Thread: The perfect trident

Old name
    browha

Europe

25 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF

The perfect trident

Not passing any comment on whether Lucas will or will not sign for Inter, but a lot of people feel he would simply detract from Coutinho and be an expensive splash for no reason.

I disagree.

Why?

We could form a midfield trident of Lucas Sneijder Coutinho. In doing so, you have all three fundamental things you want from attacking midfield. In Moura you have an attacking player with pace and dribbling abilities who does well cutting in from the right. Coutinho is a slightly more technical player who has also a great range of passing and some playmaking abilities.

You put the three of them together, and you have every attribute a defense needs to deal with. Through balls, lofted balls, long range of passing, direct attacking play, passing, pace... The issue, though, for me, is still in midfield. We need someone who can link defense with attack. A pure passer, someone like Poli. Coutinho is also - going from tonight's game - not a guaranteed starter. Lucas Sneijder Palacio could be very interesting, and Lucas could also fulfill the vice-Milito role (along side Palacio). Signing him would also mean Longo or Livaja have space for the forthcoming season, too.

Lucas could be a great signing for Inter. From an FFP side, his total cost would be something equivalent to that of Cesar's salary. It's not, thus, entirely horrendous. A big name signing is something Inter have lacked for a while now.

I'd like to see this transfer happen. Alvarez, realistically, could go out on loan as he won't have much space at Inter, but this could launch him.

Also, look to the future. We almost have a ready made Sneijder replacement in Bessa. He's got the playmaking attributes and vision, as well as a slightly more direct attacking style. Put Bessa in there in a couple years time - assuming he develops well - and we could have a phenomenal Brazilian trio.

---------- Post added at 22:02 ---------- Previous post was at 21:38 ----------

The system I have in mind basically would be:

Sneijder plays like he did under Mourinho. Free attack role. No defensive duties.

Moura plays a more advanced version of Maicon, using pace and strength to cut inside, coupled with his turning ability, to get past defenders.

Coutinho does his thing on the left, cutting inside or going wide, using his array of tricks to buy space.

If the players come up against defenders who get used to them or can combat them well, you make them flip sides. Both are pretty ambidexterous I'm led to believe, and it would sparken things up.

And, honestly, I'm just dreaming of throwing Bessa into the mix too. You put Bessa with them two and you've got a trident for the next 10 years.

Fav. Player
    King Zanetti

My main concern is that Stramaccioni likes to have one with defensive attributes in the trident behind Milito. We've had the chance to play Coutinho - Sneijder - Palacio the two latest games, but still haven't. Zanetti or Jonathan have played there. What's the chance of Strama changing that? Cause for sure we cant have Lucas, Sneijder, Cou, Palacio and Ricky for two spots.

Old name
    browha

Europe

Im pretty sure the use of Zanetti and Jonathan were sort of enforced

You do raise a good point, but perhaps theres some aspect of trying new systems out.

Like I said, I also don't think Cou is an automatic starter yet...

Lucas Sneijder Palacio would be interesting

If Milito doesn't find form soon, it would not be unreasonable to see Palacio up front.

Like I said, the awkward thing with Palacio is that he is both a striker and a winger - but he cannot be relied on as a backup striker because you'll end up needing him on the wing for the first team. Signing Lucas solves this issue - you have two players who will both be in good competition for a starting berth but can BOTH backup Milito.

I'm fairly certain now Alvarez will go out on loan, either that or we try to convert him to a full out midfielder... which would be interesting. I dont expect it would go so well though.

Fav. Player
    Kovacic

Macau

57 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF Best Overall Poster
    I very much doubt we'll see such a set up unless we're in dire need of a goal or playing terrible teams. A midfield of Guarin and Cambiasso is not enough to sustain four attacking players on the pitch. Especially when all four of those players don't work hard to win back the ball. Lucus himself from what I've heard lacks a passing game and tends to overdribble quite often. Of course the idea in theory and on paper sounds fantastic and I would love to see it work, but I think the typical smart defenses you see in Serie A would rip us apart playing thatsystem. I might also add, that if Lucus does indeed come, it will be quite late as he'll need a holiday after the Olympics, so people should not expect much from him in the early part of the season.
    Quote Originally Posted by DM_ View Post
    Then we'll just buy the federation and create our own rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pimpin View Post
    I dont think juventus are willing to sell

Fav. Player
    Ronaldo

Kuwait

After a winger we would be lacking a midfielder. One that can pass. Either we convert Alvarez or get someone like Sahin.

If we end up getting Lucas I don't see any place for Alvarez in the attack.

Syria

10 years of FIF
    Quote Originally Posted by browha View Post
    We could form a midfield trident of Lucas Sneijder Coutinho. In doing so, you have all three fundamental things you want from attacking midfield.

Quote Originally Posted by Seyedo View Post
    After a winger we would be lacking a midfielder. One that can pass. Either we convert Alvarez or get someone like Sahin.

Omnomnom

7. Thanks (2): chipschups, Fitzy

Canada

Before we look at Lucas' qualities, let's look at the system he'd be lining up in.

First, it's pretty clear that Stramaccioni wants a fast-paced attacking team, even if we just look at today's game, that was evident. Lots of one-touch passes, always looking ahead, playing with directness, it was even evident in the way the team defended. Palacio and Milito were constantly pressing high up the field, Sneijder was getting in positions to discourage Hajduk's players from getting forward, the whole team got more involved in the press than I'm used to seeing. Of course, we must take the quality of the opposition into account, it was a fairly easy game, but even in the big games (like the Milan Derby), Stram went for an open, attacking game. In fact, I think his strategy for that Milan game will become the main blueprint for this season.

Basically, in that game, the idea was to draw Milan to one side before switching play quickly to the other. Based on the preseason indications, it seems to be the gist of what we're doing now. We build up play on the left side, Sneijder drifts there often, Nagatomo pushes up all the time, Guarin/Cambiasso/Mudingayi steps forward to keep the ball moving, Milito goes over to give them a diamond, and if Coutinho's playing then he starts on the left anyway. On the other side, Zanetti often finds himself on the right wing, ready to sneak in behind. If Jonathan's playing, he waits a bit before pushing up, Palacio runs to the right side untracked, and Guarin sometimes runs up from right-of-centre. We're missing a player to do that full-time.

This is why I think Lucas is perfect. He starts on the right wing, wandering around that awkward zone between midfield and attack, where the other team doesn't quite know who to mark him with. While Coutinho and Sneijder keep the ball (and, consequently, the other team's attention) on the left side, Lucas waits for his chance to burst forward. He suddenly makes his run, Sneijder switches the ball to him, and before the other team can react they have Lucas running at them at full speed (which is very fast) ready to do some damage. He's a good finisher, his dribbling ability is great, and he's a very direct player who doesn't waste his time trying to wow the crowd (although it does tend to happen anyway). We don't have anyone in the current squad who can play this role well, Lucas is made for it.

The issue is, as Il Maestro says, the lack of a defensively aware player in the trident. With the current team, 2 of the front 4 (Milito and Palacio) press actively and run for the team. Coutinho has talked about trying to adapt his game, Sneijder only does so on big occasions, and Lucas doesn't know what defending looks like. However, with Stramaccioni seeming to integrate pressing into our game, it may make the transition easier on the trident. That and, I expect Zanetti would play at RB to make up for Lucas' lack of defensive awareness (Coutinho at least tries to help out, so we can have Naga behind him, plus Naga's attacking ability is very important to support Cou)

As for Alvarez, I can see him competing with Coutinho on the left. I don't think he'd do well on the other side as he slows play down sooo much when he gets the ball.

Indonesia

32 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF Most Important Member
    Welcome and great 1st post

Fav. Player
    ₩$

Macedonia

6 Forum Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Handoyo View Post
    Welcome and great 1st post
    Then why dont you thank him ???
    INTERISTA 4 EVER

I dont think the formation model counts, its all about the principles and the attitude" - Stefano Pioli

11. Thanks (1): .h.

Old name
    browha

Europe

Honestly, this reminds me of a Liverpool thing.

I forget who it was exactly, but someone said that Shankly once told them that if you cant defend against 7 players with only 4, your defenders are crap.

Fav. Player
    Perisic

United States

86 FIF Special Ones
    Quote Originally Posted by I4E View Post
    Then why dont you thank him ???

I beat him the last time he Thanked another man!

14. Thanks (1): I4E

Old name
    browha

Europe

i believe forum rules indicate that you are meant to append that with 'no homo'

Fav. Player
    Mauro Icardi

Colombia

The perfect trident are these:

Sudaca Power.

17. Thanks (2): Bzzlightyear, Pajo

Fav. Player
    zamorano
    Old name
    noxxaro

Japan

Actually the strawberry twist or the watermelon one.
    Solo Internazionale 1908

19. Thanks (1): lizzard