Thread: The Perennial Problem at Inter

Old name
    browha

Europe

25 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF

The Perennial Problem at Inter

So, after last night, I feel it is right I did an article on the perennial problem at Inter. Seeing people argue about what player we need, etc, is kind of shocking. Because it's really obvious.

Let us first address the problem

For many years now at Inter, infact arguably going back to when I first started supporting Inter, but certainly over the last 7 years or so (barring one season), we've had one big problem. And that is simply put. No ball playing midfielder.

Under Mancini, 3 DMs and an AMC (generally in Veron/Jimenez/Stankovic), we relied alot of individual brilliance to score goals. Mourinho in his first season reverted to such a formation after the disaster of his first attempted trident - where the wingers were too lazy and useless to track back, or offer any offensive support. Its only once we get to Mourinho season 2, with the signing of Thiago Motta, to we even begin to address this problem. Some may point to the signing of Lucio as a big impact - and an impact it did have, but it was Motta more than anything. Since then, inconsistencies, poor formations, and the sale of Motta have resulted in a regression to the style we saw more under Mancini.

Why?

Playing two, or three even, midfield destroyers is asking for trouble. We currently play as if everyone is panicked, as last night's offensives by Torino perfectly summed it up. A few members thought Gargano was superb. The truth is, far from it. The problem with midfielders is that - especially in the role of the destroyer - most of the work you look for are not things you easily get recognition for. The pressing of the opponents, the closing down of spaces, tracking runs. It's easy not to put a foot wrong when you don't bother to try to do any of those things. Our midfield was consistently passed through time and time again against Torino. So much so that we would have literally made no difference if we had taken off the midfield 4.

People can blame tactics, formation, the coach, etc, as much as they want. But that is the simple truth. No team in the world plays with so many destroyers, nor with such an invisible midfield. You need to slow down the opponent attacks, make them feel under pressure, or else the mistakes don't come.

Simply put, all four midfielders (or five, depending how you count it really) were utterly pathetic. I would honestly hope to see none of them in an Inter shirt again, especially not in midfield. They offered nothing defensively, nothing offensively, and very poor in possession too.

Which leads us to the problem, and its solution. Look at the impact one Marco Benassi had in the midfield on his debut. The entire shape changes. The team feel confident of retaining the ball when attacking, which means you can afford to throw more than one player into the box. Everything is different. You need a ball playing midfielder - not necessarily a director, or a playmaker, but someone who is confident on the ball, can collect it from deep, and will complete most of his passes. They generally team up perfectly alongside a more classical destroyer - the Cambiasso & Motta duo showed us this well. Pirlo & Gattuso do, too. Makelele & Zidane, take your pick. The partnership is exactly that. A classic one.

The destroyer needs only complete a short simple pass to the regista, who can then direct and shape the team from there. Until we address this problem, we will have a nothing midfield, who turn the ball over when in possession, who negatively affect our counter attacking, and shape the team up badly.

You might now be tempted to ask, "Well, what does a regista have to do with our defensive phase?"... It's actually quite simple. When you have someone who is lethal with the up-field pass - and not someone who the opponents can rely on passing it straight to their keeper, or out of bounds - you have to be careful. Your players have to be more careful, you have to sit back a bit more, you can't commit as many people to the attack as you would like. Whilst the opponents realize we have no confidence in our midfield, they don't even bother with trying to take care of that. They know they are exclusively in control of the game until THEY lose the ball, not until WE take it from them.

One player could fix all of Inter's problems - I dont buy that the attack is as big of an issue, nor the defense.

But, sadly, this has been the story for at least 6 or 7 years now, and there are no signs of us attempting to solve it.

The other truth, of course, is that with 6 coaches in 3 seasons, over 140 million invested, and worsening performance year on year, we show no signs of delivering any real improvement. We aren't a team with a game plan, we aren't a team with the ability to impose ourselves.

Maybe its time to say, "Well, why haven't we signed a regista yet?" - and for that, you need to look far above the coach.

Fav. Player
    Zanetti

England

Most Serious Member Transfer Guru
    Exactly my point of view as well. Inter need a regista this week, even if thats the only player we sign. Paulinho can wait till summer.

Syria

10 years of FIF
    What does perennial mean?

4. Thanks (2): jmaster, Lionheart

Old name
    browha

Europe

Quote Originally Posted by snake View Post
    What does perennial mean?
    Long term, persistent, eternal

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/perennial

6. Thanks (1): Cal

Fav. Player
    Alvarez-Botta

Poland

Well, yet teams with brain, skill, vision in the midfield like Fiorentina and Roma are behind us. The only team infornt of us is Lazio. ( dont talk bout Juve- diffrent level and Napoli- relayin on Cavani). Who can be this regista-like player which can join Inter, because Paulinho is a box2box without any europe, serieA experience.

Oh, and yes, our current midfield is a caveman football, beat the shit up, full of pochers crap pathetic shit.
    --------------Milito--------------------
    -Pandev-----Sneijder-----Etoo------
    -------Motta------Cambiasso--------
    Zanetti---Samuel---Lucio---Maicon-

8. Thanks (1): snake

Old name
    browha

Europe

Quote Originally Posted by Linege View Post
    Well, yet teams with brain, skill, vision in the midfield like Fiorentina and Roma are behind us. The only team infornt of us is Lazio. ( dont talk bout Juve- diffrent level and Napoli- relayin on Cavani). Who can be this regista-like player which can join Inter, because Paulinho is a box2box without any europe, serieA experience.

Oh, and yes, our current midfield is a caveman football, beat the shit up, full of pochers crap pathetic shit.
    I dont know who I would label as the good regista.

If you ignore our 7-8 league match winning streak, culminating in the Juventus game, our league form outside of that is relegation form. The only reason we're where we are is because of one "anomaly", which currently has no signs of being repeated (To be completely honest - which is why I feel justified in being able to make this example).

Lithuania

I feel what you are trying to explain to everybody ant I completely agree with what you wrote for everyone to see. That game last night against Torino just showed how deep in trouble we are with this current roster. Having just looked at the starting 11’s of both teams before the game I expected Toro to run and consistently attack us through the flanks all game long, but what happened was that they basically had no trouble or resistance going through the middle and then your argument comes into play – What the hell is the purpose of playing these 2-3 destroyers if the other team still does whatever they want against them, but at the same time I feel we lack the personel currently to even try to do something different as well. Stankovic could sort of be that type of player but I think he is already done and would actually even make it easier for opponents to blow by our midfield if he plays, like it is with Cambiasso who is as slow as they get right now and can’t keep up with other younger and fresher midfields of other teams. The only real player that I see even close to the ball playing midfielder that we need is Benassi, but the kid is just too young to have such pressure put on him at this stage of his development, but at the same time I can live with loosing/drawing if it means grooming him for the future. And that would apply not only for him, but other players like Livaja or even Bessa, who we still have not had a chance to see in action.

I also stated this a long time ago as well when I started posting here, that this team needs to begin with the midfield and midfield only, then we can move on to discuss about the other parts of this team. I have been seeing consistent talks about that Paulinho guy, that has achieved nothing to warrant close to 10+ mln in my eyes and he will not solve any problems that we currently have. Even if we intend to play with these 2-3 destroyers for the time being, I think the tactics are all wrong. From what I saw they are consistently sitting deep ant waiting for opponents and that is just ridiculous. If you play them, then instruct them to pressure the opposition consistently as I think guys like Gargano and Mudingay have the lungs to do that. Of course it’s not only them that have to do it, it’s the team as a whole that has to pressure the opposition and in that way make them uncomfortable on the ball which will eventually lead to errors, misplaced passes and etc. You know it’s a bad situation when teams like Torino are the much better team in terms of both tactical preparation and playing style and honestly they deserved to win yesterday, I will admit that for sure. I’ll probably also try to write an article later on when I will have more time about how I vision this team playing and what tactics potentially could/should be used in the current situation with the given players available.

You browha follow and have a lot more knowledge about our primavera kids from what I have seen/read and maybe a player like Olson could be tried out as well in the first team, even though I guess that is impossible at this stage. I love when teams give chances to youngsters and build on that, but honestly speaking we have absolutely failed this so called rebuilding process and year zero so to speak. This was the chance when we could have build and set clear foundations for the future of this team, not looking at the results, but creating a system and sticking with it. Right now thought, there is no style of play or clear identity in this team, mid table teams are showing more productive football than Inter right now. Also sacrificing players like Coutinho in order to finance other transfers is just laughable and is a clear indication that the problems are much deeper than Strama and the team.

I think the pressure actually is starting to get to Strama and he is succumbing to it as probably Moratti himself has set a goal for him (bassed on the earlier lucky success that we had in the season) to reach the CL at all costs which is limiting Strama as well. In my eyes he is becoming a “YES Man” so to speak and that is not a good characteristic for a coach. I’ll leave my personal judgement till the end of the season in order to evaluate Strama and the team as a whole, but currently I will say that it is not looking pretty that’s for sure.

11. Thanks (1): victor_inter

Old name
    browha

Europe

TBH, I would love to give someone like Olsen a chance. I'd love to see Cambiasso flanked with Olsen and Benassi - if we need to give Guarin a break, and Bessa further up field.

They simply cannot be any worse. Siena is a perfect game to trial them out in, too. But, as you say, I dont think we have the balls, sadly.

It just cant fucking hurt. Let Cambiasso do the destroying, let Olsen pick up the ball and create space, let Benassi launch the counters, and let Bessa be god-like. Our defense - if Samuel is back - is actually pretty fucking good to be honest, but of course they will concede if the opponents have 80% possession and 30 chances a game. Its not the back 4/back 5/whatever's fault. Its a midfield problem.

Our problems are 99% midfield at the moment, the rest of it is small details tweaking just to fine tune the club

13. Thanks (1): Cal

Fav. Player
    Il Capitano

Bosnia Herzegovina

38 Forum Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by browha View Post
    TBH, I would love to give someone like Olsen a chance. I'd love to see Cambiasso flanked with Olsen and Benassi - if we need to give Guarin a break, and Bessa further up field.

They simply cannot be any worse. Siena is a perfect game to trial them out in, too.
    But, as you say, I dont think we have the balls, sadly.

It just cant fucking hurt. Let Cambiasso do the destroying, let Olsen pick up the ball and create space, let Benassi launch the counters, and let Bessa be god-like. Our defense - if Samuel is back - is actually pretty fucking good to be honest, but of course they will concede if the opponents have 80% possession and 30 chances a game. Its not the back 4/back 5/whatever's fault. Its a midfield problem.

Our problems are 99% midfield at the moment, the rest of it is small details tweaking just to fine tune the club
    You have no idea how I wish to see that...

Fav. Player
    Schelotto

Brazil

I just clicked to see what the word perennial was tbh....

16. Thanks (1): snake

Canada

Quote Originally Posted by browha View Post
    Never before have you said something that I've agreed so strongly with

Fix the midfield, and our defence automatically gets infinitely better, and we no longer have to play long balls to the forwards so we get better in attack too.

Now, we don't necessarily have the same ideas when it comes to fixing the midfield, but it's nice to know that we're capable of agreeing.

Fav. Player
    Kovacic

Macau

57 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF Best Overall Poster
    I, for one, knew the defintion of perennial, however, it's a word I would not have been comfortable spelling before the advent of spell-check. Thank god for spell-check

To the topic at hand. I don't think even having a ball playing midfielder would instantly solve our problems. Firstly it wouldn't negate our lack of pace. It doesn't make our strikers run off the ball more often, and it doesn't solve the fact when our one dimensional wingbacks still get put into attacking positions that they rarely have the ability to take advantage of. It should however allow us to control games somewhat better which I am of course in favour of.
    Quote Originally Posted by DM_ View Post
    Then we'll just buy the federation and create our own rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pimpin View Post
    I dont think juventus are willing to sell

19. Thanks (1): Fitzy

Fav. Player
    Ronaldo L.N.D.L

Albania

lol "Perenial"...
    I feel like the fucking dean of ESL.

21. Thanks (1): spork

Old name
    browha

Europe

I see we're setting the bar low, huh

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    I, for one, knew the defintion of perennial, however, it's a word I would not have been comfortable spelling before the advent of spell-check. Thank god for spell-check

To the topic at hand. I don't think even having a ball playing midfielder would instantly solve our problems. Firstly it wouldn't negate our lack of pace. It doesn't make our strikers run off the ball more often, and it doesn't solve the fact when our one dimensional wingbacks still get put into attacking positions that they rarely have the ability to take advantage of. It should however allow us to control games somewhat better which I am of course in favour of.

w.r.t, though

you sort of get round the pace by being good in possession, and players can make intelligent runs rather than fast ones. it might not make the strikers run off the ball more often, but it also means we dont rely on long balls to get it up to them - which is tiring, fighting for those especially when you know you will probably lose them. it also means if the wingbacks dont feel well supported, they can just feel confident in passing it back to the midfielder

i mean we're talking about the sort of guy who can just retain the ball, lay off 20 passes, 30 passes, just biding his time for the right chance to open up, and when he sees it, bam, he'll exploit it.

other parts - for example swapping forwards for hard working guys - is the sort of thing someone does to turn this side from a very good team into a top class team (think Mourinho). But first we need to have the very good team, to mold the top team.

23. Thanks (1): Fitzy

Old name
    browha

Europe

I know articles are meant to be challenging, but cmon, this is ridiculous

Fav. Player
    Il Capitano

Albania

sounds pretty perennial to me
    TI TE DOMINET MILAN

26. Thanks (1): snake

Fav. Player
    samuel etoo

Australia

Interesting read browha thanks. We dont have the calibre of players to play 3 5 2 which is why we are stugglinh so much, we need a complete midfielder like inler, hamsik etc. Those guys are the reason why napoli are doing so well although i do expect them to choke at soem point because off late they have become far too reliant o n their sole goal scoring machine cavani. I though we were going to keep our coveted starlet coutinho and play 4 3 1 2 or 4 2 3 1 with him in the hole behind the 2 strikers. But i guess strama has different ideas, we need inler type players in midfied (2 of them would help), this would relieve the pressure of Guarin as our main source of creativity. Attack at present is fine, although we do need a strong, tall CF who can hold the ball and spread play plus link up with the AM/wingbacks etc. Strong CF and a couple of ball playing midfielders, then we can destroy barca again ffs. Unfortunately we sold Coutinho, now we need a proper AM, a mobile one and atm they all cost around the 20 mil mark.

- - - Updated - - -

maybe gaston ramirez could fix our creativity problems.

Old name
    browha

Europe

in light of signing Kovacic, hopefully he fixes the problem. It looks like he should bge able to, but what we need is someone to play at MC rather than AMC, and sort out the midfield before launching attacks.

Anyway, fingers crossed.

Fav. Player
    samuel etoo

Australia

yup seems like kovacic is the real deal but then again i only watch his youtube compilation, anyone can look good in them. But i heard stories about barca and other big teams like bayern were interested in them, so maybe we made the right move (i hope). But 11 mil + 3 mil in bonuses is a lot for an 18 year old kid although douchebags PSG paid the sum corinthians asked which was somewhere around 40 mil lol. I dont understand what they saw in him that warrants such a high transfer fee, they could have easily signed someone like david silva or a similar type of recognized WC player for under 25 mil.