Javier Zanetti

Fiji

Next year PART 2: Formations and Tactics

***LINK TO PART ONE: CLICK HERE***

Spoiler: Old ideas for formations and tactics 

Here is my final preferred formation:

4-2-3-1

Click here for the formation

So lets take a look at this tactic piece by piece.

Biraghi and Peruzzi have defensive and midfield roles, not really going past the halfway line, forming a 4-man chain of defence for the most part. An idea would be putting in Jonathan or Nagatomo for Peruzzi to supplement the attack, where this RB would move on the flanks behind Alvarez, and we could have a 3 man or 4 man chain of defence depending on whether or not we're attacking.

In this formation, the two DMs in front of the back four give support to the defense, with one player primarily breaking up opposition attack, and the other putting more emphasis on distributing the ball to other players as an anchor.

So basically Kovacic is an anchor for distribution and getting balls out, while Duncan is more versatile in a position like Javi Martinez of Bayern Munich. Duncan breaks up the opposition attacks, but also goes forward to provide the ball to the CAM.

In this formation, Cassano is a hybrid between a second striker and an attacking midfielder, similar to the position he held in the Inter vs Tottenham match at the San Siro.

The wings are self explanatory, and Palacio is a very good center striker.

I think this tactic could work next year pretty well without putting in youngsters like Benassi or Bessa that need muscular development.

Then again, Benassi and Bessa can substitute Kovacic and Cassano respectively, and Icardi could easily play in Palacio's position as a starter.

Furthermore the implementation of this formation only requires the purchase of Gomez, so it is quite feasible. The only thing we really need for this tactic is another player to substitute Cassano in the case of an injury or a suspension.

Please comment with your opinion on my tactical commentary, and thanks for reading.
    Last edited by pencilpal; 13 May 13 at 06:56.

2. Thanks (2): Devious, Dylan

Old name
    browha

Europe

25 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    Just so you know, we have formation functionality on this forum

<br />
0 0 0 Colombi 0 0 0<br />
0 Garritano 0 0 0 Livaja 0<br />
0 0 0 Bessa 0 0 0<br />
0 0 Benassi 0 Duncan 0 0<br />
0 0 0 0 0 0 0<br />
MBaye 0 Juan 0 Ranocchia 0 Bandini <br />
0 0 0 0 0 0 0<br />
Handanovic<br />

4. Thanks (1): victor_inter

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

Fiji

Oh... I'll have to redo the formations using the FIF format.

On another note, I like your formation.
    Go youth project go!

Fav. Player
    Zanetti

England

Most Serious Member Transfer Guru
    Guys, I am all for a youth project, but we are also Inter and should be at least trying for a CL spot. A midfield of Duncan-Benassi-Kovacic will not get you there. You need some quality experience along with talented youth if you want to achieve your objectives. Else you also risk destroying the young talent - these kids are not ready to take over 100% of our midfield at the mo. I would play one of them in the midfield, and keep the other two on the bench for rotation.

Sure, in a coppa game, we could try something like this.

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

Fiji

Quote Originally Posted by Bluenine View Post
    Guys, I am all for a youth project, but we are also Inter and should be at least trying for a CL spot. A midfield of Duncan-Benassi-Kovacic will not get you there. You need some quality experience along with talented youth if you want to achieve your objectives. Else you also risk destroying the young talent - these kids are not ready to take over 100% of our midfield at the mo...
    I see exactly where you're coming from, but I personally disagree about your thoughts about a youth dominated midfield.

Kovacic needs experience, and especially his passing repertoire will be simply elemental for Inter next year and many years after that. He's already been playing for the Croatia NT, and clearly he has the skills to be a consistent starter.

Duncan has simply been a revelation for Livorno in Serie B this season, and not using him next year will be a waste and a shame. He's excelled in the second division, and his performances have proven his ability to do well in Serie A.

Look at Marco Sau, Mattia Perin, and Lorenzo Insigne, for example. Their success in Serie B has shown their potential and the importance of playing them. Those three are obviously Serie A material, confirmed by their past accomplishments in the second tier of Italian football.

Duncan HAS to play regularly next season.

One thing Inter tends to do is undervalue our youth program. I brought up the examples of Ajax and Borussia Dortmund to substantiate my claim; both bring in lots of players from the u20 squad and are doing well in their own respective leagues, as well as in Europe, even though Inter has a stronger Primavera.

Ajax has brought in players from their 2011-12 u20 squad (that Inter confidently defeated in the Next Gen final) like Davy Klassen and Viktor Fischer, who have both frequently started many matches. We have a lot of talent especially in the midfield that is pouring out of the Primavera, with the likes of Bessa, Duncan, Benassi, Del Piero, and Olsen.

With Benassi, we've seen what he's able to do in the matches he's played in; again, his distribution is simply killer, and his tackling just needs to find some consistency, which will undoubtedly arrive very soon. A major problem management seems to ignore is the lack of minutes to our younger players; when Alvarez started to be given more starts and much more minutes, his performances improved because he was given chances to showcase his talent, and his confidence additionally developed.

Daniel Bessa and Lorenzo Crisetig are imo also talents that must not be let go. The former was incredibly influential in the Primavera's capture of the Trofeo Giacinto Facchetti and the Next Gen title; he needs to be played.

The only way the young talent will be destroyed is with underplaying them and ruining their potential to deliver.

Anyways, thanks for the comment, and opinions are always welcome.

Old name
    browha

Europe

I disagree that they are obviously Serie A potential.

Perin's team just got relegated, Insigne has played like 8 games all season?

You need to phase in the development of most of the best talent - only the truly exceptional will come in and excel. Even then, people like Kovacic have developed for 2 years before moving to Italy.

Also, your line up (imho) is way too young. It might work in Serie B for example, but physically the players j ust arent that developed.

Duncan can probably cope on this level - no contest - but I dont see how anyone expects Crisetig to impose himself. He's not "that" good on the ball, and he lacks stature. He's just going to get muscled off at every opportunity.

There's a lot of talent there, but even me - a huge primavera fan - thinks most of them need a couple of years to develop.

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

Fiji

Quote Originally Posted by browha View Post
    ... Perin's team just got relegated, Insigne has played like 8 games all season? ...
    Pescara has the worst defense in the league, and Perin's given some pretty memorable performances against big teams in the league like Fiorentina. Insigne should be played in Napoli much more; he's a real talent, and its a shame that he isn't getting starts.

... Duncan can probably cope on this level - no contest - but I dont see how anyone expects Crisetig to impose himself. He's not "that" good on the ball, and he lacks stature. He's just going to get muscled off at every opportunity ...
    On Crisetig, you're probably right, but I'd like for him to get some minutes in Inter, because he has very good passing and positional technique, and I'd like to see his chemistry with some of our younger midfield players a year after being on a Serie B loan. The best thing for him (imho), however, is a Serie A loan so that he can develop his physicality, which is undeniably important in Serie A.

... There's a lot of talent there, but even me - a huge primavera fan - thinks most of them need a couple of years to develop ...
    You have an incredibly valid point, but I would just love to see a midfield with Benassi, Kovacic, Bessa, and Duncan next year; I really think it would do well, and certainly they are all much better players than Schelotto, Mudingayi, Gargano, or Kuzmanovic (Bessa's consistency is my only doubt, which is why I suggested getting Pizarro on a bosman transfer). Certainly Duncan, Kova, and Benassi should be ready though.

All that being said, my midfield dream will probably come true in 2-3 years, but I simply cannot wait.

Again, thanks for the response to my articles.

Old name
    browha

Europe

Oh I would love to see that midfield too, but they're just not ready for it.

If groomed (!) correctly we can see that in a few years time certainly.

One of the biggest steps up for any player is actually the muscle building. You can have all the flair in the world, but if you arent strong enough, you're ruined - look at Coutinho's first year for a perfect example.

Benassi needs to flesh out a bit more, but I think - if given reasonable amount of time next season - he can do it at Inter, rather than elsewhere. Duncan I would love to have available for us next season, and Kova i dont think anyone would doubt.

Bessa needs a lot of muscle work, he has all the talent, and I dont worry about consistency (just return to form), but muscle work is there. On the plus side, fleshing out a bit you can do just by going to the gym. You dont really need to be at a Serie A club for that.

Personally, I'd love to see Crisetig and Bessa certainly at a Serie B club next year, playing week in week out. They need the chance to flesh out, gain confidence, and get experience. A mid tier Serie B club is perfect for that.

11. Thanks (1): pencilpal

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

Fiji

Formations updated using FIF tags

Fav. Player
    Burdisso

Canada

16 FIF Special Ones Forum Supporter Most Stubborn Poster Most Pessimistic Member
    None of these teams you posted there would even survive relegation... and it's not because you've thrown 11 youngsters, some of which are barely decent Serie B players together, but it's stupid and not how a youth project is supposed to work.
    Best match thread opener ever.

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

Fiji

I'll respect your opinion regarding my ideas. However, I just want to take a look at your logic and compare it with one of my formations, the second (4-5-1).

<br />
0 0 0 Palacio 0 0 0<br />
Gomez 0 0 0 0 0 Alvarez<br />
0 0 Benassi 0 Kovacic 0 0<br />
0 0 0 Duncan 0 0 0<br />
0 0 0 0 0 0 0<br />
Biraghi 0 Juan 0 Ranocchia 0 Peruzzi<br />
0 0 0 0 0 0 0<br />
      Handanovic<br />

Quote Originally Posted by Nyall View Post
    ... some of which are barely decent Serie B players together ...
    Biraghi and Duncan are the only players from Serie B on this lineup, and they are both excelling at Citadella and Livorno respectively. I don't think you watch many Serie B games to make that statement.

But regardless lets analyze this formation piece by piece.

Rano and JJ are good.
    Peruzzi is doing incredibly well in Argentina with Velez and the NT and Biraghi is playing quite well in the second division; both of these players performances show that they are quite ready for Serie A and will do well in the league.

Duncan is ready for Serie A and consistent first team action, no doubt.
    Kovacic is a brilliant player, and certainly he will only get better and better.
    Benassi's done very well so far in the first team, and has shown that he is both killer at distribution and resilience in defence. As Browha pointed out, he needs to develop physically, and I personally believe he can definitely do it here at Inter.

Alvarez is a great player; its clear that the only thing he needs are minutes, and when he has been given them, he's delivered quite well, even in the unfamiliar position of central striker. Alejandro Gomez has played sensationally for Catania, and he will be a wonderful asset (given that we aren't beaten to his signature by Atletico Madrid).

Lastly but not least, Rodrigo Palacio has truly prevented our fall to relegation this year. We can probably get one or two more years of valiant goalscoring from him, but in that time, there must be a proper transition of starting places for younger strikers like Icardi and Longo.

I also mention Bessa in some of the other formations, mainly because he has real talent, and I think he has the ability to play in Serie A, with the precedent of Ajax and Dortmund players from the 2011-12 Next Gen series who have become starters for their teams (like Davy Klassen and Viktor Fischer). Likely one year of further development in Serie A is important for completely adapting to the professional leagues, which is why I suggested a bosman transfer for David Pizarro to fill his place in the formations I posted above.

As I have said twice before, one thing Inter tends to do is severely underrate our youth program, which is the best in Italy.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyall View Post
    ... it's stupid and not how a youth project is supposed to work ...
    On how the youth project is supposed to work, the end result is a younger starting lineup. I think that the formation I posted above would probably be in Europa League spots next year, maybe on the fringe of a Champions league spot, but the year after, we'll have a shot at domestic glory and the top 3 spots.
    Last edited by pencilpal; 11 May 13 at 07:03.

Fav. Player
    Zanetti

England

Most Serious Member Transfer Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by pencilpal View Post
    I'll respect your opinion regarding my ideas. However, I just want to take a look at your logic and compare it with one of my formations, the second (4-5-1).

<br />
0 0 Benassi 0 Kovacic 0 0<br />
0 0 0 Duncan 0 0 0<br />
0 0 0 0 0 0 0<br />
Biraghi 0 Juan 0 Ranocchia 0 Peruzzi<br />
0 0 0 0 0 0 0<br />
      Handanovic<br />

Biraghi and Duncan are the only players from Serie B on this lineup, and they are both excelling at Citadella and Livorno respectively. I don't think you watch many Serie B games to make that statement.
    Dude, that's your best starting line for Inter? Nothing wrong with the talent, but your entire midfield has negligible Serie A experience. These are kids who could benefit from playing alongside experienced players. Then in the defense you have Biraghi, Juan and Peruzzi. Come on, this team will get butchered over an entire Serie A season, and it will take a good coach to make this team survive relegation. When you play Kovacic with Gargano+Guarin, Kovacic's lack of physicality is not exposed. But if you play Kovacic with Benassi and Duncan, the lack of physicality in all three will be badly exposed. Worse still, you have the likes of Biraghi & Peruzzi giving cover! This will end really badly, and will not do any good for the development of these players...

Its not about the potential talent of these players, its about experience and physical buildup. The right way to give these kids exposure is to play them alongside experienced stars for a year or two, let them learn how to cope with the physicality of Serie A, and then they may get ready. Juan benefited greatly by playing alongside Samuel (and Thiago at Brazil). But if at the start of this season Strama had made Juan+Pasa start all games, not only would we have got raped, but also we would have risked destroying Juan.

This is what I, Browha and Nyall have been trying to explain above. I want all the players in your line up to be a part of our squad next season - there is no argument there - but I would also like them to be gradually developed into starters... lets teach each baby how to walk one by one holding their hands, lets not throw all the babies out of their pram together.

Old name
    browha

Europe

I could accept:

<br />
0 0 0 Milito 0 0 0<br />
Gomez 0 0 0 0 0 Palacio<br />
0 0 0 0 0 0 0<br />
0 0 Nainggolan 0 Guarin 0 0<br />
0 0 0 0 0 0 0<br />
Nagatomo 0 Juan 0 Ranocchia 0 Peruzzi<br />
0 0 0 0 0 0 0<br />
Handanovic<br />

<br />
0 0 0 Icardi 0 0 0<br />
Botta 0 0 0 0 0 Alvarez<br />
0 0 0 0 0 0 0<br />
0 0 Laxalt 0 Kuzmanovic 0 0<br />
0 0 0 0 0 0 0<br />
Biraghi 0 Caldirola 0 Campagnaro 0 MBaye<br />
0 0 0 0 0 0 0<br />
Carrizo<br />

that's 22, +4 others = Belec, Andreolli, Obi, Longo

- - - Updated - - -

just out of interest, perhaps a bit rude, but how old are you?

i ask only because your line ups there are like what I do on football manager... average age 21 sell anyone over 25 for profits

Fav. Player
    4 & 10

Bosnia Herzegovina

35 10 years of FIF
    Quote Originally Posted by pencilpal View Post

#1: 4-2-3-1

<br />
0 0 0 Icardi 0 0 0<br />
0 Gomez 0 0 0 Alvarez 0<br />
0 0 0 Bessa 0 0 0<br />
0 0 Duncan 0 Benassi 0 0<br />
0 0 0 0 0 0 0<br />
Mbaye 0 Juan 0 Ranocchia 0 Peruzzi<br />
0 0 0 0 0 0 0<br />
      Handanovic<br />
    I realy had a good wish to read that long post (I love fantasy formation posts) but you managed to throw out Kovačić from your first team and you didn't brougth Xavi, Iniesta, Ozil, Gerard ...

Than I stoped with reading ...
    ... “Every time I see Walter Mazzarri’s Press conferences I have this doubt: Is he really such an idiot or does he just think we all are?”

Parma team manager Sandro Melli

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

Fiji

Quote Originally Posted by Hasan View Post
    I realy had a good wish to read that long post (I love fantasy formation posts) but you managed to throw out Kovačić from your first team and you didn't brougth Xavi, Iniesta, Ozil, Gerard ...

Than I stoped with reading ...
    I presented 5 other formations, most with Kovacic in the starting lineup.

- - - Updated - - -

Reply to Bluenine:

Your points on my commentary are all quite acceptable, but sadly they don't consider what I said in the writeup, only what is reflected by the formation images.

I think that your main concern is the lack of experience and physicality in the defence and the midfield.

The attack is okay because it retains both of these qualities.

Its important to realize that I strongly suggested alternating players in the squad frequently, and also purchasing a new DM and AM if my suggested midfields don't work, and also for alternation purposes. Furthermore, I then posed the option of loaning out some of the younger players in the squad if they don't play well in the first half of next season at Inter.

Personally I think that Duncan is ready for Serie A and can succeed in the league, but I can accept the possibility of his unreadiness for consistent first team action. For that reason, I suggested acquiring Etienne Capoue or Lucas Biglia, both hard tackling defensive midfielders with cultured ranges of passing to play in Duncan's place. Additionally, while I want Benassi to stay at Inter, "flesh out" here, and receive a considerable amount of minutes, he should be alternated with another player. David Pizarro was my choice, because of his valuable experience in Serie A, his obvious passing abilities, and the ability to get him on a bosman transfer. We need to play calm, possession football, and these lineups allow for that option; playing Kuzmanovic, Gargano, and Guarin will not allow us to play that kind of football well.

On Kova: I think he should be a starter, because the only way he will gain experience is if he plays. Like Benassi, he can "flesh out" here at Inter, so I don't think that's a problem.

A midfield with Kova, Capoue/Biglia, and Pizarro has a good amount of physicality, experience, and talent. Something I mentioned throughout the post was that we need to alternate players, and I think Duncan and Benassi could be frequent substitutes for Inter. Also, Browha pointed out that fleshing out only requires a gym, so with proper minutes, and access to a gym, they can be certainly ready for consistent first team action next year.

You expressed more discontent with the fullback selection of Biraghi and Peruzzi, lamenting on their abilities to defend, though our current selection of fullbacks are definitely worse at defending (Naga, Jonathan, Pereira, etc.). I don't think there is an issue with those two in defence, and in Part 1 of this writeup, I admitted a possibility that they aren't ready, going on to note a need for a new FB, with my desired targets being Bastian Oczipa and Erik Pieters.

We even have an experienced CB partner in Campagnaro to help with Juan or Rano, although I think they should be starters together in the four man defence.

The final lineup would look something like this with the suggestions I originally made in the writeup:

<br />
0 0 Pizarro 0 Kova/Bena 0 0<br />
0 0 0 Capoue 0 0 0<br />
0 0 0 0 0 0 0<br />
Biraghi 0 Campagnaro 0 Ranocchia 0 Peruzzi<br />
0 0 0 0 0 0 0<br />
      Handanovic<br />

Hopefully I'm not sounding arrogant in this posts, but I can't verbalize how much I really value these critical replies to my ideas.

- - - Updated - - -

... just out of interest, perhaps a bit rude, but how old are you?

i ask only because your line ups there are like what I do on football manager... average age 21 sell anyone over 25 for profits
    It's not rude at all to ask. I'm 20 years old at the moment, and I think young lineups are the best lineups, because over time a chemistry will develop, and if they are good at a young age, they'll only get better and better as they uncover their potential.

Nevertheless, there are sad cases (like with Recoba) where potential isn't fully converted because of injuries and such.

Last edited by pencilpal; 12 May 13 at 07:17.

Fav. Player
    4 & 10

Bosnia Herzegovina

35 10 years of FIF
    That shit becoming less and less serious. What a hell 34 yrs old Pizzaro doing in our team? LoooooooooL!
    ... “Every time I see Walter Mazzarri’s Press conferences I have this doubt: Is he really such an idiot or does he just think we all are?”

Parma team manager Sandro Melli

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

Fiji

Hmmm...

I'm beginning to see the problems in my formations, from the abundance of underdeveloped youngsters to the presence of someone like Pizarro, but I think I have a final formation.
    Last edited by pencilpal; 13 May 13 at 06:31.

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

Fiji

New formation

Updated
    Last edited by pencilpal; 13 May 13 at 06:52.

Fav. Player
    Icardi

Saint Kitts Nevis Anguilla

4-3-3

Nani/Sanchez---Milito/Icardi---Palacio

----Modric/Fabregas/Nasri---Kovacic--Fernando/Song--

Campagnaro---Rano---Juan---Nagatomo

--------------------Handanovic-------------------

Nani/Sanchez/Robben : 20 M
    new DM Fernando/Song : 10 M
    New Mr. X playmaker : Modric,Fabregas,Nasri : 30 M

Total budget for 2013 - 2014 : 60 M

:genius:

Fav. Player
    Kovacic

Macau

57 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF Best Overall Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by b4h4mooth View Post
    4-3-3

Nani/Sanchez---Milito/Icardi---Palacio

----Modric/Fabregas/Nasri---Kovacic--Fernando/Song--

Campagnaro---Rano---Juan---Nagatomo

--------------------Handanovic-------------------

Nani/Sanchez/Robben : 20 M
    new DM Fernando/Song : 10 M
    New Mr. X playmaker : Modric,Fabregas,Nasri : 30 M

Total budget for 2013 - 2014 : 60 M

:genius:
    60M plus the players we've already purchased....totally affordable
    Quote Originally Posted by DM_ View Post
    Then we'll just buy the federation and create our own rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pimpin View Post
    I dont think juventus are willing to sell

24. Thanks (3): .h., b4h4mooth, Fitzy