi came to the San Siro to pick beef with us! Oh man, I hate them more than I did now!

"Cuore, Testa, Muscoli.. Da anni sognavamo un Gruppo cosi!!!
    Forza Ragazzi
    Nessuno escluso"

53 times
    Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

83 10 years of FIF
    I used to like them because thay are called HELLAS Verona.

But now...

Its sad, as somebody mentioned we used to be friends....also we were friends with sampdoria fans, but unfortunetly they could not understand how to behave with us...

Vinci ad Atene, godi in Europa...torni in Italia e ti scopri un idiota -36