Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Rant against the desperate hunt for money

  1. #1
    Tanel's Avatar
    Join Date
    11 Jul 05
    Posts
    4,702
    Thanked
    1,770 times

    Estonia

    10 years of FIF

    Rant against the desperate hunt for money

    Who on earth would want to invest in Inter managed by Massimo Moratti and his partners, while he remains in full control. He would have to be a person who is just as stupid as they.

    Ever since the start of this new era, we've started working at the wrong angles. For us, the main goal right now seems to be to bring more money into the club.

    But let's ask ourselves: why do we need more money? Because we throw it away. We've been throwing it away for nearly 20 years.

    Yes, they are cutting wages, but they are still incredibly ridiculous in management of available funds. Same applies for pretty much all of the top clubs in the world. The more money there seems to be, the more ineffective teams become.

    We are magnified version of it - with our president that was born with a silver spoon in his mouth and a sporting director, or whatever his title is, who was a footballer, a job that more often than not goes hand in hand with being an ignorant twat, who thinks at high school level of sophistication.

    The most catastrophic part of it all is the wage management in this club, and again, in pretty much all top football clubs.

    The laziness in contract negotiations (constant doubling or tripling of player wages as soon as they arrive), in finding of alternative targets (which leads to bloated transfer fees) and in-existent fair assessment of own players (overpaying wages, not selling when the time is right for it) is what causes this massive wage bill. Not to mention making no use of youth players and using them simply as bargaining chips - I'm not asking to make a 18 year old our starting defender, but make a fucking effort to get him into place where he gets better experience.

    The fair assessment of own players is a particularly annoying problem which even fans struggle with. So often club gets attached to certain individuals because of certain events that they become unable to judge whether we could sell a player & get rid of his wage and find a replacement of same quality with less wages & less of a transfer fee. And don't come crying about loyalty as we all know what usually happens as soon as the club offers wage that is not as high as the player expected.

    Football is abundant with talent nowadays as the sport is being developed to higher degree all around the world, not just South America and the usual European regions. There is almost always a better and cheaper option out there.

    Dortmund finished Champions League finalists with roughly 2/3 of our wage budget, Udinese achieves same level of results as us with 1/5 of the wage budget and Napoli finished comfortable second in our league while spending basically 50% of our wage budget (before we sold Sneijder).

    In current climate, we should stop trying desperately to be the classic, in-effective top club: the one that buys players with 20-30 million euros and gives them massive wages. We need to buy cheap and most importantly, play tough in wage negotiations, not let agents sit on our ahead. If they prefer to go to Russia and play for 2x wages, then please, go ahead - such players clearly don't care much for what they'll achieve in their career and are therefore high risk, little gain signings anyway.

    If anyone says that you cannot achieve a top club without paying crazy wages, then he lacks imagination. With hard work and proper system behind the club, it's not impossible as the teams I named above have already shown.

    There's so many models we can find and adapt our own approach from as we have more than enough funds to do it better than clubs that have enjoyed incredible amounts of success with very limited budgets:

    1. Firstly we should try to achieve in Italy the same system that is in Spain. We need to push FIGC in order to get an Inter B into the Serie B. That way we don't have to send our best talents like Bessa into Serie B relegation fighters who have to prefer the experience of Tiribocchi in desperate fight to stay up, while our player vegetates on the bench, getting even worse experience than he would've, if he had stayed with the first team here. This leads them to become more ready for top level football so that we can keep them with our first team squad or send them on loan to top divisions or achieve a better platform for selling them.

    2. Secondly, we need to take a lesson from Udinese. We need to build a system where we own at least a squad full of talented or cheap underrated players who we have sent on loan to good level clubs throughout Europe, including Italy. One top club is already using a similar system and that is Chelsea, who has partnership with Vitesse, who are, if I'm not mistaken, owned by friend of Abramovich. And so far it has proven to be very much mutually beneficial. This would enable us to more easily adapt in situations where we get a high value offer for some of our current squad players or when some players start asking for ridicilous wages. In addition we would have the ability to sign players even if there is no free spot in the team or we think that he is not quite ready yet for our first team.

    3. Thirdly, take a basic stock market lesson from the Portuguese football clubs like Porto and Benfica. Buy low, sell high. We need to work hard to find those underrated players or undiscovered jewels, players from clubs that are often not the first or even second place to look for players. And this is where the Udinese-type system would help to make sure that these players, if they are not ready for us but have the talent, will get playing time elsewhere. As for selling, with few exceptions, for people like Zanetti and people with reasonable salary who are very hard to replace, every player should be sold as soon as we think that he has reached his peak value or he is asking for wage that is out of proportion with that of potential replacements, obviously keeping in mind that we shouldn't make too many big changes every summer.

    Once we have achieved a model that is profitable and able to deliver great results even with 60-80 million euro wage budget, then we can say that okay, let's now look for how we can increase our budgets. And maybe we wouldn't even have to look for foreign investors and rather sell stocks to our fans, which would in turn also increase the bond between the fans and the club.
    Check my Downfall parody of Inter transfer summer 2011: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGoSfx-3x8Q

    My review of current Inter: http://forzainterforums.com/showthre...703#post862703

    My new website: http://footballsnewtalent.wordpress.com/

  2. Thanks (1): Handoyo

  3. #2
    .h.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    08 Jun 05
    Posts
    19,409
    Thanked
    19,134 times
    Old name
    browha

    Europe

    25 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    what sums it up for me basically is how short-sighted it has always been

    Sell Eto'o because we need the money. =20mil saving a season. we miss out on the CL because of him = 30 mil loss a season.

  4. Thanks (1): Handoyo

  5. #3
    Wobblz's Avatar
    Join Date
    05 Aug 12
    Posts
    5,448
    Thanked
    7,033 times
    Fav. Player
    Baggio

    Bulgaria

    33
    Quote Originally Posted by browha View Post
    what sums it up for me basically is how short-sighted it has always been

    Sell Eto'o because we need the money. =20mil saving a season. we miss out on the CL because of him = 30 mil loss a season.
    Well, the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

    Great article, puts things in perspective.

  6. #4
    Besnik's Avatar
    Join Date
    03 Mar 09
    Posts
    12,328
    Thanked
    2,485 times



    Quote Originally Posted by Wobblz View Post
    Well, the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

    Great article, puts things in perspective.
    come on, that was way over the line

    Eto'o had a fantastic last season with us, but saying that we missed on CL because of him is abysmal

    over the recent years (after the 2010 treble season) we had a lot issues, i mean we only went downhill slowly, by players departures and not replacing them properly, changing coaches like hell, management changes ect ect, and feels like all the changes we made were negatives ones.
    Massimo Moratti: "Javier Zanetti ha sempre onorato la maglia e ci ha sempre fatto sentire fieri di essere interisti"

  7. #5
    .h.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    08 Jun 05
    Posts
    19,409
    Thanked
    19,134 times
    Old name
    browha

    Europe

    25 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    please explain how
    because as far as i can see, we replaced a strker who scored 37 goals with two who scored like 4. If you dont think that has anything to do with missing out on the CL you need your head checked

  8. #6
    Besnik's Avatar
    Join Date
    03 Mar 09
    Posts
    12,328
    Thanked
    2,485 times



    Quote Originally Posted by browha View Post
    please explain how
    because as far as i can see, we replaced a strker who scored 37 goals with two who scored like 4. If you dont think that has anything to do with missing out on the CL you need your head checked
    this is not an individual sport you know.. and i already said that we sold players and didn't replaced them properly so that includes eto'os departure with others, but he's not the ONLY reason that we failed to play in CL, like i said we had alot issues, get over with it because your point was laughable
    Massimo Moratti: "Javier Zanetti ha sempre onorato la maglia e ci ha sempre fatto sentire fieri di essere interisti"

  9. #7
    .h.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    08 Jun 05
    Posts
    19,409
    Thanked
    19,134 times
    Old name
    browha

    Europe

    25 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    Quote Originally Posted by Besnik View Post
    this is not an individual sport you know.. and i already said that we sold players and didn't replaced them properly so that includes eto'os departure with others, but he's not the ONLY reason that we failed to play in CL, like i said we had alot issues, get over with it because your point was laughable


    Hardly. Eto'o clearly carried the team in 2010-2011 - to sell our best player was just fucking stupid. For the want of a 10 million book profit + 20m/season wage savings. Guess how else we could have made that? Selling Maicon or Sneijder and releasing Stankovic/Chivu/etc.

    Instead, no, they sold our best player.


    There are thousands of reasons we DIDNT play in the CL, but that was one of our own doing. The sale of Eto'o was snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. Get over it, your point is retarded.

  10. Thanks (1): Pajo

  11. #8
    Besnik's Avatar
    Join Date
    03 Mar 09
    Posts
    12,328
    Thanked
    2,485 times



    Fuck off. You said we missed on CL because of him and that sounds as if football was an individual sport, just lol

    We sold him and didnt replced him properly that is a fact, but you're overrecting like a bitch, so quit doing that
    Massimo Moratti: "Javier Zanetti ha sempre onorato la maglia e ci ha sempre fatto sentire fieri di essere interisti"

  12. #9
    .h.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    08 Jun 05
    Posts
    19,409
    Thanked
    19,134 times
    Old name
    browha

    Europe

    25 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    Quote Originally Posted by Besnik View Post
    Fuck off. You said we missed on CL because of him and that sounds as if football was an individual sport, just lol

    We sold him and didnt replced him properly that is a fact, but you're overrecting like a bitch, so quit doing that
    LOL

    As if football was an individual sport? Tell that to Ronaldo, or Messi, or Ibrahimovic.

    Eto'o CARRIED us in 10/11 - he scored 37 goals. Do you know who came 2nd to him? Pazzini on 11. Eto'o also had the most assists - with 17 - next closes was sneijder on 11. That's 54 goals/assists for Eto'o, sneijder on 18. Dont you even fucking DARE tell me Eto'o didn't carry us.

    So shut your mouth and stop being so fucking facepalm - and admit to the fact that Eto'o completely carried us that season, and selling him was the SOLE reason for going from a club in the CL to a club NOT in the CL.


  13. Thanks (2): wera, William

  14. #10
    William's Avatar
    Join Date
    18 Jun 10
    Posts
    3,779
    Thanked
    1,207 times
    Fav. Player
    Il Capitano

    Europe

    Forum Supporter
    Sadly, it's a true story Bes, without Eto'o the 2010/11 season we would have been a joke. Don't get me wrong there were games where the team won the game and Eto'o wasn't involved but during that season we relied on Eto'o far too heavily.

  15. #11
    Besnik's Avatar
    Join Date
    03 Mar 09
    Posts
    12,328
    Thanked
    2,485 times



    But I never said Eto'o didn't carried the team, of course he did, just like Ibra for couple of seasons. Back then we exchanged Ibra for Eto'o plus cash, well the point is that we replaced him perfectly (even better than expected maybe). However we replaced Eto'o with Forlan who had a fantastic world cup and who hardly someone thought that he would be such a flop in here

    So who's to blame that we missed on CL last season then? Of course poor coach, players inconsistency, injuries and whatnot. There's just more than only one player excuse in this matter. And besides Eto'os last season was phenomenal which I would bet everything that he wouldn't repeat the same stats, not even close actually, that was just unbelievable, something which happens once in a while

    Again, credit where its due, his last season was fantastic with us, but really quit whining about him
    Massimo Moratti: "Javier Zanetti ha sempre onorato la maglia e ci ha sempre fatto sentire fieri di essere interisti"

  16. #12
    .h.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    08 Jun 05
    Posts
    19,409
    Thanked
    19,134 times
    Old name
    browha

    Europe

    25 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    the reason i keep coming back to etoo is because he is the perfect metaphor for the shortsightedness of our management

  17. Thanks (2): Dylan, Fitzy

  18. #13
    Wallace
    Join Date
    18 Jun 05
    Posts
    11,213
    Thanked
    10,241 times
    Fav. Player
    Wallace
    Old name
    Wallace

    Brazil

    88 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    Surely, Eto'o would have made a difference.

    That Milito + Pazzini partnership was the most awkward thing to watch ever since I watched Inter, even Kallon + Ventola was better, no joke.

  19. Thanks (1): wera

  20. #14
    Pharaoh's Avatar
    Join Date
    29 Nov 11
    Posts
    6,904
    Thanked
    4,766 times
    Fav. Player
    Kovacic

    Tuvalu

    10 Forum Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by browha View Post


    Hardly. Eto'o clearly carried the team in 2010-2011 - to sell our best player was just fucking stupid. For the want of a 10 million book profit + 20m/season wage savings. Guess how else we could have made that? Selling Maicon or Sneijder and releasing Stankovic/Chivu/etc.

    Instead, no, they sold our best player.


    There are thousands of reasons we DIDNT play in the CL, but that was one of our own doing. The sale of Eto'o was snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. Get over it, your point is retarded.


    ........you really are gonna let your frustration with management provoke you to insult someone's opinion? Jesus Christ calm down, if you don't agree with him so be it, but insulting him because you dislike his point is low bro.


    TBH I agree with Besnik, our replacements were where we fucked up. Selling Eto'o was tough, but if we replaced him with Palacio when gasperini actually requested him, and someone who could actually service Pazzini, that season wouldn't have been as atrocious.

    If you remember Pazzini was fantastic when we first got him, then fell off the face of the earth when he had nobody to set him up.

  21. #15
    .h.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    08 Jun 05
    Posts
    19,409
    Thanked
    19,134 times
    Old name
    browha

    Europe

    25 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    thats what happens if anyone wants to call my opinion laughable

  22. #16
    SlumDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    15 Aug 10
    Posts
    214
    Thanked
    125 times
    Fav. Player
    Capitano

    Denmark

    I agree with Browha. Eto'o was our Main player. What a machine he was. He carričd us. Look after when we lost him. Milito scored Some goals, but The rest could Not score, even if their life depended on it. The management should have sold Sneijder back Then, Not Eto'o.
    FORZA INTER !!!

  23. Thanks (1): .h.

  24. #17
    .h.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    08 Jun 05
    Posts
    19,409
    Thanked
    19,134 times
    Old name
    browha

    Europe

    25 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    It's only the fault of the people we tried to replace them with in so far as selling Falcao and not signing Messi or Ronaldo to replace him is the fault of the replacements.

    When you're playing on the Eto'o level, there are only really a few strikers in that game. Falcao, Messi, Ronaldo, Eto'o....

    If it was like... I dunno... Crespo, scoring 15-20 goals? and then we sold him and replaced him, then yeah, its a fault of the replacement. But on the level of Eto'o scoring 37? That's not the fault of the replacement. Thats the fault of the sale. By selling Eto'o the default on ANY replacement you get is "worse". By selling Crespo, the default on any REASONABLE replacement you get is "comparable".

  25. #18
    pencilpal's Avatar
    Join Date
    12 Apr 13
    Posts
    2,104
    Thanked
    1,408 times
    Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

    Fiji

    Reply

    In the Moratti era, how have Inter gotten any sort of good players? Have we tried to work strictly within a small price range of < 5 million euros per player, or do we overspend on at least 2 players every year?

    Most of the players who were prolific had incredibly large price tags. Ronaldo, Vieri, Recoba, and even Milito, Crespo, and Toldo were incredibly expensive. So Inter’s success came only from Moratti’s chequebook, not from anything else (except during the Mourinho period).

    We spend massively, without any sort of direction, and that is a serious problem.

    We sold Eto’o to get some sort of a profit, when we could have just as easily laid off Chivu, Stankovic, and Maicon. We replaced him with Diego Forlan who just had a very dismal season at Atletico, and Mauro Zarate who was renowned for his selfishness with the ball and irresponsibility off the pitch. It was purely wishful thinking to assume any of those two players could make an impact comparable to that of Eto’o in the 2010-11 season.

    That being said, who was responsible for finding the replacements? Marco Branca and the scouting department have been doing some poor work here at Inter, and that’s really been showing in the last few years, when they haven’t had massive budgets to work off of. A good technical director can work with any budget to bring in some kind of talent to the team; look at how Fiorentina did an internal revolution with the arrival of Montella to completely revamp the squad.

    Take away Moratti’s cheque-book, and then look what happens.

    Branca has to go. He is the reason agents can “sit on our heads” and dictate the terms of contract negotiations. Tbh I have no idea why he was appointed ten years ago.

    But that’s obvious and certainly not the only problem.

    There needs to be an efficient scouting system in place. Have Inter ever truly discovered and uncovered a talent? When there are any interesting players in the Primavera (Balotelli, Destro, Bonucci etc.), they are sold quickly, and the closest thing we did to successfully scouting a player abroad before this year was with Alvaro Recoba (and keep in mind the ~20 million euro transfer fee).

    The loss of Angeloni as Chief Scout was a very big step in the wrong direction for Inter. I think that his signings in Botta and Laxalt will both prove themselves to be very good. Realize that moving in the direction of clubs like Udinese and Borussia Dortmund isn’t just a reliance on a youth academy, but a real scouting department that management can fully support with staff and money.

    Also, for too long have we managed to find a good young player in our ranks, and eventually sell him for virtually nothing; because of impatience being built into the philosophy of the management, they have either been let go or sold for relatively small fees (except for Balotelli, but we didn’t even make as much profit as possible in that sale, considering his current value).

    On your ideas about the reserve team squad, I wrote an article a while ago on how to make an “Inter B” (u-23) squad by purchasing a Serie C1/C2 side (ala Lotito of Lazio, Pozzo of Udinese, or De Laurentiis of Napoli with Salernitana, Getafe, and Crystal Palace respectively). This wouldn’t require a change in the football structure of Italian football.

    Click here for the link

    But this can only happen either with some money in the club (from new investors) to buy this theoretical side, or if the FIGC relents to the demands of clubs like Napoli, Inter, and Lazio to create a u-23 league or integrate reserve teams into the Italian football system.

    But the underlying issue here is far beyond all of this. It is simply a lack of patience at the club. This is where the incompetence comes from.

    When we make a youth project, it means we integrate talented younger players into the team to create some sort of longevity. It may result in sacrificing 2-3 seasons, but results will come with the right coach ready to stay at the club on a long-term basis (not Mazzarri).

    The club needs to be patient for a stadium, for results, and most importantly, for player development. The impulsive sales of Donati and Caldirola, coupled with the previous purchases of Jonathan and Silvestre, especially demonstrates the club’s lack of faith in the Primavera.

    The philosophy at Inter has to change.
    Last edited by pencilpal; 01 Jul 13 at 02:11.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •