Thread: Mercato Dei Giovani - Inter's Youth Transfer Market Plans

Old name
    browha

Europe

25 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF

Mercato Dei Giovani - Inter's Youth Transfer Market Plans

Repost from here

There has been something interesting happening this season which no one has yet to really touch on, and it hasn’t been given much prominence at all when discussing Inter. The mercato dei giovani, the youth transfer market.

By my counting on the official Serie A transfers site, we have signed 12 new players for various levels at our youth team. Players that haven’t been mentioned here, too, include Lapo Toccafondi, who we mentioned a few weeks ago in a blog here.

Lapo Toccafondi, Inter Youth Mercato Signing

Off the top of my head, we have brought in approximately 5+ players who have caps at various Italy youth levels, across a wide range of levels from Primavera to U-15. We brought in, similarly, a range of players last year, but without having a comprehensive list (been trying to dig it out but I can’t find it!) we can’t give exact numbers. From having done full differential lists in previous years, we typically sign something like 10 new youth players a year, with the primary emphasis being on the Primavera.

This mercato, however, has been somewhat different. We’ve got a very strong emphasis on home-grown i.e. Italian talent, from lower league clubs, coming in at young levels. Integrating players from U-15 onwards is, as many avid readers will be aware of, something I am very keen on. It would seem our new management is as well.

This mercato we have already signed, mainly on permanent contracts, Italy youth internationals such as Lorenzo Gavioli (formerly at Inter, I’m not sure on the full circumstances so will not comment), and Christian Silenzi. The big emphasis will be on hoping we can continue their development as it has been to date, and that Inter can provide the right atmosphere to foster their talent into the full potential that they hopefully have in them.

Selecting Italy youth internationals can’t be an inherently bad plan – by getting to this status they are already by definition some of the best players of their generation – of course most will still not make it – but one has to be careful in this selection. Signing of players like this has to be focused on technical skills, rather than physique – where many players can make early impressions but fail to develop the technical side they need.

Couple this with the long term benefits we will get with the Prato tie-in, I see huge promise for us. We now have a mechanism for developing 18/19 year old players, we have youth academies (bearing in mind partnerships with Livorno, Crotone, etc, all of whom we sent large numbers of youth players last year) across Italy at various levels, and a youth sector which is progressively bringing itself into line with the club’s requirements, and delivering some of the largest number of Italy youth internationals at every level in Italy, I feel a lot of promise for what is going on at the moment.

I will not be passing comment on the youth players mentioned in this article as I have yet to see them play, but I’m very keen to chart their progress. One thing I find particularly encouraging is that we have signed most of these players outright – if that isn’t a statement of faith, I don’t know what is. Remembering, for one, we only spent 70,000 euros on Longo in similar circumstances, there is huge room at the bottom to develop into top players.

Fav. Player
    Kova Magic

United States

So basically we are starting to recruit them even younger then the usual ages.. I hope this forms an attachment for these players to Inter...

Old name
    browha

Europe

the focus, i'd say 2000-2004/5 was to sign good young Serie C/B 18-19 year olds. People like Eliakwu, Martins, etc.

Then it moved towards 2006-2010 more like good young 17/18 year olds, people like Longo, Benassi, etc.

2010 onwards we've put a much bigger drive into the youth sector - look at people like Opoku, Appiah, MBaye, Duncan, etc - and we now really aim at the talented 14-17 year olds, with tactical signings into the Primavera as necessary.

It would seem to me now that we're pushing this way harder than before and really trying to sign basically Italy U-15/16 sides.

South Africa

it makes a lot of sense when you consider that our academy doesnt put a lot of emphasis on developing technique from age 14 onwards, with tactics being what they focus on instead. Were seemingly trying to get the best of both worlds by signing the most talented/technically capable players in italy at that level.

But it doesnt say a lot about our faith in our own technical training.
    Last edited by bandiera; 06 Aug 14 at 05:17.

Old name
    browha

Europe

I dunno. No matter how good your in house technical training is, you'll simply never be able to produce hundreds of top players year after year. Even look at Barca, for example.

It basically boils down to a lottery at the end of the day. You can have the 200 top youth kids of a particular generation in Italy, and maybe 10-20 will make it at a top level.

The question, of course, is whether it is easier to train technically capable kids the right mentality, or to train kids with the right mentality the skills. I do suspect, somehow, its the former not the latter.

6. Thanks (1): Bzzlightyear

South Africa

agreed, tho i question whether or not italy u15 internationals are necessarily the most talented players in their age group. A lot of players havent emerged at that age.

only time will tell how this will pan out.