Thread: Formation Talk (and other lingo)

Fav. Player
    Sneijder

South Africa

Formation Talk (and other lingo)

OK, so I just read three different articles about Man U's debut under Van Gaal. All the talk is naturally of their new formation.

One writer called it a '5-2-3'.

One said '3-4-3'.

And one (probably an idiot) called it '3-5-2'.

Personally, in my book, when not in possession, if the wide players are forced to defend side-by-side with the three centerbacks, thats 5 at the back. When on attack of course they will flood forward! They are the only wide players on the field, so they need to get as far forward as possible (while still being able to get back).

By this reckoning, Inter played a 5-4-1, or 5-3-1-1, this last season. I am coaching youth soccer here in Canada, and they want coaches to use their terminology, versus accepted European terminology! LOL... Good luck with that.

Fav. Player
    Solskjśr

India

18 Forum Supporter
    ManUtd played 3-4-1-2 formation as Mata played as attacking midfielder rather than as Forward. Rooney and Welbeck started as strikers and Mata behind them in the free role.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cal View Post
    I think the point is theres a fine line between comming across as a learned individual and comming across as a bit of a wanker, and utilising every corner of your vocabulary on a global internet football forum with people many of whom don't have don't have english as their first language makes you come across as the latter.

3. Thanks (1): wera

Fav. Player
    Kovacic

Tuvalu

10 Forum Supporter
    Here's a fun one for discussion.

What's the difference between a Regista vs Deep Lying Playmaker

Also, who would you guys consider Regista and who are Deep Lying Playmakers. I can't think of any new young up and coming youngsters that can play either role tbh.

But the old guard right now has a few. Xabi Alonso, Pirlo, Xavi etc.

Edit: I guess you can say that Mazzarri is trying to groom Kova to become a DLP

Indonesia

32 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF Most Important Member
    I have never seen a top European team who uses 5 at the back tbh

Maybe under extreme circumstances, protecting a lead or something

But starting with 5 men defence, never

United States

Best Football Poster Nicest Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Pharaoh View Post

Also, who would you guys consider Regista and who are Deep Lying Playmakers. I can't think of any new young up and coming youngsters that can play either role tbh.

Regista and DLP = same thing. One is just the Italian word for it. A Methodista is what you would consider an M'Vila or Cambiasso.

7. Thanks (1): Pajo

Fav. Player
    Kovacic

Tuvalu

10 Forum Supporter
    Football manager would disagree and tell you they're different lol

Fav. Player
    The Bro

Italy

Kova played as a regista under Strama. Verratti can play deep as well, but he's much better playing along with the rest of the midfield.

The reason you see more older players play the position is because it requires them to do less physical work, and therefore play longer. Just sit in front of defence, read the game, and look for the right pass.
    "Moggi was just a grape in a vineyard of bullshit"

10. Thanks (1): Pharaoh

Fav. Player
    Kovacic

Tuvalu

10 Forum Supporter
    /\ I like this answer, but besides veratti & kova, which other youngsters do we see play as a DLP/Regista

Fav. Player
    The Bro

Italy

I can't think of many. Most creative midfielders play deeper later on in their careers.
    "Moggi was just a grape in a vineyard of bullshit"

United States

Best Football Poster Nicest Poster
    /\ I like this answer, but besides veratti & kova, which other youngsters do we see play as a DLP/Regista
    Benassi looked like becoming one before his loan spell to Livorno where he played as a CM. Baselli of Atalanta is one if I'm not mistaken.

They are more common in Italy than other leagues, can't think of one in EPL or Bundesliga. I can think of players from our youth who have played the position like Cristeg and Fossati (now with AC), also Tassi has moved from being an AM to a deeper position.

Fav. Player
    Sneijder

South Africa

IMO, if you play 3 center backs, and one set of wide players, be they wingers, wingbacks or fullbacks, that would be termed '5 at the back' by me. Because when you are defending, you expect those guys to be parallel to the CBs, forming a back 5.

On attack it looks much different of course, with 3 CBs staying back pretty much at all times (so it appears to be a back 3 for long stretches).

As far as I can tell, its the adaptation (5 at the back) managers have made to deal with wingers who cut inside to shoot(Messi, Ronaldo, now Bale as well), as opposed to 'old-fashioned' wingers getting to the byline (and crossing with their strongest foot).

Quote Originally Posted by Handoyo View Post
    I have never seen a top European team who uses 5 at the back tbh

Maybe under extreme circumstances, protecting a lead or something

But starting with 5 men defence, never

Marshall Islands

Illarramendi? Thiago of Bayern? I don't think the regista necessarily has to be the deepest player, so Benassi could fit under this definition.

Fav. Player
    Ronaldo L.N.D.L

Albania

Quote Originally Posted by thatdude View Post
    Regista and DLP = same thing. One is just the Italian word for it. A Methodista is what you would consider an M'Vila or Cambiasso.
    this.

Football manager would disagree and tell you they're different lol
    fm is a game.

Fav. Player
    Kovacic

Tuvalu

10 Forum Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wings View Post
    Illarramendi? Thiago of Bayern? I don't think the regista necessarily has to be the deepest player, so Benassi could fit under this definition.
    Hmm.........maybe this is where we can draw up a difference. Regista = deepest player, while a DLP doesn't have to be.

When looking at pirlo, he plays as a DM and plays directly infront of the defense. He does on occasion move ahead of some of the other midfielders, but generally plays behind them it seems.

United States

Regista?? Maybe Jack Rodwell upto his injury. Not a lot of guys or teams use a Regista, so tough to say