Thread: How the youth team works

Old name
    browha

Europe

25 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF

How the youth team works

So I've written some semi-similar articles in the past, but I want to go into a bit more detail this time.

I don't promise this is all precisely how it works, but I think it's roughly there.

Players can join the youth team at ~U9. At this age, the focus is on small groups (~10 players) and developing technical skills. Roughly speaking, they will be focused on doing this for the next 4-6 years. Very little emphasis on any tactical training, or even matches, but just development.

After this level, at around U14, we start to bring in youth players from areas external to the immediate Lombardy region. We own quite a few U14 players around Italy, and this is the stage where you will see them playing at Inter. If I recall, we have people deposited at Parma, Sassulo, Chievo, among others.

At this stage, the emphasis of training changes significantly. It goes towards matches, tactics, and sorting out (more precisely) player positions and so on. This is the first stage where you will start to see players getting cut, as well. League matches start to be played at this point, and we move towards folding them into the first team for training camps and so on. This is where the players will start to really come into their own, including various youth levels for the Italian national set up.

At this stage, the competition is significantly increased. Year on year, each 'class' will receive approximately 2-3 new players - so by the time they reach Primavera, they will have at least 8 new players to each class. A proportional amount of players will also be released year-on-year - though the general trend at Inter lately has been to loan out the players who we do not have faith in making it. A good example of this is Samuele Longo, who was loaned to Genoa.

On the top youth team level, the Primavera, we end up with a simple state:

You have one 'class' of players who constitute the actual youth team. Then you have players from the class below - who are still too old for the Allievi. These players will either make up the bench for the Primavera as part of the 'development' squad (e.g. Daniel Bessa under Pea, or Bandini last season, people like Tassi this season), or they are loaned out. Alot of these loaned players go to lesser youth teams where they have the chance to play regularly, and the ones who stay will feature somewhat for the Primavera - but their main focus is development.

With restrictions on overage players, summer camps are reserved for the people who are on the edge of the first team, before being loaned out to other clubs for continuing their development in Serie B.

And thus you arrive at the state of people like Bardi, Belec. In much rarer cases, people like Obi will go straight into the first team, but the general path (Should) involve a few years of development

Old name
    browha

Europe

25 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    its worth pointing out that now we contribute something like 15-20 italy youth players, I BELIEVE but could be wrong this is significantly higher than any club.

3. Thanks (2): Ffi201zi002tlis, Inter7

Fav. Player
    FantAntonio

Lithuania

http://www.fcinter1908.it/?action=read&idnotizia=66180

there is an article in details about our youth system. it's in italian, but if anybody is interested, i could try to translate it

Fav. Player
    Gagliardini

Ecuador

Quote Originally Posted by Aurimas View Post
    http://www.fcinter1908.it/?action=read&idnotizia=66180

there is an article in details about our youth system. it's in italian, but if anybody is interested, i could try to translate it
    yes pls

Fav. Player
    FantAntonio

Lithuania

I have found, where it was taken from:

http://www.ecaeurope.com/news/eca-pu...uth-academies/

here you can a download a pdf report on youth academies in english. It is really an interesting stuff, you can compare our youth system to other european clubs.

7. Thanks (2): Earth, thatdude