Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 102

Thread: 2022 World Cup Qatar

  1. #1

  2. Thanks (1): Fitzy

  3. #2
    ADRossi's Avatar
    Join Date
    17 Jul 10
    Posts
    7,105
    Thanked
    9,262 times
    Fav. Player
    #FreeInsigne

    Netherlands

    94
    This is going to be a disaster.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlen View Post
    The problem with this kind of site in english is the international brand of supporters from non-footballers or non-top-footballer countries..
    You see people from Colombia, Oceania, Ireland(i think) pretending that at least ONCE in their life they saw a young wc talent arriving and becoming a world star.

    Just a idea: if you want a serious debate about football, you should block everybody from countries that NEVER will win nothing and NEVER will have a balon d'or, for example.
    Whats the point about those guys opinions??? Can i go to some New Zealand chat and start to teach them how to recognize the better wc prospects among young Rugby players?
    Again, if you NEVER saw a young wc prospect struggling in his first years, like Kaka or Ronaldinho who were booed by they local supporters here, how could you judge????

  4. Thanks (1): Fitzy

  5. #3
    Coasterfreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    19 Aug 10
    Posts
    8,667
    Thanked
    2,184 times
    Fav. Player
    Durian

    Ecuador

    15 Forum Supporter
    I won't forget how some wanted Qatar because of their incredible offers, and believe me, I thought it was a good presentation too. Sad it can't be a reality.

  6. #4
    Fitzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    21 Aug 09
    Posts
    9,953
    Thanked
    15,586 times
    Fav. Player
    Zanetti

    Australia

    Forum Supporter
    Whoever couldn't see Qatar being a disaster had their eyes covered with money.
    Awaiting the start of our youth project.


  7. #5
    TheNetworkZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    13 Mar 12
    Posts
    5,977
    Thanked
    5,096 times
    Fav. Player
    The Bro

    Italy

    I've hated the idea of this world cup since the beginning.

    I'll hate it even more if it's in the winter.
    "Moggi was just a grape in a vineyard of bullshit"

  8. Thanks (1): Fitzy

  9. #6
    Fitzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    21 Aug 09
    Posts
    9,953
    Thanked
    15,586 times
    Fav. Player
    Zanetti

    Australia

    Forum Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNetworkZ View Post
    I'll hate it even more if it's in the winter.
    The thing about that issue is they bid for it to be held in the northern hemisphere summer, yet when they got it, wanted to change it to winter because they realised it might be a bit too hot. It renders the bidding process farcical.
    Awaiting the start of our youth project.

  10. Thanks (1): Howl

  11. #7
    monster09's Avatar
    Join Date
    09 Mar 11
    Posts
    9,064
    Thanked
    6,484 times
    Fav. Player
    Solskjśr

    India

    18 Forum Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
    Whoever couldn't see Qatar being a disaster had their eyes covered with money.
    You mean Platini? I don't believe it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cal View Post
    I think the point is theres a fine line between comming across as a learned individual and comming across as a bit of a wanker, and utilising every corner of your vocabulary on a global internet football forum with people many of whom don't have don't have english as their first language makes you come across as the latter.

  12. #8
    Coasterfreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    19 Aug 10
    Posts
    8,667
    Thanked
    2,184 times
    Fav. Player
    Durian

    Ecuador

    15 Forum Supporter
    The recent non-world cup news of Qatar in the last two years has really pissed me off. Rough to say the least, not liking what I'm seeing in terms of progress.

  13. #9
    TheNetworkZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    13 Mar 12
    Posts
    5,977
    Thanked
    5,096 times
    Fav. Player
    The Bro

    Italy

    Quote Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
    The thing about that issue is they bid for it to be held in the northern hemisphere summer, yet when they got it, wanted to change it to winter because they realised it might be a bit too hot. It renders the bidding process farcical.
    Everything involving this world cup has been nothing but straight caca.

    Is it too late to call it off? I know they won't but nothing good has come out of FIFA's decision to let them host it. Fuck, I never even heard of the country until they won the bid.
    "Moggi was just a grape in a vineyard of bullshit"

  14. #10
    Dylan's Avatar
    Join Date
    20 Jul 08
    Posts
    22,917
    Thanked
    20,703 times
    Fav. Player
    Walter Samuel

    Ireland

    13
    http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/27652181

    This Mohamed bin Hammam guy sounds like a top guy.

    Bin Hammam was initially banned from football for life in July 2011 after being found guilty of attempted bribery.

    The allegations centred around bids to buy votes in the Fifa presidential election of that year.

    However his ban was annulled a year later by the Court of Arbitration for Sport which said there was insufficient evidence to support the punishment.

    Bin Hammam then quit football saying he had seen the "very ugly face of football".

    Fifa issued him with a second life ban in December 2012 for "conflicts of interest" while he was president of the Asian Football Confederation.

    In March 2014, the Daily Telegraph reported a company owned by Bin Hammam had paid former Fifa vice-president Jack Warner and his family more than £1m. Payments were claimed to have been made shortly after Qatar won the right to host the 2022 World Cup.

  15. Thanks (1): Fitzy

  16. #11
    A.l.i's Avatar
    Join Date
    04 Dec 06
    Posts
    9,253
    Thanked
    1,567 times
    Fav. Player
    Il Capitano

    Pakistan

    95
    Its +45 degrees in the summer. No way the WC is going to be held in the summer. Its going to be moved to another country imo.
    Spoiler: text 

  17. #12
    TheNetworkZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    13 Mar 12
    Posts
    5,977
    Thanked
    5,096 times
    Fav. Player
    The Bro

    Italy

    They won't move it to a better country, FIFA don't have the balls to do it. It'll be moved to the winter.
    "Moggi was just a grape in a vineyard of bullshit"

  18. #13
    Choppin Onions's Avatar
    Join Date
    16 Aug 04
    Posts
    8,940
    Thanked
    5,387 times
    Fav. Player
    Capitano e CN

    Canada

    66 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    What a joke if it's moved to the winter. I believe I just laughed when I heard Qatar won the fucking World Cup. Biggest event on the planet and some tiny little emirate in the Middle East gets to host it? Being filthy rich and having greedy scum of the earth running FIFA sure helped things though. I'd like to see Sepp Blatter shot into the sun. Before that, I'd like to kick him in the balls with steel toes however.

    Just give it to the fucking Yanks. They did a good job in '94. Plus I could actually see some games assuming I'm not dead from a cocaine overdose or tied down to a family and living a horrible middle-class suburban life in 2022. Both are grim possibilities.


  19. Thanks (3): Cal, Coasterfreek, Dylan

  20. #14
    .h.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    08 Jun 05
    Posts
    19,419
    Thanked
    19,151 times
    Old name
    browha

    Europe

    25 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    Quote Originally Posted by Dylan View Post
    http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/27652181

    This Mohamed bin Hammam guy sounds like a top guy.
    :Signs for Juve:



    The problem, as far as I can see, is that if FIFA DOES revoke the world cup, then Qatar would have every right to sue for stadia costs. Unless this went to criminal court and a case was actually found, and convicted. And there's no way FIFA is paying billions to cover the work done on the stadia to date already.

    That's what I'd be worried about, anyway.

  21. Thanks (2): MVD, thatdude

  22. #15
    Cal's Avatar
    Join Date
    15 May 11
    Posts
    4,751
    Thanked
    4,115 times
    Fav. Player
    Y. Nagatomo

    Tenerife

    77
    Good. One way or another, this could bring fifa down.

  23. #16
    Pharaoh's Avatar
    Join Date
    29 Nov 11
    Posts
    6,907
    Thanked
    4,773 times
    Fav. Player
    Kovacic

    Tuvalu

    10 Forum Supporter
    What is up with FIFA picking stupid ass shady situations to force the WC in? Brazil, Russia, Qatar...............3 straight WCs where infrastructure needs to be built up, a public safety issue brought up in the news, or a bribery scheme on top of it. Or a combination of the three.

    I know it's good to try and help these countries by bringing such a huge event to struggling economies (Brazil's case), but there has to be a stricter guideline on the footballing infrastructure in the country. Idk how many stories were springing up about whether or not the stadiums would be ready in time etc. It's ridiculous

  24. #17
    .h.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    08 Jun 05
    Posts
    19,419
    Thanked
    19,151 times
    Old name
    browha

    Europe

    25 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    well, all countries need to build up infrastructure, look even at england with the last olympics.

    the worry is how long it is taking for them to build up more than anything. brazil is allegedly 10% ready for the olympics, at a time where england was like 70%.

  25. #18
    Wings's Avatar
    Join Date
    24 Aug 13
    Posts
    3,181
    Thanked
    5,077 times

    Marshall Islands

    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Pharaoh View Post
    What is up with FIFA picking stupid ass shady situations to force the WC in? Brazil, Russia, Qatar...............3 straight WCs where infrastructure needs to be built up, a public safety issue brought up in the news, or a bribery scheme on top of it. Or a combination of the three.

    I know it's good to try and help these countries by bringing such a huge event to struggling economies (Brazil's case), but there has to be a stricter guideline on the footballing infrastructure in the country. Idk how many stories were springing up about whether or not the stadiums would be ready in time etc. It's ridiculous
    You pretty much answered your first question with your second paragraph. Reams of economic literature confirm that hosting major sporting events pretty much guarantees a financial loss. With national economies what they are, voters are realizing that as well. Look at all the prospective bidders for future Olympics/WCs....all democracies that ever expressed interest are dropping out, while most of the remaining contenders have dictators who want to boost national prestige.

  26. #19
    .h.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    08 Jun 05
    Posts
    19,419
    Thanked
    19,151 times
    Old name
    browha

    Europe

    25 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    The point of hosting an event like this, though, is to invest in areas. You invest in, for example, East London, create houses, jobs, offices, new stadia, etc.

    It's an investment scheme, under a different brand.

  27. #20
    ADRossi's Avatar
    Join Date
    17 Jul 10
    Posts
    7,105
    Thanked
    9,262 times
    Fav. Player
    #FreeInsigne

    Netherlands

    94
    Quote Originally Posted by browha View Post
    The point of hosting an event like this, though, is to invest in areas. You invest in, for example, East London, create houses, jobs, offices, new stadia, etc.

    It's an investment scheme, under a different brand.
    You and I both know the Olympics, WC, etc do not lead to economic development (I'm not saying you believe that, but in general people have a major misconception about that). They're a one time phenomenon that results in a large amount of sunk funds, and the rewards of the investment quickly evaporate over time. Buildings and stadiums become abandoned. Businesses lose sustainability. It's easier for London to take a hit than it is Johannesburg because most of the infrastructure is already in place.

    That's why having a place like Qatar host the event makes no sense. I feel bad for the people of Qatar really, they're exchanging one month of glory (potentially) for several years of suffering both economically and (apparently) physically.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlen View Post
    The problem with this kind of site in english is the international brand of supporters from non-footballers or non-top-footballer countries..
    You see people from Colombia, Oceania, Ireland(i think) pretending that at least ONCE in their life they saw a young wc talent arriving and becoming a world star.

    Just a idea: if you want a serious debate about football, you should block everybody from countries that NEVER will win nothing and NEVER will have a balon d'or, for example.
    Whats the point about those guys opinions??? Can i go to some New Zealand chat and start to teach them how to recognize the better wc prospects among young Rugby players?
    Again, if you NEVER saw a young wc prospect struggling in his first years, like Kaka or Ronaldinho who were booed by they local supporters here, how could you judge????

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •