Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: UEFA Cup: Benfica - Inter

UEFA Cup: Benfica - Inter

Well we have been handed benfica in the draw for the next round of the Uefa Cup. The other options were Marseille, Auxerre and Villareal, so weve come out of the draw ok.

I hope to progress to the next round.
    Lo Scudetto will return.

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

Greece

83 10 years of FIF
    If we beat Benfica we face either Liverpool or Marseille.

I doubt whether we can beat Benfica.We are playing like a circus!
    INTER PER SEMPRE!

RUBE MERDA

Jimmy
    I really want to face Livershit since I hate them, so they´ll let me down as usual.

Bahrain

Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    I have to say the UEFA is heating up now to win it we have to go through Benfica which i hope we will and then have to face either Liverpool who finally seem to get it together or Auxerre before moving to the final..If we do it would be great to win a trophy to get the players that sense of belief that they can win and to boost their confidence
    Ziyad Of Boston

Fav. Player
    Kovacic

Macau

57 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF Best Overall Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy
    I really want to face Livershit since I hate them
    My thoughts exactly i hate Liverpool! nad i hate people comparing inter to Liverpool! :twisted:
    Quote Originally Posted by DM_ View Post
    Then we'll just buy the federation and create our own rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pimpin View Post
    I dont think juventus are willing to sell

Fav. Player
    Adriano - #10

I also hate Liverpool and I don't know why either :grin: Maybe its because I hate Owen and Gerrard?

Anywayz I think we got a good draw since IMO Marseille were the team that I least wanted us to draw. Hopefully the team can give its all without Vieri because we really need to win atleast the UEFA Cup this season or our season was a complete bust...

Fav. Player
    Crespo, Figo, I

liverpool is pretty similar too us they are in deep shit as well,...

i think we should be able to handle benfica and handle the quarterfinal..
    so we should reach the final... at all cost..

Fav. Player
    J.Zanetti

Nepal

21 10 years of FIF
    We play against Benfica next week. I am a bit worried, coz the way we are playing it would definitely not be easy....

I hope that players like emre, martins, recoba would be available for this game. For God Sake, it would be great to have a good lead before playing the 2nd leg !! :shock: :?:

Yep, it would be fun to face Liverpool. At first I dislike them a lot but the most important thing would be to see Martins vs. Hyypiä there.
    \"Inter is a lovely illness which leaves eternal scars\"

Fav. Player
    Zenga, uno di n

I would love to trash Livercrap, but with our current form we can't beat Benfica and to be frank not even Livershit.
    Nella gioia e nel dolore, per l'Inter eterno amore
    "It's not murder, it's an act of faith..." -The Cardigans
    "I rigori li sbaglia solo chi ha il coraggio di tirarli" -Roberto Baggio
    Matrix come El Chino: un gol da 50 metri contro Empoli!

i would love for us to be drawn against Liverpool, because it would give me a rare chance to watch a live ( not taped ) match.
    Lo Scudetto will return.

Indonesia

32 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF Most Important Member
    Wow, this is the first time in a while that I see Jimmy making fun of a team's name. Well, I too hate Liverpool, although they're the English version of Inter. The 2 of us have rich history but have failed to win the domestic league title for more than a decade. And of course, for the past 2 seasons, we're 2 of the most boring clubs in Europe.

I'd be worried if we face them since Steven Gerrard is in the form and his life. Him alone will absolutely run riot and stamp authority all over our midfield.

Fav. Player
    Oh I can't deci

Benfica and Inter agree UEFA Cup venue switch
    Reuters
    Friday March 5, 2004 8:51 PM

LISBON, March 5 (Reuters) - The first leg of Benfica's UEFA Cup fourth round tie against Inter Milan has been switched from Italy to Portugal to avoid a clash with AC Milan, Benfica said on its website on Friday.

Inter were due to host the first leg at the San Siro stadium next Thursday following the original draw.

However, next Wednesday AC Milan, who share the San Siro with Inter, play Sparta Prague there in a Champions League match.

Therefore the Lisbon side and Inter Milan will now play the first leg next Thursday at Benfica's Luz stadium with the second leg on March 25 at the San Siro.
    TI AMO INTER

Handoyo's right about Gerrard, he is playing well, I would probably rate him as the best English player in the world. He will easily control the midfield if we play Liverpool.
    Lo Scudetto will return.

Indonesia

10 years of FIF
    i hate liverpool too... and Owen has a large role to play in making me hate em... he's a shit striker who can do nothing except run around the whole pitch trying, and i mean TRYING, to get the midfielders to pass the ball at him, at which he can't even control... ok, maybe i'm just biased, but i still hate him and liverpool...

i like Gerrard though... he's simply superb... i hope he goes to another club, like maybe Chelsea or Arsenal...
    Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica.

Fav. Player
    J.Zanetti

Nepal

21 10 years of FIF
    Quote Originally Posted by BDragon2k2
    I also hate Liverpool and I don't know why either :grin: Maybe its because I hate Owen and Gerrard?
    same here.... I also hate Liverpool, but without reasons.... ??

That is funny that we all have a link besides Inter. :grin:

Indonesia

I just got another reason to hate Liverpool. The fans. They're both arrogant and ignorant. I spent some time in XT during the time when this forum was down and I discovered 2 red b@stards, Doc_Rule & King of the Kop. What amaze me is that one of them is a mod!!!

Anyway, why are we discussing about Liverpool instead of Benfica??? :p I read a very good preview done by Razor from XT who's a Benfica & Inter fan. All credit goes to him for this preview.

Greetings All-

For those whom I have not yet met, my name is Razor. I first came to xtratime some years ago as nerrazzuri who also followed Benfica (wife's Portuguese, my family's Italian-American). Names like TAZZ, Carson, Falcao, Ze Elias, et al are the names I used to hang with. At one time I was mod for the Benfica forums, but moved on with many of those guys for a number of reasons. Problem is, there's just no decent Inter talk at the other forum.

So when my two favorite clubs collide in the Copa/Taca UEFA, I just had to check in here. You guys asked for background on Benfica's season/current form, so I'll provide my two cents.

Benfica's typical starting lineup/scouting report follows below. Benfica plays a 4-2-3-1 (two trincos). For informational purposes, a single asterisk denotes U-21 National Team regular, and a double asterisk denotes the senior (AA) National Team regular:

GK: *Moreira (POR) - one of the best young keepers in Europe. Don't know if any of you saw any of the Rosenborg-Benfica highlights from last night or not, but if you did, you know what I mean. For those who missed it, Benfica played with ten men for more than half the game (Nuno Gomes was sent off at '42 of the first half), Benfica packed it in (just one forward player, Simao, played the last 30 minutes) and Moreira stood on his head & single-handedly willed Benfica into the fourth round of this tournament. He can be shaky on set pieces as many young keepers are (he's 20) in that he doesn't always know when to stay home/when to attack the ball, but he is getting better every game.

Right Back: **Miguel (POR) - he of the own-goal that put Lazio into the group stage of the CL last fall. One of my favorite players...a converted forward who continually improves defensively, but is deadly on the counterattack. I'd compare him to Cafu in terms of his defensive/offensive mindedness (but not nearly as good). He is easily the fastest player Benfica has and Kily will have to be careful on his wing. He is a star in the making, save for the occasional mental mistake.

Left Back: Armando (BRA) - athletic (Roberto Carlos build and none of his game), attacking player who is about a B-player on the left back position. He is an opportunity for Inter to exploit. I think Van der Meyde would give him a lot of problems.

Center Back: **Ricardo Rocha (POR) - solid defensive player. Due to injuries, he has played much of this season at left back, until Fyssas (Greek national) came over at the winter break (he's not eligible for European action since he already played for Panathiakos). He's now at his natural position and is playing well.

Center Back: **Luisao (BRA) - young specimen (he's 6'5 +) who creates problems with his size. Has deceptive technical skills given his size. Defensively sound, but there have been some mental/coverage lapses as he gets acquainted with Luisao over the past couple of weeks.

Defensive Midfielder: **Petit (POR) - bulldog. Think Edgar Davids without the dreadlocks, goggles or predisposition to cheap shots. He missed about six weeks with a knee injury in November/December, but he is now in the best form of his career, earning MOM honors in Portugal's 1-1 draw with England last month (coach Scolari naming him a starter for E2004 based on his performance). He is a pure defensive player who will take the occasional shot from 30 meters out. Also takes some set pieces.

Defensive Midfielder: **Tiago (POR) - think young Paulo Sousa (without the chronic injuries). Great ball-winner in the midfield, but a rare vision a la Rui Costa who has the ability to quickly move the ball from the midfield to the attacking forwards/wings. The key to Benfica's success/beating Benfica.

Left Midfield: **Simao (POR) - Benfica's young captain is its most highly-skilled and a starter at the midfield position alongside Figo and Rui Costa for Euro 2004. Great moves to create space on the wing. I'd tell you to be careful if not for the fact that Inter has the greatest right back who ever played in Javier Zannetti. This will be the marquee matchup. I can't wait.

Right Midfield: Geovanni (BRA) - Barcelona cast-off who has great skills/decent speed, but the effort's not always there. Has lost his starting spot in recent weeks to 19-year old *Joao Perreira (POR), who has shown glimpses of brilliance/goals when given the chance. Still, I suspect Camacho will go with experience (Geovanni) over youth (Perreira).

Attacking Midfield: **Zahovic (SLO) - on the downside of his career and a huge dissapointment this season for Benfica. He will disappear for long periods of time during a game, but will appear out of nowhere on a counterattack with a suprise shot or pass. Can be dangerous, but I don't see Cristiano Zanneti (if healthy) having any problems shutting him down.

Striker: **Sokota (CRO) - one of Europe's best-kept secrets. If he could stay healthy or if he had anyone on Benfica feeding him balls besides Simao, he'd have 25 goals this season. Strong, powerful player with good foot skills who will give Inter's defense troubles. Unfortunately, injuries continue to plague him and Nuno Gomes (out for the first leg with a red card) has had to play in his absence. Yes - he still plays like he did at Fiorentina (misses every sure-fire goal opportunity he has).

But let's be honest - Inter is Inter. I think playing the first leg in Lisboa (the clubs agreed to switch the leg venues) helps Benfica, and we all know how horrible Inter's play has been as of late. Having Vieri out for the first leg doesn't help either.

In the end, if Inter can keep Benfica off the score sheet and steal a goal in Lisboa, they should pass through to the quarters with ease. Benfica just doesn't have the offense to penetrate the Cordobas, Cannavaros, Zannetis or Toldos with any consistency.

My heart is torn; but in some ways, I can't lose - regardless of the outcome.

Forza Nerrazzuri!
    Forca Benfica!

Fav. Player
    Giacinto Facche

Luisao is a World Cup winner with Brazil might I add, I’m a bit worried of Simao...He plays used to play for Barcelona, during that period he had some good spells. He’s the kind of player that seems to perform well when an upset is bound to happen.

I’m surprised Mantorras was not mentioned? I heard he is a Benfica favourite, a lethal clinical finisher. :s
    "There's another flare smoking in the box now...This referee is a clown" - Eurosport
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueBacchus
    You know each year we say "Dream Attack" and then that becomes "Bad Attack".

Indonesia

True. :shock: I don't know why. Perhaps he's injured or suspended against us. Or maybe his talent has faded away...