Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Ancelotti a worse choker then Hector Cuper?

Fav. Player
    Gerrard, Smicer

Is Ancelotti a worse choker then Hector Cuper?

Everyone knows how Cuper lost 3 European finals in a row and the Scudetto with Inter and that has him labeled a loser. However, there is an untold story about another one who repeatedly managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory and that is Ancelotti. Let's take a look at his record.

1) Champions League semis 1998/99 Juve-Man United: has 1-1 from the first leg, plays the second leg at home, Juve take a 2-0 lead within 15 minutes and ends up losing 3-2.

2) Serie A 1999/2000: throws away a 9 point lead with 7 games to go and the Scudetto goes to Lazio!

3) Serie A 2000/2001: Championship decider Juve-Roma, Juve takes 2-0 lead after 10 minutes, holds it until 82nd but it ends 2-2.

4) Coppa Italia final 2002/2003: beats Roma 4-1 in Olimpico in the first leg. In the second Roma take a 2-0 lead but Milan claws back to 2-2 without even them knowing how.

5) Champions League QF 2003/2004: Throws away 4-1 from the first leg against Deportivo by losing 4-0 in the return.

6) Champions League SF 2004/2005: Throws away 2-0 from the first leg against PSV and only the passivity of the opponent allows them to pass.

The only time he did win something was when his direct competitors were even bigger losers: Roma in Serie A and Juve in CL(lost 5 finals, along with Benfica, more then any other team).

So there you have it, facts have spoken.
    Moggi, magari' mori' oggi!!!!!
    Galliani magari' mori' domani!!!!
    Lotito verme!!!!

Fav. Player
    Internazionale

Had he not won the CL in 2003 and Lo Scuetto last year, he would've been the biggest choker ever.

Only if it happened yesterday, that would've been perfect. But the trend is there, he seems to, as you said, snatch defeat from victories.

Fav. Player
    El Principe

Italy

FIF Special Ones 10 years of FIF
    He is a chocker, that's for sure. Then again, they guy won everything but the Intercontinental Cup in 2 years, and he doesn't play rubbish football like Rubentus...
    22/04/07 15th
    18/05/08 16th
    16/05/09 17th
    16/05/10 18th
    22/05/10 CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE
    18/12/10 WORLD CHAMPIONS
    29/08/09 Milan 0 Inter 4 Thiago Motta, Milito (p), Maicon, Stankovic - Dominated and outclassed
    Materazzi World Champion

Bahrain

Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    I am sorry but didnt he win the scudetto and CL...and is battling for both right now.

I luv Cuper and i think he is a better man and did more with what he had than Ancelotti could,but Ancelotti has the trophies to back him up,althjough i think he is one lucky bastard...

I was just disgusted by 2 things first Gallianis face and teeth,second his claim that Milan are the best...Did this ass not watch their game against PSV???

Even the players admitted they saw the ghosts of LaCoruna and that they were very lucky to get the qualifing goal...

I have seen Milan playing like shit and still end up with that vital goal towards the end...I cant wait for their fall,hopefully at our hands..
    Ziyad Of Boston

Syria

10 years of FIF
    now lets make a comparison of titles won...

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

Singapore

Ancelotti will never be seen in most people's eyes as a choker. He has won the holy grails of club football titles and that is enough to wipe his slate clean. However, he must be the biggest choker ever since he choked at Juventus. If their money, drugs and influence couldn't help him deliver the title, then he must have choked big time.

Not to mention i would greatly love to choke him myself.

Ciao,
    Tim
    MAI STATI IN B

Syria

10 years of FIF
    Quote Originally Posted by Frisko
    He is a chocker, that's for sure. Then again, they guy won everything but the Intercontinental Cup in 2 years, and he doesn't play rubbish football like Rubentus...
    man your such a bb milan lover.

lol their football has been awful. there scrappy wins, just like wut they did in psv, they come to defend for 90 minutes.

I think his just as defensive as Capello, not that theres anything wrong with that.

Indonesia

32 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF Most Important Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Miki
    How bout we give him a nice double chokeslam to hell after that?

Handyo

Fav. Player
    Internazionale

Yes, without a doubt he is now.

Let's see some interesting facts:

1. Unlike Cuper, Ancelotti has and always had a great squad to choose from. He choked with a star-studded Milan and a great Juve side. Cuper always chokes with underdogs, and sides with massive gaps.

2. Ancelotti chokes on finals and playoff games as well. Who can forget tha infamous game against ManU when he was coaching Juve? How about the mother of all chokes last year against Depor? And this year's?

3. Ancelotti chokes when he is having a lead, and when he is in charge of a game. Cuper mostly choked when he was trailing in the two finals, and we didn't have a commanding lead against Lazio in 5 Maggio.

4. Ancelotti doesn't get the most of his squad. Cuper makes household name of mediocre players, and he gets the most of them. Ancelotti misused Henry and thought Zola was finished.

Fav. Player
    El Principe

Italy

He surely is.

Last night, why did he wait so long before throwing Serginho in? And why Tomasson for phuck sake? Those were dumb moves!
    22/04/07 15th
    18/05/08 16th
    16/05/09 17th
    16/05/10 18th
    18/12/10 WORLD CHAMPIONS
    29/08/09 Milan 0 Inter 4 Thiago Motta, Milito (p), Maicon, Stankovic - Dominated and outclassed
    Materazzi World Champion

Fav. Player
    Internazionale

Did I mention the best pouring rain day ever? When he choked at Perugia? And squandering a big lead to Lazio?

JDT was horrible, as much as I detest Inzaghi, he would've been better than JDT. Instead he was watching from the stands.

Fav. Player
    J. Zanetti, Fig

I wonder what will happen with Inzaghi. Inzaghi was hoping to get a starting place, instead he had to sit in the stands.

I can't believe Serginho was asked to take a penalty. I've seen him blast them over the bar before.

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Handoyo
    Quote Originally Posted by Miki
    How bout we give him a nice double chokeslam to hell after that?

Handyo
    LOL. How come i never saw this before. We can be the tag team champions, Hurricane & Rosey.

I take back everything i said about Ancelotti not being a choker. I think he's probably gasping for breath right now.

Ciao,
    Tim
    MAI STATI IN B

Fav. Player
    El Principe

Italy

Quote Originally Posted by primo-inter
    I can't believe Serginho was asked to take a penalty. I've seen him blast them over the bar before.
    He's Milan's second best penalty taker after Pirlo...
    22/04/07 15th
    18/05/08 16th
    16/05/09 17th
    16/05/10 18th
    18/12/10 WORLD CHAMPIONS
    Materazzi World Champion

Fav. Player
    Santigol

I doubt anyone should put the blame on Ancellotti for Milans players' 7 minutes of sh1t. Milan were the better team for a 105 minutes of the game.

If he is to leave, my money is on Rijkaard to take over.

Fav. Player
    El Principe

Italy

Quote Originally Posted by catanha10
    I doubt anyone should put the blame on Ancellotti for Milans players' 7 minutes of sh1t. Milan were the better team for a 105 minutes of the game.

If he is to leave, my money is on Rijkaard to take over.
    Ancelotti has his big share of the blame. He should have made the changes early, send Serginho in for Crespo straight after the 1st Liverpool goal, and never put Tomasson on.
    22/04/07 15th
    18/05/08 16th
    16/05/09 17th
    16/05/10 18th
    18/12/10 WORLD CHAMPIONS
    Materazzi World Champion

Fav. Player
    Santigol

I understand your points Frisko, but IMHO there is no way a coach should be blamed for a team conceding three goals in a space of half a dozen minutes.
    In hindsight, ofcourse we can talk about the subs he could or shouldn't have made...but there is no excuse for the players to concede three so quickly.
    The major problem with Milan is that, they don't know what their weakness is...they don't really have a weakness but still they lose matches...that is something that they don't have on Juventus and Inter, going into next season Juventus know their weakness is right back and creativity in midfield, Inter and its defence and/or wingers.
    Another problem with Milan is that they have too many fairy's in their team, when they're winning they're playing blinders..but once the opposition piles the pressure...they magically disappear into the sky...major example is Pirlo.

Quote Originally Posted by catanha10
    I understand your points Frisko, but IMHO there is no way a coach should be blamed for a team conceding three goals in a space of half a dozen minutes.
    In hindsight, ofcourse we can talk about the subs he could or shouldn't have made...but there is no excuse for the players to concede three so quickly.
    The major problem with Milan is that, they don't know what their weakness is...they don't really have a weakness but still they lose matches...that is something that they don't have on Juventus and Inter, going into next season Juventus know their weakness is right back and creativity in midfield, Inter and its defence and/or wingers.
    Another problem with Milan is that they have too many fairy's in their team, when they're winning they're playing blinders..but once the opposition piles the pressure...they magically disappear into the sky...major example is Pirlo.
    Ancelotti not to blame?

I have to disagree. In space of 7 minutes you concede 3 goals. First one should give a slap for the coach who should wake players up. After the second still Milan doesn't change a thing. After 3rd goal they're back what they were 7 minutes earlier.

Coach has everything to blame with that. Not of the first goal, but of the second and third. Goals were what they were but Pool was able to walk freely to the 20 meters, after that goals like Smicer's are possible. Gerrard's run was a horrible then. That kind of run shouldn't be possible when you have Gattuso, Stam and Nesta defending on the center.

Fav. Player
    J. Zanetti, Fig

Quote Originally Posted by Frisko
    He's Milan's second best penalty taker after Pirlo...
    how do you know this for a fact?

Fact: I've never seen Serginho get a penalty on target.

Fact: Pirlo scores most penalties he takes, but I've seen him miss a fair few. Face it, he's no Le Tissier at the spot.

Kaka: I've never seen him miss a penalty.

whos to say Cafu's not the besT?

Fav. Player
    El Principe

Italy

how do you know this for a fact?

Fact: I've never seen Serginho get a penalty on target.

Fact: Pirlo scores most penalties he takes, but I've seen him miss a fair few. Face it, he's no Le Tissier at the spot.

Kaka: I've never seen him miss a penalty.

whos to say Cafu's not the besT?
    Simply because it is a fact mate. Ancelotti made him first to take it because he's very good, he scored quite a few for Milan since he joined them.

I don't know why you think he misses a lot, because I don't remember any other occasion when he missed.
    22/04/07 15th
    18/05/08 16th
    16/05/09 17th
    16/05/10 18th
    18/12/10 WORLD CHAMPIONS
    Materazzi World Champion