Thread: Where does our club go wrong with young "star players"?

Fav. Player
    22IcardiBroHand
    Old name
    DomesticatedPimp

Albania

Where does our club go wrong with young "star players"?

Almost every year we buy players that are rated very highly rated by scouts and the media, but more often than not, they turn out to be average at best. While other clubs like Barca , Man Utd and others , find talent , but more often than not they turn out to be good, to world class. While I was reading a book (outliers,the story of succes by Gladwell Malcolm) I read this

* The way Canadians select hockey players is a beautiful example
    of what the sociologist Robert Merton famously called a "selffulfilling
    prophecy"—a situation where "a false definition, in the
    beginning...evokes a new behavior which makes the original false
    conception come true." Canadians start with a false definition of who
    the best nine- and ten-year-old hockey players are. They're just picking
    the oldest every year. But the way they treat those "all-stars" ends
    up making their original false judgment look correct. As Merton puts
    it: "This specious validity of the self-fulfilling prophecy perpetuates
    a reign of error. For the prophet will cite the actual course of events as
    proof that he was right from the very beginning."
    and immediately thought of Inters youth policy , and how we do the complete opposite of this thing , we pick few of the best prospects, and we treat them like shit , giving more playing time to players that can't play , we don't let them know that they are needed, that we trust their abilities , which makes their development almost impossible, also loaning them is not good, because I can't think of one player that has developed while he was on loan, and that is not a treatment you make to a young player who you want to be the "future" of the club .
    Quote Originally Posted by bandiera View Post
    referees 'without question' favour juve? i think youre overstating the effect of buying out the refs.
    I did some thinking over the bench issue. I think when a player is benched, it can make them think more.

Fav. Player
    IL PRINCIPE!

United States

Loaning is good, but you have to give the player time after his loan, or it defeats the purpose.

United States

Quote Originally Posted by homaru View Post
    Loaning is good, but you have to give the player time after his loan, or it defeats the purpose.
    Definitely. You loan the player out to get experience and to sharpen his skills so he'll be better for the club when he returns. Our club seems to be afraid that we'll perform bad if we put youngsters out on the pitch.

4. Thanks (1): Caecuban

Old name
    browha

Europe

25 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    after recent overhauls our youth academy now is actually pretty good
    its the integration into the first team which, however, is utterly pathetic.

the loans are a good way of testing someone's mettle, but there is no follow-up faith.
    for example, there is no justification of having schelotto and/or jonathan over donati. Or in losing Benassi but keeping Mudingayi.

6. Thanks (4): Handoyo, Kakaroto, Nyall, Pimpin

Fav. Player
    22IcardiBroHand
    Old name
    DomesticatedPimp

Albania

that was my point, you need to show faith in them for results.

Name me one player we loaned and that turned out to be good..
    referees 'without question' favour juve? i think youre overstating the effect of buying out the refs.
    I did some thinking over the bench issue. I think when a player is benched, it can make them think more.

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

Fiji

Quote Originally Posted by PimpinAintEasy View Post
    that was my point, you need to show faith in them for results.

Name me one player we loaned and that turned out to be good..
    Coutinho, Destro, Bonucci...

The issue is that we aren't integrating the players that do well on loan into the squad.

Fav. Player
    Burdisso

Canada

16 FIF Special Ones Forum Supporter Most Stubborn Poster Most Pessimistic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pencilpal View Post
    Coutinho, Destro, Bonucci...

The issue is that we aren't integrating the players that do well on loan into the squad.
    The issue is, we'd rather buy/play overrated and useless asshole like Guarin who we have to hope plays well, rather than even give any of our youth a chance. Why is that? It's because even in year zero of a youth project we care solely about results rather than development.
    Best match thread opener ever.

10. Thanks (3): homaru, Kakaroto, pencilpal

Fav. Player
    22IcardiBroHand
    Old name
    DomesticatedPimp

Albania

Quote Originally Posted by Nyall View Post
    The issue is, we'd rather buy/play overrated and useless asshole like Guarin who we have to hope plays well, rather than even give any of our youth a chance. Why is that? It's because even in year zero of a youth project we care solely about results rather than development.
    you could have mentioned, cuchu, mudingay, schelotto, rocchi, chivu,deki.. but nooo you hang on guarins dick like your life depends on it

Fav. Player
    Burdisso

Canada

16 FIF Special Ones Forum Supporter Most Stubborn Poster Most Pessimistic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PimpinAintEasy View Post
    you could have mentioned, cuchu, mudingay, schelotto, rocchi, chivu,deki.. but nooo you hang on guarins dick like your life depends on it
    Cambiasso, Stankovic and Chivu were at least useful for us, at one time. Mundingay and Rocchi were signed to be backups. Schelotto..
    Best match thread opener ever.

Fav. Player
    Solskjær

India

18 Forum Supporter
    Lack of patience. Inter management for all their talk about wanting to buy young players and build young team care more about the present than having a strong vision for the future. Taking care of present is very important but when you have squad full of old players and a huge wage bill, it's good to start from scratch and try to integrate as many young players as possible.

Perfect example was Coutinho. All that was needed was some trust on the young player and a run of games to settle in. People go on and on about how tough it is in Serie A and how strong the defense is which is nothing but a pathetic excuse now to justify his sale.

Also like Browha said, Inter would rather spend 5 Million or whatever on squad players rather than having some faith on young players.

Fav. Player
    Adriano

Switzerland

I don't entirely agree, monster.

Coutinho was in fact given time. After the loan spell in la liga, where he was improving game after game, it was fair to expect more from him than he actually showed when he returned.

The fact that he couldn't replicate his form back in Serie a, even though he was given consecutive games to play, exactly shows that he's not suited to the slow style of play here

Some players require patience, true. And the management does need to show that more often. But in the case of Cou, he was given a fair chance.
    Other players (like kovacic) can adjust easily to other leagues and senior players.
    It will be called Internazionale, because we are brothers of the world.

Fav. Player
    Solskjær

India

18 Forum Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Serwo View Post
    I don't entirely agree, monster.

Coutinho was in fact given time. After the loan spell in la liga, where he was improving game after game, it was fair to expect more from him than he actually showed when he returned.

The fact that he couldn't replicate his form back in Serie a, even though he was given consecutive games to play, exactly shows that he's not suited to the slow style of play here

Some players require patience, true. And the management does need to show that more often. But in the case of Cou, he was given a fair chance.
    Other players (like kovacic) can adjust easily to other leagues and senior players.
    How many Serie A games did he start? and how many mins did he get in those games? (started only 3 games in Serie A)

This is exactly what's wrong, writing off a young player with very good potential after half a season with half arsed team and half arsed coach.

16. Thanks (3): Bergpavian, Cal, Fitzy

Fav. Player
    RONALDO (the re

Australia

patience, we don't have any
    http://i47.tinypic.com/106hq42.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Boys San Interista View Post
    Money where Sandrodiosi easily had could wipe the ass of azz off, till it was glimming again.
    Quote Originally Posted by skeet View Post
    he was one win away from a treble, so i wouldn't argue with his testicle oriented man-management techniques

Japan

Quote Originally Posted by cloudq View Post
    patience, we don't have any
    How about Chivu case ? We have a lot of patience.
    Last edited by Ffi201zi002tlis; 16 Jul 13 at 06:18.

19. Thanks (3): Cal, Kakaroto, monster09

Fav. Player
    JZ

Brazil

Quote Originally Posted by homaru View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ForzaInterUSA View Post
    Definitely. You loan the player out to get experience and to sharpen his skills so he'll be better for the club when he returns. Our club seems to be afraid that we'll perform bad if we put youngsters out on the pitch.
    This.

We need to give at least a few chances for one or two kids per year since we have so many good prospects on loan. Given we've sold Caldirola and have too many kids as forwards, I'd like to see Duncan and Mbaye staying with first team this season (specially the later since we really need WBs).
    Io non rubo il campionato, ed in Serie B sono mai stato.

Read my blog about wine (in Portuguese)

Fav. Player
    Cruz, Maicon

United States

Quote Originally Posted by ForzaInterUSA View Post
    Our problem is that we don't have someone who keeps track of how our loaned players are doing, due to how fast our coach/low lvl staff gets fired/changed.

Bonucci is a great example. Debuts as RB, has a sensational game, gets loaned out (understandable because we had maicon JZ on RB, Lucio Samuel on CB) and be forgotten.