Thread: Time for Andrea Stramaccioni's Inter to stand and deliver

Fav. Player
    Zanetti

England

Most Serious Member Transfer Guru

Time for Andrea Stramaccioni's Inter to stand and deliver

By Jeremy Lim

Italian clubs are nothing, if not effective. Above all, none more than Inter should know that, for it was their fearsome side of the 1960′s, led by one Helenio Herrera, that would perfect the rigid, defensive plays that became widely known as Catenaccio; literally translating to ‘door bolt’. Shutting out opponent attacks in steadfast manner, then countering at blinding speed to steal the win, the legendary Herrera led his men to back-to-back European Cup victories in ’64 and ’65, therefore entering Calcio folklore forever.

Invariably, football has come a long way since the days Giacinto Facchetti, Armando Picchi, Luis Suarez and Sandro Mazzola helped define and instate the characteristic effectiveness Italy’s top clubs were to become known for. Some things in life never change, and even today, Serie A, despite adapting and employing modern continental styles of play as European league systems matured, can still count on a penchant for pragmatic methodologies that fulfill its clubs’ primary focus when stepping onto the pitch; that of winning counting above all and everything else.

Therefore, how well does Andrea Stramaccioni’s Inter side compare against his Argentine predecessor’s, when acting on the above presumption that the overriding philosophy of Herrera’s Catenaccio, the emphasis of securing the victory at any cost, still resides in the principal nature inherent of every team in Calcio? To say the least, Il Mago, who passed away in 1997 and is posthumously recognised as Europe’s first true modern football manager, must be turning in his grave, after witnessing his former club’s latest debacles.

Helming the Nerazzurri in his first start to the season as a professional first-team coach, Stramaccioni’s stewardship initially promised much. Rekindling enthusiasm in the squad and uniting superstars such as Wesley Sneijder under a common banner with promises of a climb back into the upper echelons of Italian football dovetailed seamlessly with the stalwart signings of Antonio Cassano, Alvaro Pereira and Samir Handanovic, to name a few.

However, after overseeing a terrible home record of draws and defeats in Serie A and the Europa League, cumulating in the shock 2-0 capitulation to Siena in front of the San Siro faithful on Sunday, the magnitude of the task awaiting Stramaccioni has just began to dawn upon the 36-year-old, as his failures to secure the results despite counting on a lavishly-reinforced team become increasingly scrutinised.

The demise of Inter has manifested itself most visibly in the defence, who’s conceding of sucker-punches derived from lapses in concentration despite enjoying relative dominance suggests a more complex problem at hand than merely to do with the defensive personnel available. Despite admitting his side missed the presence of someone in Douglas Maicon’s role, Stramaccioni can still count on the likes of Matias Silvestre, the Argentine who enjoyed consecutive revelatory seasons in Serie A with Catania and Palermo, promising Andrea Ranocchia and Juan Jesus, who have exhibited the makings of a growing partnership in the centre, not to mention the streetwise veterans that are Walter Samuel and Cristian Chivu to turn to on the bench.

As the above options available go on to suggest, there is no evident dearth in quality at the back, leaving the young coach clutching on the short end of straws to account for his 3-1 defeat in early September to Zdenek Zeman’s Roma in Milan. ”We didn’t do well in that phase of the match and I think it was more of a psychological problem than a football one,” lamented the shell-shocked manager, who had just been given a lesson in tactics by his wily Czech counterpart. ”We cannot concede goals like that on home turf and then feel such a heavy psychological blowback. We have a lot to work on, because we are a new team and so must quickly turn the page.”

You have to admit, for Stramaccioni’s failings thus far, he has a point there.... Continued at Time for Andrea Stramaccioni's Inter to stand and deliver

Fav. Player
    Kovacic

Tuvalu

10 Forum Supporter
    Written by a jube fan, stopped reading after the first sentence, sorry

Fav. Player
    Zanetti

England

Do you check for the club loyalties of all journalists/writers before deciding whether to read something on a newspaper or football website?

Its a decent article, mate, read it.

Old name
    browha

Europe

25 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluenine View Post
    Do you check for the club loyalties of all journalists/writers before deciding whether to read something on a newspaper or football website?

pretty much yes. i refuse to read any susy cumdumpster crap, for example

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

Egypt

Nicest Poster
    Agree.

However, I do sometimes read the others` opinions just to study how they think. I know that their irrational hatred to us will be an undeniable force behind negative remarks toward our team or philosophy in general. But I like to study the enemy`s psychology. And so far all Ive seen from the bilan and jube journalist fans that they have serious mental problems.

Shit doesnt happen

Old name
    browha

Europe

25 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    i liked the 3 fucking juve articles within 24 hours the other day on football italia. fucking ridiculous how biased they are.

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

Egypt

Nicest Poster
    footballitalia and goal.shit are fucken freaks show, I dont even visit`em anymore. you saw that article about the new potential youngsters list on footballitalia sometime ago? it has like 8 jube unknown players in it.and notone Inter player. I was reading and totally

Shit doesnt happen

Fav. Player
    Kovacic

Tuvalu

10 Forum Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluenine View Post

Let me ask you a question.

If you're a journalist right now as an Inter fan and lets say we swap positions on the table with Juve. Meaning we're first in the league and they're not and they're struggling. Could you honestly write a non-bias article about Jube without even taking 1 sleezy shot at them???

Of course not the only people I'll articles from about Inter, are Inter fans or someone that is a fan of a team outside of Serie A.

It's in human nature to immediately be bias towards a team you dislike even the best writers in the world do it, and its blatantly obvious. The GOOD writers however admit it upfront and take their shots they want, but also come up with stats & facts to prove their claims.

Just my 50 rupies.

Fav. Player
    Zanetti

England

Quote Originally Posted by Pharaoh View Post
    Let me ask you a question.

If you're a journalist right now as an Inter fan and lets say we swap positions on the table with Juve. Meaning we're first in the league and they're not and they're struggling. Could you honestly write a non-bias article about Jube without even taking 1 sleezy shot at them???

Of course not the only people I'll articles from about Inter, are Inter fans or someone that is a fan of a team outside of Serie A.

It's in human nature to immediately be bias towards a team you dislike even the best writers in the world do it, and its blatantly obvious. The GOOD writers however admit it upfront and take their shots they want, but also come up with stats & facts to prove their claims.

Just my 50 rupies.
    When I am writing an article for general consumption at footallspeak.com, I try my level best to be completely unbiased about the team... sure, I may be biased about my opinions of whether Bojan is the best striking option for Milan, or whether Giovinco will succeed at the highest level... but if I am writing an article on the chances of Juve or Milan, I can leave my dislike for the club out of it. I have written such articles, check them out and tell me if they are biased - http://footballspeak.com/Bluenine.aspx - tell me if my article on Milan was biased, I would be very interested to know.

However, I do declare my loyalty to Inter in my profile. Same with Jeremy, who has written the above article on Inter - I think its an objective opinion of a Serie A fan, and he manages to keep his club loyalties aside (he has openly stated in his profile that he is a Juve fan). Have a read, and tell me if you think he seems to be talking about a club he dislikes - I don't see it - http://footballspeak.com/post/2012/0...ea-Strama.aspx

Susy Campanale and Carlo Garganese (goal.com) are shite writers, and clearly are incapable of being objective about anything...

10. Thanks (1): Devious