Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inter style of play

Fav. Player
    Handanović

Israel

Inter style of play

Couldn't find a thread about it, but this subject really interest me. I wanna see what other fans are thinking about it.
    So we are well known for our hard-core defending style, never had any issues with it myself (I love counter attacking football), but now that we are out of top tier football, and cannot afford any world class players to make us title (or make that CL place) challengers, I am thinking whether we should continue playing like that.

For good counter attacking football you need good defense, and great forwards, we have neither currently. In result, we just concede a shit load of goals, and get dominated by lesser teams. Many times because we are just trying to sit back and play long balls. I am not saying possession football will ensure us better defending, but surely we won't have to be under-attack everytime we lose the ball, so often. That also comes with pressure making which we barely apply.

Many other Italian fans consider us to have small-club mentality.. mainly because we always cared for the lesser trophies aswell (Italian cup & uefa), but I think some of it is also because of our style. Like, sitting back against Bolgona at home. Being dominated by Siena.... etc.

INB4 I am being labeled as "Go support Barca if you want attractive play you gloryhunter" - I love counterattacking style as I said, but I can't see us succeeding at it with such players, so all I care for, is the best for the team.

Fav. Player
    Icardi

Poland

At the moment we have no style.

Defence, midfield, and attack are too far from each other, we lack game organization.

Most of the season it goes like:

Ranocchia/Samuel/JJ plays long ball towards Palacio/Milito, who heads up the ball to Cassano. Then he holds up the play a bit, trying to do some magic. The only players he can pass to are Palacio/Milito and Nagatomo who joins attack on the left wing. We don't have players into the box waiting for the ball. Guarin doesn't do what he does best - run into open space, instead he prefers to play his own Joga Bonito. Gargano is useless in attack. Kovacic doesn't even thinks about entering the penalty area, I don't think I've seen him there.

We make few shots after individual efforts but usually it's Inter who concede first after Gargano another missed pass or Cambiasso who forgot to come back.

Then we desperately look for the goal, finally getting it. Match ends up with a draw which gives us nothing. Sometimes we don't have time and lose the game, but Strama and Zanetti in post-match interviews are saying that we showed heart and character.

Fav. Player
    Handanović

Israel

True.. but it still reminds me of our hard-core defending style, just that we had Eto'o or Ibra back then to make a difference. We never really look to dominate the game even against smaller teams with lesser players, don't know why.

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

Egypt

Nicest Poster
    Inter`s style of play pretty much reminds me of Johny Bravo`s attempts of picking up a girl.

Shit doesnt happen

Fav. Player
    1+8, Fenomeno

Europe

We never were a team playing at 80% possession, not bursting of creativity, not playing headless attacking football.

Our style is plaing strong, defensively-minded, effectively, tranquilly, confident, and with the genes of winners. Not the childish way like Arsenal etc., we play football as men. The team playing the most italian football is the one without italians-> us.

thats one of the key problems in my eyes. Besides missing gameplans, weak individual players,... . A team with confidence and the winning genes we used to have (i'm talking about the league) would never loose a 3:1 against Atalanta. No matter if there is a stupid penalty or sth...

Old name
    browha

Europe

25 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    haf no style
    rarely plan

/thread

7. Thanks (1): Shaun

Lebanon

Well, I noticed that our style of play has improved significantly since we signed Kovacic. Kovacic can hold on to the ball, dribble it and look for an opened pass. Now we should sign a pure CAM that can communicate with Kovacic and improve our system.

Fav. Player
    Handanović

Israel

Quote Originally Posted by browha View Post
    haf no style
    rarely plan

/thread
    Just that I was talking about the past 10 years, not just now

Old name
    browha

Europe

Quote Originally Posted by interista4 View Post
    Just that I was talking about the past 10 years, not just now
    pretty much been true of the last 10 years too

Fav. Player
    Handanović

Israel

Quote Originally Posted by Bam Bam 1+8 View Post
    We never were a team playing at 80% possession, not bursting of creativity, not playing headless attacking football.

Our style is plaing strong, defensively-minded, effectively, tranquilly, confident, and with the genes of winners. Not the childish way like Arsenal etc., we play football as men. The team playing the most italian football is the one without italians-> us.

thats one of the key problems in my eyes. Besides missing gameplans, weak individual players,... . A team with confidence and the winning genes we used to have (i'm talking about the league) would never loose a 3:1 against Atalanta. No matter if there is a stupid penalty or sth...
    That childish Arsenal would probably beat us now, or 5 years ago. I know we were never aiming to dominate a game, unless the opposition were really weak, and it kinda made me question why. We had class players, and could play much better. Calling it headless attacking football is quite far... most top teams play attacking football and have the best defense in the world. Just that Arsenal are too naive, pretty bad example.

Yep we have no style now, but what about 5 or 10 years ago. That no style of ours reminds me much of those times, but maybe I don't understand football. So to the experts, instead of /ending my thread, try to answer the question, ty.

- - - Updated - - -

pretty much been true of the last 10 years too
    Thanks. So why do you think is it happening? I find it weird that nobody ever discussed it, unless I missed it. We have spent just as much as other top teams, what stops us from playing better than we have done? If it wasn't for Ibra or Mou, I really can't see us winning a scudetto tbh. And that was when freaking Roma were our runners-up. Fuck is wrong with this club?

Fav. Player
    Sergio Aguero!

Macedonia

10 years of FIF
    We don't have a style, never had one.
    "This wonderful night will give us the colours for our crest: black and blue against a backdrop of gold stars. It will be called Internazionale, because we are brothers of the world."

Derby d'Italia, why the rivalry?
    My message to JuBe cunts

Old name
    browha

Europe

why? we always relied on muscle, and individiual attacking talent. We never had a long term set up with a view to a stable playing style, or even a stable concept of the players we want. The teams formation changes week in week out, how are they meant to develop a style?

What we need is to stick to something for a few years - personally I love the 4-2-3-1 - and develop a good understanding of what that needs, and then sign players for the positions.

Traditionally we sign players to fill needs/replace previous players. We never really look at it with a strategy - until Mourinho's summer of 09.

Fav. Player
    Handanović

Israel

Quote Originally Posted by Pajo View Post
    We don't have a style, never had one.
    So what's your opinion about it? Do you like the way we have played in the last years, or would like to see a change?
    I really can't see what stops us from playing as good as other top clubs. And playing with no style may win us titles from time to time.. but let's fact it, proper football playing teams win way more often. Just take a look at other top teams.

Fav. Player
    Sergio Aguero!

Macedonia

10 years of FIF
    Well, in general we like to play counter attacking football, but you can't play one vs. the weaker teams, so we take the control. We tend to have physical rather than technical players in the midfield with great strikers, great GKs and decent defense.

I'd sum it up like this, tho we often change style with the change of manager and/or players.
    "This wonderful night will give us the colours for our crest: black and blue against a backdrop of gold stars. It will be called Internazionale, because we are brothers of the world."

Derby d'Italia, why the rivalry?
    My message to JuBe cunts

Fav. Player
    Handanović

Israel

why? we always relied on muscle, and individiual attacking talent. We never had a long term set up with a view to a stable playing style, or even a stable concept of the players we want. The teams formation changes week in week out, how are they meant to develop a style?

What we need is to stick to something for a few years - personally I love the 4-2-3-1 - and develop a good understanding of what that needs, and then sign players for the positions.

Traditionally we sign players to fill needs/replace previous players. We never really look at it with a strategy - until Mourinho's summer of 09.
    Thanks. Good post. What about the fact that we have also had quite average midfielders last decade? Zanetti and Cuchu together at mid.. Deki as AM. Now it's Guarin as AM. The only good AM we had was an injurie prone which we got rid of.

We must develop a proper playing style then, or else I can't see us winning anything big (Not counting coppa italia or EL), in the next 10 years. We cannot afford top class players anymore. We should look to hire a class proven coach and stick with him for 5 years. Regardlessof the results. Full credit should be given and he should get the players he wants if it meets our transfer budget.

Old name
    browha

Europe

Thanks. Good post. What about the fact that we have also had quite average midfielders last decade? Zanetti and Cuchu together at mid.. Deki as AM. Now it's Guarin as AM. The only good AM we had was an injurie prone which we got rid of.

We must develop a proper playing style then, or else I can't see us winning anything big (Not counting coppa italia or EL), in the next 10 years. We cannot afford top class players anymore. We should look to hire a class proven coach and stick with him for 5 years. Regardlessof the results. Full credit should be given and he should get the players he wants if it meets our transfer budget.
    and this ties back in to the idea about having a coherent plan. vieira cambiasso zanetti in CM and then Stankovic at AMC just makes me laugh.

We havent had a proper class passing midfield for a very long time at Inter. A single passing player doesnt really count, either.

Fav. Player
    Handanović

Israel

Quote Originally Posted by Pajo View Post
    Well, in general we like to play counter attacking football, but you can't play one vs. the weaker teams, so we take the control. We tend to have physical rather than technical players in the midfield with great strikers, great GKs and decent defense.

I'd sum it up like this, tho we often change style with the change of manager and/or players.
    That's the thing. Counter attacking football with such clumsy defense and midfield of ours won't work IMO, not against the smallers teams who come to defend. Then we end up barely making any chances, cause we are clueless when the opposition is sitting back. And most Italian teams will defend against us... bar in mind that we now have Palacio upfront, instead of Eto'o or Ibra. With all respect to Palacio, he cannot really build up plays by himself. Not often enough, anyway. And I doubt Icardi will be the guy for it either.

Right we often we change our style.. but it always seemed to go back to counter-attacking style to me? Unless I didn't watch or don't remember good enough, I don't see much diff.

Fav. Player
    1+8, Fenomeno

Europe

[QUOTE]
    That childish Arsenal would probably beat us now, or 5 years ago. I know we were never aiming to dominate a game, unless the opposition were really weak, and it kinda made me question why. We had class players, and could play much better. Calling it headless attacking football is quite far... most top teams play attacking football and have the best defense in the world. Just that Arsenal are too naive, pretty bad example.

Yep we have no style now, but what about 5 or 10 years ago. That no style of ours reminds me much of those times, but maybe I don't understand football. So to the experts, instead of /ending my thread, try to answer the question, ty.
    I think you got me wrong on this.

I said "childish Arsenal" to point out the difference to our style of play. What i mean is "attacking, fast, relativly uneffectiv, nice to watch for neutral visitors" football. I think that somehow fits to Arsenal over the last decade and is the opposite to our game in a long time.

To make it clearer, i could have named it classic african football as well (although europeen coaches have destroyed this today). That football was joyfull, not focused on results, fast, skillfull,etc. that is what i meantwith "childish" not judging it, rather meaning some way of playful style. And talking about the "way to play" i didn't talk about quality or level of play.

In difference our game is the adult/ mens version: hard, strong, focused on results, humorless, ... italian. This is also without judging, quite the opposite i enjoy it.

But our style of play works out as long as it is, what its essence is: successfull/ effective, what ever.

They way we play it now is not fish not meat.

That doesn't say i'm against creating and changing to a new style of play. Its just what I see, if i have to point out question " what is the inter style of play".

Fav. Player
    Zanetti

Andorra

Cant say that we ever had a particular style..surely not since i started to follow the team regularly.

But for my BPL buddies Inter has always been that team full of bad ass DMs ln the starting lineup with unforgiving defenders like Cafe/Matrix/Samuel.

Fav. Player
    Icardi

Saint Kitts Nevis Anguilla

inter are playing direct football. got the ball then go attack, loose the ball then go defense. Bonuse is Javier who suddenly run through opponent goal and people saying: Woa this guy should never retired.