Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barca Fall To Capitalism

Barca Fall To Capitalism

Well Barca may have a jersey sponsor next season ... what this means is that they also have lots of cash ...

Naturally that is bad ... considering that Ronaldinho is on our radars. All those who want Ronaldinho cross your fingers
    When The Going Gets Tough ... We\'ll Together Survive The INTERbulent Storms ... May The Madonnina Smile Upon Us.

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

Greece

83 10 years of FIF
    We won't ever sign Ronaldinho!!!
    INTER PER SEMPRE!

RUBE MERDA

Fav. Player
    El Principe

Italy

FIF Special Ones 10 years of FIF
    What was the deal with Barca not having a sponsor anyway?
    22/04/07 15th
    18/05/08 16th
    16/05/09 17th
    16/05/10 18th
    22/05/10 CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE
    18/12/10 WORLD CHAMPIONS
    29/08/09 Milan 0 Inter 4 Thiago Motta, Milito (p), Maicon, Stankovic - Dominated and outclassed
    Materazzi World Champion

Barca has always symbolized the rebellion against the capitalists. It for years under the Franco regime was viewed as the anti-government club. Also it is considered the capital of Catalunya .. people who are separatists. So for years Barca attracted football talent and has such a reputation even without sponsors on their jerseys .. a symbol of defiance.
    Now they are opening up and when u can afford players of that calibre without a jersey sponsor ... imagine what they cud do with more dough
    When The Going Gets Tough ... We\'ll Together Survive The INTERbulent Storms ... May The Madonnina Smile Upon Us.

Fav. Player
    Internazionale

I really can't stand this politicization of soccer, like Barca not having sponsors and those Athletic Bilbao only using Basque players and foreingers in their team.

I hate Capitalism and I have sympathy with Basque people, but I think it's better to keep sports as sports. After all, isn't soccer a way to bring people together?

Indonesia

32 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF Most Important Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Frisko
    What was the deal with Barca not having a sponsor anyway?
    It's prestigious, isn't it? Maybe we, as Interisti, can't understand this very much because Pirelli, our shirt's sponsor, is owned my Mr. Tronchetti Provera who himself is one of the major shareholder in FC Inter itself. Also, he seems to be a diehard Interisti.

But for Barcelona, they would be breaking a 106 years of tradition of wearing sponsorless kit. To make matter worse, it will be either a Middle East (From Qatar, if I'm not wront) airline or Beijing's promotion for the upcoming Olympics in 2008. These have no connection with Catalunya or the football club that is Barcelona itself. I believe that is why some of the fans are outraged.

From what I know, Barcelona is in a deep debt and that is why Laporta is desperate enough to break a tradition that is over a century old. Barcelona has always been able to pride themself from the fact that they, alongside Athletic Bilbao only I think, do not fall to the temptation of money. The Cules are of course outraged but I think there is nothing that they can do. I don't know if this is the right deal by Laporta or not since I do not know the extent of the extent of their debt but Laporta definitely do what he thinks is best for the club and I think he should be defended to a certain extent.

I don't think this deal necessarily means that Barcelona's spending power will increase or not. If I'm not wrong, this will only generate at best 10-12 million Euros per season. While it is true that with that money you can get very good players, I believe that most of the money will go to clear the debt first. It's true that Barcelona, who were in deep debt, were still able to buy Deco, Eto'o, Edmilson, Giuly & Beletti in the summer but I am confident that in order to do that, they have to borrow money from the bank and that is why the are in such dire situation now, which forces Laporta to take up this sponsorship deal.

This is just my opinion. To what extent is it touching the truth, I honestly have no idea.

Handyo

Fav. Player
    El Principe

Italy

Quote Originally Posted by Handoyo
    It's prestigious, isn't it? But for Barcelona, they would be breaking a 106 years of tradition of wearing sponsorless kit.
    Wow, I had no idea about that. That shows they have balls, to resist so long with no money coming from that sponsor. I mean, just imagine how many Ronaldinho jerseys they sold around the world.

What about Real, I remember a couple of years ago they didn't have a sponsor on their jerseys too, was that some kind of mockery of Barca?
    22/04/07 15th
    18/05/08 16th
    16/05/09 17th
    16/05/10 18th
    18/12/10 WORLD CHAMPIONS
    29/08/09 Milan 0 Inter 4 Thiago Motta, Milito (p), Maicon, Stankovic - Dominated and outclassed
    Materazzi World Champion

Syria

10 years of FIF
    Handoyo when u siad Athletic Bilbao dont fall in to the temptation for money ASwell, did u mean they have no shirt sponser?

cause they do.

Indonesia

Wow, I had no idea about that. That shows they have balls, to resist so long with no money coming from that sponsor. I mean, just imagine how many Ronaldinho jerseys they sold around the world.
    No Frisko, you misunderstood me. Barcelona doesn't have a sponsor (What Pirelli is to Inter, what Opel is to Milan, what Carlsberg is to Liverpool & what Vodafone is to Man Utd) on their shirt but they are still able to sell their shirts as a part of their merchandising tactics. Don't tell me you have never seen someone wear a Barca jersey!

What about Real, I remember a couple of years ago they didn't have a sponsor on their jerseys too, was that some kind of mockery of Barca?
    Yeah, if I'm not wrong this case happened a few years back, before Real Madrid had realmadrid.com on their jersey. I cannot confirm this but I remember that Real Madrid actually wanted a sponsor but they couldn't get a good deal at a high price that they wanted and thus ended up spending the season without a sponsor in their jersey. Once again, I'd like to emphasize that I am not sure what was the reason but I am quite positive about them having a sponsorless jersey for a season.

Quote Originally Posted by helal25
    Handoyo when u siad Athletic Bilbao dont fall in to the temptation for money ASwell, did u mean they have no shirt sponser?

cause they do.
    No, they don't.

Handyo

Fav. Player
    El Principe

Italy

Quote Originally Posted by Handoyo
    No Frisko, you misunderstood me. Barcelona doesn't have a sponsor (What Pirelli is to Inter, what Opel is to Milan, what Carlsberg is to Liverpool & what Vodafone is to Man Utd) on their shirt but they are still able to sell their shirts as a part of their merchandising tactics. Don't tell me you have never seen someone wear a Barca jersey!
    Lol you muppet! Of course I know that Barca jerseys are available to buy!

I meant to say that, considering the HUGE amount of jerseys they sell all over the world, any sponsorship on the jersey would be extremely lucrative for them.
    22/04/07 15th
    18/05/08 16th
    16/05/09 17th
    16/05/10 18th
    18/12/10 WORLD CHAMPIONS
    Materazzi World Champion

Syria

10 years of FIF

Fav. Player
    Internazionale

That label on the Athletic Bilbao shirt says Euskad or something like that. Euskadri in Basque language means Basquan, and the name showing is of the Basque culture ministry or something like this. I remember reading about it a while ago.

So it's not of a commercial nature, it's just a promotion of the Euskadri (Basque) culture.

The point here is that when something of this scale happens ... when a club of Barca's stature suddenly revert from years of tradition then there is more intrest in sponsorship ... coz its epochmaking ... all the fans who swear by Barca will continue to buy Barca jerseys and the visibility of the sponsors due to matches telecast is also paramount. This is why it will generate much money and publicity.

As for Athletico .. they are another separatists club .. no players except from the Basque region or foreigners i.e. no other province of Spain. Thats why even they do not get much sponsorship or try to resist it.

Fav. Player
    Internazionale

Barcelona Sign Historical Shirt Deal
    5/6/2005 10:36:00 PM
    Barcelona have broken with tradition and signed a deal to carry a sponsor on their shirts with the Chinese government to promote the Olympic Games in Beijing in 2008.
    Camp Nou supremo Joan Laporta travelled to the Chinese captial to thrash out the deal that will see the Catalan side receive at least €19million every year.

The five-year agreement will see the Blaugrana carry the 2008 Olympic Games logo and then switch to promote the 2010 Asian Games in Guangzhou.

Barcelona have admitted that they have been forced to make the move to stay competitive in the transfer market as well as to fund huge renovation projects at their Camp Nou complex.

Laporta claims that the deal will wipe out all the club's debts and allow Barça to compete on an equal footing with Real Madrid when competing for new players.

According to press reports in Catalunya the shirt will simply carry the word Beijing and the club hope that the fact that the sponsors are not a corporation or a business will win over sceptical fans.

The deal leaves Athletic Bilbao as the only club in Spain to have never carried a shirt sponsor, although the Basque Country club did carry the word Eusakdi on their jerseys to promote the Basque regional government in their Uefa Cup and Copa del Rey games this season.

Indonesia

Poor Cules.

I'm thinking of getting the last sponsorless Barca kit before this debacle. But I don't wanna be mistaken as a Barca fan. *dilemma*

Handyo

I have had several Barcelona shirts. People still know you're an Inter fan, bro. Otherwise Barca isn't the worst team to be associated with.
    Juventus: 29 Scudetti

Inter: 13 Scudetti

Indonesia

True...Maybe I'll get it next season when the price should have dropped. :p I'll most probably get Xavi's or Puyol's name behind.

Handyo

Fav. Player
    El Principe

Italy

Quote Originally Posted by Gismo
    I have had several Barcelona shirts.
    Wonder what did he do with them now

Anyway, in the end there's no sponsor for them...
    22/04/07 15th
    18/05/08 16th
    16/05/09 17th
    16/05/10 18th
    18/12/10 WORLD CHAMPIONS
    Materazzi World Champion

Fav. Player
    Il Capitano &am

actually, Laporta asked the socis(members) whether they are ok if barca has a sponsor on their shirt or not, and most socis had little problem with it.
    So it's not that the fans will rebel or anything...it's something most people have came to live with, and as said, Laporta has asked the fans first.

me personally, i don't want a sponsor, but if it has to be one, it should be someone associated with Barcelona or Catalunya. Chinese government is the biggest shit ever...but apparently it was another gag by laporta.

further, we have for a year long a sponsor on our arms....TV3, a regional channel and for even longer a nike swoosh(also some sort of add), so as said, it doesn't really matter anymore.

btw. the importance of Barca for the region and the political importance is not that easy and requires some knowledge about Spanish history.

Just one thing, it's not that barca wanted to be political, but Barca was turned political.

Fav. Player
    J. Zanetti, Fig

thanks for the info Oleguer........ but why would a Barca fan want to be registered here?