Thread: Third-party player ownership

Fav. Player
    Solskjær

India

18 Forum Supporter

Third-party player ownership

Finally first step from UEFA to stop third party ownership.

Uefa plans rule change to clamp down on third-party player ownership

Uefa is poised to introduce new rules to tackle urgently what it sees as the scourge of third-party ownership of players in Europe as early as next season. Transgressors ultimately face the possibility of transfer bans or having players excluded from the Champions League.

A Guardian investigation on Monday revealed that Jorge Mendes, regarded as the most powerful football agent in Europe, is serially involved in third-party ownership and Uefa, increasingly frustrated by Fifa’s inaction on the issue despite repeated vows to tackle the problem, is now drawing up new rules that could be introduced for its next three-year cycle of competition from 2015-16.

As with the introduction of its financial fair play, there would be a transition period to allow clubs to comply with the new rules but the aim would be to clamp down on third-party ownership among clubs competing in the Champions League or Europa League.

Now, the Uefa general secretary, Gianni Infantino, has told the Guardian that if Fifa fails to act then Uefa will take its own steps.

“It threatens the integrity of sporting competition, it damages contractual stability, it undermines the relationship of trust that should exist between a player and the club that employs him, it creates conflicts of interests, it means that players have less control over the development of their own careers, it keeps clubs in a vicious cycle of debt and dependence and damages the overall image of football,” he said.

“Furthermore, there is little doubt that third-party investors do influence the transfer policies of clubs even though Fifa rules expressly forbid this. These are actually the findings of Fifa’s own – detailed – research into this subject. So, it’s now time to act, and if Fifa does not address the problem, then Uefa will.”

One key concern is the possibility that agents may increasingly have stakes in players they also represent – even though that is against Fifa rules – creating a potential conflict of interest.
    Hopefully UEFA bans the third party ownership. Also clubs should make sure they don't buy half of the player stakes as they get fuck all then the player is sold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cal View Post
    I think the point is theres a fine line between comming across as a learned individual and comming across as a bit of a wanker, and utilising every corner of your vocabulary on a global internet football forum with people many of whom don't have don't have english as their first language makes you come across as the latter.

2. Thanks (1): Wobblz

Fav. Player
    Skrinrar

Scotland

31 Forum Supporter Most Improved Member
    good
    Strachan can suck my tiny schlong

Quote Originally Posted by Glass box View Post
    One day FIF should organize and we should go all together to watch a game. At least 50 people. Tickets are on me.

Fav. Player
    Solskjær

India

18 Forum Supporter
    Fifa is expected to make a "significant" announcement on third party ownership (TPO) on Friday, with a ban on investment companies taking a stake in the economic rights of players believed to be under consideration.
    http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/29373456
    Quote Originally Posted by Cal View Post
    I think the point is theres a fine line between comming across as a learned individual and comming across as a bit of a wanker, and utilising every corner of your vocabulary on a global internet football forum with people many of whom don't have don't have english as their first language makes you come across as the latter.

5. Thanks (1): Fitzy

Fav. Player
    Zanetti

Australia

Forum Supporter
    I really wish FIFA would investigate themselves before taking a moral stance on any subject.
    Awaiting the start of our youth project.

United States

Best Football Poster Nicest Poster
    FIFA ruling them out completely would be interesting. I just want to watch and see how they will find the next loophole. The companies involved in this are making to much money to take their hands out the pot.

United States

Deportivo Maldonaldo will be loaning out more players then. These TPOs already own some clubs. I expect them to use those clubs as a proxy to send players out to teams that need them. Watch the space

Fav. Player
    Taribo & Kallon
    Old name
    Black Jesus

United States

FIFA is coming down "hard" on 4 clubs for "entering into contracts that enabled a third party to influence the club’s independence in employment and transfer-related matters and failing to enter mandatory information into ITMS."

Santos of Brazil got a 75k Swiss franc fine, Sevilla got a 55k Swiss franc fine, Twente got a 185k Swiss franc fine. Some other Belgian club got a fine as well.

Link
    Last edited by Kakaroto; 30 Mar 16 at 16:38.
    Platano Power
    You Fuck With Me You Fucking With The Best

10. Thanks (2): MVD, Redbullsnation

South Africa

"55k swiss franc fine" What a joke. Is that supposed to mean something? It's not a deterrent and it isn't a solution so it's basically a meaningless slap on the wrist. More like a pinch than anything else.

12. Thanks (2): Redbullsnation, thatdude

Fav. Player
    Skrinrar

Scotland

31 Forum Supporter Most Improved Member
    a 75 swiss franc fine, surely you mean 75 k or has fifa gone even further down the shitter
    Strachan can suck my tiny schlong

Quote Originally Posted by Glass box View Post
    One day FIF should organize and we should go all together to watch a game. At least 50 people. Tickets are on me.

14. Thanks (1): Redbullsnation