Thread: Incredible enviroment in Argentina's Superclásico: Boca Juniors 1 - River Plate 1

431 times
    Fav. Player
    Palacio; Samuel

Incredible enviroment in Argentina's Superclásico: Boca Juniors 1 - River Plate 1

I was navigating in this forum, and i noticed that there were't any videos about this amazing event, so I wanted to make a thread about it. Now, you may not see a well-played match, with a lot of goals and shots. But you will see something that is not seen everyday. I'm talking about THE party that Boca Juniors' fans made that day, it seemed like Boca had won the championship (Boca is actually 19th). People don't care in which position is Boca, or the result of the match, they are always singing, it's amazing. What I'm about to show you, justifies the fact that in April 2004, the English newspaper The Observer put the Superclásico at the top of their list of "50 sporting things you must do before you die", saying that "Derby day in Buenos Aires makes the Old Firm game look like a primary school kick-about."

The thing is, it was the first time River was playing at La Bombonera since they were relegated to 2nd Division, so Boca's fans were ready to make fun of them. So, one or two months earlier, "La 12" (the "barra brava", it's like the english hooligans) invented a song specially for this ocasion. The song says:

(Rhythm: Bad Moon Rising - Creedence Clearwater Revival)
    River decime que se siente... ♪
    Haber jugado el Nacional... ♫
    Te juro que aunque pasen los años... ♪
    Nunca nos vamos a olvidar... ♫

Que te fuistes a la B ♪
    Quemaste el Monumental ♫
    Esa mancha no se borra nunca mas... ♪

Che gallina sos cagón ♫
    Le pegaste a un jugador ♪
    qué cobardes los Borrachos del tablón... ♫
    I translated it for you:

River tell me how it feels... ♪
    To have plaayed in the Second Division... ♫
    I swear that even as the years pass... ♪
    We're never going to forgeet... ♫

That you were in the B,
    you burned the Monumental,
    that stain will never be lifted... ♫

Hey chicken you are a wimp,
    you punched a player,
    How coward are the Borrachos del Tablón... ♪
    Things you should know:
    1. Primera B Nacional is the Second Division in Argentina. (that's why "you were in the B")
    2. When River played the "Promotion" in 2011, in the first match, some fans managed to enter the field, and threaten some players (that's why "you punched a player"). In the second match, with River losing the match, people destroyed their own stadium (that's why "you burned the Monumental, their stadium).
    3. The "barra brava" of River is called "Los Borrachos del Tablón" (don't know the exact meaning in english, i think it's the bar's drunk people, or something like that)
    4. River Plate fans are usually called "gallinas" (spanish word for "chicken"), the story is long, but it started one day when River was winning a Final match vs Peñarol from Uruguay 2-0, and finally lost 2-4.

The song was SO perfect, and the lyrics were SO good, that people loved it, and learned it very quickly.

Here I leave you the videos, when the people start singing this song, the "party" starts, all 60.000 people singing this song, it's amazing. And it happened in the middle of the match, the score was 1-1, Boca was not winning.
    You will never see this enviroment in any other part of the world, with any other derby. (If you see some people dressed like a ghost with a B in their chest, it's because the "B's ghost", to make fun of River. )

Here it's how TV show it

Here it's how it was seen from one side:

Here it's how it was seen from the opposite side:

Here it's how it was seen from other side:

And here, in front of the previous video:

As you can see, the match was stopped about 15 minutes because of this, people were really crazy, jumping, and singing, and waving their arms, it's something unique.

Finally, i could not go away without the video of the 2 goals of the match, here they are:

I hope you enjoyed it, and learned a little more of Argentinian football, from where a lot of Inter's players came from.
    Last edited by R.Palacio8; 12 Jun 13 at 02:46. Reason: Added "Things you should know" 4.

1,287 times
    Fav. Player

I dont think some people here know the extent of passion that people have for football here in South America. Good Thread.

3. Thanks (2): Black Jesus, R.Palacio8