Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3441424344

Thread: Game of Thrones [BOOKS SPOILER]

Fav. Player
    Bea Arthur

South Korea

Download Popcorn time and you'll save a lot of time and nerves.
    Quote Originally Posted by wera View Post
    if Mauro doesn't leave this summer, I'm moving to Forza Wolverhampton Forums until he does
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    If Icardi is ever sold for 110m euros i'll stop watching football and promote Pimp to moderator.

2. Thanks (1): Ziyad

Fav. Player
    Matrix

Croatia

Goddman it's so sad it has to end xD

Nowadays i dont even watch that many tv series (just finished Office for the first time and it took me a month and half xD, few years ago i could watch full season of Sons of Anarch in a day) and this was literally the only one i was always happy going back to. Hope the new Witcher series is gonna be equal to GoT but it's probably going to be piece of shit.

Fav. Player
    Bea Arthur

South Korea

I don't think they can do The Witcher justice, but to a certain degree, they didn't do GOT justice either (in the ling run, first 4 seasons were a lot better except the epicness is on a higher level now)

What us fantasy readers are anticipating the most is the Kingkiller chronicles, amazing read, less dark than Got material but better story imo. That show is in limbo state since got was announced, i know fox had the licence first, but it just isn't moving forward
    if Mauro doesn't leave this summer, I'm moving to Forza Wolverhampton Forums until he does
    If Icardi is ever sold for 110m euros i'll stop watching football and promote Pimp to moderator.

Fav. Player
    Radamel Fkingco

Colombia

10 years of FIF
    I always wanted to see an epic 10 ep Final fantasy series each season a diff game.

8 would prob be the easiest to pull off or 6 or 12. Maybe 10 but they would go with 7 as it’s the most popular.

Maybe even Metal Gear solid those wouldn’t. Work In a 2-3 hour movie. Would be a kickass show tho.
    VAR is some serious Bullshit!

6. Thanks (1): Dylan

Fav. Player
    Matrix

Croatia

I never was a huge book reader, was always more into gaming or watching movies or tv shows which eventually led me to read some fantasy books like Silmarillion, Children of Hurin or some warcraft lore books, read asoiaf only coz i couldn't wait for more episodes after red wedding, so i don't know about other similar books like asoiaf, but i'm huge fantasy lover since i was like 7 or 8 when i first heard Manowar Kings of metal album xD, so i hope success from got series make them film more fantasy shows, amazon is already making Lotr series which is nice.

8. Thanks (1): wera

Fav. Player
    Bea Arthur

South Korea

Check Abercrombies The First Law Trilogy, similar to Game of Thrones, just with a looooot less characters. Very fun to read, fastpaced, shit goes down and after that he released books in the same universe, but with finished stories (instead of just trying to do trilogies again). So that's a good starting point.

I'd recommend the Kingkiller chronicles too, but we've been waiting for the third book since 2011

If you go check on the internet, I believe next to Martin, the 4 most loved fantasy writers are Erikson (high fantasy, 10 books), Robin Hobb (love these, she has multiple trilogies, she gets very personal in her writing, so you really get attached to the characters), Rothfuss (Kingkiller) and the before mentioned Abercrombie.

Now Rothfuss is a Harry Potter upgrade, Abercrombie a faster version of Martin, Robin Hobb is a character based fantasy writer, while Erikson is maybe too much fantasy for a Martin fan (also his first book starts in the middle of the story, so it's really hard to get into it)

Let me just add one perfect review for it
    I’m going to do something that's a little disrespectful and start this review by talking about another fantasy series that I’ve enjoyed: A Song of Ice and Fire. That series rules. It has everything I’ve wanted in a series since Tolkien but there’s one thing to be said about it, neither good or bad, that is a big part of its impact: it is dark, very very dark. The darkness comes, as it should in all quality fiction, not necessarily from the actual bad things that happen to good people, but from the depth of the characterizations themselves. Bad things happen to very real, very well-characterized, and truly understandable people, and so those bad things are made all the more upsetting, all the more hard to read.

So that’s where The Blade Itself comes in. It is a funny thing for me, reading the reviews. Everyone goes on about how bloody it is, how graphic and hardcore, etc etc. How it is a part of the “George R.R. Martin tradition”. Of course there is truth to that: much blood is spilled, incredibly tragic things happen, and hell, one of its central characters (in fact, its best character) is a torturer with an awfully painful past. But what I rarely see mentioned is the wonderful lightness of tone that makes the novel such a pleasure to read. For all its tragedies and darkness, the tone is amusing, light-hearted, comic, and never in awe of the various mysteries depicted. I laughed out loud many times. It is also a surprisingly tender novel. That comment may be hard for lovers of this book to read. But The Blade does not demonize any of its characters, it allows all of them (even Black Dow!) their moments of decency and kindness, it views all of them in such a cheerful, upbeat way, that never did I feel a sense of bleak heaviness at the tragedies displayed. Those tragedies are shown to be a part of life, for some, and although they are impactful, the characters are not beaten completely down by their pasts. It is not a sentimental novel, but it is a very sweet-tempered one. The down side to this is that, at times, the characters and situations have a vibe to them that is almost close to being a sitcom. The upside is that it is wall-to-wall pleasure and at the end of the novel, I felt uplifted, rather than weighted down. It is a wonderful antidote to the compelling but grueling Song of Ice and Fire. A kind of tonic. The novel is a breezy delight and I am really looking forward to the rest of the series.

Oh yeah, almost forgot to mention: the author knows how to write action sequences. They were truly exciting, even cinematic in the clarity of what was happening. Often fights are confusing affairs in fantasy, but that is not the case here. The whole novel had a brisk yet cinematic feel to it. I choose Matthew MacFayden to play Inquisitor Glotka!

Macedonia

What happened to 1:30 time of episodes in the last season?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by crzdcolombian View Post
    Jaime came alone which is a bummer. He should have had the tulley and river lands army. Maybe even the Frey’s. As isn’t Edmur the head of both houses now? Unless that will be a Calvary thing at the end of the battle with dead. I know the actor is doing another show but just recast.

Jon broke lady Mormonts heart she wanted to be queen of the north.

Where the fuck is ghost! I mean I liked most the ep. I just give 0 shits about Cersei and kings landing. Especially if that is the actual final battle.

Are they skipping over Aegon Targaryen? From the book or fake Aegon? The mummers dragon? Seems crazy late to bring him up with 5 eps left. Also is Jon Name in the show Aegon?
    It was crazy to introduce fake Aegon in the fucken 5th book by George Martin. At least the show cut off that nonsense plot twist (or fake plot twist, doesn't matter).

Btw, it's ridiculous for how long the Lannister regime is in power, both in show & books.

Let me give a prediction: Jon Snow will rule Westeros as a king, but the Capital will be moved from King's Landing to Winterfell. I don't know if he rules with a wife by his side (possibly a relative: Daenerys, Arya, Sansa are all options if they survive) or alone, but I find this outcome very likely.

Fav. Player
    Radamel Fkingco

Colombia

10 years of FIF
    Think he marries Sansa and she rules. He doesn’t give a shit about being king. Arya will die or marry Gendry. think in the original draft she marries Jon.

Danny or Jon are def going to die.

Fav. Player
    Miranda

Italy

i was thinking of doing a binge-watch of the series and catch-up with the current and last season, mostly because i don't understand half of the meme on the internet lol.

one thing i don't get though: how can this be the last season when the author of the book series is currently working on the sixth book and has a seventh planned as well?
    My username has nothing to do with the player of liverpool fc, it is a reference to an Italian novel.

13. Thanks (1): MVD

Fav. Player
    Bea Arthur

South Korea

Because the show surpassed the books. He told them a few things that will happen and those are the best parts of the show.

Fav. Player
    Radamel Fkingco

Colombia

10 years of FIF
    Because the show surpassed the books. He told them a few things that will happen and those are the best parts of the show.
    Show goes down the shitter when it past the books. Which is weird as they cut out a ton of shit in the books

Show still popular because dragons are cool and they show a ton of nice tits

Fav. Player
    Bea Arthur

South Korea

And because people are invested in the characters.

17. Thanks (1): KevinB

Fav. Player
    Radamel Fkingco

Colombia

10 years of FIF
    Boo....

Last ep was ok....

And the remaining eps aren’t very long. All 50-80 minutes.