Thread: Walter Mazzarri - A Missing Drill Sergeant

Old name
    browha

Europe

25 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF

Walter Mazzarri - A Missing Drill Sergeant

Repost from here

Walter Mazzarri was brought in with fans knowing full well what not to expect from him. We shouldn’t expect expressive free flowing football, nor should we expect excessive flair or an overly possessive style of football. But the one thing we were promised has, in my mind, failed to be delivered.

Walter Mazzarri was brought in as a real drill sergeant. I expected well defined team manoeuvres, a certain effective style of football (perhaps reminiscent of the 4-3-1-2 with Mancini) which, while unattractive, was effective. Perhaps even just physicality breaking down opponents, and a reliance on set pieces to create chances.

Walter Mazzarri

What do we have, though? With Walter Mazzarri, sadly, nothing like what we had hoped for. Last season’s failings were okay. We were a team in a lot of transition, with a lot of first teamers to leave. But where is the excuse for this season? We’ve spent a substantial amount of money and given him the chance to sign players he really wanted, but what have we got to show for it?

As classic Inter fans, a huge and unnecessary overreaction to the 7-0 win against Sassuolo probably didn’t help, but Walter Mazzarri did himself no favours by looking clueless in the subsequent 4-1 loss to then bottom of the table Cagliari. Adding insult to injury was the hat-trick by ex-Juventus player Ekdal.

The one thing that I keep seeing as a recurring theme is the lack of team coherency. I’m worried that our only real plan is an occasional moment of flair from genius but inconsistent players like Icardi (who has now not scored in 4 matches in a row, tonight possibly being his 5th?), Kovacic – often great often invisible – or Hernanes, and to cross. If there is one aspect of Inter’s game that Walter Mazzarri deserves credit for being a drill master in, it is the ability to make full-backs do nothing but cross 20 times a match. If only we could direct more than one out of every twenty of them to an Inter player, we might actually stand a chance of scoring more often.

The sad side persists when we look at the full-backs too. For all of Jonathan’s failings, he has contributed significantly less so far this season than he has last season. The same is true of Nagatomo. Dodo, on the other hand, has been quite impressive to date, but there has to be a question of how much longer we persist in playing Jonathan.

I can’t help but feel that our game is massively limited by this completely inexplicable desire to play the ball out to the wing backs – dragging them far forward and leaving them out of position for a defensive phase – which also forces us to play the ball away from central midfield. Central midfield, ironically, is probably the strongest area of the team, with ball-players like M’Vila, Hernanes and Kovacic all capable, and a great new defensive stalwart in Medel to enforce.

I really need to see a step up from Inter sometime soon. We’re still playing like the unorganised team of Stramaccioni or Ranieri, showing no ability to actually exploit our attributes. I was prepared to accept – hesitantly – last season, but this season, given the budget Walter Mazzarri has had, as well, we really need to see results.

2. Thanks (6): Devious, Guney, morrisama, nurko, Wings, Y&h

Fav. Player
    3, 4, 9, 10, 11

Kuwait

30 FIF Special Ones Comedic Post of the Year
    I remember debating once on Inter.theoffside, that after the treble the management should have paved the way for a newer generation led by a man who could match Jose's presence with the old guard. The squad circumstances between 2010-2014 were similar to ones we went through during Facchetti's retirement. It was also the time when Eugenio Bersellini (nickname the drill sergeant too) managed us for 5-6 years in a transition phase that saw the emergence of Altobelli, Baresi, and Bergomi to Inter & Italy.

We needed a tough guy like that in those "lost" years.

South Africa

Quote Originally Posted by Y&h View Post
    We needed a tough guy like that in those "lost" years.
    don fabio. He wouldn't have let the dressing room lose motivation after mou left.

re mazzarri:

he was never the right choice. name me one good coach without great players that gets results without playing attractive football?

take out the 7 goals from sassuolo win, and we're one of the worst teams in the league offensively. thohir has spent close to 70 million on mazzarri's requests and renewed his contract for the next few years - sadly he sees him as the man that can get inter into the "top 10 clubs in the world within the next two years".
    Last edited by bandiera; 02 Oct 14 at 23:05.

Fav. Player
    Schelotto

Brazil

As much as I despise him, this is not his ceiling. The problem is he's trying to be Conte/Guardiola instead of playing counterattack like he did at Napoli.

He set his Napoli team for breakneck pace counterattacks, here he's doing the exact opposite even though our players are much suited for a more direct style. I've never seen one decent counterattacking scheme, it's all individualistic opportunistic attempts.

He tries to maintain possession, circulate the ball, move it slowly from side to side, but we're just not that type of team. I've seen so many counterattacking opportunities but we never took advantage of them properly.
    Team #Dare2Mazzari #Messi4Inter #Messi4AsadoClan

6. Thanks (1): Cal

Fav. Player
    Ronaldo L.N.D.L

Albania

Mazzarri is a complicated subject. I'd say no one here has the capacity to analyze him properly, so I see this article a a failure, browha. If he wasn't the Inter coach, then and only then you might get some sound insight - best to give your opinion of him while he was in Napoli, and even then, you or anyone else here, including myself, can only scrape a faux 'editorial' title, be it missing or hitting drill sergeant, major, marshall etc.

I can only say this much: the reason this guys football looks <insert your negative opinion here>, or all of the other ones before him, is solely due to the Mourinho success, whose football btw is sometimes dubbed as literally 'killing the beauty of the game', by people much more capable than FIF users or Inter fans in general. And let's not forget that we were used to big names here - ultimately the players perform, despite tacticts and instructions. We had some of the biggest names in the history of football at this club, and players like them are becoming exctinct, so there's that other aspect of bias at the attempted snob fail-stamp at the coach, because now that the rare players don't exist, the only one to take any kind of blame whatsoever is him.

I actually think that he's one of the top 5 italian coaches.

Old name
    browha

Europe

Theres a huge difference between mourinhos hyper effective football and mazzarris pass it out wide abd cross it in tactic. Just because neither is pretty does not mean both are alike. Mourinho creared extremely well drilled teams, wm cant even do that

Fav. Player
    The Bro

Italy

Quote Originally Posted by Armes View Post
    I actually think that he's one of the top 5 italian coaches.
    Really? I'd rate him top 10, but not top 5. Imo Conte, Allegri, Spalletti, Montella, and Mancini are better than him.
    "Moggi was just a grape in a vineyard of bullshit"

United States

Best Football Poster Nicest Poster
    Montella's done nothing to be considered better then him IMO. Better to watch, but he hasn't achieved better results, and he has pretty much had eqaul oppurtunity. If anything he has had more established world class players (Gomez & Rossi) come into his team then Walter ever did at Napoli.

I know he hasn't really gotten a chance to use them, but again Walters staff is top notch in keeping players injury free so again props to him.

11. Thanks (1): WLEXT

Fav. Player
    Schelotto

Brazil

Quote Originally Posted by thatdude View Post
    Montella's done nothing to be considered better then him IMO. Better to watch, but he hasn't achieved better results, and he has pretty much had eqaul oppurtunity. If anything he has had more established world class players (Gomez & Rossi) come into his team then Walter ever did at Napoli.

I know he hasn't really gotten a chance to use them, but again Walters staff is top notch in keeping players injury free so again props to him.
    Established world class players that can't play more than 2-3 months without season ending injuries. Fiorentina was absolutely fantastic with Rossi up top. And the appeal of the football matters A LOT.

And that's the whole thing with Mazzari. He only knows how to get the best out of heavily physical players, and not technical ones.

13. Thanks (1): morrisama

United States

Quote Originally Posted by Fapuccino View Post
    Established world class players that can't play more than 2-3 months without season ending injuries. Fiorentina was absolutely fantastic with Rossi up top. And the appeal of the football matters A LOT.

And that's the whole thing with Mazzari. He only knows how to get the best out of heavily physical players, and not technical ones.
    Perhaps we aren't giving enough credence to the fact that these injury problems may be the making of Montella and his staff? Rossi I don't think anyone can take blame for other then the Fiorentina management who knew they were taking a risk. However, recurring injuries is not a bad luck thing in most cases, its a training thing. One of Mazzarri's strong points is keeping players off the treatment table (hope I don't jinx us). It doesn't seem to be one of Montella's.

Fav. Player
    Il Capitano

Pakistan

That article above is just way too harsh. It makes it look as if we've been conceding goals like last season and having trouble scoring. We've scored plenty this season, our strikers are firing including both Icardi and Osvaldo and our midfielders too including Kovacic. Apart from Cagliari, we only had conceded 2 goals if I remember so lets be a little more patient before judging already.

As for the Cagliari fuckup, we have no idea what and why it happened. Was it fatique or was it over-confidence? I don' think even Mazzari knows the answer. I'm sure what Mazzari definitely knows is that if he fails to get 3rd spot, its going to cost him his job.
    Spoiler: text 

Old name
    browha

Europe

Quote Originally Posted by A.l.i View Post
    That article above is just way too harsh. It makes it look as if we've been conceding goals like last season and having trouble scoring. We've scored plenty this season, our strikers are firing including both Icardi and Osvaldo and our midfielders too including Kovacic. Apart from Cagliari, we only had conceded 2 goals if I remember so lets be a little more patient before judging already.

As for the Cagliari fuckup, we have no idea what and why it happened. Was it fatique or was it over-confidence? I don' think even Mazzari knows the answer. I'm sure what Mazzari definitely knows is that if he fails to get 3rd spot, its going to cost him his job.
    We've not done well against any top opposition yet.. A win against Sassuolo and Atalanta is all we have really. Everyone else has been shit.

Quote Originally Posted by thatdude View Post
    Perhaps we aren't giving enough credence to the fact that these injury problems may be the making of Montella and his staff? Rossi I don't think anyone can take blame for other then the Fiorentina management who knew they were taking a risk. However, recurring injuries is not a bad luck thing in most cases, its a training thing. One of Mazzarri's strong points is keeping players off the treatment table (hope I don't jinx us). It doesn't seem to be one of Montella's.
    kinda funny

with montella its his fault the players are injured

with stramaccioni its not his fault

United States

Quote Originally Posted by browha View Post
    kinda funny

with montella its his fault the players are injured

with stramaccioni its not his fault

Woah woah. I really hope you're not putting words in my mouth.

Stramaccioni may have in fact been behind our injury problems as well. From what I remember there were articles about the lack of fitness work done in training to try and "preserve" our senators. I'm not saying that anything is an exact science, but there is some science behind it. You think Arsenal's players are just magically more injury prone than say Chelsea's? Surely something must be in the air on their side of London right?

Fav. Player
    Sneijder

South Africa

We have no width (repeat x2)
    Our fullbacks are shit (repeat x2)

The way we play is the problem, not the personnel (by and large). Except for the fact that our personnel does not include any wingers! Bit of an oversight, that.

19. Thanks (1): Fapuccino

Fav. Player
    Schelotto

Brazil

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    We have no width (repeat x2)
    Our fullbacks are shit (repeat x2)

The way we play is the problem, not the personnel (by and large). Except for the fact that our personnel does not include any wingers! Bit of an oversight, that.
    Been saying this for so long. It's not only a problem of ours, but Rubentus is suffering the consequence of traditional Italian narrowness in CL too.

As I argued with Shaun a while back, it's not so much as there is no width, but we use that wingback width only to stretch out the play, rather than relentlessly attack with pace down the wings.

We need players that can take on defenders 1 v. 1, get to the byline, and cut the ball back. That's modern football. We need to stop with this slow, backwards, 3-5-Rube crap.

Fav. Player
    Zanetti

Australia

Forum Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Fapuccino View Post
    We need to stop with this slow, backwards, 3-5-Rube crap.
    I don't think a 3-5-12 is allowed.
    Awaiting the start of our youth project.

Fav. Player
    Bossvaldo

South Korea

89 Forum Supporter Most Humorous Member
    Mazzarri.. Funny guy really if you think about it.
    **I move away from the mic to breathe in

¯\_(ツ)_/¯