Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: Next year PART 1: Squad Analysis

  1. #1
    pencilpal's Avatar
    Join Date
    12 Apr 13
    Posts
    2,104
    Thanked
    1,406 times
    Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

    Fiji

    Next year PART 1: Squad Analysis

    Hello, everybody!

    This is a fairly long post, as is its continuation in part 2.

    If you don’t want to read an essay on player selection, just go to Part 2, because formations are really more important and it’s much shorter.

    I’ve divided this writeup into 4 predictable sections: goalkeepers, defenders, midfielders, and attackers. Feel free to just skip to any of the sections themselves.

    I am pretty new to this forum, which can be easily pointed out by my join date, so I hope not to incur the wrath of this community and experience it in all its brutality at such a tender age. Please be kind in your responses.

    This two part series is basically going to be about who should leave, who should stay, and the possible formations with the current set of players. It'll also highlight positions that we need to fill, and will hopefully be a good piece of commentary regarding our squad. In Part Two there'll be some analysis regarding the formations we could use with the squad.

    Before I go into the post, I want to stress that this plan prioritizes youth significantly, because such a mentality is crucial to the rebirth of a new generation of silverware for Inter.

    Alright, let’s begin.

    Goalkeepers

    Handanovic is doing a great job. Lets all be honest here; he's dealt with some very poor defensive strategies that have almost always resulted in a legendary save. He'll be at our club for the foreseeable future.

    That is to say, we need a strong backup. Someone that is able to go on the field and deliver a top performance for perhaps a Coppa Italia game or a qualifier for the Champions/Europa League. Also, another club (namely Barca) may steal him away, so we need someone to be able to fill his place.

    Castellazzi or Carrizo are in no way comparable to Handanovic; they're old and very injury prone, additionally not possessing the best technique. Castellazzi should be let go immediately; considering Carrizo’s meager salary, on the other hand, he can be the third or fourth goalkeeper because it is important to also realize that we need present 3 permanent backup goalkeepers.

    Belec has far too little experience in Serie A, and requires a loan to a team in the lower half of the standings, such as Parma or Chievo. He has a very bright future, but isn't getting chances to prove his worth in a professional league.

    Bardi should stay in Novara next year because he's doing well and developing brilliantly, having retained a starting spot on the Italy national u-21 team. Of course, when Handa starts to decline (in approx. 5 years), we can bring him back to Inter to play.

    Next season, however, I'd say we should get a loan for a young talented goalkeeper in the league that has shown moments of mastery this year with his team as our second goalkeeper. Mattia Perin would be imho a wonderful one year transfer, and easily negotiable because his parent club is Genoa, which, as most of you may know, has a very strong relationship with Inter. It's also worth pointing out his performances vs Fiorentina in particular, where his saves sealed a 2-0 victory for Pescara. If Perin delivers extraordinarily well next year, assuming he joins Inter this summer, we can value him versus Bardi for the starting spot once Handa declines.

    Rafaelle Di Gennaro needs to be loaned out next year to a lower Serie A club as well, perhaps to a promoted Serie B team; he is very talented but has remained untested this year.

    Simply put, Di Gennaro needs minutes. If however, he proves that he can play professionally as well as he did with the Primavera, we can sell Perin, and then bring Di Gennaro back for a return to Inter as a backup. In the years to come, when Handanovic declines or is sold, we could end up selling Di Gennaro or Bardi to cash in if they both prove to be capable keepers (Inter has a lot of backups).

    The current Primavera goalkeeper Raffaele Dalle Vedove could train next year with the first team while playing with the Primavera, maybe starting some matches particularly when Handanovic is rested. He will become our third goalkeeper because of the abundance of possible starters.

    Next season it would be nice to see a goalkeeping roster like:

    1. Handanovic
    2. Perin
    3. Dalle Vedove
    4. Carrizo

    When Handanovic declines, we could see something like:

    1. Bardi
    2. Di Gennaro
    3. Dalle Vedove or another goalkeeper if we eventually sell him

    Or alternatively if Bardi is a flop:

    1. Di Gennaro
    2. Perin
    3. Dalle Vedove or another goalkeeper if we eventually sell him

    Of course Perin could be the starting goalkeeper in this roster depending on how Di Gennaro plays.

    And finally when either Perin and Bardi/Di Gennaro are sold:

    1. Bardi/Di Gennaro
    2. Belec
    3. Dalle Vedove or another goalkeeper if we eventually sell him

    This roster assumes that Belec is better than Dalle Vedove at this point; if not, then their positions would be switched.

    Belec could also eventually leave for some starting action; if he does, we’ll go with the third potential roster, but I think that regardless the third is the strongest roster.

    Belec can fill the role of the backup goalkeeper in the future, able to go onto the field any time and deliver. Of course, we could sell Belec and then keep Dalle Vedove as the second goalkeeper in the fourth potential roster, which seems like the more likely roster out of all the four.

    Many of these potential rosters have multiple talented goalkeepers; it’s important that in the future years Inter properly alternates their goalkeepers between games (with the relative importance of the match the deciding factor in who starts).

    That sorts out the goalkeeping selection for many years to come.

    Defenders

    Although Zanetti has been typically playing in midfield lately, he should play as a RB/LB substitute. Generally he hasn't been offering the same attacking charisma he gave some years back, playing a mainly defensive game in the midfield, so when Inter wants to focus our resources on the defence, they can substitute an attacking fullback with Zanetti who will purely defend closer to the goal. However, he has just gotten injured with a serious muscular tear, so we need to be prepared for the worst.

    We need more fullbacks.

    Gino Peruzzi is allegedly coming to Inter, and from what I have seen of his playing in Youtube videos is that he is skilled defensively and a great buy, with many claiming him to be THE successor of our very own Javier Zanetti. I feel he can occupy the rightback position quite well.

    Nonetheless, Peruzzi needs to defensively adapt to Serie A and develop his attacking repertoire. Certainly he should be a starter next year though. I'm not concerned about whether or not he'll eventually deliver because he's given some very memorable performances with Velez Sarsfield in Argentina, and I feel he’ll succeed.

    Other then Peruzzi, Zanetti and Jonathan can play as a rightback. I already talked about Zanetti’s qualities; Jonathan is quite poor defensively, however playing a very powerful, offensive game. Lately he’s been doing the latter quite well, so I think he should stay. Depending on the formation he may start, but imo for the majority of next year he should be a substitute, only coming onto the field when we need more rigor in the attack, when the coach is willing to sacrifice a part of the defense for the attack.

    That being said, there should be a proper backup to Peruzzi; Inter should alternate players from time to time to prevent injuries. Santon is an ideal player for this role, and because Newcastle are on the brink of relegation it wouldn’t be too hard to negotiate.

    Nagatomo and Alvaro Pereira have generally occupied the left back position this season. I don’t think we should even talk about Pereira; lets ignore him altogether because he has to leave this club one way or another bearing in mind his appalling performances. Naga, on the other hand, is atrocious defensively speaking; regardless of anything he may provide going forward. He should stay as a substitute in the situation that we want to seriously focus our resources on the attack to try and make a goal in the time remaining in the game, having an opposite role to Zanetti as a RB substitutes in my plan.

    We need a left back that is able to defend very well, and can offer something up front; I think M’baye would be able to fill that role in time, especially because he’s only 18. I don’t have a concern with him starting at such a young age, because of the precedent of (e.g.) Jetro Willems of PSV Eindhoven, an 18 years old Dutch left back who’s been starting in most of PSV’s games, even starring in the senior Netherlands national team.

    Inter needs to find another capable and left back defensively and offensively balanced that is able to alternate regularly with M’baye; in the time being, if we don’t manage to secure the services of such a player, Nagatomo can fill in that position.

    Some suggestions would be Bastian Oczipa of Eintracht Frankfurt or Erik Pieters of PSV. I would really prefer Martin Caceres or Juan Cuadrado but likely Juve and Fiorentina respectively would not be willing to let go.

    Cristiano Biraghi will fill the LB role excellently in the 2014/2015 season imo. He’s done very well with Citadella this season, and it’s worth pointing out his performances against Sassuolo, as well as his goal against Manchester City a few years back. Biraghi is, however, still a bit raw. Nevertheless, if we don’t get another LB in the summer mercato, it would be helpful to have him here at Inter next year; in the case that he barely plays in the first half of the season, then we can simply loan him out to a team in the lower half of the Serie A standings for the rest of the year.

    Realistically, the best option is to just get a strong LB on loan, and let Biraghi develop next season in perhaps a newly promoted team. Andrea Bandini (LB), current captain of the primavera, can also occasionally star in the first team for certain matches in namely Coppa Italia and Serie A games as a substitute while continuing to be a part of the u-19 squad.

    Our last game against Palermo should be the final piece of proof that Matias Silvestre is a terrible defender. Inter MUST abandon the supposed gentlemen’s agreement, and remember when we were cruelly denied the services of Argentine sensation Javier Pastore at the hands of Zamparini. He really cannot stay.

    If he does… :fu:

    Ranocchia and Juan Jesus are clearly talented players, despite some of Rano’s questionable performances of late. Especially in the first half of the season, they delivered quite well together. Both of them have the capacity to be world class CBs.

    Competition from Campagnaro and Andreolli, both coming to the San Siro next year, will only make Rano and JJ motivated to train and work harder. Campa and Andreolli are also very strong backups, giving Inter the option to alternate defenders between Coppa Italia and Serie A matches to prevent injuries.

    Now, let’s talk about the rest of our defenders. Chivu and Samuel are both old, and while El Muro still can give a solid performance, he’s much more injury prone and inconsistent due to his age. Also, Chivu’s salary is outrageous considering how he’s played lately. In the spirit of the youth project, should we really be playing Samuel when we can give that starting spot to a younger player with more potential? The answer hurts but it’s frankly quite obvious.

    While some of the readers will think that Alvaro Pereira hasn’t still fulfilled his potential, we need to be honest and realistic. Mauro Zarate certainly didn’t fill his potential for the majority of last year, and yet we kicked him out because he simply wasn’t consistent. Pereira is only consistent in his current mediocrity; I’m indifferent to whether or not he stays, but he certainly shouldn’t be starting. Imho he should just leave.

    With all this offloading, it’s clear that Inter will need more center backs. I would personally suggest recalling Bianchetti and Rigione from loans to be able to fill in for any injured or suspended defenders next year. In fact, the latter is 23, which is quite an old age to be on a development loan.

    Midfielders

    Ricardo Alvarez should stay. He was always destined to be a late bloomer, and it is highly probable that his form will only get better from here. Clearly he should be played in an advanced position like in our games against Atalanta and Roma where Alvarez scored and contributed greatly to our play.

    Cambiasso shouldn’t play at this point. A lot of people have pointed out how he hasn’t been looking the same since the treble clearly because of his current mindset, and I couldn’t agree more. We should bring back Crisetig and Duncan, both DMs (with different respective styles), who together can fill the void left by his absence from the starting lineups. Regardless of his legendary qualities and the occasional demonstration of pure defensive skill and football intelligence, we need to move on because when a player isn’t confident and eager to play, he simply won’t play. Also the importance of prioritizing the youth initiative is a very powerful argument to this decision.

    Obviously Kovacic stays; he MUST start more. Same goes with Benassi. However, I think that youngsters like Simone Pasa and Niccola Belloni should be loaned out to Serie B in the January mercato depending on the minutes they receive as part of the first team and their overall performances in the first half of the season.

    Stankovic has a massive salary and yet he barely is on the pitch; his time at Inter has ended, and perhaps has been prolonged by a year. He’s had 3 appearances this season, all of which certainly don’t merit his paycheck.

    Ezequiel Schelotto is not Inter material. His technical abilities amount to zero and he has very little football intelligence, as well as potential for that matter. Additionally he’s incredibly undisciplined, as evidenced by his fights against Catania and Atalanta. Even though he may be passionate about the Nerazzurri, his mentality clearly demonstrates that he doesn’t understand or uphold the responsibility and the honor of wearing the Inter shirt. This transfer was absolutely atrocious (of course still incomparable to Silvestre’s).

    I don’t know what to think of Obi; a couple of years ago I was excited to see how he’d bloom and held sufficiently high expectations for his future, but the stark reality has been that he has an injury problem, likely sustained from an earlier injury that will hinder his playing career entirely. We should really sell him especially because we have many other midfield players in his position that currently have much more potential and are free of the plague of injuries that sadly clouds Obi.

    Gaby Mudingayi hasn’t proven why we should buy his rights from Bologna, and imho he should definitely be sold in the summer mercato. It was even a move counter to the youth project development because he was 31 years old when we opted to get a loan for his services.

    Macdonald Mariga should be sold back to Parma immediately; his transfer was a really blatant flop, and I’m surprised that we haven’t done it earlier.

    Even though we purchased Kuzmanovic this January, frankly his performances have been lackluster, and considering he’s a CDM, honestly his defending has been quite dreadful. However, it is important to consider that he may be a necessary presence as a substitute, so I have to say that I am personally indifferent to his presence in the team.

    A major problem with this revamping of the midfield is that it places quite a lot of responsibility on younger players and assumes their ability to play at the highest level of football.

    However, it is important for them to gain Serie A experience, and they’ve proven themselves at the Primavera level and for some at the professional level as well. Again, Inter needs major changes that will allow us to be challenging for Europe and the league in two years.

    One thing the young players have is very strong passing ability, which is crucial because it can retain possession to develop an attack.

    Fredy Guarin has exceptional technical ability but it is often squandered by a highly selfish playing style that was only consistently delivering results in the earlier stages of the season, with it currently always culminating in a spectacular loss of possession. He’s adopted the classic Robben style of playing, where you dribble a couple of players and make a terrible shot at goal that misses by a longshot. If he manages to pass the ball more and incorporate himself into a team, then I’m sure he’ll really do well here at Inter.

    Personally, again I’m indifferent to his presence, and I really don’t think he should start matches, although, like Kuzmanovic, he may be a necessary presence as a substitute (considering potential injuries and suspensions).

    Daniel Bessa must return from loan at Vicenza to be one of our starting attacking midfielders, and he has the skills to really succeed at Inter if we use him properly and don’t lose yet another young talent (like Seedorf, Pirlo, Balotelli, and Coutinho). How we should use him (in my opinion) will come in Part 2 .

    I would, nevertheless, strongly prefer Bessa or Alvarez as attacking midfielders over Guarin because of their higher tendency to integrate themselves into the Inter collective through proper passing.

    Walter Gargano has not really shown why we should purchase him for 5.25 euro; he frequently loses possession and his passing is horrific. Imho the deal just isn’t worth it, and frankly it would be better to give his position as a destroyer to a younger player, considering he’s in his late 20s. He should be returned in the summer to Napoli.

    Diego Laxalt from Defensor Sporting in Uruguay should play in both the Primavera and the first team ala Bandini and Garritano (as a substitute) to gain a preliminary amount of experience in Europe. I don’t think he’ll be ready as a starter next season or the year after, but I may be wrong (hopefully ).

    Forwards

    Ruben Botta is an excellent purchase by Inter, and considering it’s a free transfer, we have absolutely nothing to lose. Also, he’s a valuable attacking asset and has been valued by his coach at Tigre as the greatest player in the entire history of the club, which exactly isn’t a modest compliment to make.

    For attacking wingers we have Alvarez and Botta; however, the latter hasn’t been proven to be ready for the challenges in Italian football and he’s just sustained a six-month injury, so we need to be prepared without him in the beginning of the season. I think Botta shouldn’t be a starter but a frequent substitute, so that he can gain the experience next season for him to excel as a starter the year after. We need, however, another winger mainly based on the left side of the pitch. Alejandro Gomez, a Catania player we have been following for two years, is the ideal player for this position. He has brilliant footwork, passing, and shooting skills, truly the reason why Catania has been challenging for Europe this season. He is certainly worth the pricetag.

    Rocchi should leave as soon as possible imho. It's much better to have a younger, less experienced player on the pitch rather than an incredibly injury one. Additionally, its not like he's playing sensationally, that he's proving his worth as a long term starter for the team with the way he’s playing right now, and it is given that he will leave either this year or the next.

    Milito was planning to sign for Racing Club in Argentina in the summer if he hadn’t attained the season ending injury against Cluj in March; if he stays, he won’t be playing with as much enthusiasm or passion for the jersey next season because of a longing to return to his homeland. Also, remember that next season he’ll be 34, which is pretty darn old for a striker, and coupled with his high salary, the verdict sways in favor of releasing Il Principe.

    Antonio Cassano is a very interesting case; he has blatant disciplinary issues, coupled with a very poor fitness regiment, and yet he has clear talent. However, in the construction of a new Inter, we have to get players fully committed to the jersey, that honor the jersey WITH discipline and a Zanetti-like mentality, and additionally who stretch and train often, because it seems like we have fitness problems. Though he claims he was a fan of the Nerazzurri as a child, he's awfully uncommitted. If there is a major change in his attitude, then he should definitely stay, but sadly, I just don't see that happening.

    Now let’s get to the jewel of Boca Juniors: Rodrigo Palacio. He’s been in amazing form this season, having surpassed the 20 goal mark, which is no easy task for a striker especially in Serie A.

    But the fact is that he’s thirty years old and only getting older, which puts him at much more risk for injuries. He should get much less playing time, and preferably should start only in formations demanding versatility from a lone striker; regardless of his original position as a secondary striker, he can also do very well as a central striker. I feel he will be a key player in the future, but primarily as a substitute.

    I cannot make clearer that Inter needs to really alternate all the players, from the goalkeepers to the attackers. We have to try and outsmart the injury plagues we have received that crippled our season from definite CL football and a rivalry with Juventus over the scudetto to competing with Udinese and Catania over Europa league spots. It’s a damn shame what happened this year, but it was clearly the fault of coaching and management who knowingly overplayed many of our players.

    Next season Inter should realize the importance of prioritizing youth, and that'll start with the attack. Strama must alternate forwards. Who will start really depends on the type of formation.

    Samuele Longo should come back to Inter from RCD Espanyol next season to be a supersub or maybe a starter in minor matches. The fact is that he really needs Serie A experience.

    Marko Livaja is clearly talented, and was very involved in Atalanta’s win over us at the San Siro. He can be one of the best supporting strikers in the world if he is given the opportunity to develop here at Inter as a starter. Getting him back isn’t a gamble because he obviously has the necessary skills to succeed right now.

    The acquisition of Mauro Icardi is a great move; he has promise as well as current ability, demonstrated in his matches vs Juventus and Pescara. It’s amazing that he’s only 20 years old, so he could be at Inter for quite some time.

    I think for the most part Icardi will be playing as the central striker, with Livaja as the secondary striker. Longo, Palacio, and Garritano will likely feature as frequent substitutes, or starters in Coppa Italia matches and games for Champions/Europa league (if we even qualify next year).

    Halfway through the season, Icardi, Livaja, Longo, Gomez, or Botta, depending on who delivers the least and isn’t getting minutes, should go on loan to a lower Serie A side such as Parma or Siena. My guess for this position would be Longo; it would be beneficial to him if he gets some Serie A experience, because so far he's played in only the Primavera League and La Liga.

    Luca Garritano should get more minutes, likely after the January transfer window when one of the above leaves. Next year should be his last in the primavera imho; after that, he should be put on loan. Same goes with Francesco Forte and Matteo Colombi.

    However, this plan will not be effective at all unless we get an entirely new fitness program with an experienced staff, because the current trainers and fitness staff are obviously not doing their job well when most of the squad gets periodically injured.

    =====================

    Revised Roster

    * An asterisk will be placed next to players that will also be featuring in the Primavera as well as the first team on occasion

    GK

    1. Samir Handanovic
    2. Mattia Perin
    3. Raffaele Dalle Vedove *
    4. Juan Pablo Carrizo

    CB

    Juan Jesus
    Andrea Ranocchia
    Hugo Campagnaro
    Marco Andreolli
    Matteo Bianchetti
    Leonardo Longo *

    FB

    Javier Adelmar Zanetti
    Gino Peruzzi
    Yuto Nagatomo
    Jonathan Cicero Moreira
    Ibrahima M’baye
    Andrea Bandini
    One more left back

    MF

    Mateo Kovacic
    Ricardo Gabriel Alvarez
    Marco Benassi
    Alfred Duncan
    Daniel Bessa
    Lorenzo Crisetig
    Fredy Guarin
    Diego Laxalt
    Patrick Olsen
    One more DM


    WR/WL

    Ruben Botta
    Alejandro Gomez

    FW

    Rodrigo Palacio
    Mauro Icardi
    Marko Livaja
    Samuele Longo
    Luca Garritano
    Lorenzo Tassi
    Francesco Forte *
    Matteo Colombi *

    Released:

    Luca Castellazzi
    Matias Silvestre
    Walter Adrian Samuel
    Cristian Chivu
    Alvaro Pereira
    Fredy Guarin
    Zdravko Kuzmanovic
    Esteban Matias Cambiasso
    Macdonald Mariga
    Walter Gargano
    Dejan Stankovic
    Tommasso Rocchi
    Diego Alberto Milito
    Antonio Cassano

    Loan:
    Simone Pasa
    Niccola Belloni
    Michele Rigione
    Rodrigo Albornoz

    =====================

    Stay tuned for Part 2.
    Last edited by pencilpal; 06 May 13 at 01:21.


  2. #2

    Join Date
    02 Aug 12
    Posts
    786
    Thanked
    547 times

    Canada

    I love it when people make long (and coherent) posts. I may not share your exact ideals, but I enjoyed reading that very much and look forward to the rest of it.

  3. #3
    .h.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    08 Jun 05
    Posts
    19,405
    Thanked
    19,122 times
    Old name
    browha

    Europe

    25 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    where is the perin stuff coming from? We've never once been linked with him, I thought Milan were in for him (as they are the only big club without a top keeper (Juve/Leali, Inter/Bardi))

    Alborno will be too old for the Primavera, Rigione offers nothing (cant even play in Serie B), Bianchetti needs to develop, as do Bandini, MBaye, Belloni, Bessa, Pasa, Crisetig..

    Laxalt will be too old...

    You have too many overaged players

  4. #4
    I'm better than Icardi Pimpin's Avatar
    Join Date
    13 Jul 11
    Posts
    14,104
    Thanked
    13,644 times
    Fav. Player
    22IcardiBroHand
    Old name
    DomesticatedPimp

    Albania

    59
    thanked for effort
    Quote Originally Posted by bandiera View Post
    referees 'without question' favour juve? i think youre overstating the effect of buying out the refs.
    Quote Originally Posted by bandiera View Post
    I did some thinking over the bench issue. I think when a player is benched, it can make them think more.

  5. Thanks (2): Devious, Ffi201zi002tlis

  6. #5
    might be Deadpool wera's Avatar
    Join Date
    28 Mar 11
    Posts
    17,610
    Thanked
    15,226 times
    Fav. Player
    Bea Arthur

    South Korea

    no mention of Cambiasso anywhere?

    also I think we are going to keep Kuzmanović and Gargano
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    If Icardi is ever sold for 110m euros i'll stop watching football and promote Pimp to moderator.

  7. #6
    pencilpal's Avatar
    Join Date
    12 Apr 13
    Posts
    2,104
    Thanked
    1,406 times
    Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

    Fiji

    Quote Originally Posted by browha View Post
    where is the perin stuff coming from? We've never once been linked with him, I thought Milan were in for him (as they are the only big club without a top keeper (Juve/Leali, Inter/Bardi))
    I just think that we need a new goalkeeper to be our backup, because Belec, Bardi, and Di Gennaro all need to develop. Carrizo will certainly not suffice; he was one of the worst goalkeepers in 2009 in the Argentine Primera Division during his time with River Plate in 2009 as well as with Catania last year. The issue is that we need a playable backup GK!

    Quote Originally Posted by browha View Post
    Rigione offers nothing (cant even play in Serie B)
    I think it is too quick to write off Rigione, considering his age and his achievements with our Primavera; Ciro Immobile was at a similar stage of his career prior to being in Pescara, so we shouldn't make any assumptions yet. In that case he should likely go on loan to a team in Serie B; I would suggest a newly demoted team such as Siena which undoubtedly would have ambition to return to the top tier.

    Quote Originally Posted by browha View Post
    Alborno will be too old for the Primavera, ... Bianchetti needs to develop, as do Bandini, MBaye, Belloni, Bessa, Pasa, Crisetig..

    Laxalt will be too old...

    You have too many overaged players
    I don't disagree that they all need to develop (Alborno, Bianchetti, Bandini, Mbaye, Belloni, Bessa, Pasa, Crisetig). I just think it would be very beneficial if they developed here at Inter. Look at how Ajax, PSV, and Borussia Dortmund have all undergone a radical transformation this year by using most of their u19 players in the first team and allowing them to develop in their home clubs.

    If you really look at BVB, the only two players that aren't from their u19 team are Lewandowski and Reus, and they paid quite a sum for the latter. Their plan has created longevity in the amount of success which they are practically guaranteed in the coming years due to the young age of their squad.

    We may not get instant results, but we will have a set of players who know each other in terms of how they can play (which is very important), and certainly results will come in time with a correct tactical approach (imho).

    It would also help economically if we use our younger players because we can save quite a lot of money from new transfers and instead splash cash on already proven, talented players we require.

    Something to keep in mind is that the younger players that haven't delivered in the season up to the winter break will be loaned out in the January transfer window to get valuable experience in a lower Serie A team (Chievo) or a higher Serie B team (Hellas Verona). Definitely players like Bessa, Crisetig, and M'baye shouldn't develop elsewhere imo.

    Anyways, thanks for your input, and hopefully that addresses some of the problems you pointed out.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by wera View Post
    no mention of Cambiasso anywhere?
    It's in there, just after the Midfielders heading. Here's the section from my article:

    Quote Originally Posted by pencilpal
    Cambiasso shouldn’t play at this point. A lot of people have pointed out how he hasn’t been looking the same since the treble clearly because of his current mindset, and I couldn’t agree more. We should bring back Crisetig and Duncan, both DMs (with different respective styles), who together can fill the void left by his absence from the starting lineups. Regardless of his legendary qualities and the occasional demonstration of pure defensive skill and football intelligence, we need to move on because when a player isn’t confident and eager to play, he simply won’t play. Also the importance of prioritizing the youth initiative is a very powerful argument to this decision.
    Quote Originally Posted by wera View Post
    also I think we are going to keep Kuzmanović and Gargano
    We probably will, but we shouldn't. Gargano can't pass and Kuzmanović's defending is pretty bad.

    Thanks for your input into the article; it's really appreciated.
    Last edited by pencilpal; 05 May 13 at 05:09.

  8. #7

    Join Date
    20 May 12
    Posts
    1,374
    Thanked
    1,334 times
    Fav. Player
    Gagliardini

    Ecuador

    58
    Why would we sign Perin? we already have too many god-dammned talented keepers coming through. I also don't agree with the part that says Belec has a great future. I don't see much in him. ( on the Perin subject I see where you are coming from, but I don't think he's needed At all.)

  9. #8
    pencilpal's Avatar
    Join Date
    12 Apr 13
    Posts
    2,104
    Thanked
    1,406 times
    Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

    Fiji

    Goalkeepers

    Quote Originally Posted by Earth View Post
    Why would we sign Perin?
    I think I've said it before in other replies, but it was merely a suggestion for a new backup goalkeeper, because Belec, Di Gennaro, Dalle Vedove, or certainly Carrizo will not suffice.

    Also, we could cash into some profit later on if he does well, and there's the possibility of Bardi and Belec being absolute flops, so as I pointed out earlier, we will have Di Gennaro, Perin, and Dalle Vedove, three good goalkeepers (if we don't eventually sell Perin).

    When we do sell him (Perin), we'll have two talented keepers that can alternate together as keepers.
    Of course, at that point, we'll probably sell either Di Gennaro or Dalle Vedove.

    Then again, if they all flop out (Belec, Bardi, Di Gennaro, Della Vedove), we can have a backup plan in Perin.

    That's why it would be a safe signing to get Perin, and also fairly easily negotiable because of our stellar relationship with his parent club, Genoa. But the main issue is that we need a playable backup GK!


  10. #9
    Somebody stop me! Devious's Avatar
    Join Date
    01 Oct 06
    Posts
    11,470
    Thanked
    22,806 times
    Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

    Egypt

    Nicest Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by PimpinAintEasy View Post
    thanked for effort
    Dont copy me.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pedo
    You have too many overaged players
    I laughed so hard.

    Shit doesnt happen

  11. #10

    Join Date
    20 Mar 13
    Posts
    58
    Thanked
    68 times

    Denmark

    I really cannot see why we would use our precious funds on another left back. We don't even know if we will be playing a 4-line at the back, and even if we do, we already have Nagatomo and Pereira, who must both be considered first team players. You mention our prospects as well - so any euro spent on another left back would be a damn waste. Unless we can get a world class player on the cheap, obviously.

    Rather we should (have had, perhaps) focus our attention on getting the right defensive midfielder. We desperately need a strong no. 6 to play alongside Guarin and Kovacic. Kuzmanovic is not this player - and I'm not comfortable with Duncan and/or Crisetig being given this responsibility. Alex Song would be a huge capture for Inter, and I really, really hope this will be our first priority.

    After the pivotal no. 6 is purchased we should look for a new right back and then offensive players. And for gods sake - let's focus our attention on 2-3 really strong, consistent players rather than a bunch of expensive, mediocre players. We should let our talents fill the gaps and only buy strong first team players.

  12. Thanks (1): .h.

  13. #11
    .h.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    08 Jun 05
    Posts
    19,405
    Thanked
    19,122 times
    Old name
    browha

    Europe

    25 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    Quote Originally Posted by pencilpal View Post
    I just think that we need a new goalkeeper to be our backup, because Belec, Bardi, and Di Gennaro all need to develop. Carrizo will certainly not suffice; he was one of the worst goalkeepers in 2009 in the Argentine Primera Division during his time with River Plate in 2009 as well as with Catania last year. The issue is that we need a playable backup GK!
    Well, I dont disagree with you there, but Perin is going to be expensive. Rarely do clubs have two very good young keepers - and, to be honest, I dont see what Perin offers over Bardi, who regularly starts over him for Italy U21... A "playable" keeper should be someone like Castellazzi, someone experienced and reliable, but not spectacular.

    I think it is too quick to write off Rigione, considering his age and his achievements with our Primavera; Ciro Immobile was at a similar stage of his career prior to being in Pescara, so we shouldn't make any assumptions yet. In that case he should likely go on loan to a team in Serie B; I would suggest a newly demoted team such as Siena which undoubtedly would have ambition to return to the top tier.
    I would rarely write off any Primavera kid, but of all the guys we have out on loan, Rigione is probably the worst. He's played something like 6 games this season, hasnt started in about 6 months, and is EASILY behind Benedetti, Caldirola, even Bianchetti on a "Good young Inter CB" list.

    I don't disagree that they all need to develop (Alborno, Bianchetti, Bandini, Mbaye, Belloni, Bessa, Pasa, Crisetig). I just think it would be very beneficial if they developed here at Inter. Look at how Ajax, PSV, and Borussia Dortmund have all undergone a radical transformation this year by using most of their u19 players in the first team and allowing them to develop in their home clubs.
    Alborno couldnt even play more than 1 game at Brescia. How can we expect him to develop at Inter when he failed miserably in Serie B? Bianchetti isnt a starter for Verona - he's started one game since moving there. Bandini, I like him alot, but he needs regular game time. The same is true for pretty much every one of those youngsters you listed. Look at Caldirola, still developing in Serie B despite being a regular for the last 2-2.5 seasons now. Biraghi, again, will get a development loan in Serie A next before we assess him for ourselves. The guys you listed are so unproven compared to them that relying on them in any shape is a huge mistake. The difference is that we aren't Ajax, or PSV, we're in a much more competitive league where - at best - our Primavera could compete in a mid Serie B level. Dortmund on the other hand are a bit of a different story, but again, the German league is hardly that competitive. They also benefit from doing EXACTLY what we do - development in the lower league. Its just that, for them, their lower league is their B team. Which Italy does not have.
    If you really look at BVB, the only two players that aren't from their u19 team are Lewandowski and Reus, and they paid quite a sum for the latter. Their plan has created longevity in the amount of success which they are practically guaranteed in the coming years due to the young age of their squad.

    We may not get instant results, but we will have a set of players who know each other in terms of how they can play (which is very important), and certainly results will come in time with a correct tactical approach (imho).

    It would also help economically if we use our younger players because we can save quite a lot of money from new transfers and instead splash cash on already proven, talented players we require.
    Honestly, the only thing that has ever bought you is making someone like Giovani look a lot better than he is. Familiarity is very important, but over familiarity at youth level means you become an inflexible player, and you cant show your skills in another club/formation/etc. Learning to be generic then specific is much better, and easier, than learning to be specific, then generic.

    Something to keep in mind is that the younger players that haven't delivered in the season up to the winter break will be loaned out in the January transfer window to get valuable experience in a lower Serie A team (Chievo) or a higher Serie B team (Hellas Verona). Definitely players like Bessa, Crisetig, and M'baye shouldn't develop elsewhere imo.
    Well, Bessa doesnt even play for Vicenza, MBaye has his attitude issue I've addressed numerous times, and Crisetig really isnt as good as people rave on about. I like him, and I'm very glad he's starting to assert himself in Crotone, but he's a long way from ready still. His career is only starting to get back on track after being completely static from 16->18 (imho).

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Devious View Post
    Dont copy me.



    I laughed so hard.
    Luls. My comment was re:primavera

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Earth View Post
    Why would we sign Perin? we already have too many god-dammned talented keepers coming through. I also don't agree with the part that says Belec has a great future. I don't see much in him. ( on the Perin subject I see where you are coming from, but I don't think he's needed At all.)
    well, we've got a fucktonne of good keepers as you point out. Only Bardi is as established as Perin, (infact he is more established, just lacks a little Serie A experience, but is regularly picked ahead of Perin for the Italy U-21, and is Serie B keeper of the year), but beyond that we have Smug, Dalle Vedove, Ivusic, who are all talented keepers

  14. Thanks (1): Ffi201zi002tlis

  15. #12
    might be Deadpool wera's Avatar
    Join Date
    28 Mar 11
    Posts
    17,610
    Thanked
    15,226 times
    Fav. Player
    Bea Arthur

    South Korea

    I mean, Cambiasso is not listed in the end, I know he is mentioned before. My bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    If Icardi is ever sold for 110m euros i'll stop watching football and promote Pimp to moderator.

  16. #13
    .h.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    08 Jun 05
    Posts
    19,405
    Thanked
    19,122 times
    Old name
    browha

    Europe

    25 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    I just want to take an example, of the Dortmund v Bayern game

    Dortmund starters:

    Weidenfeller - effectively played 2-3 seasons in B team of Dortmund & Kaiserlaurten
    Subotic - played a full season in Bundesliga 2 before moving to Dortmund
    Santana - 2 years in Brazil before moving to Dortmund
    Schmelzer - 18 months in b team before moving to first team
    Kehl - 2 years in Bundesliga 2 before moving to Freiburg
    Gundogan - 3 years at Nuremberg in 2 bundesliga and then bundesliga developing before moving to Dortmund
    Blaszczkoywski - 3 years Polish 3rd division, 3 years Polish 1st division, then Dortmund
    Sahin - In and out of Dortmund b team and first team from 16, then development loan to Feyenoord
    Grobkreutz - 3 seasons at regional/2nd division club before moving to dortmund
    Lewandowski - 6 seasons at development clubs in Polish 2nd and 1st division clubs before moving to Dortmund
    Scheiber - 1 season development at Stuttgart b before playing in Bundesliga

    So as you can see, most of these guys get at least 1-2 seasons development before even coming close to the Dortmund A team


    What indisputably helps them alot is that they can develop people in their own b team, and if someone looks good, or is injured, they can move them up to the A team and see if they can assert themselves. For us there is no such choice - 6 months or even 1 year on the bench for a guy at 21-22 CAN ruin them, so we have to loan them out

  17. Thanks (1): Ffi201zi002tlis

  18. #14

    Join Date
    20 Mar 13
    Posts
    58
    Thanked
    68 times

    Denmark

    It is a very good point, browha. The lack of a true B-team is a big disadvantage for the top Italian sides. The Primavera system is functioning quite well, but we desperately need a true reserve league or perhaps access to Serie C for the reserve sides of the biggest clubs.

    Of course, we can loan out the talents to smaller clubs. But it is hardly the best choice. Livorno, Vicenza, Sassuolo etc. does not have nearly the same facilities, coaches etc. as Inter do. The daily training and thorough evaluation of every match perfomance is critical to young players, and of course smaller Serie B clubs cannot deliver this on the same super-professional scale that Inter can. Therefore it would be a great improvement of our youth development to have a good "in-house" reserve side so our best talents could stay at Appiano Gentile even when they are too old for the Primavera.

  19. #15
    .h.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    08 Jun 05
    Posts
    19,405
    Thanked
    19,122 times
    Old name
    browha

    Europe

    25 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    Its also a fluidity, of course, between A and B team which makes a big difference. You can lower the depth you have in squad of the first team because you know you can call up B team players at any time - so for example what we could do is instead of having players like Silvestre, Jonathan, Stankovic, Rocchi, they could easily be replaced by, say, Pasa, Biraghi, Crisetig, Livaja.

    The lack of fluidity really hurts - and (for example in the treble season) if a youth player is basically not going to feature, then he's obviously much better off on loan developing. But, sadly, its binary. You're either on loan developing, or you're at the club not playing. We need that third option.


    Whilst I do like a lot the Serie B loans we have going, we would be much more improved by having some control over the team - e.g. Bessa (arguably) isnt playing because the current coach wants experienced people who can contribute to the relegation struggle. Similarly Benedetti has fallen out of favour under the current coach at Spezia.


    Bardi
    Donati Benedetti Caldirola Biraghi
    Crisetig Duncan
    Livaja Bessa Alibec
    Longo

    is a side that would easily do WELL, at least, in Serie C1.

  20. #16
    pencilpal's Avatar
    Join Date
    12 Apr 13
    Posts
    2,104
    Thanked
    1,406 times
    Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

    Fiji

    Quote Originally Posted by browha View Post
    Well, I dont disagree with you there, but Perin is going to be expensive. Rarely do clubs have two very good young keepers - and, to be honest, I dont see what Perin offers over Bardi, who regularly starts over him for Italy U21... A "playable" keeper should be someone like Castellazzi, someone experienced and reliable, but not spectacular.
    Well again Perin was merely a suggestion, because Castellazzi is bound to retire very soon and has some serious injury issues (retaining on avg 2 injuries a season as a backup). We also have to be prepared for the possibility of Handanovic's departure to a team with more financial endowment in the coming years. It's crucial to realize that we have become extremely dependent upon his performances lately.

    I don't think Bardi is ready to take the starting spot at Inter next year (he needs 1 more year of development), so I just brought up a goalkeeper is young, has caps for the Italy NT (which Bardi does not have), and has been doing pretty well even against strong teams like Fiorentina. I also think that it's a pretty good and safe investment because even if we would pay millions for him, we would likely profit from his sale. Players that are really young, particularly goalkeepers, can always be flops, so Perin was a safety mechanism that could stabilize the situation if worst comes to worst. It doesn't really matter if it is Perin, the point was that we need a new backup goalkeeper.

    Also, Perin won Serie B goalkeeper of the year in 2008. Marchetti won it in 2007, so certainly winning it isn't representative any direct success in Serie A afterwards. Bardi needs to develop, and then he'll be starting material.

    Smug, Dalle Vedove, and Ivusic are all incredibly young, and Smug and Ivusic haven't got many minutes in the Primavera, so it is very risky to assume that they all will be talented, especially because they're goalkeepers.

    Quote Originally Posted by browha View Post
    I would rarely write off any Primavera kid, but of all the guys we have out on loan, Rigione is probably the worst. He's played something like 6 games this season, hasnt started in about 6 months, and is EASILY behind Benedetti, Caldirola, even Bianchetti on a "Good young Inter CB" list.

    ... Alborno couldnt even play more than 1 game at Brescia. How can we expect him to develop at Inter when he failed miserably in Serie B? Bianchetti isnt a starter for Verona - he's started one game since moving there. Bandini, I like him alot, but he needs regular game time. The same is true for pretty much every one of those youngsters you listed. Look at Caldirola, still developing in Serie B despite being a regular for the last 2-2.5 seasons now. Biraghi, again, will get a development loan in Serie A next before we assess him for ourselves. The guys you listed are so unproven compared to them that relying on them in any shape is a huge mistake.

    ... Well, Bessa doesnt even play for Vicenza, MBaye has his attitude issue I've addressed numerous times, and Crisetig really isnt as good as people rave on about. I like him, and I'm very glad he's starting to assert himself in Crotone, but he's a long way from ready still. His career is only starting to get back on track after being completely static from 16->18 (imho).
    At this point, considering the evidence you've presented, I don't disagree that Alborno and Rigione should stay on loan.

    However, lots of our young talents, like Bessa and Bianchetti, haven't been given concrete chances to excel and demonstrate their talent. I brought up the example of Ciro Immobile, how in Siena he played 4 matches before moving on to Pescara, and I think that is representative of how many of our players are being treated in Serie B. Bessa's only registered 2 caps for Vicenza and frankly I think that he deserves better.

    Also, Biraghi and Bianchetti have recently been installed in the Italy u21 NT, which speaks for itself.
    Crisetig, imho, is an excellent player, and even he's only been given 7 caps in Crotone. Because of the low amount of starts they're receiving, they aren't truly developing in Serie B, and I think that Bessa, Bianchetti, and Crisetig should be playing for Inter and developing at home. Mattia De Sciglio from AC Milan wasn't sent on a development loan, and look at him now.

    Quote Originally Posted by browha View Post
    The difference is that we aren't Ajax, or PSV, we're in a much more competitive league where - at best - our Primavera could compete in a mid Serie B level. Dortmund on the other hand are a bit of a different story, but again, the German league is hardly that competitive. They also benefit from doing EXACTLY what we do - development in the lower league. Its just that, for them, their lower league is their B team. Which Italy does not have.
    With Ajax, Cristian Eriksen moved up directly from the youth setup, and other than one average season, he broke through the second because he was given chances to develop in the first team. Also, I'm talking about the same Ajax that thrashed Manchester City 3-1 in the Champions league.

    You brought up the point that the Eredivise is a much less competitive league than Serie A, but talented players like Eriksen transcend league quality, in the sense that he would have done well elsewhere had he moved up the ranks in another country.

    I'm not going to be received well for saying this, but the Bundesliga is on par, if not better than Serie A. It's just that Borussia Dortmund and Bayern Munich are so much better than the rest of the teams in the league, which isn't attributed to the low quality of the league, but the high quality of those two respective squads. Look at Bayer Leverkusen, Frankfurt, Schalke, Wolfsburg, and Stuttgart, all top teams. It's just a bit unfair to simply write off a complete league.

    Quote Originally Posted by browha View Post
    Honestly, the only thing that has ever bought you is making someone like Giovani look a lot better than he is. Familiarity is very important, but over familiarity at youth level means you become an inflexible player, and you cant show your skills in another club/formation/etc. Learning to be generic then specific is much better, and easier, than learning to be specific, then generic.
    As I previously pointed out, they aren't being given opportunities to be generic. Andrea Pirlo at Brescia changed positions frequently and Alessandro Nesta at Lazio was a striker and a midfielder before settling in on defence. Additionally, the majority of the great players of the Italian league never went on a development loan; rather the team gave them the opportunity and the responsibilities of playing in the first team.

    Anyways, its always interesting to see your perspective on this plan given your familiarity with our younger players.

  21. #17
    .h.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    08 Jun 05
    Posts
    19,405
    Thanked
    19,122 times
    Old name
    browha

    Europe

    25 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    Alot of your aooearances ibfo is wrobg. Will reply when i get home.

  22. #18
    pencilpal's Avatar
    Join Date
    12 Apr 13
    Posts
    2,104
    Thanked
    1,406 times
    Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

    Fiji

    Quote Originally Posted by browha View Post
    I just want to take an example, of the Dortmund v Bayern game

    Dortmund starters:

    Weidenfeller - effectively played 2-3 seasons in B team of Dortmund & Kaiserlaurten
    Subotic - played a full season in Bundesliga 2 before moving to Dortmund
    Santana - 2 years in Brazil before moving to Dortmund
    Schmelzer - 18 months in b team before moving to first team
    Kehl - 2 years in Bundesliga 2 before moving to Freiburg
    Gundogan - 3 years at Nuremberg in 2 bundesliga and then bundesliga developing before moving to Dortmund
    Blaszczkoywski - 3 years Polish 3rd division, 3 years Polish 1st division, then Dortmund
    Sahin - In and out of Dortmund b team and first team from 16, then development loan to Feyenoord
    Grobkreutz - 3 seasons at regional/2nd division club before moving to dortmund
    Lewandowski - 6 seasons at development clubs in Polish 2nd and 1st division clubs before moving to Dortmund
    Scheiber - 1 season development at Stuttgart b before playing in Bundesliga

    So as you can see, most of these guys get at least 1-2 seasons development before even coming close to the Dortmund A team


    What indisputably helps them alot is that they can develop people in their own b team, and if someone looks good, or is injured, they can move them up to the A team and see if they can assert themselves. For us there is no such choice - 6 months or even 1 year on the bench for a guy at 21-22 CAN ruin them, so we have to loan them out
    If you compare Serie B or even our Primavera league to most of the aforemention leagues that the Dortmund players developed in (Polish 2nd division, Bundesliga 2, Polish 3rd division, Polish 1st division, regional clubs) they are on a different level.

    Also, I noticed you didn't mention Mario Gotze there, who went directly from the youth ranks to the first team.

    All this aside, however, your point on how there is a lack of a B-team in Italy is incredibly relevant. Lots of our youngsters aren't even played in their loans. Imho Moratti should follow what Lotito did with Salernitana, and indirectly purchase a Serie C1 or C2 club where we can play all of the promoted players from the Primavera to evaluate their readiness for the first team.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by browha View Post
    Alot of your aooearances ibfo is wrobg. Will reply when i get home.
    The caps statistics I brought forward record the amount of starts, but regardless of some statistical misrepresentation, they still present a valid point.

    Even if we just look at the minutes played, Bessa's only recorded 73 (1.2 games !!!), Bianchetti has 241 (4.0 games), and Rigione has 594 (9.9 games). These aren't acceptable minutes for real development loans that are intended to cultivate a player, and allow them to properly adapt to the professional leagues.

    Crisetig, Biraghi, and Duncan, on the other hand, have gotten a decent amount in their stays at Crotone, Citadella, and Livorno respectively, which is nice to hear.

  23. #19
    .h.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    08 Jun 05
    Posts
    19,405
    Thanked
    19,122 times
    Old name
    browha

    Europe

    25 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    Quote Originally Posted by pencilpal View Post
    Well again Perin was merely a suggestion, because Castellazzi is bound to retire very soon and has some serious injury issues (retaining on avg 2 injuries a season as a backup). We also have to be prepared for the possibility of Handanovic's departure to a team with more financial endowment in the coming years. It's crucial to realize that we have become extremely dependent upon his performances lately.

    I don't think Bardi is ready to take the starting spot at Inter next year (he needs 1 more year of development), so I just brought up a goalkeeper is young, has caps for the Italy NT (which Bardi does not have), and has been doing pretty well even against strong teams like Fiorentina. I also think that it's a pretty good and safe investment because even if we would pay millions for him, we would likely profit from his sale. Players that are really young, particularly goalkeepers, can always be flops, so Perin was a safety mechanism that could stabilize the situation if worst comes to worst. It doesn't really matter if it is Perin, the point was that we need a new backup goalkeeper.
    Unless I'm mistaken, Perin has never capped for Italy. He was not even playing Serie B until 2011 (Debut 22-May-11 vs Cesena in Serie A) so I dont know where you're getting this 2008 any. By any metric, Bardi is better than Perin, except for number of appearances in Serie A.

    Also, Perin won Serie B goalkeeper of the year in 2008. Marchetti won it in 2007, so certainly winning it isn't representative any direct success in Serie A afterwards. Bardi needs to develop, and then he'll be starting material.

    Smug, Dalle Vedove, and Ivusic are all incredibly young, and Smug and Ivusic haven't got many minutes in the Primavera, so it is very risky to assume that they all will be talented, especially because they're goalkeepers.
    Well, Ivusic isnt in the Primavera (he's Beretti), Smug has been surprisingly rarely used even to me, but then his competition is strong in Dalle Vedove & Di Gennaro. As stated, though, I consider them all to be pretty talented, just behind Bardi in their career.

    At this point, considering the evidence you've presented, I don't disagree that Alborno and Rigione should stay on loan.

    However, lots of our young talents, like Bessa and Bianchetti, haven't been given concrete chances to excel and demonstrate their talent. I brought up the example of Ciro Immobile, how in Siena he played 4 matches before moving on to Pescara, and I think that is representative of how many of our players are being treated in Serie B. Bessa's only registered 2 caps for Vicenza and frankly I think that he deserves better.
    Bearing in mind your most recent response, it's still not true? Crisetig has started 19 Serie B games this year - 13 since signing for Crotone, missing one due to injury or being benched, and missing another to Italy U21 duty. Bianchetti's gone into a very hard team (promotion candidates?) and is starting to assert himself (started the penultimate match)

    Also, Biraghi and Bianchetti have recently been installed in the Italy u21 NT, which speaks for itself.
    Crisetig, imho, is an excellent player, and even he's only been given 7 caps in Crotone. Because of the low amount of starts they're receiving, they aren't truly developing in Serie B, and I think that Bessa, Bianchetti, and Crisetig should be playing for Inter and developing at home. Mattia De Sciglio from AC Milan wasn't sent on a development loan, and look at him now.
    Biraghi's been a part of the Italy U21 set up since 2010 - debuting on the 17th of November. I don't think Bessa offers us anything at the moment, a player in his position needs confidence and will fail miserably without it. I'm not against Crisetig being at Inter, but with Benassi already here, I really dont see much space for him. We have to remember, too, we're signing Mudingayi & Gargano as well as someone like Nainggolan - do we even have space for Duncan?

    I agree on De Sciglio - but he's very much an exception to the rule. Plus, Milan KNEW they were short on full backs when they chose to keep him, I wouldnt really say we have any issues with numbers in depth (just quality)

    With Ajax, Cristian Eriksen moved up directly from the youth setup, and other than one average season, he broke through the second because he was given chances to develop in the first team. Also, I'm talking about the same Ajax that thrashed Manchester City 3-1 in the Champions league.

    You brought up the point that the Eredivise is a much less competitive league than Serie A, but talented players like Eriksen transcend league quality, in the sense that he would have done well elsewhere had he moved up the ranks in another country.

    I'm not going to be received well for saying this, but the Bundesliga is on par, if not better than Serie A. It's just that Borussia Dortmund and Bayern Munich are so much better than the rest of the teams in the league, which isn't attributed to the low quality of the league, but the high quality of those two respective squads. Look at Bayer Leverkusen, Frankfurt, Schalke, Wolfsburg, and Stuttgart, all top teams. It's just a bit unfair to simply write off a complete league.



    As I previously pointed out, they aren't being given opportunities to be generic. Andrea Pirlo at Brescia changed positions frequently and Alessandro Nesta at Lazio was a striker and a midfielder before settling in on defence. Additionally, the majority of the great players of the Italian league never went on a development loan; rather the team gave them the opportunity and the responsibilities of playing in the first team.

    Anyways, its always interesting to see your perspective on this plan given your familiarity with our younger players.
    The concept of the development loan is actually comparatively new, though. And if you look at some of the best up and coming players in Italy now, they're all players who were loaned out for development. Look at Giovinco, for example. Destro. Immobile. Bonucci. Ranocchia. El Shaarawy. Its because it gives them a lower pressure environment to excel in - alot of players can and will struggle with the mental pressure and it takes a truly exceptional player to be able to transcend that. Remember, what you're suggesting isnt new as such - its what we did used to do back in the early 2000s and prior. I remember Vieira playing for the Primavera on occasion, for gods sake (!) We've written that method off now, and what works best for the greater number of youngsters is development loans. We occassionally, perhaps, miss out on people who would be immediately ready to play for the first team - someone like Duncan - but its by far and a long way the best way to help people get better

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by pencilpal View Post
    If you compare Serie B or even our Primavera league to most of the aforemention leagues that the Dortmund players developed in (Polish 2nd division, Bundesliga 2, Polish 3rd division, Polish 1st division, regional clubs) they are on a different level.

    Also, I noticed you didn't mention Mario Gotze there, who went directly from the youth ranks to the first team.

    All this aside, however, your point on how there is a lack of a B-team in Italy is incredibly relevant. Lots of our youngsters aren't even played in their loans. Imho Moratti should follow what Lotito did with Salernitana, and indirectly purchase a Serie C1 or C2 club where we can play all of the promoted players from the Primavera to evaluate their readiness for the first team.

    - - - Updated - - -



    The caps statistics I brought forward record the amount of starts, but regardless of some statistical misrepresentation, they still present a valid point.

    Even if we just look at the minutes played, Bessa's only recorded 73 (1.2 games !!!), Bianchetti has 241 (4.0 games), and Rigione has 594 (9.9 games). These aren't acceptable minutes for real development loans that are intended to cultivate a player, and allow them to properly adapt to the professional leagues.

    Crisetig, Biraghi, and Duncan, on the other hand, have gotten a decent amount in their stays at Crotone, Citadella, and Livorno respectively, which is nice to hear.
    I just picked the eleven people who started the weekend game against Munich. No intent in it anywhere.

    Serie B simply has to be better than Poland 2 or Poland 3. I refuse to believe it isnt.



    Biraghi is the example I will permanently cite. Came to great fanfare with his goal against Man City, and then signed on loan for Juve Stabia. He played the first few weeks week in week out but after that played only once more for the rest of the season. Now he looks Serie A ready and will probably feature heavily for Sampdoria or Catania next season. That isnt to say that, of course, that having a "tough time" on loan the first season is a bad idea, but clearly you dont want more than a season like that. This is why, for example, I write off Rigione but not Bessa or Bianchetti. One season when you're young means nothing - if they dont do it next year then we start to worry.

  24. #20
    pencilpal's Avatar
    Join Date
    12 Apr 13
    Posts
    2,104
    Thanked
    1,406 times
    Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

    Fiji

    Quote Originally Posted by Rosenvold View Post
    I really cannot see why we would use our precious funds on another left back. We don't even know if we will be playing a 4-line at the back, and even if we do, we already have Nagatomo and Pereira, who must both be considered first team players. You mention our prospects as well - so any euro spent on another left back would be a damn waste.
    We should purchase a more defensive left back, because both Nagatomo and Pereira's defending is absolutely atrocious, and imo Inter should adopt a 4 man chain of defence (I'll be getting to that in part 2). Because of the inability of these players to defend, often our defence has to deal with the attack, rather than the midfield (especially players on the flanks).

    This really isn't a major priority, but it is something for management to consider, though I would like to see Biraghi or M'baye occupying that position next year.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rosenvold View Post
    Rather we should (have had, perhaps) focus our attention on getting the right defensive midfielder. We desperately need a strong no. 6 to play alongside Guarin and Kovacic. Kuzmanovic is not this player - and I'm not comfortable with Duncan and/or Crisetig being given this responsibility. Alex Song would be a huge capture for Inter, and I really, really hope this will be our first priority.
    While I have been writing this article's continuation, I have noticed that we do need another defensive midfielder. However, it is crucial to realize that there are two types of DMs: those focused on the defensive part of the game (breaking up opp attacks), and others on distribution. We have DMs of the latter type; I think Kova can fit in that position, and Crisetig as well as Olsen are prospects that will fit in that role quite well. Song also belongs to this category, which is why imo his purchase isn't a real priority of management.

    What we do need are DMs that can tackle and are purely focused on the defensive aspect of the game. These types of players can easily integrate themselves into the defence as an extra member of the defense.

    Imo Duncan will be able to fit into that position, but he may not be perfectly ready next year. He should definitely start a lot of games, but not all of them. Additionally, he is a very versatile player, so we should be prepared for some movement in where he plays on the pitch (because of his clear offensive qualities). That means that we really need a hard tackling DM that can fill this position.

    My personal suggestion is Lucas Biglia of Anderlecht (a current Inter target). Even if Duncan eventually fits well as a very defensive CM, we can profit off of Biglia's sale (although this assumes Duncan is better than Biglia in this role).

    Quote Originally Posted by Rosenvold View Post
    I'm not comfortable with Duncan and/or Crisetig being given this responsibility.
    Something that Inter has consistently done is undervalue our youth players, and frankly I think it is very counterproductive to the club's development. We didn't have faith in Mattia Destro, Leonardo Bonucci, Marco Delvecchio, and Mario Balotelli. I could also list some of our younger acquisitions from other teams, that we later sold, but then I would be writing an encyclopedia.

    Simply put, Inter should have more faith in the youth setup.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rosenvold View Post
    And for gods sake - let's focus our attention on 2-3 really strong, consistent players rather than a bunch of expensive, mediocre players. We should let our talents fill the gaps and only buy strong first team players.
    Exactly.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •