Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Rise of Jonathan – thanks to Palacio and Campa

  1. #1
    Wings's Avatar
    Join Date
    24 Aug 13
    Posts
    3,181
    Thanked
    5,077 times

    Marshall Islands

    14

    Rise of Jonathan – thanks to Palacio and Campa

    Was gonna post this in Jonathan's thread, but fuck it he can have another thread. (important parts in bold if you're too lazy to read it all)

    As much as I dislike the three-back formation, I think it has done wonders in bringing the best out of Jonathan.

    In simple terms, Mazzarri's 3-5-2 (and variations thereof) leaves Jonathan in a fairly difficult position to pick up, mark, and defend. For example, in today's match, Catania were playing two players wide on their left (Inter's right) in a 4-3-3 – left back Luciano Monzon and left winger Lucas Castro. Neither of them were sure who was going to mark Jonathan – Monzon was too deep and would leave space behind him if he pushed up, and Castro was too high up (as he was playing as a forward). That left Jonathan in acres of space.

    It's often assumed that all attacking fullbacks are the same, but just like any other position, different fullbacks have different strengths. I was never quite sure what Jonathan's greatest asset was – his one-on-one and penalty box defending is often mediocre, and his dribbling is okay but not great. However, I think the past few games have highlighted what Jonathan is best at – making unmarked runs into space.

    It wasn't quite as apparent in the second half, but in the first today Jonathan would constantly pop up near Catania's corner flag, seemingly out of nowhere. There was a chance early on when it was 0-0 that highlights this well, when Jonathan (I think...) received the ball on the run and had a shot at the near post. (if someone has extended highlights and could post this...)

    Of course, Mazzarri isn't the first manager to play Jonathan as a wingback in a three-back formation – Gasperini and Stramaccioni did it too. But I think it works much better for Mazzarri's team because of Palacio and Campagnaro. To put it simply, Palacio and Campa occupied Monzon and Castro, respectively. In the past, when Jonathan has played as a wingback, his right center back has been someone like Ranocchia or Lucio – someone who's not a great attacking threat. Campa is a good at dribbling and passing – he's a genuine attacking threat. So Catania needed to have Castro occupy him, but that left Jonathan free.

    And we know Palacio isn't a traditional striker – he likes to move from wing to wing. Today, he spent a lot of time drifting toward Inter's right flank, drawing Monzon toward him. With Monzon being drawn out of position, Jonathan had plenty of space to exploit. When Monzon did try to track Jonathan, he left Palacio open. The second demonstrates this nicely, as Monzon approaches Jonathan (who has the ball), leaving Palacio free to receive the ball behind him. Unmarked in the box, Palacio picks out Nagatomo to make it 0-2.

    Here's a quick diagram I made to illustrate this
    Screen shot 2013-09-01 at 4.32.51 PM.png

    And here's a diagram (courtesy of FourFourTwo StatsZone) that shows how Jonathan received passes in overlapping positions: http://www.fourfourtwo.com/statszone...wrapper-anchor

    Of course, this doesn't mean Jonathan will be so freely unmarked in every game. Not every team in Italy plays 4-3-3 (in fact most don't), and were we to play an opponent that plays with wingbacks like we do, Jonathan would have a harder time with a direct opponent in front of him. Still, it's been an encouraging start from the Brazilian.


  2. #2

    Join Date
    17 Jul 13
    Posts
    879
    Thanked
    957 times
    Fav. Player
    JJesus, Kovacic

    Sweden

    The rise of Jonachan is because of Jonachan.

  3. #3
    Fapuccino's Avatar
    Join Date
    03 Apr 12
    Posts
    12,076
    Thanked
    9,267 times
    Fav. Player
    Schelotto

    Brazil

    I said it before. Mazzari can make wingbacks look good (Pereira is a fullback ). People were booing Zuniga at Siena, and he made him one of the best wingbacks in the league.

  4. #4
    Wallace
    Join Date
    18 Jun 05
    Posts
    11,214
    Thanked
    10,241 times
    Fav. Player
    Wallace
    Old name
    Wallace

    Brazil

    88 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    Sorry but I disagree!

    Jonathan is rising because he got the skills, got the potential, and got the never give up mentality of a champion.

    Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    Wallace

  5. Thanks (5): Darren, Kakaroto, Rasha, wera, William

  6. #5
    Wings's Avatar
    Join Date
    24 Aug 13
    Posts
    3,181
    Thanked
    5,077 times

    Marshall Islands

    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
    Sorry but I disagree!

    Jonathan is rising because he got the skills, got the potential, and got the never give up mentality of a champion.

    Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    No doubt – but Mazzarri (or rather Palacio and Campagnaro) has created an optimal environment for him to finally showcase his talents. Jonathan looked decent at the tail end of last season but he was really shining against Catania.

  7. #6
    chipschups's Avatar
    Join Date
    27 Dec 10
    Posts
    4,804
    Thanked
    3,005 times
    Fav. Player
    Alvaro "el

    Indonesia

    27
    No love for guaro?
    in the last match, guaro always start a pass before Jono doing his magic,,



    with campg, and guaro, Jonathan is like having Hulk and the Rock as his bodyguard,,
    lets wait till capitano back and mazzari put formation like this

    Icardi - Palacio
    ----Guaro
    Naga - Kova - Capitano - Joni
    Juan - Rano - Campg

    Joni would like get a Free VVVVIP ticket to heaven,,
    ‘Whoever doesn’t love El Chino doesn’t love football!’

    jonikemot ---------> chipschups
    Quote Originally Posted by francesco View Post
    Why criticize like he was the worst player in the team?
    either people are having a high standard for inter or they just racist

  8. #7
    Wallace
    Join Date
    18 Jun 05
    Posts
    11,214
    Thanked
    10,241 times
    Fav. Player
    Wallace
    Old name
    Wallace

    Brazil

    88 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    Quote Originally Posted by Wings View Post
    No doubt – but Mazzarri (or rather Palacio and Campagnaro) has created an optimal environment for him to finally showcase his talents. Jonathan looked decent at the tail end of last season but he was really shining against Catania.
    I disagree, I think Jonathan is improving the way Palacio and Campagnaro are playing, and in fact the offensive power of our entire right wing.

    Palacio very rarely was involved in build up play, but with Jonathan there, Palacio has managed to become more involved because Jonathan is able to play the through pass to him and combines play with him. Jonathan is a beast with exchanging passes with his team mates and off-ball movements, known as 'pass and move', which is often seen in a Barca player.

    Campagnaro was originally very good already, but Jonathan's off-ball movements has made Campagnaro's job much easier where defenders are dragged out and away by Jonathan. And of course, Jonathan's ability in running into space has increased the chances of Campagnaro making a 'key pass'.

    In other words, it's the complementary of three very good players that turned them all into world class players, producing world class plays.

    Now, the main problem is fixing that left flank.

  9. #8
    Kenny's Avatar
    Join Date
    17 Sep 11
    Posts
    4,768
    Thanked
    6,746 times
    Fav. Player
    Tomasso Berni

    Hungary

    28 Forum Supporter
    Finally, a normal Korean guy. #notuniverse#
    I think that Johnny got mentally stronger, he put his head in order, and has the right will and mentality to do his job.
    If he continues like this, he will have an excellent season.

  10. Thanks (3): AbdiWirajaya, Hugo Boss, wera

  11. #9
    Hugo Boss's Avatar
    Join Date
    03 Apr 12
    Posts
    3,016
    Thanked
    1,839 times
    Fav. Player
    JZ4

    Indonesia

    78
    Quote Originally Posted by kallatis View Post
    Finally, a normal Korean guy. #notuniverse#
    I think that Johnny got mentally stronger, he put his head in order, and has the right will and mentality to do his job.
    If he continues like this, he will have an excellent season.
    FORZAINTER

  12. #10
    francesco's Avatar
    Join Date
    14 Sep 11
    Posts
    2,432
    Thanked
    2,072 times
    Fav. Player
    Francesco Toldo

    Indonesia

    Quote Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
    Sorry but I disagree!

    Jonathan is rising because he got the skills, got the potential, and got the never give up mentality of a champion.

    Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    and that's why you are sitting in the bench most of the time

  13. Thanks (1): AbdiWirajaya

  14. #11
    Wallace
    Join Date
    18 Jun 05
    Posts
    11,214
    Thanked
    10,241 times
    Fav. Player
    Wallace
    Old name
    Wallace

    Brazil

    88 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    I think people need to stop trolling me.

    A mistake might have been made, but it was only one that leads to the road of becoming a champion.
    Wallace


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •