Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Next Season's Formation? My Thoughts

Canada

Next Season's Formation? My Thoughts

I was about to post this in the Realistic Formation thread, but it got too long and "articly", so I'm going in the articles section. Sound good?

Anyway...

Let's get this muthafucka down, THE 2013-2014 formation, 2 signings pending. My final word, any further posts I make will be minor adjustments based on transfer news.

Squad:

Handanovic
    Carizzo
    Castelazzi/Belec

Ranocchia
    Juan
    Samuel
    Cambiasso
    Campagnaro
    Andreolli

New RB-Starting quality if Zanetti's injury really is that bad
    Zanetti
    Nagatomo
    Pereira

Obi
    Duncan
    Kovacic
    Kuzmanovic
    Guarin
    Benassi/Bessa/IDGAF

Palacio
    Cassano
    Botta
    Alvarez

Icardi
    Milito
    Starting quality CF

The Formation

Explanations:

RB: I prefer Zanetti over anyone, especially that this team could easily lack leadership without him, but if his injury is as bad as it seems, then we need someone to step in.

DM: Current options are Obi, Duncan, Cambiasso, Gargano, and Mudingayi. Cambiasso hasn't played at DM since the treble season, and while I know he's still got all the qualities he needs, mentally he just doesn't seem to want to play DM anymore, so he's out of the question (notice I moved him to CB). Gargano is a situational player, and I don't want him in the same midfield as Guarin, we just can't keep possession that way. King Gaby is still a boss, but there isn't much he offers that Duncan can't eventually offer. So it's between Duncan and Obi, I prefer Obi but his fitness levels are crap, so Duncan it is.
    Or a new signing, but I think, between Duncan and Obi (and the occasional Cambiasso appearance), we're fine. Develop someone and spend the money where we have zero options.

RWF: Botta vs. Ricky. I admittedly haven't seen enough of Botta (in fact, I'm pretty sure he never even plays at RWF), so I could very easily prefer Ricky. Having said that, he has the speed and I'm hoping he's got a better passing vision. Ricky's got the work rate and passing accuracy, but he's soooo slow with decision making and spotting a pass.

CF: Let's be real, Milito is my ideal candidate. The new player I want us to sign is essentially a durable Milito clone. His job is almost entirely about interplay and clever positioning, physical presence is important too, and I only rank his goalscoring ability in fourth place on my priority list. Maybe even fifth behind work rate.

The Plan:
    Probably pretty obvious from looking at the formation. Very attack-minded team, all about keeping the intensity high and the play fluid, dominating possession then overloading the left flank and forcing a goal in.

Kovacic and Palacio are the two keys, the team is built around Kova and designed to supply Rodrigol. Kova starts off deep to get his stamp on the ball, he keeps it circulating in the middle third, no real ambitious passes or anything (this is why I prefer Obi in DM, his passing is typically neat and simple, good for possession). Meanwhile, Naga charges down the left flank and allows Palacio inside. Palacio starts very high up, almost level with the CF, and moves laterally to get into goal scoring positions. He doesn't have to worry about dribbling too much, he can get away with 1-2ing his way into the box. Kova is tasked with moving up to combine with them (Palacio and Naga) and allowing Palacio to get into the box. Between Palacio and our intelligent CF inside the box, we have two dangerous strikers in the box and a good playmaker behind them, hopefully that'd be good enough for a goal.

Part 2, Guarin. The left flank is our danger zone, that's where our attacks originate, it's where our chief playmaker drifts off to and where the other team's focus will be. So our RB, RWF and Guarin will have a bit of space to work in on the other side. Guarin's role is simple, hang back for a while, then break forward and Hulk-Smash the shit out of everyone. RB's job is to overlap responsibly, he's got to keep the defensive line balanced (this is why I prefer Zanetti), but be able to have an impact when he does attack, especially with his crossing. RWF's job is to keep the width and play Guarin in, and of course be a threat himself when he's in space.

And what's the bench doing?
    If we want to counter mid-game, put Cassano and Icardi on. If we want to slow play down and sit on a lead, Kuzmanovic, Obi and Cambiasso. The main thing I don't have is a general-purpose switch to become more attacking and chase a goal, nothing beyond the barbaric "throw extra CF on and hope 4 da best", except maybe replacing the DM with Kuzmanovic for better ball-retention.

As for backups, most of them are pretty standard. There are at least two players for each position, and most of the defensive positions have like-for-like replacements, as well as the new CF and Milito. If Palacio is out, Icardi is the most suitable replacement, quick+good finisher+decent ability on the ball, all I need.
    The big change happens if Kovacic is out, unless Benassi is good enough to back him up (no clue, someone else ought to let me know). In that case, either Kuzmanovic and our other natural passer play alongside the DM (so Guarin is out too, and if we have Bessa in the squad then we switch to 4-2-3-1, keep the 4-3-3 with Benassi). Other option, which I personally prefer, is to keep Guarin, but switch to 3-5-2 with Cambiasso in the middle of the 3. (*insert anti 3-5-2 comment here*). Cambiasso in a back 3 allows the team to keep possession calmly, and allows the midfielders to focus more on playmaking. Without Kova's mobility in midfield, that's what you need to get the ball into Palacio's feet in the box. The WBs allow Guarin and Palacio to play unchanged roles.

BOOM. There it is. I got it out of my head.
    Last edited by wambam; 29 Apr 13 at 01:19.

Fav. Player
    Sneijder

Italy

Good post but that plan wont work with starma.

Old name
    browha

Europe

25 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    why have you got half our players running backwards?
    it reminds me of when i used to piss off my friends on FM, back when you could do the player attacking runs

RB attacking LWF, CB attacking FC, GK attacking striker position...

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

Egypt

Nicest Poster
    If Serie A likes it, then so do I.

Kudos for de effort

Shit doesnt happen

Canada

Quote Originally Posted by browha View Post
    why have you got half our players running backwards?
    it reminds me of when i used to piss off my friends on FM, back when you could do the player attacking runs

RB attacking LWF, CB attacking FC, GK attacking striker position...
    By half you mean Kovacic and Botta? Kovacic has a backwards arrow cause he often needs to be our deepest midfielder to collect the ball, Botta was because MS Paint sucks.

GK attacking striker position? Reminds me of the time a few years ago when I coached a U17 team and told the GK I'd give him $5 score a goal. He dribbled past the entire other team and got a goal. Fucking awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Devious View Post
    If Serie A likes it, then so do I.

Kudos for de effort
    Sank ye

Fav. Player
    Alvaro "el

Indonesia

quite realistic, totally agree except keeping our legend,,
    after last night and saw Capitano suffer heavy injury
    I dont wanna see the other feel that too
    is better to let them out, especially samuel, cambi, and deki,,
    we need to move on right now,, before the worst scenario happen to them too like capitano and milito,,

Quote Originally Posted by wambam View Post
    DM: Current options are Obi, Duncan, Cambiasso, Gargano, and Mudingayi. Cambiasso hasn't played at DM since the treble season, and while I know he's still got all the qualities he needs, mentally he just doesn't seem to want to play DM anymore, so he's out of the question (notice I moved him to CB).
    pretty spot on!!
    I noticed it when benitez era and more obvious at leo and ranieri era,,
    seems cambi day by day wants to be a attacking player than defensive minded one
    and suprisingly he's not that bad playing at front,, except his stamina doesnt provide him to run full 90 min
    ‘Whoever doesn’t love El Chino doesn’t love football!’

jonikemot ---------> chipschups
    Quote Originally Posted by francesco View Post
    Why criticize like he was the worst player in the team?
    either people are having a high standard for inter or they just racist

7. Thanks (1): Jimmerfr

Fav. Player
    Taribo & Kallon
    Old name
    Black Jesus

United States

3-6-1 the beast formation.
    Platano Power
    SIGN TIMO WERNER

Canada

It's a thought, I just can't figure out who among the legends could feasibly go. Milito, for me, has to stay because he's the exact type of player I want our CF to be. Even if he spends most of his time on the bench, he's still giving the attack an identity in training and influencing the other CFs.
    Samuel I've been back and forth on. He could go, but I think we'd miss his presence.
    Cambiasso is just too adaptable to let go in my opinion. His intelligence is so high, you really can play him in any position and he'll find a way to do it.
    Zanetti, when he's back, unless his injury cripples his running, would still be my first choice RB.

Basically, they're all role-models on the training ground, they provide leadership and experience and that's very valuable to me. Our injury prevention methods need improving anyway, if that's our problem then it's a problem for the whole squad, not just the "seniors".

Also, a prerequisite to most of these guys staying is that they accept lower wages that reflect their bench roles. Otherwise, they should go.

Fav. Player
    MI9
    Old name
    hansolo

Chile

you cant play with a high defensive line because ranocchia is a slow immobile fuck.

actually if you think about it, its his size that makes him a liabilty. look at thiago silva he is the best defender in the world and he is normal sized, agile and strong athlete. its defenders who are made in his mould who work the best. tall is not bad but rano is to fucking tall, he gets owned by agile players.

juan has a lot more to offer defensively then rano i believe and i wouldnt be a slight bit against selling rano's ass for good money. if we replace him with otamendi for example we could be aloot stronger in defense.

Fav. Player
    Spalletti!
    Old name
    icardiscores

Yugoslavia

91 Forum Supporter Most Pessimistic Member
    So everyone can open a thread and it stays open(don't have problems with that) except me and maybe Devious ?!

12. Thanks (1): Ffi201zi002tlis

Fav. Player
    Diego Milito

Sweden

I'd love to see this :

Handanovic

[RB] [Ranocchia/Campagnaro] [Juan/Andreolli] [Nagatomo/Pereira]

[Guarin/Gargano] [Kovacic/Benassi] [Nainggolan/Cambiasso]

[Palacio/Alvarez] [Icardi/Milito] [Gomez/Botta]

For the RB spot I really don't know what we're going to do now that Zanetti is injured, Branca&co may look to buy a top player for that spot now, whereas before they thought of bringing in a youngster who would learn with him. Anyways the names are : Jung, Peruzzi, VdW, Montoya, Van Rhijn.

Canada

Quote Originally Posted by CABEZAdFUEGO View Post
    you cant play with a high defensive line because ranocchia is a slow immobile fuck.

actually if you think about it, its his size that makes him a liabilty. look at thiago silva he is the best defender in the world and he is normal sized, agile and strong athlete. its defenders who are made in his mould who work the best. tall is not bad but rano is to fucking tall, he gets owned by agile players.

juan has a lot more to offer defensively then rano i believe and i wouldnt be a slight bit against selling rano's ass for good money. if we replace him with otamendi for example we could be aloot stronger in defense.
    I agree about Rano, he's a big risk with a high line. Usually I say that the pace of Zanetti and Juan are enough to compensate for him, now I have to wait to see who our new RB is. If he works on his concentration, then it could work. Concentration and obviously speed, we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by JJM View Post
    So everyone can open a thread and it stays open(don't have problems with that) except me and maybe Devious ?!
    I'd love to give you some sort of funny comment, but I think I'm too new to get into FIF politics. Have a number sign instead: #

Quote Originally Posted by Miles View Post
    I'd love to see this :

Handanovic

[RB] [Ranocchia/Campagnaro] [Juan/Andreolli] [Nagatomo/Pereira]

[Guarin/Gargano] [Kovacic/Benassi] [Nainggolan/Cambiasso]

[Palacio/Alvarez] [Icardi/Milito] [Gomez/Botta]

For the RB spot I really don't know what we're going to do now that Zanetti is injured, Branca&co may look to buy a top player for that spot now, whereas before they thought of bringing in a youngster who would learn with him. Anyways the names are : Jung, Peruzzi, VdW, Montoya, Van Rhijn.
    The one time I watched Jung, he looked pretty good, I haven't watched the others often enough (except vdW and I'm not down).
    Have we been linked with the Croatian RB dude or was that someone wishlisting?

The dream for me is Azpilicueta, but he's obviously not gonna come.

15. Thanks (2): JJM, spork

Fav. Player
    Taribo & Kallon
    Old name
    Black Jesus

United States

My preferred formation would be a hybrid 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 and I think we have solid players for both formations and some of the additions could help us.

------------------------------------Handanovic----------------------------------------

-------Jonathan-----------Ranocchia-------------Juan--------------------Nagatomo-----

-----------Guarin------------------Kovacic-----------------------Duncan----------------

--------------Palacio-------------Icardi----------------------Markovic------------------

This is my fave formation. I really don't care what formation we play as long as its getting the best out of our players so I'm not as adverse as some others are about the 3 in the back but I don't think our squad is at its best in that formation.

Obviously Jonathan is there until Zanetti is back and would have to battle it out with a new additions. Campagnaro has experience as a RB so maybe he can fill in, I can't believe he'll come here to be on the bench so either the plan is 3-4-3 or Juan plays LB or he plays RB but I can't see him riding the bench too much.

What ever formation they(they meaning the coach and the management) choose they better stick to the plan and target players for that formation. If they plan a 3-4-3 I'd like to see it this way:

----------------------------------Handanovic-----------------------------------

--------------Ranocchia----------Campagnaro---------------Juan----------------

----------------------------------Nainggolan/DM--------------------------------

-----------RCM---------------------Kovacic------------------Duncan-------------

-----------Palacio-----------------Icardi-------------------Gomez---------------

RM: I don't know who could fill that spot maybe we could get Isla but I doubt RuBe would help us. That Peruzzi kid from Argentina is versatile as he can play in midfield and in a back 4 so maybe we get him. I have seen him a bit but he mostly does a good job defending as I haven't seen that many crosses. May be you guys have an idea who could fill that spot.

Bench: Alvarez, Benassi, Botta, Laxalt, Jonathan, Andreoli, Chivu, Carrizo, Kuz, Cuchu

Injuries: Zanetti, Milito. They'll stay so their place in the squad will be there until they come back. Obi I don't know if we should trust him anymore and count on him being there with all his injuries. We need some depth behind Duncan or whomever ends up there so I say he stays. I don't think we could get anything of value for him right now.

Possible departures:

Guarin: He's the most glaring omission here. If they are going with 3 at the back then just try to get the most you can, if the offers are too low then keep him as shit happens sometimes. I just don't think he fits this formation as he is not a trequartista, doesn't look that great on the wings and loses the ball too much to play in midfield. In a 4-3-3 I think he fits much better so it depends what the coach wants.

Casano: There have already been winds that he might leave so thats why I did it without mentioning him. If he stays he could fight for a spot with Gomez and Icardi as Palacio gives you the flexibility of playing on the wing or as a main striker.

Wally: If they are bringing Campagnaro and Andreoli I don't see why bring him back, Chivu at least can give you some flexibility as he can play LB and CB. Wally is an absolute legend will always be remembered.

Pereira: Well it hasn't worked out. Maybe we can save face and get something for him.

Gargano: Rumors are we are not buying his card so....

Silvestre: Don't need to even mention him.

Possible other arrivals not mention above: Nico Gaitan, don't know how realistic he is but he's a wing player so I decided to go with Gomez who is more realistic and a better fit. I mention Markovic in my ideal formation and he has been mention as a possibility but I would guess it would be between him and Gomez and the latter is more realistic. Kondonbia, form the limited time I've seen him he is more in the Duncan mold than a pure DM. Real Madrid, Arsenal, City are rumored to be interested so I don't think he's all that realistic so I went with Duncan or another CM they could go for.

Some questions I have regarding the formation: Duncan is easily the least experience there but I like him and reports are they'll bring him back. I think one of the problems of this formation this year was playing full backs at the wide midfield positions(RCM/LCM) and they were out of place. I'd rather pay midfield players there with enough stamina to track back and sacrifice in defense. With Gomez and Duncan on the left they'll give you that, as for the right side it depends who fills in. Peruzzi has shown he's good defensively and Isla played RCM at Udinese and was one of the best in Serie A before moving to RuBe and losing out to the Swizz punchable face.

I know this is an exercise in futility as it takes a lot of assumptions and I'm not even a Fifa 13 coach but I wasn't doing anything of note and as I got going ideas popped in my head. What I know is that this will be a hard summer and hopefully the right decisions are made. If the current management(Branca and co.) stays in place I hope they have a plan, stick to it and not wait for the last week of the mercato to trow a team together. They don't need to spend 100 million they just need to be smart and have coherent ideas. I hope not to read that Branca is on vacation in the middle of the mercato.
    Platano Power
    SIGN TIMO WERNER

17. Thanks (1): wambam

Fav. Player
    Gagliardini

Ecuador

809, Ive seen Peruzzi, but hes never played in midfield from the 5-6 games I have seen, also the offensive contribution he would have to provide in that position would be null. Kid is either very shy or can't cross at all. But that being said, he does provide passing options up front as he is very lively and wants to get involved, but as I said dont expect many crosses from him. That being said, he is very solid defender. Doesnt look like a kid when defending. He needs to work a bit in his positioning and strenght.

I think if he develops the right way, he could(!) be good for us. But pressure will be huge as he will be seen as Capitano's heir. I don't know if he could handle that.

19. Thanks (1): spork

Fav. Player
    Taribo & Kallon
    Old name
    Black Jesus

United States

Yeah his main position is RB but I've seen him at RM/winger. When Augusto Fernández left Velez he played there a couple of games but you are right his main position is RB. Thankfully I'm not the only one that hasn't seen him cross. One thing that could be a factor is that Velez really don't play that way so maybe that affects things but you would think you could see him cross at least once or twice.

Yes replacing Zanetti could be too big for him but they need to find someone to fill in, they can't go too long with Jonathan there. Might as well bring someone who is at least solid defensively.
    Platano Power
    SIGN TIMO WERNER

Fav. Player
    Alvaro "el

Indonesia

Quote Originally Posted by wambam View Post
    It's a thought, I just can't figure out who among the legends could feasibly go. Milito, for me, has to stay because he's the exact type of player I want our CF to be. Even if he spends most of his time on the bench, he's still giving the attack an identity in training and influencing the other CFs.
    Samuel I've been back and forth on. He could go, but I think we'd miss his presence.
    I would considering milito if he wants to take a pay cut,,
    have a experienced striker very rare nowadays,,,
    especially if we look what milito did this season,, we almost win all match if he play,,

Quote Originally Posted by Earth View Post
    809, Ive seen Peruzzi, but hes never played in midfield from the 5-6 games I have seen, also the offensive contribution he would have to provide in that position would be null. Kid is either very shy or can't cross at all. But that being said, he does provide passing options up front as he is very lively and wants to get involved, but as I said dont expect many crosses from him. That being said, he is very solid defender. Doesnt look like a kid when defending. He needs to work a bit in his positioning and strenght.

I think if he develops the right way, he could(!) be good for us. But pressure will be huge as he will be seen as Capitano's heir. I don't know if he could handle that.
    based on some people who watch argentinian football,,
    I get some comment like that too, he's more defending fullback than attacking one,
    one of his nickname was what,, neymar killer :dino:
    ‘Whoever doesn’t love El Chino doesn’t love football!’

jonikemot ---------> chipschups
    Quote Originally Posted by francesco View Post
    Why criticize like he was the worst player in the team?
    either people are having a high standard for inter or they just racist

Canada

Oh no, I'm buying into the hype now and getting excited about Peruzzi. I've held off for so long...

This doesn't help either (great site btw, very useful resource when you quickly want to scout a player). If he's good defensively but still willing to join the attack, that's perfect.

Now, with all the Papu and Markovic rumours running around, I probably have to tweak the lineup a bit.

Wallace
    Fav. Player
    Wallace
    Old name
    Wallace

Brazil

88 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    ----------------Handanovic
    ------Ranocchia-Campagnaro-Samuel
    -Schelotto--Kovacic---Dunecan--Nagatomo
    ------------Botta------Cassano
    ---------------Icardi/Palacio

Injection of a couple more youth players, won't be too different to this season's style.

Sit fairly deep and contain the opponent, and we attack mainly via counter.

Fav. Player
    Spalletti!
    Old name
    icardiscores

Yugoslavia

91 Forum Supporter Most Pessimistic Member
    So we are hunting

RB's: Peruzzi, Montoya,Vrsaljko...replacing Zanetti but Campagnaro is a pretty awesome RB as well(yes I have seen a lot of him)
    DM's: Luiz Gustavo,Kondogbia,Fernando...replacing Gargano hopefully
    CM's: Nainggolan,Kone,Paulinho...replacing Cuchu
    wingers:Markovic,Gomez,Diamanti...replacing Cassano

seems about right...

I don't think we gonna get a world class striker with no CL and Milito,Icardi,Palacio will have to do for now

I would like to see:

----------Handa
    Peruzzi/JZ-Frog-J.Jesus-Nagatomo
    Nainggolan-Luiz Gustavo-Kova or Guarin-Kova-Nainggolan but no one is a real DM there...
    Palacio/Alvarez---Icardi/Milito--Markovic/Botta

Handa stays!
    Peruzzi is the easiest to get imho,Frog,JJ and Nagatomo are a sure thing
    I like Luiz Gustavo...Kondogbia is Real bound and I don't want to buy from Porto anymore
    Nainggolan for the CM pos. no question with Kova on the other side
    Markovic because he has a bright future me thinks with Palacio on the right
    Icardi or Milito as the starting center forward

Guarin could be a super sub like in the first game against Rube

NEW SQUAD:

GK: Handanovic,Carrizo,Belec
    RB: J.Z,Peruzzi,Jonathan
    CB:Ranocchia,Juan Jesus,Campagnaro,Andreolli
    LB:Nagatomo,Pereira
    DM:Luiz Gustavo,Duncan
    CM:Kovacic,Kuzmanovic,Nainggolan,Guarin,Obi,Benass i,Laxalt
    RF: Palacio,Alvarez
    LF:Markovic,Botta
    ST:Milito,Icardi,Longo

LOAN OUT/co-own: Di Gennaro,Bardi,Mbaye,Biraghi,Pasa,Livaja...

OUT: Stankovic,Silvestre,Schelotto,Castellazzi,Mudingay i,Rocchi,Gargano,Samuel,Chivu,Cassano

Although Chivu,Schelotto,Gargano could actually stay :genius:
    Cassano is forced out as is Samuel :genius:

Not sure about Cuchu if we get Nainggolan...
    Last edited by JJM; 30 Apr 13 at 12:37.

Fav. Player
    Kovacic

Macau

57 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF Best Overall Poster
    I don't want to see three at the back unless we have at least one wingback who are good in possession. Nagatomo can beat a man and can make a good overlapping run but keeping possession or building play isn't a strong suit of his. As for the rest of our wingbacks it's better left unsaid.

Anyway, I feel playing 3 at the back with our wingbacks basically just mean's playing 5 at the back with two defenders out of position and therefore makes it too difficult to ever control play. We cannot just play on the counter all season like Wallace suggests unless we end up buying a world class striker to carry the team.
    Quote Originally Posted by DM_ View Post
    Then we'll just buy the federation and create our own rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pimpin View Post
    I dont think juventus are willing to sell