Thread: Referee dies after unnecessary violence

Fav. Player
    Durian

Ecuador

15 Forum Supporter

Referee dies after unnecessary violence

I can't believe this happened in Utah out of all places... smh.

Link

Quote Originally Posted by Associated Press
    A Utah soccer referee who slipped into a coma after being punched by a teenage player during a game a week ago died Saturday night, police said.

Ricardo Portillo, 46, of Salt Lake City passed away at the hospital, where he was being treated following an assault, Unified police spokesman Justin Hoyal said.

Police have accused a 17-year-old player in a recreational soccer league of punching Portillo after the man called a foul on him and issued him a yellow card.

"The suspect was close to Portillo and punched him once in the face as a result of the call," Hoyal said in a press release.

The teen has been booked into juvenile detention on suspicion of aggravated assault.

Hoyal said authorities will consider additional charges since Portillo has died.

He said an autopsy is planned. No cause of death was released.

Portillo suffered swelling in his brain and had been listed in critical condition, Dr. Shawn Smith said Thursday at the Intermountain Medical Center in the Salt Lake City suburb of Murray.

The victim's family, which publicly spoke of Portillo's plight this past week, has asked for privacy, Hoyal said.

Johana Portillo, 26, said last week that she wasn't at the April 27 game in the Salt Lake City suburb of Taylorsville, but she said she's been told by witnesses and detectives that the player hit her father in the side of the head.

"When he was writing down his notes, he just came out of nowhere and punched him," she said.

Accounts from a police report, Portillo's daughter and others further detail what occurred.

The teenager was playing goalie during a game at Eisenhower Junior High School in Taylorsville when Ricardo Portillo issued him a yellow card for pushing an opposing forward trying to score a goal. In soccer, a yellow card is given as a warning to a player for an egregious violation of the rules. Two yellow cards lead to a red card and expulsion from the game.

The teenager, quite a bit heavier than Portillo, began arguing with the referee, then unleashed a punch to his face. Portillo seemed fine at first, then asked to be held because he felt dizzy. He sat down and started vomiting blood, triggering his friend to call an ambulance.

When police arrived around noon, the teenager was gone and Portillo was laying on the ground in the fetal position. Through translators, Portillo told EMTs that his face and back hurt and he felt nauseous. He had no visible injuries and remained conscious. He was considered to be in fair condition when they took him to the Intermountain Medical Center.

But when Portillo arrived to the hospital, he slipped into a coma with swelling in his brain. Johana Portillo called detectives to let them know his condition had worsened.

That's when detectives intensified their search for the goalie. By Saturday evening, the teenager's father agreed to bring him down to speak with police.

Portillo's family said he had been attacked before, and Johanna Portillo said she and her sisters begged their father to stop refereeing because of the risk from angry players, but he continued because he loved soccer.

"It was his passion," she said. "We could not tell him no."

Fav. Player
    Cham-paggin?

Estonia

Didn't something like this happen just few months earlier to?
    It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass.

Fav. Player
    Il Chino

Costa Rica

yeah, happened in the Netherlands a few months back

Fav. Player
    Zanetti

Nepal

Don't wanna encourage violence but i wouldn't feel bad if something terrible happened to the corrupt italian refs that help rube and bbilan

5. Thanks (2): Guney, Redbullsnation

Syria

10 years of FIF
    Video pls.

Fav. Player
    Il Capitano

Europe

Forum Supporter
    Such a mindless tragedy. When you take the time to think about what happened you can't help but be disgusted that a life has been taken over something as fickle as a decision in a game of sport. Appalling so it is.

Fav. Player
    Durian

Ecuador

15 Forum Supporter
    Didn't want to make a new thread.... but something like this happened again.

Except Two people died

Fav. Player
    Sergio Aguero!

Macedonia

10 years of FIF
    Yeah, saw it yesterday. The ref gave red card, the player starts hitting him, the ref stabs him, and the fans cut the refs head and put it on the goal.
    "This wonderful night will give us the colours for our crest: black and blue against a backdrop of gold stars. It will be called Internazionale, because we are brothers of the world."

Derby d'Italia, why the rivalry?
    My message to JuBe cunts

Fav. Player
    Diego A. Milito

Cambodia

man that video of his body is fucked up
    ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
    Bayern Munich 0 - 2 FC Internazionale Milano
    35" Diego Milito
    70" Diego Milito

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Fav. Player
    Durian

Ecuador

15 Forum Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Howl View Post
    man that video of his body is fucked up
    Yea, it's brutal that I forgot to warn everyone on that. I don't get why some take the game so seriously in the world sometimes that violence has to occur.

Fav. Player
    ₩$

Macedonia

6 Forum Supporter
    The sick people that did it deserve a sick ending aswell...

Disgusting
    INTERISTA 4 EVER

I dont think the formation model counts, its all about the principles and the attitude" - Stefano Pioli

Fav. Player
    3, 4, 9, 10, 11

Kuwait

30 FIF Special Ones Comedic Post of the Year
    Idiots, animals to be more specific. I've seen similar videos in politics and such lately, so I'll skip the sickening experience.

What is this? Like the third or fourth case now?

Poland

World Cup 2014 , welcome to Brazil

not gonna watch the video

Fav. Player
    Il Capitano

Italy

this WC will be interesting

Fav. Player
    Ronaldo L.N.D.L

Albania

Oh man, that poor fucker was only 20. He stabbed the idiot who was punching him, what do you expect to happen from a 20 year old, but that mob mentality and what they did after is sickening beyond belief. Fucking savages, send them back to Vlad Tepes' Transylvania.

Fav. Player
    22IcardiBroHand
    Old name
    DomesticatedPimp

Albania

and I thought balkans were fucked up..

man shit likes this don't need to happen, football is just a game, not more than that.. stop things like this, fucking morons
    Quote Originally Posted by bandiera View Post
    referees 'without question' favour juve? i think youre overstating the effect of buying out the refs.
    Quote Originally Posted by bandiera View Post
    I did some thinking over the bench issue. I think when a player is benched, it can make them think more.

Fav. Player
    Handanović

Israel

Quote Originally Posted by Armes View Post
    Oh man, that poor fucker was only 20. He stabbed the idiot who was punching him, what do you expect to happen from a 20 year old, but that mob mentality and what they did after is sickening beyond belief. Fucking savages, send them back to Vlad Tepes' Transylvania.
    If everyone on earth would stab a person to death because he gets *punched* the world would be a massive chaos. What do you expect to do from a 20 year old? Fight back like a man using your body. If things get out of hand and you get ambushed, then just get the fuck outta there while you can. Why is his age an excuse? 20 year olds should not act like this, nobody should. Why did he have a knife in the first place?

If it was for self-defending then he knew what he was getting into, shouldn't have came there in the first place. Good ol' saying says if you don't hang out with sick retards, your chances of not ending your life early increases. (I made that up right now). He's no angel either.

Not that they should have done what they did to him, but clearly it MIGHT not have happend if he didn't stab a person to death.

And don't expect anything special in WC like that, people were saying the same shit in 2010 WC and it went fine. Shit like that happens everywhere in low life places, just because you don't always hear about it doesn't mean it's not happening.

Fav. Player
    ZANETTI!

Australia

Protesters chant slogans during a demonstration on a street near Maracana stadium in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil on June 30, a few hours before the final of the FIFA Confederations Cup football tournament between Brazil and Spain