Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computer Update

Syria

10 years of FIF

Computer Update

Hey guys, ive been searchin the net for about a half hour. looking for articles, FAQ's, Guides, all on updating your computer.

Basically my RAM is fine but my processor is slow. I wont go in the details yet, however...if someone can help me and is willing to, then let me know and ill post the info. thanks

Indonesia

32 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF Most Important Member
    Well, I have one big tip for you.

Dump your old one and get a new one!

Seriously, I can't really help you but staying on the topic, I really am gonna dump my 5 year old PC that has served as a habitat for millions of unknown species of viruses already.

Btw, I have moved this to the Off Topic forum since I think it's more appropriate there. Hope you don't mind, Helal.

Handyo

Bahrain

Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    I am glad someone opened this topic as i want a new computer too...The problem is that the power requierments in Bahrain are 220-240 v and the one i am in love with is a Sony desktop from the states thats 100-240 v.

I am not sure if it will work here or not and i am reluctant because i bought another model which got burnt after a while and i had to take it back,all the while spending the shipping charges from USA to Bahrain and back...shipping a computer is expensive !!!

Anyone have any ideas...?
    Ziyad Of Boston

Fav. Player
    Internazionale

Quote Originally Posted by Ziyad
    I am glad someone opened this topic as i want a new computer too...The problem is that the power requierments in Bahrain are 220-240 v and the one i am in love with is a Sony desktop from the states thats 100-240 v.
    You guys still have that? It was the same in Saudi but then they changed everything to 100-240 v, it's becoming a world-standard now.

What we used to do at times is use a converter (Mo7awwel ) which you can buy from anywhere and it should be okay.

Bahrain

Quote Originally Posted by Hamed
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziyad
    You guys still have that? It was the same in Saudi but then they changed everything to 100-240 v, it's becoming a world-standard now.

What we used to do at times is use a converter (Mo7awwel ) which you can buy from anywhere and it should be okay.
    Hamed i bought a converter and it worked(computer) for 2 to 3 weeks before it got damaged,i hope u didnt really think i was that dumb !
    Ziyad Of Boston

Fav. Player
    Internazionale

Of Course not, how can do so to my idle?

I was just giving lame suggestions I remember how many appliances we had burned because we used to forget to check the voltage. Sometimes, those vendors don't tell you before hands, and we don't check. But now it's like a standard, and unless your luck is real bad, it will be 240.

Bahrain

This is the one i am setting my eyes on...

Ziyad Of Boston

Fav. Player
    Internazionale

Why not get a laptop? Or you want it to be like a home computer sort of.

Syria

10 years of FIF
    Quote Originally Posted by Handoyo
    Well, I have one big tip for you.

Dump your old one and get a new one!

Btw, I have moved this to the Off Topic forum since I think it's more appropriate there. Hope you don't mind, Helal.

Handyo
    i dont mind, i jsut couldnt find it lol.

anyway, i dont have the money to buy a new pc i have the worst processor so id possibly update that, wut do i do etc..?

Sorry I have no clue, everytime my comp gets to slow I buy a new one.

Just Call me Mr. millionaire.

What kinda processor do you have

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

Greece

83 10 years of FIF
    My processor is AMD Athlon64 3400++.

It's very fast.
    INTER PER SEMPRE!

RUBE MERDA

Fav. Player
    Internazionale

I had AMD too, it's much cheaper than Pentium.

However, if you want to play games and stuff, then Pentium is better. AMD works fine for web application and word processing stuff.

Syria

10 years of FIF

However, if you want to play games and stuff, then Pentium is better. AMD works fine for web application and word processing stuff.
    mate i never play games. i just need something thats going to load up my windows fast and wont pause everynow and then from to many applications.

I dont know wat processor i have im at school now but i know my RAM is fine.

im just wondering, i cant just buy any new better processor and put it in can i>?

Fav. Player
    Internazionale

I think you have to buy the entire motherboard. You can still keep your old rams, and even add the old ones to any new ones that come with the new one, that depends on how many slots you have.

If you don't play games, then I recomment AMD. It's cheaper, and really as fast for normal applications.

I had the same problem because it used to take windows forever to load at the start. I got new rams, and a new CPU. But what made it start faster was that I got rid of all the unnecessary icon on my desktops! I had useless ones lying there like WMP and short-cuts, I deleted them all and Windows was loading faster.

Fav. Player
    Zanetti

South Africa

Where you get that Hameed?? As as I know AMd kicks pentiums ass in games. All the magazines here atleast say so and the lan gaming friens I have.

I am still stuck with my amd xp 2200+.
    Forza Inter per sempre!!!!
    Jose responding after the derby:"We could only have lost by having six people on the park, as even with seven, we would have won. "
    New Domain name
    www.forzainterforums.com

Fav. Player
    Internazionale

That's what I experienced first hand. But maybe the new generation of AMd is better in games, they are catching up to Pentium.

The AMD I had, I bought in 2002, and it was 1.4GHz, I saved about $100 by not buying a Pentium with the same speed.

Syria

10 years of FIF
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....192165645&rd=1

Hamed that motherboard is Pentium 4, 3.0GHz CPU, 512MB RAM.

I know its great, but i heard that if u just buy a new motherboard and put it in place of a really old one it might not work.

or is it 100 percent that if i put this new motherboard in that it will function properly?

Fav. Player
    Internazionale

This surely looks great, the price is also reasonable, P4s' price has gone down big time over the last two years.

As for the motherboard, I don't see why it should't work with your system. The only thing you have to check with is compatability. Get the details of your video/graphic and sound cards, and ask the seller if they work with the new motherboard. I had to do that because my cards were on the motherboard, sometimes they are not.

If you have to buy a new video/graphic card etc., then it might be better to buy a new system. They are cheaper than ever now. So ask him and then decide, also make sure he provides service/warranty

Syria

10 years of FIF
    The only thing you have to check with is Compatibility
    thats what scares me. if it wasnt for that word id already have a upgraded pc.

Fav. Player
    Internazionale

I honestly don't see why it shouldn't, unless your video/graphic card is really old.

You can still ask him, he seems to be a good seller from the record and buyers' feedback.