Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poker [ Texas hold'em ]

Jimmy

Poker [ Texas hold'em ]

Poker has grown ridiculously big and for once Iīve fallen for a gambling game that contains cards. It all started with me sitting down and watch the World Poker Tour on TV here. Eventually I got the hang of the rules and all, and ever since Iīve been addicted to it.

Now I play on the Internet 24/7 but without real money. My interest in this game is strictly based on the fun of it and the honour. I think playing with real money would take the fun of it completely.

Here in Sweden they show poker on TV at least once a week, so itīs a lot of fun. Although, they show the Swedish tour as well and they cut the whole thing into an hour so you donīt get to see a damn thing. Plus, the expertcommentator is an arrogant bastard.

Finally I have my own pokerbag with all the chips and everything. So now me and my friends will play IRL (not for money) so life rules.

This is how it looks like:

These are ones of the best hands Iīve ever had on the Internet:

Syria

10 years of FIF
    was a big fan of poker, but i never understood how the played the other rules. the one with 2 cards

Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    Black Jack rules

Actually my brother is getting into it as well! When I was in LV I only played Black Jack as I find it more fun. Then again that is probably because I donít know all the rules and the fun bits with the game of Poker. Just be careful so you donít start gambling with real money Jimmy!
    Noi non siamo gobbi ba$tardi

"In un mondo di puttane e oportunisti noi avevamo scelto la migliore; Addio Traditore!"

R.I.P Cipe

Jimmy
    Iīm way too cheap and carefull with money to even think about playing with real money.

Fav. Player
    Internazionale

So that's what all the kids in the school play. I see at least 10 people playing this game online and I wasn't sure what it is. I never understood Poker, the only card game that I like is UNO.

Fav. Player
    Marco Maserati

Jimmy where do you play on the net? Texas hold`em rocks, I used to play it at school with my friends, with real money of course.

Fav. Player
    Capitano e CN

Canada

66 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    Yeah Poker has become huge over here too. I play with some friends every now and then, but like Jimmy I'm cheap and I don't like to lose money. I try to limit my gambling to just betting on Pro Sports.

Fav. Player
    Kovacic

Macau

57 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF Best Overall Poster
    I have Started watching in on TV recently aswell as its very addictive, I might try to get into some free games on the net to learn some more then il play my friends and take all there money!
    Quote Originally Posted by DM_ View Post
    Then we'll just buy the federation and create our own rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pimpin View Post
    I dont think juventus are willing to sell

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

Singapore

Re: Poker [ Texas hold'em ]

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy
    Heh, i love that case. It's so Pulp Fiction.

Ciao,
    Tim
    MAI STATI IN B

Indonesia

10 years of FIF
    I don't really know how to play Poker. The only card game I knew how to play was Big Two (Not sure what it's called in America or in Europe) and Blackjack.
    Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica.

Jimmy

Essay regarding Poker - Texas hold'em

Introduction

Iíve decided to write about the phenomenon called poker. In specific, itíll be the version of poker called Texas holdíem which has lately grown to become one of the most popular games in the world.

Personally, Iíve never been too fond of card games and has had real trouble learning them and even get attached to them. Nonetheless, Iíve learnt to appreciate the card game Texas holdíem, and for what reason, I canít really say. It could be that this game can be played from any ages, and no social statuses plays any parts.

Iím an amateur at the game, as it hasnít even been a year where I first saw this game on TV. I had numerous of times seen how our Kanal 5 showed a program called World Poker Tour, but for the life of me, I couldnít understand what the game was about. There was this night though that I sat down and watched the entire program, which was a couple of hours long. Eventually I started to understand the basic rules and what the game was about. From that day on, playing poker and watching poker has been a learning process. Even after some months, I still donít know all of the rules, but thatís what makes this game so exciting. You can surprise yourself by learning the game more and more.

At first I only watched the game on TV and never played it myself. Since youíre using chips, it becomes a hassle to use coins and therefore I rarely played it. One day, my cousin sent me a program where you could play poker online for free, and from that day on, Iíve been playing poker every single day online.

It has grown, and my dear dad and aunt (theyíre married, a bizarre story that is irrelevant) bought me a case with poker chips and cards, plus the dealer button. Considering they are the ones I usually play with, it became natural that we would play at least once a week.

I never play for money, as I am cheap and also am too aware of the fact that it could ruin your life. I appreciate the game and donít want to do anything that can jeopardize that. Playing poker for money, would eventually lead to that you play it to win money, and not because itís fun.

Whatís the point?

Yes, one might ask what the point is to tell a story about a game that everyone seems to be playing nowadays. The point is for myself to finally engage myself into learning all of the rules and try to make people want to play this game. I want to encourage people to play this game for honour and not for money, which is what can make people drown themselves with debts. Iím here to show what itís really about, albeit on an amateur level.

Method

I will use my limited knowledge and experience of course. Iíve never been surfing the net to find the rules, and have only relied on watching all poker programs in order to get the picture of all the rules. However, now I will definitely look for the rules and study them.

The Internet is a source, but the biggest source of them all which has contributed to most of the knowledge, is the TV and the numerous of programs that is currently being broadcasted in the entire world.

Shuffle up and deal

Once upon a time, there was this game that was born in Mississippi, USA. It was as early as during the 1850ís that Texas holdíem was created. One can draw parallels between how poker was created, and how computers were created. Both were created during the time of war. When it comes to poker, they started to play it during the Civil War in barracks. The game grew so much, that when the war was over, poker was officially Americaís favourite card game.

Iíve never been a fan of history, so I am not interested in any further details regarding that. What is essential while playing poker, is that youíre aware of the rules and what wins you the pot.

Step 1: On every hand, youíre being dealt two hole cards. These cards are only yours, and for no one else to see. These cards will be essential for the remaining part of the game. In order to want to play the hand youíre receiving, you have to bet the money that is required during that pot. You can choose to fold, and wait for next hand or some other hand to start betting.

Step 2: So now you know which two cards you will use to play with and have betted. But thatís not it. There will be five community cards that will be dealt on the table. These community cards will be for everyone to use. This is called The Flop, and the first flop is of three cards. After youíve seen the first three cards you bet again.

Step 3: The next turn will also be The Turn. Thatís what the fourth card is called. You have betted, and most likely there are people who are with you in the pot. Now you will bet once again, in order to see the fifth card, which is the last card.

Step 4: Now the last card will appear and itís called The River. This will be the final card, and you will combine the two hole cards on your hand with these five community cards and whoever has the best hand wins. But before that occurs, you should bet again. If you get called or call someone, the one with the best hand wins.

The whole game is about getting the best hand possible, unless you bluff a pot. Iíll come back to bluffing later, but in order to know which hand that won, you need to know which hands that are the strongest:

High card: If no one has anything after the river, the person with the highest card wins the pot. The highest card is ace, while the lowest is a deuce.

One pair: If you have two of the same card, you get one pair.

Two pair: If you have a pair of sixes along with sevens, you get a two pair.

Three of a kind: As the name says basically. If you get three of the same card, youíll have a three of a kind.

Straight: Suited cards that will form a straight.

Flush: You have five of the same suit.

Full house: Youíll have three of a kind of one card, and a two pair of another card. That will form a full house.

Four of a kind: You will have all four possible cards of one card.

Straight flush: Suited connector.

Royal straight flush: Youíll have from ten to ace in the same suit.

So thatís the cards you can have and win with. Thatís something most people knows, which makes Texas holdíem a relatively easy game to play. The problem is not to know when you have the best hand after the flop along with the hole cards. The actual problem is to bet, which is by far the most difficult to explain as well. There are several words that are used and is of great importance.

Before you get your hole cards, two players are forced to pay a specific amount of sum. This sum is called Blinds and there are Small Blinds and Big Blinds. The person with the big blind, is forced to put in the minimum amount of bet money that will be in that hand. For example; if the minimum bet is $10, then the person on Big blind has to put $10 without having seen their hole cards. The person with the Small blind has to put $5 on the table.
    The people who havenít put any money in the table, will be the people who talks first. Those people can either fold, which means that their hand donít cost them anything. They can also bet, which the minimum sum would be $10. They could also raise. But letís assume that they just call the $10 that is required. When the time comes for the small blind to bet, he/she can just add another $5. The person with big blind can just check and he/she will see the flop.

So how do you know who is on small- and big blind? This is decided by a Dealer button. The two persons after the person who contains the dealer button will have the blinds. After the flop, the person with the button will be the one who will act the last. This is of great importance when it comes to tactics.

Letís go through it all once again, in a step-by-step system:

• The two persons in front of the dealer bet their blinds that is decided before the whole poker game has started
    • The player without the blinds decides if they want to see the flop and bet at least the minimum sum
    • The players on the big blinds decides what to do
    • The flop begins with three community cards Ė After the three cards has been flopped, people can bet and the person in front of the dealer button starts
    • The Turn comes up Ė You bet again
    • The last card- The River. Bet again

• There are four things you can do during the course of the game:

• Call: Each hand has its minimum sum. When you bet that sum, you call it.
    • Raise: If you want to raise the pot, you can do that. You put more money into the pot.
    • Check: You can check as long as no one bets, and when youíre on the big blind. But whenever someone bets, you canít check again. If everyone checks after the first three community cards, the Turn will be shown without the need to bet any money.
    • Fold: You can fold at anytime. If youíre on the blinds and fold, you have to give the winner of the pot the money you betted on the blinds. If no one have raised before the flop, and youíre on the big blind, you can just check your cards without folding even if your cards could be really bad.

-VERSIONS OF TEXAS HOLDíEM-There are three different kinds of versions when it comes to Texas holdíem. I, personally, only play one kind. All three are very different, yet it doesnít effect any of the rules that are stated above. The difference between the three, is the sum of money you can bet. Iíll make a review of the three versions:

• No Limit: This is the game I play. At any time, you can go all in, which means you can bet all of the money that you have. If you get called, youíre out, but this is the best game to play if you like bluffing. Thereís absolutely no limit of how much you can bet, except for minimum limit.

• Fixed Limit: Iíve rarely seen this played, to be honest. In this version thereís a fix sum of how much you can bet when it comes to both minimum and maximum. The sum is being raised as time goes, but you canít go all in unless youíre short-stacked* .

• Pot Limit: You can bet as much as the pot contains. Never seen it being played, except for online, and itís more similar to No Limit than what Fixed Limit is.

Without a doubt, No Limit is the biggest of them three and also the most interesting. Anything can happen when it comes to poker when you play No Limit Texas holdíem. If you play fixed, you canít really scare people away from a pot since you have a maximum sum to bet.

* Short-stack: When youíre the person with the least amount of chips and when you have to bet automatically all in.

-TACTICS-
    Every player has different tactics. Poker is above all a game of the minds, and itís severely psychological. Real poker players are extremely good at reading other players, thus making them have an advantage when it comes to calling bluffs.

Youíd think that poker should be about the cards, but on the contrary, itís about the person. If youíre an aggressive player, youíll most likely dominate the table, unless there is a person who is very good at tells* . Then the aggressive player risk the chance of being called when heís making a huge bluff.

Then there are the conservative players, that plays a lot with the cards. They wait for the right cards to come and try to build their stack of chips by pure victories. They risk the chance of becoming short-stack early in the game and hence theyíll be dominated throughout the game.

Personally, I am a mixture of these two. I can change pace if needed, especially when I play in real life. It all depends on who I play with. If I know I play with people who donít bluff much and only bet when they have something, I can be aggressive and try to steal the pot by making them believe I have something. I do that by betting bigger than the minimum bet.
    However, if I play with other poker players, who are also amateurs but can play the game, I mix my game a lot more. Iím more cautious to throw away chips with a bad hand, and instead try to fool the other person to bet, and that he will think that I donít have anything special.

When I play online, I like to check unless Iím on the button. If I check, I can see if other people will bet and if they have anything. If Iím more or less sure of that I will win the hand, I check and try to make other people bluff and bet big. This is a risky tactic, especially online where the computers have a system where thereís a big chance that either flush or straight will appear. I can only play this tactic if I play against aggressive- or semi-aggressive players. Thereís no point checking and hope that conservative players will bluff.

Real professional players also have physical tactics. It revolves around their appearance, as much of poker is about tells and discovering any signs of the player. The most common thing is that the poker wears sunglasses. This is in order to hide your eyes, so that the opponent wont see what cards youíre looking at.
    Other players prefers hiding almost their entire face.

The exact opposite is also a tactic. Being an obnoxious talkative person can disrupt many poker players. If you constantly talk, you can make the opponent to lose his/hers concentration.

The best advice I can give, is if you have betted big once and tried to bluff the pot, and you get called or raise, thereís no need to bet equally big or even more on the next bet. Your opponent(s) will most likely have a very good hand.

* Tells: When a person gives away signs of what hand he/she can have

-DICTIONARY-
    Hereís a small dictionary of the words you might hear on a poker table.

• All-in: When you bet all of the money that you have.

• Button: Whoever that is on the button will be the one who acts last after the flop.

• Kicker: This is your second highest card on your hand. This card is decisive if you and your opponent shares the same kind of pair. The one with the highest kicker/second card will win the pot, unless the flop contains a higher card than the kicker. Then youíll split the pot.

• Split pot: When there is no single winner of the pot. For example, if there comes five of the same suit, youíll split the pot regardless if you have a sixth suit on the hand.

Conclusion

This has been the first time ever that Iíve written about poker. Iíve never proclaimed myself as an expert of it, nor even that knowledgeable. I can only contribute with passion for it, and curiousness. Iíve just begun with the game, and therefore isnít the right person to talk about rules nor tactics.

Poker is something anyone can play, regardless if theyíre a rich person from a big city, or a single mom in her 40ís. Itís the beauty of the game, and is also helping with combining several nationalities together.

Poker is shown here on TV several times a week, and I urge people to watch it.

Jimmy Fredholm

Fav. Player
    J. Zanetti, Fig

hey Jimmy I'd love to play you in this game. I also use Pacific Poker. If you want to organise a game some time or something... feel free to.

I will provide good competition for you. There used to be a time where I thought I was the best poker player around and I knew every trick in the book. I'm far more humble now but I'd still give you a run for your money.

Jimmy
    My msn is stephane_dalmat@hotmail.com

That would be the place to arrange to go on the same table.

Jimmy
    God damnit. For the first time on many tries, I managed to end up at the final table in a Multi table competition. There were over 400 people in this competition.

Everything went good, and I ended up being in the heads-up match. I sorta suck in heads-up because I am conservative and play more with the cards. I was up against a very agressive player.

Of course, that is the time where I get hole cards such as 6-4, 10-2 and such. During the entire heads-up which was for more than 20 minutes, the best hole cards I had was A-7.

The flops were even worse. I never flopped a pair at all. The only time I managed to beat him was when I raised all in when he kept betting, and made him fold.

I lost the final, after that a flopp contained an ace and I had queen-four. The other guy had king-jack and called my all-in with no pair or anything. He won the whole thing on high card.

It was great to be in the heads-up action, but it completely sucks that I wasn't even given the chance to be able to win. I got no hole cards and the flops were crap all the time. He raised on the button the whole time, and I called which you should do, but then the flop came out nothing.

Gotta hate the Internet system which means that people who bet a lot and are agressive, will also receive the best cards.

Fav. Player
    J. Zanetti, Fig

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy
    God damnit. For the first time on many tries, I managed to end up at the final table in a Multi table competition. There were over 400 people in this competition.

This is my best ever finish. I was on fire because I had been following Inter-Samp. and I didn't even realise I was at the 2nd-last table until I got knocked out, I was buzzing from the 3-2 win.

Free rolls are the best.

Jimmy
    When there has been over 900 people, a 12th position is my best. To lose out on the final table really sucked.

What is your screen name there anyway?

I'm trying this heads-up thing now all the time. I am up against pre-flop all in players constantly, and lose when I have three kinds of aces against a God damn flush.

Jimmy
    This God damn phucking suck. Once again, I end up in heads-up at the Multi table (400 participants). The cash were pretty equal and at the beginning I had the control and won a lot. There was one hand that decided everything basically.

I had Q-4 and the other guy had K-?

The flop comes up, and it's 4-K-Q

I flopped the two pair. We all betted quite big and it was obvious this was gonna be a big hand.

The turn and river comes up and it's runner runner 10's. He flops the two pair, which means I get Q-10 two pair and he K-10. I lose the big hand.

From this hand forward, I was a huge shortstack the entire time, and was still in the game. Lost the heads-up against a pocket nine when I had ace-five suited, and I flopped the ace, but his turn was a nine.

I really had the guy on that Q-4, so this phucking sucks.

Funny to hear fellow interisti discuss the beautiful game of poker.

Two years ago I was a law student working my ass off reading incredibly heavy books while working at an office when I was off school. I've always played seven card stud so I was not new to poker but I'd never played texas hold em' until a good friend of mine took me to a place called dansk poker forbund where alot of stars have developped their game. After one night there I couldn't stay away and visited the place 4-5 times a week and experienced how fast I was adapting to the game. I played in alot of tournaments where you could buy in relatively cheap (50 dollars) and after a few months I won my first tourney with 80 people participating... That was when I got really hooked..... I started playing online in money games for several hours a day earning quite a bit of money overall and decided to quit my study so I could dedicate my life to poker... I read numerous litterature on the subject (I can recommend Super system by Doyle Brunson and everything written by David Sklansky) This made me even better and I quickly started making a substantial amount of money each month.
    My family was very sad when I told them about me quitting my study, but when I sat down with my father in front of the computer and he saw me making 800 dollars in half an hour he understood my decision and now I have the "blessing" from my family. You see they saw poker as gambling. Poker is all about calculated risks... That's not gambling that's similar to investment, buying stocks etc.... The better player wins in the long run and I therefore recommend any person who feels they can do well to take the challenge and try and compete. If you have the ability of reading human nature and calculate things as start hands, pot odds etc... Chances are you will become a great player in no time. Free rolls is a good way to start out but remember that you can only become an expert while playing for money. The pressure is different and this reflects the moves of any player... Enjoy.................

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

And what are you doing now???

Fabio
    "Cuore, Testa, Muscoli.. Da anni sognavamo un Gruppo cosi!!!
    Forza Ragazzi
    Nessuno escluso"

Hi Fabio. Was your question adressed at me?????