Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bad luck

Fav. Player
    JZ

Brazil

Bad luck

Inter had terrible results in the past few seasons. After the treble, we ended up 2nd in 2010/11, 6th in 2011/12, 9th in 2012/13 and currently sit 5th.

Yet, looking at our squad, I don't feel we "deserve" to be so low in the table. I know I am optimistic in general and there are those pessimistics, but comparing the squad with other teams, we really were better than the 9th we've finished last season. We have two big issues:

1. Player usually underachieve when arriving at Inter
    This is something Pajo brought up and that is entirely true. Players who were good become average when they arrive; average players become shitty players; interesting promises mostly fail.

Of course there are exceptions, but lets analyse our 2012 summer mercato: Cassano, Gargano, Guarin, Handa, Longo, Mundingayi, Palacio, Pereira and Silvestre. In my point of view only Palacio played better than he previously did while Gargano, Longo, Pereira and Silvestre played much worse. Not a good stat.

But our main issue is...

2. The universe is conspiring against us (and no, not that Universe)

Yes, we were lucky on a few ocasions on the treble season and before but now we face a fucking tide of bad luck.

2012/13: we started good, Stramaccioning and all at top of the table and then started losing some games... ok so far until half season when BOOM! Injuries everywhere. At a time, we had nearly 50% of our squad in the infirmary. At another we had all of our three forwards (Palacio, Milito, Cassano) injured, meaning Tommaso Rocchi played amazing 879 minutes! Even Zanetti had a very serious long term injury (as did Milito, Chivu, Obi, Mariga...). Yes, the pitch on Meazza is not good, we forced some players to play continualy, but fuck, that's too much!

When the season ended, we were 12 points from EL and 18 from CL. Could we have high expectations if not for the injuries? Maybe EL. 12 points is a long way to go, but so is Rocchi playing almost 10 matches worth of time.

2013/14: we started good, Mazzaring and all at top of the table and then started losing some games. Injuries were not so bad this time yet Milito playing half match before going back to the infirmary and Icardi being Wanda-injured all the time certainly did affect how many options Mazzari had.

This time our issue was another: really bad and inexcusable refereeing mistakes (as seen here in Italian: http://www.fcinter1908.it/editoriale...pensare-102422). Just to state some: penalty not given against Torino (final score 3:3), penalty not given against Lazio (final score 1:0 for Lazio), penalty not given against Udinese (final score 1:0 for Udinese and out of Coppa Italia), Nagatomo's goal incorrectly called offside against Chievo (final score 1:1).

Now we stand 10 points from CL. We really don't have a strong team to be one of the main contenders for the CL, but if not for all this shit, we could at least be the underdogs challenging for it. Let's hope we don't go downhill as last year...
    Io non rubo il campionato, ed in Serie B sono mai stato.

Read my blog about wine (in Portuguese)

2. Thanks (2): Devious, Wallace

Old name
    browha

Europe

25 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    I'm sorry, but I you really want to just blame luck?

Strama was good up until the Juventus game, where he managed to grind out results but we did NOT have a coherent team. After the Juventus game - for whatever reason, I personally blame manager incompetency - we all fell apart. My personal belief is that he got arrogant after that victory, and decided he was a great young manager. As myself and several other members proved at the time, the injuries had *nothing* to do with the fall in form. The form hit after Juve - injuries were not bad until Jan/Feb.

The transfers? You can blame the transfer directors for that, not just some mother luck oh we're bad thing

It's so very nice just to be able to say we were unlucky, but its not really that founded. We've had some bad luck, OF LATE, and some of the injuries were unfortunate, but at the same time, we cant blame everything to that... We're Inter, the referees have worked against us for at least 10 years now, if you're not used to biased refereeing, then you aren't an Inter fan. Yet we've succeeded before under it, so whats different now?

4. Thanks (1): pencilpal

Fav. Player
    Spalletti!
    Old name
    icardiscores

Yugoslavia

91 Forum Supporter Most Pessimistic Member
    bad luck...there is no such thing as bud luck,there is only bad mgmt!

:likeabrowha:

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

Fiji

OUr squad is definitely worse than those of Juventus, Roma, Napoli, Fiorentina, and Milan; the last 3 summer mercatos have been astonishingly poor.

Remember that it's the technical staff's fucking JOB to find cheap effective buys (eg. Valero, Pogba, Vidal, Marquinhos, Pjanic etc); and they've been doing a VERY poor job, hence why replacing Branca et al with Marino or Sabatini would undoubtedly be a monumental step forward.

Our positive results earlier in the season weren't deserved, considering the team has rarely performed well on a consistent basis. We have the most stubborn manager in Serie A, whose predictability in play leads to extremely unentertaining football on the pitch.

Yes, we've been fucked by the referees on a number of times, but we didn't deserve to win against Chievo, Udinese, Torino, or Lazio.

It's not bad luck; it's simply poor management (Moratti constantly covering our losses, disregard for the wage budget, poor transfers, poor choice in coach)

We need PATIENCE and DEDICATION towards a youth project.

Fav. Player
    Sergio Aguero!

Macedonia

10 years of FIF
    Worse than Fiorentina and Milan? Ok.
    "This wonderful night will give us the colours for our crest: black and blue against a backdrop of gold stars. It will be called Internazionale, because we are brothers of the world."

Derby d'Italia, why the rivalry?
    My message to JuBe cunts

8. Thanks (1): JJM

Old name
    browha

Europe

bad luck undoubtedly has had some impact, but to blame even 50% of it on bad luck is a joke.

sorry, pajo, but yes, I genuinely lbelieve our squad is worse than Milan - we cant rival El Shaarawy or Balotelli, Kaka is probably still better than Alvarez sadly, Cristiante looks good as does De Sciglio... Fiorentina, well, they sold a lot of quality in the summer but at the same time.. Mario Gomez is better than anyone we have to offer (for example), and they're a better team unit.

Fav. Player
    Spalletti!
    Old name
    icardiscores

Yugoslavia

91 Forum Supporter Most Pessimistic Member
    Someone droped their acid in here...

Bbilan better than us?!

maybe in shoveling all that snow...because you know -10 over at Bbilanello!

Old name
    browha

Europe

Quote Originally Posted by JJM View Post
    Someone droped their acid in here...

Bbilan better than us?!

maybe in shoveling all that snow...because you know -10 over at Bbilanello!
    Well, look at the players I highlighted. One of them is stupidly volatile, but more importantly, two of the others have been out basically all season. Had they had their full squad available - and perhaps a different tactician - I have no doubt they'd be competing with us. The midfield might be a bit shit and the defense might be useless, but dont forget they just signed Rami, and their attack could be overwhelming.

Fav. Player
    Sergio Aguero!

Macedonia

10 years of FIF
    I won't elaborate because it has to include players, and I said i won't be talking about it because im getting too much pissed off. I will only say that i Strongly disagree that Milan and Fiorentina are certainly better than us. It's debatable, but it's far from certain, and so far nothing suggest im wrong. (similar with Viola on table, way better than BB).
    "This wonderful night will give us the colours for our crest: black and blue against a backdrop of gold stars. It will be called Internazionale, because we are brothers of the world."

My message to JuBe cunts

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

Fiji

Quote Originally Posted by Pajo View Post
    Worse than Fiorentina and Milan? Ok.
    You're saying we have a better squad than the aforementioned?

Again, in comparing a squad, you have to consider BALANCE as well as individual ability. Our squad is a jambled mess, lacking in a destroyer or a regista, as well as a genuine CF, and our defence has been shaky as fuck.

Fiorentina have Valero and Pizarro in their midfield, not to mention Gonzalo and Savic at the back, with Cuadrado, Ilicic, Gomez, and Rossi up front. As a squad, they are most certainly superior.

Same with Milan, who have Balotelli, El Shaarawy, Kaka, Honda, Pazzini, Saponara, and Robinho for 4 attacking spots alone, with Poli and Montolivo in the midfield. Yes, their defensive line is weak, but overall we can't compare (because our defence is hardly rock solid, and our attack is terribly dependent on Palacio)

14. Thanks (2): Stoppani, Wings

Old name
    browha

Europe

and, yeah, Viola have been without their best player for 3 months? Milan have had huge injury problems all season... Balotelli being shit is part of Balotelli, El Shaarawy and De Sciglio being injured is like us losing Palacio and Nagatomo..

16. Thanks (1): Stoppani

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

Fiji

I mean, who gives a fuck if you have 6 FIgo's in your team if you don't have a Makelele, a Cannavaro, or a Veron?

Fav. Player
    Sergio Aguero!

Macedonia

10 years of FIF
    As TEAM yes, as squad hell now. Especially Fiorentina who have too many holes in their team, way more than us. And Rossi is their best player, not Gomez.

My message to JuBe cunts

Fav. Player
    Sergio Aguero!

Macedonia

10 years of FIF
    Also, don't forget the refs mistakes. We should never take them out. No matter how shit we are, we are constantly raped by them and yes it means a lot, because we LOSE POINTS. And the motivation for that matter.

My message to JuBe cunts

20. Thanks (2): Caecuban, JJM

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

Fiji

Also, don't forget the refs mistakes. We should never take them out. No matter how shit we are, we are constantly raped by them and yes it means a lot, because we LOSE POINTS. And the motivation for that matter.
    But did we deserve to win against Chievo, Udinese, Lazio, or Torino?

Absolutely not.

Fav. Player
    Sergio Aguero!

Macedonia

10 years of FIF
    Who cares about deserving? Did Milan deserve the draws they got? Did Juve deserved every win of theirs? What's about "deserving" anyway, being better then them? Big teams, quality teams, often win without deserving it on the pitch, by 1-2 good moves and good defense.

My message to JuBe cunts

23. Thanks (6): Batman, Caecuban, JJM, KevinB, thatdude, WLEXT

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

Fiji

As TEAM yes, as squad hell now. Especially Fiorentina who have too many holes in their team, way more than us. And Rossi is their best player, not Gomez.
    In that case (with your terminology), comparing squads is irrelevant and pointless (to no reasonable end)

What MATTERS is how the team compares, and we are most certainly worse than Juve, Napoli, Roma, Fiorentina, AND Milan. CL qualification was never a possibility, especially considering our consistently abysmal performances on the pitch.

Old name
    browha

Europe

well, you're right about Rossi, but still
    Gomez was 2 goals and 1 assist in 3 games, Rossi has 14+4 in 18... Palacio, whilst impressive, doesnt compare to those numbers (10+5/19).. of course you can (and correctly) argue about the team being crap and so on, but I think the fact that we're dividing hairs between Gomez and Rossi when the only Inter player even comparable is Palacio says alot.

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

Fiji

Who cares about deserving? Did Milan deserve the draws they got? Did Juve deserved every win of theirs? What's about "deserving" anyway, being better then them? Big teams, quality teams, often win without deserving it on the pitch, by 1-2 good moves and good defense.
    No team can consistently shell out results without performing well on the pitch. Hence why Barcelona constantly progress to the semifinal or the final of the CL, why we fell from CL, CI, and Scudetto winners, to 2nd in Serie A, finally ending up at 6th place (followed by a disastrous 9th place finish last year).

From a short term perspective, performances have no bearing on results, but at the end of the day, long term success and CONSISTENCY in POSITIVE results is achieved by playing well on the pitch

Fav. Player
    Sergio Aguero!

Macedonia

10 years of FIF
    "most certainly" worse than Fiorentina and Milan... As I said, OK. If you like to think so, Ok, we are worse than Udinese, Lazio and Verona too. If that makes you happy.

My message to JuBe cunts