Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Retired Jersey Numbers

Fav. Player
    J. Zanetti, Fig

Retired Jersey Numbers

AC Milan has retired the number 3 to Paolo Maldini (meaning no other player can ever wear no.3 for Milan) and the number 6 had previously been retired to Franco Baresi, I believe.

Why hasn't Inter retired any numbers to players? Haven't we ever had any players worth retiring a number for?

Maybe number 4 will be retired to J.Z but this seems very unlikely to me.

Do any of you think Inter has had any players worthy of having their number retired?

I can't think of any. I wish we had someone like Paolo Maldini who stayed with us for 20 years and was one of the world's best players at the same time.

Fav. Player
    El Principe

Italy

FIF Special Ones 10 years of FIF
    I think we should have retired jersey No 2 when Bergomi retired. Then again, Cordoba got it and now he's another Inter legend.

I think it would be great to retire no 4 after Javier goes. Apart from that, I wouldn't do anything else.
    22/04/07 15th
    18/05/08 16th
    16/05/09 17th
    16/05/10 18th
    22/05/10 CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE
    18/12/10 WORLD CHAMPIONS
    29/08/09 Milan 0 Inter 4 Thiago Motta, Milito (p), Maicon, Stankovic - Dominated and outclassed
    Materazzi World Champion

Fav. Player
    Milito

Hong Kong

81 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    I don't think we will do that, unless we win a treble with JZ next season

I think the whole idea of clearing numbers blows... Silly.
    Juventus: 29 Scudetti

Inter: 13 Scudetti

Indonesia

10 years of FIF
    The no '4' should be retired, whether we win anything with J. Zanetti or not. He's a legend.
    Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica.

Indonesia

32 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF Most Important Member
    As much as I like Javier Zanetti, oh my God I don't believe I'll say this, but he to Inter is not even close to what Paolo Maldini or Franco Baresi is to AC Milan. I think retiring a jersey number should really be reserves to a very special occasion. Perhaps only to a player who was brought up through the club's academy ranks, has been here ever since (loans when he's in the academy excluded) and has won many trophies.

Hence, I don't think Javier Zanetti fits that category. Believe me when I say that I am confident that I am one of his biggest fan in this world but I think retiring a jersey number is a very big deal and should be specially reserved to an immortal icon.

I agree with Frisko that number 2 should have been retired in respect to Il Zio but thankfully, it was handed to a worthy successor in Ivan Cordoba. The same thing should be done with Zanetti's number. Hopefully, we can choose the correct player to continue number 4's legacy.

Handyo

If anyone should get his number reserved in our club it should be Giuseppe Meazza.
    Juventus: 29 Scudetti

Inter: 13 Scudetti

Fav. Player
    Cordoba

Belgium

Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    Maybe in 10 years time we can think about that for Oba
    Due to the changes in the management team, we had to adopt a new domain name !

www.forzainterforums.com

Fav. Player
    Ronnie , L'Impe

Quote Originally Posted by Gismo
    If anyone should get his number reserved in our club it should be Giuseppe Meazza.
    i agree with u ...
    Interistoo 4Life ... Just Death Seperates Me and BlacknBLue Flag

Fav. Player
    J. Zanetti, Fig

Well Giuseppe Meazza didn't get a number retired for him but he did get the stadium named after him.

What number did he wear, out of curiosity?

Quote Originally Posted by scutzon
    The no '4' should be retired, whether we win anything with J. Zanetti or not. He's a legend.
    I also think inter should retired no.4 , why do we retire the jersey?because J.z make a great contribution to inter.he is a legend.the loyalty to inter!

in Chinese Nerazzurri website,we surveyed the same topic.the result is that the no.4 jersey should be retired.I think the mangement should consider the suggestion carefully.

we love you ,J.Z the captain of inter.
    Forza inter!

Greece

10 years of FIF
    No we cannot drop any jersey numbers. We always buy new players and if there weren't enough "real" numbers(like 4, 10, 11) then our new players would wear numbers like 25 and 36 and it wouldn't look nice
    By dropping numbers we don't do any favour to the past players since in 20 years time not many would know who played or not in our club... We just have to remember the players by the old-fashionned way, our current one.

I think numbers 8 and 11 should be retired beacause of Davids and Mihajlovic.

Indonesia

10 years of FIF
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari
    I think numbers 8 and 11 should be retired beacause of Davids and Mihajlovic.
    Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica.

I think rather than aping our cross town rivals we should pass on the legacy of great jerseys ... let the magic rub off on the next generation ... may God grant us a 100 Capitano's in No. 4 jerseys and a 100 Bergomi's in No. 2 for years to come ... Its a legacy to be passed on ... not one to be ended ... Forza Nerazzurri ...
    When The Going Gets Tough ... We\'ll Together Survive The INTERbulent Storms ... May The Madonnina Smile Upon Us.

The fact that le merde introduced this vogue into Italy is a good reason for us to steer well clear of it.

No way does Javier Zanetti merit this form of recognition. The fact that he has remained captain of Inter for so long is one of our major problems.
    Meglio sconfitti che milanisti

Fav. Player
    J. Zanetti, Fig

Quote Originally Posted by Orgoglio Bauscia
    The fact that le merde introduced this vogue into Italy is a good reason for us to steer well clear of it.

No way does Javier Zanetti merit this form of recognition. The fact that he has remained captain of Inter for so long is one of our major problems.
    why is it one of our major problems?

Quote Originally Posted by primo-inter

why is it one of our major problems?
    Do you really think Zanetti is an inspirational captain capable of motivating his team mates and commanding their undivided loyalty?

Has been a great player for us but a mediocre captain. Zaccheroni and Mancini have both toyed with the idea of taking the captaincy away from Zanetti but haven't had the guts to do so.

I think we'll see a change of captain next season. Cambiasso will take over.

Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    Its a shame to see that although you are living in Italy yet you have not figured out rule # 1 when it comes to choose a captain. Have a go at it, and you may figure it out! ;-)
    As for Cambiasso although he is a great player/fighter he still have 2-3 players ahead of him.
    Noi non siamo gobbi ba$tardi

"In un mondo di puttane e oportunisti noi avevamo scelto la migliore; Addio Traditore!"

R.I.P Cipe

Quote Originally Posted by J zanetti
    Its a shame to see that although you are living in Italy yet you have not figured out rule # 1 when it comes to choose a captain. Have a go at it, and you may figure it out! ;-)
    As for Cambiasso although he is a great player/fighter he still have 2-3 players ahead of him.
    Please tell me your rule # 1 for choosing a captain. I'd be interested to hear it.

Don't come out with any nonsense about longest serving player or whatever as that is not a binding rule. Never heard of the club captain/team captain distinction?

If I have to listen to any more of that "we're sorry for the fans, we've got to stick together and look forward" crap I think I'll throw up.