Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Goalkeeper Conundrum - with no obvious solution

Old name
    browha

Europe

25 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF

The Goalkeeper Conundrum - with no obvious solution

With the signing of Samir Handanovic (aged 29 this year), Inter have a real problem on their hands.

Namely, what to do in the goalkeeper department?

Firstly, a list of candidates.

Samir Handanovic - 14/07/84. Inter's current first choice keeper, and should be good for at least 5+ more years.

Francesco Bardi - 18/01/92. Inter's main young prospect, out on loan to Novara for development. Italy U-21 keeper, higher rated than Leali, almost certain to turn into a top class keeper

Vid Belec - 06/06/90. A long term regular for Crotone in the last two seasons, as first choice keeper for both of them, he poses an interesting prospect. Has not really delivered at Inter - but he hasn't had many chances. His career will be made in the next couple of seasons, where he should be loaned out for development.

Raffaele Di Gennaro - 03/10/93. Inter's goalkeeping hero from the Primavera + NextGen wins last season, 'the giraffe' is quite a highly rated, but ultimately untested, goalkeeper.

Raffaele Dalle Vedove - 28/02/94. Inter's current Primavera first choice keeper, he is solid if unspectacular in goal. He is, however, keeping out two very highly rated young keepers.

Dawid Smug - 14/01/94. A summer signing, Dawid Smug is a very highly rated young Polish keeper who came in under big fanfare, and the promise of being "predestined". Exposure this year has been limited so far, behind Dalle Vedove.

Ivica Ivusic - 01/02/95. A very highly rated young Croatian goalkeeper, who has been training with the first team for the last season. The only reason he isn't in the Primavera is the number of talented keepers already available there.

The Potential Contenders

Alessandro Mirarco - born '95. A highly rated keeper who has just spent some time on trial at Inter.

The problem should be obvious after the list. We have a lot of highly rated young players on our books - and more importantly, we have talent scouts looking for more. Bardi, the most highly rated of them, is the most interesting question. It isn't obvious how we fit Bardi into our plans with Handanovic. There is no way Inter will keep Bardi on the books for 4-5 seasons, out on loan to develop, while we wait for Handanovic to hit his prime. It simply doesn't make sense. Bardi would be 28 before he debuts for us, and that's assuming a fast decline for Handanovic being a worse player at 33. Belec, who I don't think will blossom into an Inter first choice keeper - though he might manage to be our new Orlandoni/Castellazzi - is also an issue. Further afoot, players like Smug, Ivusic, assuming they want to wait until 25 to be considered good enough for Inter (though the best keepers, such as Buffon, clearly deliver from an early age), Handanovic will still be 35. That is probably close enough to assume he wont be at Inter anymore, but you might also assume they are too young to be given first choice roles at Inter - after all, remember our recent trend of looking for proven keepers. Handanovic being 27 when he signed for Inter, Julio Cesar was 25, Toldo was 30.

It's hard to imagine any of these keepers being compatible with our current goalkeeping plans. Of course, we always need good young players. You don't pass up a talent just because - but it's important to also have a long term plan for them. We're potentially looking at selling maybe 5 good young goalkeepers in the next few years, at what will undoubtedly be much less than they are worth, and not helping them hit the full potential they might reach.

I don't know how to resolve this issue.

2. Thanks (1): Ffi201zi002tlis

Fav. Player
    Y. Nagatomo

Tenerife

We have a goalkeeping problem?

Fav. Player
    Sergio Aguero!

Macedonia

10 years of FIF
    Sell 50% of Bardi and Di Genarro, and once Handa starts to decline, get them back! Since as you say, we can't loan them out till they are 27 But we must keep Bardi somehow, and get him back in 4 years, he will be 26 by then, Handa 34, the perfect deal - for Inter.

Belec imo will never be more than average GK.
    "This wonderful night will give us the colours for our crest: black and blue against a backdrop of gold stars. It will be called Internazionale, because we are brothers of the world."

Derby d'Italia, why the rivalry?
    My message to JuBe cunts

5. Thanks (2): Ffi201zi002tlis, thatdude

Old name
    browha

Europe

No way Bardi will sit out on loan for 4 years, he'll want to establish himself long before that. He'll end up going the Viviano way, if he does.

Japan

I think we'll sell 50% of Bardi, then we can bring him back when he's 27 or 28 (if he turns good).

Fav. Player
    Sergio Aguero!

Macedonia

10 years of FIF
    Quote Originally Posted by browha View Post
    No way Bardi will sit out on loan for 4 years, he'll want to establish himself long before that. He'll end up going the Viviano way, if he does.
    Why not? It's not like 25 or 26 is bad years. Especially for a GK. That doesn't mean he'd play in Serie B all the time, send him to midtable Serie A club like Genoa (thus the 50%, so they agree and play him), and done deal. Of course it's easier said than done, but still possible.
    "This wonderful night will give us the colours for our crest: black and blue against a backdrop of gold stars. It will be called Internazionale, because we are brothers of the world."

My message to JuBe cunts

Old name
    browha

Europe

i understand, but its not good for him. it means he has to change teams quite alot. there's no stability for him there, and dual ownership means its a fuck for a big name player to move clubs - when was the last time united, chelsea, arsenal, barca, etc, signed a player who was co-owned?

Fav. Player
    Sergio Aguero!

Macedonia

10 years of FIF
    Teams outside Italy can't co-own players, just loan them, so not a valid point

And he doesn't need to change teams so often. As I said, let him play at Novara one more season, then send him to Genoa on a co-own, and get him back. He will change 2 teams, not that much tbh... Then when handa starts declining, he steps in, experienced and as first GK in Italian NT

My message to JuBe cunts

Old name
    browha

Europe

No, my point is, when was the last time a big club signed a player who was co-owned?

I cant think of a case right now. Its clear they'd rather deal with a single team than try to negotiate for two teams, etc etc.

Fav. Player
    Sergio Aguero!

Macedonia

10 years of FIF
    Oh. Well that's the point, stop the big teams getting him

My message to JuBe cunts

Old name
    browha

Europe

alternatively, no one who is co-owned for a long time (especially at older ages) can find the rhythm at a big club to develop into the players they could be.

A top class player - generally - will be owned outright by a club he's going to make his name at by 22/23, maybe a bit later.

If Bardi is changing clubs every season or two seasons from now till he's 26/27, he's not going to make it as a top class keeper.

- - - Updated - - -

I mean lets take some recent examples

Toldo made his name at Fiorentina, where he was signed outright aged 22
    Buffon I don't even need to discuss, but needless to say, he was only 23.
    Cech was 22 moving to Chelsea
    Casillas & Valdes is obvious
    Reina was 23 moving to Liverpool
    Cesar was first capped for Brazil aged 24, though you can argue he made his name really at Inter aged 26 on.
    Neuer was at Schalke aged 20 where he went to really make his name
    Hart was a regular starter for City at a younger age, but really broke through when he first started capping for England aged 21

to add a few more

Handanovic really made his breakthrough at Udinese in 07, aged 23
    Frey is obviously a young example, you might argue he did it at Inter, but realistically, it was at Parma where he really thrived, aged 21.

Fav. Player
    Sergio Aguero!

Macedonia

10 years of FIF
    I know, but as i said, it's not like 25 is old. Bare in mind Bardi is only 21. There's still time, even if he comes when he is 25-26. For a GK that's nothing, eve tho i get what you mean.

I anyway doubt he will go to a big team in the next 3 seasons or so, what big team needs young GK? None i guess...

My message to JuBe cunts

Old name
    browha

Europe

Hugo Lloris made his name at Lyon, aged 22... Mandanda @ Marseille aged 22... yes I'm starting to run out of names now..

Well, my point is that at aged 25 it looks more like going the Viviano way. What a top keeper needs is stability. Moving around year-on-year to different clubs isn't going to help anyone.
    I wouldn't be entirely surprised if we sold Bardi in the next 18 months, to be honest. Either that, or, we need to, as you say, get him to Genoa or something so he can claim the spot for his own. If he can claim his position in a Serie A side for the next 2 seasons, then it gets even more interesting, and to be honest, even more likely we will sell.

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

Egypt

Nicest Poster
    This is a serious problem tbh, it`s like a rich spoiled brat that dont know how to spend his father`s millions.

Shit doesnt happen

17. Thanks (1): Adriano@10

Fav. Player
    Francesco Toldo

Indonesia

in my opinion we need to sell our prospect in gk position unless we trust him enough like those names in the list

it's not like 19 years old juan, who can be paired with 34 years old samuel as his mentor, if juan fuck up there is samuel who can give advice or saves his ass
    gk cannot be paired because there is only 1 gk in position in starting 11 and you need to put the best you have, the one that you and the whole team trust

our gk composition since early 2000 always something like this
    first gk : a main gk in his prime age (think toldo, cesar, handanovic) that we bought from other teams
    second gk: old gk, first choice in mediocre serie a or top serie b team (think fontana, toldo, castelazzi)
    third, fourth, fifth etc: young gk from our primavera (think moreau, nathan coe, cordaz, villanova, tornaghi, belec, di gennaro) with exception of orlandoni

we once tried to trust young frey as first gk but we didn't trust him enough and decided to buy toldo in his prime
    we tried gk in his prime as our second gk, carini, but you saw what happened

just sell those young gks if we don't have plan to use it
    let them have their own career rather than sit in our bench:
    frey plays for middle table teams like parma, genoa or fio
    moreau is main gk in varese
    nathan coe is main gk in his team in australian a league and has played 3 times for senior national team

rather than developing a gk let's just buy gk in prime age as our main gk, gk is not that expensive
    second gk is very cheap, buy a old first gk from mediocre or relegated serie a team
    third gk, well those primavera, they can play in primavera and have their name in inter website before we sell them

anyway rather than carizzo as our second gk, I'd prefer the 42 years old antonioli, this man gives some comfort rather than carizzo
    Last edited by francesco; 08 Feb 13 at 19:57.

Indonesia

32 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF Most Important Member
    Dat moment when you realize that Handanovic is close to 30
    Den realize that he's 1984
    And I'm 1985
    Which means I'm almost 30 too

Old name
    browha

Europe

Quote Originally Posted by Devious View Post
    This is a serious problem tbh, it`s like a rich spoiled brat that dont know how to spend his father`s millions.
    there is an element of that, but at the same time, we have to be careful how we handle this. fucking this up could ruin 5-6 young highly rated keepers' careers. doing this well could see inter have a top keeper for 10 years.

21. Thanks (1): Dylan

United States

Dawid Smug??
    Whatta name.

But, what goalie conundrum you're moaning about? I see no problems in the long term because Inter has a wide range of goalie to choose for that. So, I'm confused...

Old name
    browha

Europe

The problem is that its ambigious right now.

With Handanovic, we dont need a keeper for, really, at least 5 years. Bardi will be 26/27 by then, so what do we do with Bardi? He wont want to be out on loan until he's 26, on the off-chance Handanovic is over by 33.

My point is that the conundrum seems to be that we don't have a really clear plan for the keeper situation right now. Handanovic is a long way off from finished (hopefully), and by then Bardi, Smug, Dalle Vedove, Di Gennaro will all be 23-25, and we need to know what we're going to do with them.

Its like having 10 good CBs at the club... its a bit of a disaster.

Fav. Player
    Francesco Toldo

Indonesia

sell them or trade them
    no good just put them in the bench or loan them in serie b club