Thread: Crowdfunding between dreams and reality

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

Egypt

Nicest Poster

Crowdfunding between dreams and reality

Came across this on footballitalia, it's an initiative taken by an Inter fan:

Professor Enzo Bonora of the University of Verona.

Here:

ans have started a campaign to help Inter improve their status via crowdfunding. “It is a poetic idea.”

The plan was floated by Professor Enzo Bonora of the University of Verona, who outlined it to Tuttosport.

“I’d like to first of all make clear this initiative is not prompted by a lack of faith in the current Inter directors or the new owner, as I think Erick Thohir can make an important contribution, just as the Moratti family did in the past.

“This won’t interfere with the politics of the club, as it is a poetic idea.”

Bonora reveals his original plan was to allow supporters to buy shares in the club, but this would require years to get through the notorious Italian red tape.

“As I wrote in my letter to Honorary President Massimo Moratti, us Inter fans want to give something back.

“To cultivate the dream of being back at the top and staying at that level, we must pool our resources and donate them to the club.

“The idea is simple: take a very small amount from a large number of people, as with so many fans involved we could raise enough to shift the balance in this difficult time for our country.

“Italian football clubs struggle to impose themselves in Europe, as we no longer have the magnates who can do it all by themselves. Inter belong to the fans, so why can’t we be the first to support our beloved team?”

Crowdfunding is a popular system of raising money for a project via websites, as if enough people contribute a small sum then large figures can be put together.

“For example, if you leave a pizzeria and have spent €30, you’re not always necessarily happy. In football when your team wins, it brings out joy in its purest state. Why stop us dreaming?

“Besides, the money raised isn’t necessarily for the transfer market, as it could also be used for humanitarian operations like Inter Campus or a 15 per cent slice given to charity. This model could be exported to other non-sporting associations too.

“I will soon send a letter to Erick Thohir to see if he’d like this plan. Obviously, if the club is not happy about it, then we will stop, but I’ve already received positive feedback from people who have important roles at the club.

“We already have a slogan: ‘Share the team, share the dream, support Inter.’”

http://www.football-italia.net/44965...e-crowdfunding

Well, since the Cuva Nord`s last stand in the Vucinic-Guarin saga which resulted in the Thohir`s stepping in to cancel the deal, the fact that the club`s fans specially the ones who has been the club through the worst of times are the most dedicated to the club, they feel that this club belong to them, and specially after that last stand from the fans that actually affected the club`s decision towards a transfer, I think it was obvious that it wont have to end just like that.

Relatively rich fans are the ones who are buying the authentic shirts are the only ones who are actually indirectly funding the club, and not all of the fund actually goes to Inter there are more than one third-party like the factories and sponsors that make the shirts (or any other Inter related stuff that gets sold at the Inter stores), and considering our current state on the table we are not attracting more fans every year like a big club should so the amount of income from this department is not enough.

On the other hand, if you get to make all or even most of the fans around the world do donate directly to the club, now that`s a completely different level of funding. I`ll just throw some minimized figures here: if we say that there are only 1 million Inter fan around the world, and well, I`d just put an average of 40$ donation from each since not all of them are not as rich as Browha or Ed , I mean there is who would donate a 10$ other a 50$, and I know people who`d donate 100$ and definitely there will be much much more for certain people. but let`s just multiply the 40$ to the one Million fan, and yes it is more than enough figure to actually make some difference.

Realistically speaking, Inter has more than 5 million die hard fan (more than 14 millions in a stats I read several years ago) all inside Italy alone, who are willing to make a donation no matter how small it is, it`ll make a difference eventually. Outside Italy there must be double or treble that number (at least), but since we know no data regarding this so Im just assuming the lowest realistic numbers possible.

At the end of the day if we assume that there are only 10 million Inter fan from around the world who is willing to donate to Inter with an amount of 50$ per year (I think even a Janitor in Somalia can donate that sum pre year), so we are looking at a figure that could alone build a Stadium!

It may at first glance seem like a wild dream, because actually it is. In reality there are more than one obstacle for this idea to come to life, first there should be an organized group of people who are not aiming for profit, which will be able to orgaize the all operation by making bank accounts, observing the incomes and organizing the club funding to the club and to ensure that the process is all legitimate, so there should be chartered accountants (or firm), specific responsible figure to ensure the legal framework of the process (money laundering related issues) which means a whole organization as a necessity to handle a process of that magnitude. And for making something like that come true we`ll need individuals who would work as supervisors on the all process without expecting returns either as any kind of profit or even a salary. However some may suggest that we could hire a small group of professional people with would organize the all process with a small return funded by the donations itself, which is a very reasonable idea.

But the biggest obstacle wont be organizing the process, it`d actually be legitimizing the process in a regime as rigid and completely inflexible as the Italian, specially when taking in account the funding in sports which as many already know the laws dealing with sports and specially football are making it hard for the clubs to progress and compete from an economical point of view with the foreign clubs.

However, there is a critical political issue that might arise. The organization or the group of people who`ll be in charge of this entire process, which will mostly be among the Curva Nord figures and other Inter fans who would naturally represent their fellow fans around the world, will start to sense the power that could affect and naturally change the decisions, no matter how big or small, of the Inter`s board while planning or processing the club`s policy. it might even go up in food chain and might as well start acting like the real rightful and legal owner of Inter. This could easily create massive conflict of interests between two powers, one which legally own the club, and the other is the indirect, supposedly charity-like semi-organization that indirectly represent the financiers who are the club`s most loyal fans around the glob.

I think this idea is really great, and despite the obstacles that could be all legalized and by organizing and taking every chance of error in future issues in account, it is quite possible to make it a dream come true. However I must admit. It still seems like a dream to me, a pretty one nonetheless.

Shit doesnt happen

2. Thanks (1): Guney

Fav. Player
    Ronaldo

Kuwait

TBH, I am against crowd funding. If we start that, other clubs will do that too and as a result of that player prices will increase, player wages will increase and the players will get let lazier, cockier and moodier.

Also it is enough that we pay for TV subscriptions, jerseys and tickets.

This is going to have an effect on the owners too. They will get richer and they would stop planning and wasting money for the future.

If this happens do you think Thohir would still go through all this trouble to pay off Inter debts, increase revenue and plan for the future?

If the club was owned by the fans I MIGHT be ok with this, otherwise absolutely NO!

4. Thanks (1): Guney

Fav. Player
    Skrinrar

Scotland

31 Forum Supporter Most Improved Member
    Start a messi fund
    Strachan can suck my tiny schlong

Quote Originally Posted by Glass box View Post
    One day FIF should organize and we should go all together to watch a game. At least 50 people. Tickets are on me.

6. Thanks (1): Guney

Old name
    browha

Europe

25 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    agree w/seyedo... we shouldnt be increasing the club's revenue because of their own financial mismanagement.

if it was fan owned and we paid subscription fees to have a say in management (for example there was a crowd sourced football club) then its a different story... but crowd sourcing just to keep your head up from bad management is a joke

Fav. Player
    ₩€$£€¥

Macedonia

6 Forum Supporter
    Crowd funding ?

“The idea is simple: take a very small amount from a large number of people..."

it's called buying a fuckin membership...
    INTERISTA 4 EVER

“I don’t think the formation model counts, it’s all about the principles and the attitude" - Stefano Pioli

Fav. Player
    Emma Watson

Tokelau

I would propose to buy 20% of inter share through crowdfunding. It wont be purely donation but crowd would actually contribute in shares.
    FC INTERNAZIONALE

I thought football in Italy had changed, but it seems that a zebra never changes its stripes.
    FAK GOBBY

Fav. Player
    Spalletti!
    Old name
    icardiscores

Yugoslavia

91 Forum Supporter Most Pessimistic Member
    If the fans contributed threw crowdfunding and actually buy shares...the fans would demand some positions on the board...do you see ET doing that?!and who the fu would represent the fans there?!

easier said than done fellas....and I don't see it happening...and fuck donations...then ET can spend that cash on coke and hookers...just like FIF mgmt or even worse doesn't spend...

ET and his crew can do it the old fashioned way by improving the revenue...commercial revenue with merchendasing,matchday revenue with gate receipts or building a damn new stadium and getting new sponsors to fund that...if he can't then the only money I would donate would be to build a new stadium...with guarantees from ET himself!

Old name
    browha

Europe

25 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    Shares would mean having to publicly list us, really. And no stock market in the world will take Inter at the moment, we dont qualify for most stock market entry requirements.

A membership scheme would be fine, but you have to make it worthwhile... Liverpool (for example) use ticket incentives to get people signed up to the membership scheme which I believe is free or very cheap? It's practically impossible to get a ticket at Anfield... but we dont have that luxury in the Meazza.

I'm all for a membership scheme, but we'd need some big changes (which realistically wont happen) for that to come in.

Fav. Player
    Alvaro "el

Indonesia

is that barca and other spanish team doing exactly something like this
    I remember read somewhere, why the can running club without sponsor is because crowdfunding..
    ‘Whoever doesn’t love El Chino doesn’t love football!’

jonikemot ---------> chipschups
    Quote Originally Posted by francesco View Post
    Why criticize like he was the worst player in the team?
    either people are having a high standard for inter or they just racist

Fav. Player
    Emma Watson

Tokelau

Quote Originally Posted by JJM View Post
    If the fans contributed threw crowdfunding and actually buy shares...the fans would demand some positions on the board...do you see ET doing that?!and who the fu would represent the fans there?!

easier said than done fellas....and I don't see it happening...and fuck donations...then ET can spend that cash on coke and hookers...just like FIF mgmt or even worse doesn't spend...

ET and his crew can do it the old fashioned way by improving the revenue...commercial revenue with merchendasing,matchday revenue with gate receipts or building a damn new stadium and getting new sponsors to fund that...if he can't then the only money I would donate would be to build a new stadium...with guarantees from ET himself!
    The idea came from me.. So I'll be in the board. As simple as that. If u disagree u dont need to fund.
    FC INTERNAZIONALE

I thought football in Italy had changed, but it seems that a zebra never changes its stripes.
    FAK GOBBY