Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Player Profiles : Alfred Duncan, Ibrahim MBaye & Daniel Bessa

Old name
    browha

Europe

25 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF

Player Profiles : Alfred Duncan, Ibrahim MBaye & Daniel Bessa

So on request, I've decided to do slightly more indepth profiles on Duncan & MBaye. As you know, I've seen a reasonable amount of both of them, and got a good feel for their style of play by now.

Alfred Duncan
    Position: Defensive midfielder
    He's a bit like: Yaya Toure at Barcelona

He's a defensive midfielder, but he's by no means what people will (and on here have) assume to translate to the Muntari-esque destroyer. Duncan offers much more than that, his ability to read the game is quite impressive - much more so than the headless chicken sprinter people naively assume him to be. He's a beast in midfield, often the focal point infront of defense starting our attacks. He's got a good range of passing, as well as good vision in selecting the right pass.

The best way to describe him is a mix between Cambiasso and Thiago Motta, except not quite as technically capable. That is not to say he isn't technically capable, of course, but he's got a way to go before he reaches the level of Motta. Where Duncan does start to excel is his occasional box-to-box midfielding, and you're very likely to see him popping up at the edge of the area searching for loose rebounds to volley into the goal. Which he has done a few times, in the Primavera level.

He continues to dominate in the youth games he plays, moreso than his previous year, and his impact in the defensive phase of the midfield play can be comparable to Bessa's impact in the offensive phase.

The main areas for improvement for him, in my opinion, would be to enhance his tactical side. He's very good on the Primavera level already, but he needs to learn to translate that to the more experienced first team game. It's hard to predict how much he'll feature this coming year, as we've got alot of the more defensive midfielders, but I would like to see Duncan as an attacking midfielder. This might sound crazy, but I think playing someone like Duncan that far up to place pressure on the opponents when they get the ball back in their own defensive phase, plus his attacking attributes, mean he could be quite dangerous there when played properly in tandum with a trequartista.

Most likely to see him: Hitting a clean volley at the edge of the box
    Will never see him: Drifting out wide

Ibrahim MBaye
    Position: LB/LWB and at a push, CB
    He's a bit like: Juan Jesus / Davide Santon

The comparison here is sort of not great, but it's hard for me to tihnk of anyone immediately who he could compare to. He's a very defensively-technically capable player, with a good ability to read the game, very good at marking, tackling, and so on. Played primarily at left-back, it has been rare to see good left backs come through at Inter in the last few decades. MBaye reminds me of Santon when he first burst onto the scene, dominating anyone who appears coming down his side and closing down opportunities well. He demonstrates at time an ability to drift forward as well - something I felt he perhaps did a little too much of on his first team debut.

It's hard to predict how he will feature this coming season, as if we stick to the current 3 centre back formation, it's clear he will rarely play. He has, however, already pre-agreed a new contract for November (when he turns 18), and its clear he has some strong loyalties to the club - stating it was not even a question of money. My complaints about him are, as with most youth players, inexperience. As a technical defender, he's absolutely excellent at the moment. But what he needs to work on, are things like tactical naivety and knowing when to go forward and when not to.

The one big red flag to mention with regards to MBaye, however, is his tenancy for getting wound up easily. In 3 consecutive finals (Primavera scudetto, NextGen, Primavera Supercoppa) he either recieved a red card, or risked one. In the NextGen final, he was given a straight red card in the first half for stamping an Ajax player, leaving Inter to play over 90 minutes of football with 10 men. In the Primavera final, a slight scuffle occurred at one point, and MBaye was quick to run the length of the pitch to get involved and start shoving people. Now I could not be 100% certain, but I thought I saw him throw a punch in that event as well. Either way, doing quite that to get involved (rather than calm down the event) is something he should not have done. Then, in the Primavera Supercoppa, he was given a straight red again (perhaps harshly) for elbowing.

The lessons are there, and they need to be learned, he's been given plenty of warning now - but as he's only 17, I wouldn't worry about it too much yet. I have confidence that over the next couple of years, this spell will abate in him.

Most likely to see him: Stopping everything coming down his side
    Will never see him: Taking on and beating a player whilst roaming forward

Daniel Bessa
    He's a bit like: Andres Iniesta
    Position: Roaming attacking midfielder

The Iniesta comment is not unjust - Barcelona apparently have been chasing this player in the last year or so. He's got phenomenal vision, the range of passing skills that would fit him in at Barcelona, and he's delivered consistently for Inter. He's scored a large number of goals, leading even Longo in the goalscoring charts, with a large number of goals from set-pieces as well as a range sniper. Combined between assists and goals, Bessa was probably responsible for 80% of the Primavera goals last year. I can not wait until he breaks out for the first team, I've been dreaming of the potential Bessa-Coutinho link up. If we revert to a Mourinho-style 4-2-3-1, I'd love to see:

Coutinho-Bessa-Alvarez

Indeed I was in favour of signing Lucas Moura, and I would have loved to have seen Coutinho Bessa Moura, as I feel that trident has the full attacking range that you require. In Moura we would have had a quick player, with the speed and technical capability to directly take players on, Bessa with world class vision and passing, allowing Inter to have fluid attacking play, and in Coutinho someone with a nice mixture of the two attributes.

My criticism of Bessa is that when the game gets a bit more physical, or when he gets more isolated, he quickly gets removed from the game. When isolated, he has a tenancy to drift significantly and roam trying to seek the ball, and lose tactical discipline.

Most likely to see him: With his back to the goal looking for a through ball to make
    Will never see him: Backtracking for defensive duties past the half-way line

I must say, though, between the three players above, and the players I commented on in the other article, the future is bright for Inter.

Fav. Player
    JZ4

Argentina

Great article. Can wait for
    -----Palacio--------
    Cou-Bessa-Alvarez

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

Egypt

Nicest Poster
    So would this be a great team in 2017?

------------------Handa-----------------
    Naga--------Rannochia-Juan--------Mbay
    ----------Duncan---------Obi-----------
    ------------------Daniel----------------
    ----Longo-------------------Coutinho---
    ------------------Livaja----------------

I think it`d be GOOD enough.

Though Im sure we`ll be having like 3-4 older players with great experience by then too. we could buy one or two excellent players in future. not to mention that JZ could still be playing in 2017 :excitedeyes:

Shit doesnt happen

Old name
    browha

Europe

well as a point of being pedantic, we're far more likely to play longo upfront and livaja on the wing.

I dont currently see Obi making the step into a top class starter for Inter. He's a good rotation player but I've yet to see that little 'extra' to imply he could manage a regular first team position.

I'm personally not convinced by Naga at the moment either, I think bearing in mind he'll be 31 by then, I wouldnt be so confident

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

Egypt

Nicest Poster
    Naga might get more exp and grow more mature by then, I dont rate him so high either but Im hopeful. or might be one of the future purchases a full back so Im not worried.

Point is, as long as you have 3-4 players atleast on that team that we are confident that they`re gona rock in the future (well unless they die or get a bad injury that well affect their performance God forbids) and these players are starting to take a major part already from now.. then I think in comparison to the top teams in Europe who have financial issues. and also specially to our rivals. we are so lucky, we are actually more than great.

Shit doesnt happen

Old name
    browha

Europe

well, in your line up, i have a lot of faith in most of those players. Where we worry is if Duncan, Bessa, or Livaja don't make another step up this season - whether it is out on loan or at Inter. MBaye has plenty of time still.

Fav. Player
    Sergio Aguero!

Macedonia

10 years of FIF
    Even if Obi DOES step up, i dont think he can play as one of the two DMs in 4-2-3-1 formation.

I'm also not sure about Longo on the wing and Livaja as CF. If something, they should change places.
    "This wonderful night will give us the colours for our crest: black and blue against a backdrop of gold stars. It will be called Internazionale, because we are brothers of the world."

Derby d'Italia, why the rivalry?
    My message to JuBe cunts

Old name
    browha

Europe

I have to say, in 4 years time, I'd love to see:

Handanovic

.....Benedetti/Caldirola Ranocchia Jesus

Nagatomo Benassi Duncan MBaye
    .. Olsen

.. Livaja
    . Longo

---------- Post added at 13:49 ---------- Previous post was at 13:44 ----------

as a side note, just to emphasis how highly we rate benassi, when was the last time we renewed a youth player and announced it on the website? I cant think of a case in recent history

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

Egypt

Nicest Poster
    Longo would be great as a CF, but the few times Ive seen him play Ive got the impression that he can be like a small mans Balotelli. making the dribbles on the wings and making assists.

Shit doesnt happen

Old name
    browha

Europe

he's better when the ball is played to his feet. you're right that he can do that, but he makes a very good centre forward. I much prefer having him up front, and using someone like Livaja who is capable of taking a man on and getting space drifting in on the wing.

It was something that impressed me about the Primavera, tbh, watching the Romano-Longo-Livaja trident with Bessa setting them up.

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

Egypt

Nicest Poster

Shit doesnt happen

Old name
    browha

Europe

I would actually go so far as to say that the way the Primavera last season shaped up was completely Mourinho-esque. You watch them play, and you feel they could have taken on anyone in the world and won. The backs-to-the-walls job against Sporting was perfectly reminiscient of us in Barca under Mourinho, it was an absolutely top class side.

Fav. Player
    Il Capitano

Bosnia Herzegovina

38 Forum Supporter
    Great article browha thanks
    It would be great if you (or someone) could write something about Romano

Fav. Player
    Alvaro "el

Indonesia

i think the crucial steps is on 2014 as second step
    this year we already pass the first step
    we had coutinho, rano, juan, obi, livaja who already become a regular first team player
    next one-two year, our old player run they contract such as capitano, cambi, milito, deki, chivu, samuel, maybe cassano and palacio
    and based on our squad now, we already have a bunch of matured player who probably become our integral part in future'
    lets say, handanovic, guarin, gargano, pereira, maybe nagatomo

Cassano Palacio
    Coutinho
    Obi Gargano Guarin
    Pereira Juan Ranocchia Nagatomo
    handanovic

subs : bardi, caldirola, benedetti, mbaye, faraoni, benassi, duncan, romano, bessa, olsen, garritano, longo, livaja

if we didnt bring more mature player, i think its great for our youngster
    we still have a lot room for they growth
    ==
    talk about benassi, he clearly have unique characteristic which we badly need even for first team
    cant wait to see him in next two years,,
    ‘Whoever doesn’t love El Chino doesn’t love football!’

jonikemot ---------> chipschups
    Quote Originally Posted by francesco View Post
    Why criticize like he was the worst player in the team?
    either people are having a high standard for inter or they just racist

Old name
    browha

Europe

I posted some info on benassi in my other article I wrote that day Just look in this section and you'll find it.

Fav. Player
    Alvaro "el

Indonesia

I already read that,, that was a great stuff mate,,
    hope you write about our young defender too,,
    maybe is harder to see defender potential than midfield or forward player,,
    ‘Whoever doesn’t love El Chino doesn’t love football!’

jonikemot ---------> chipschups
    Quote Originally Posted by francesco View Post
    Why criticize like he was the worst player in the team?
    either people are having a high standard for inter or they just racist

Old name
    browha

Europe

Honestly, I dont think any of them are particularly good. Pasa seems interesting, MBaye is obviously covered, Donkor was double promoted but hasnt hugely impressed me yet... I dont think Bianchetti will make it, I think Bandini is very mediocre (from what I've seen so far)...

I think the Allievi B or the Beretti have some good defenders, but thats it.

United States

Best Football Poster Nicest Poster
    Wait. Daniel Bessa was chased by Barcelona?

Old name
    browha

Europe

If I recall correctly, it was in the last 6-12 months, yes.

United States

Best Football Poster Nicest Poster
    That's interesting. I'm really interested to see how he plays in the first team...if he gets a shot. I thought he looked the most mature of the youth team players in the 2011 preseason. I got a feeling he might be the next Espanyol loan.

I saw somewhere you saying Cristeg may go to Parma in January. You got the Article?