Thread: Indian Super League

Fav. Player
    Zanetti

England

Most Serious Member Transfer Guru

Indian Super League

Marco Materazzi has started his coaching career with the new Indian Super League, as a player-coach for Chennaiyin FC. His team includes players like the brasilian Elano and another ex-Inter (and Man Utd) player Mikael Silvestre. The ISL starts this week.

Considering there are some people of Indian origin here, here is my take on what is happening in India.

ISL is a new venture, basically an attempt to make football popular in India, and find an alternative to cricket in terms of TV viewership and sponsorship. They have copied some success factors from EPL, MLS and the hugely financially successful cricket IPL. The idea is to create a competition that catches the imagination of the Indian fans, by launching clubs with foreign stars and top Indian talent via a MLS style draft system. This league has attracted millions of pounds worth of investment, the TV production is targeted to be of "EPL quality". The 8 club "franchises" have been sold, attracting investment from glamorous Movie stars, cricketers, and even European clubs like Atletico Madrid and Fiorentina. The intentions are good all good, but some of the implementation is questionable.

The main problem comes from the Short Format: The brains behind this have decided that they can only catch the imagination of the Indian public for 2 months. So just 8 teams. This has led to many issues:

1. This competition is separate from the I-League, the actual Indian football top division. While they finally managed to force the traditional clubs to release their best Indian players for ISL, this only adds to the already cramped calendar for these players.

2. A 2 month competition means that this league cannot attract any foreign player who still values his career. Hence all the "stars" signed so far are either out of contract, or looking for retirement, sometimes both.

The good news is that they have managed to attract some stars (or famous ex-players) like Del Piero, Trezeguat, Luis Garcia, Capdevila, David James, etc and coaches like Zico & Colomba. So there is something to be excited about...

That is the problem with this gimmicky 2 month "unofficial league", it just doesn't excite the existing fans of the game. Lack of proper format makes one doubt the seriousness of this competition. It can only attract retired or out of contract foreign players, and has condemned itself to being like a "friendly", meaningless trophy. A waste of so much money and effort, which could have been so much better utilised to expand and improve the I-League, where we have clubs with history and an existing fanbase. Historic clubs like Mohan Bagan and East Bengal (both from Kolkata) attract over 100,000 fans into the stadium for the big games in I-League, will these fans really shift their alliances to Atletico de Kolkata so quickly, and only for 2 months? For example, if FIGC start a new tournament in Italy with new clubs including one new franchise from Milan, will the fans of Inter and Milan start supporting this new team?

Yes, it is harder and more time consuming to market a season long tournament, I get that. But its a proven and sustainable format all over the world, and that success (once it comes) will have a lasting impact. They could have added new franchises to the I-League, maybe even added a shorter version Cup format which is more marketable in the short term... all that money into the I-League could have really helped the sport in the long run, as clubs could then afford to buy better foreign talent. And invest in youth academies. So much was possible. Like the J-League showed us.

But no, instead we have a new conflicting format which raises more questions than it answers... what happens next season if some I-League clubs refuse to loan out their players to ISL clubs? And what happens to Indian players, who are already playing way too many games in hot conditions, when they have to fit in the ISL games into their already cramped schedule? What about the development of football in India, will ISL clubs invest in youth academies?

Even if all the media hype does help make football more popular in India, does ISL help or damage Indian football?

Some of the big names involved in ISL include:
    Robert Pires (FC Goa)
    Fredrik Ljungberg (Mumbai City FC)
    Nicholas Anelka (Mumbai City FC)
    Luis GarcŪa (Atlťtico de Kolkata)
    Del Piero (Delhi)
    David James (Kerala)
    Joan Capdevila (NorthEast United)
    Elano (Chennaiyin)
    Mikael Silvestre (Chennaiyin)
    Marco Materazzi (Chennaiyin)
    David Trezeguet (FC Pune City)
    Katsouranis (FC Pune City)
    Zico (Goa ) - Manager
    Peter Reid (Mumbai) - Manager
    Colomba (Pune) - Manager

European clubs have also invested in ISL, with Fiorentina owning 15% of FC Pune City, Atletico Madrid owning part of Atletico de Kolkata, and Feyenoord have partnered with Delhi Dynamos FC.

For all my doubts, this league will certainly bring a lot of local media attention to football for the first time. I hope that creates a ripple to awake football's "sleeping giant". Exciting times.

2. Thanks (3): Dylan, Fapuccino, Karamja

Fav. Player
    Solskjśr

India

18 Forum Supporter
    We just have to see how it is received. If the matches start at 6:30 PM IST then it's a flop. It should start around 8. Kabbadi pro league was a big hit as it was just for 1-2 months, started around 8 when you just relax and watch some tv and also because every min was exciting. Hopefully ISL follows the same pattern. Also every match was a sell out in Kabbadi, ISL should use every possible movie stars to catch people attention.

Also very disappointed that there is no Bangalore franchise. We are I league champions and home for the best Indian player.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cal View Post
    I think the point is theres a fine line between comming across as a learned individual and comming across as a bit of a wanker, and utilising every corner of your vocabulary on a global internet football forum with people many of whom don't have don't have english as their first language makes you come across as the latter.

Fav. Player
    Zanetti

England

Most Serious Member Transfer Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by monster09 View Post
    We just have to see how it is received. If the matches start at 6:30 PM IST then it's a flop. It should start around 8. Kabbadi pro league was a big hit as it was just for 1-2 months, started around 8 when you just relax and watch some tv and also because every min was exciting. Hopefully ISL follows the same pattern. Also every match was a sell out in Kabbadi, ISL should use every possible movie stars to catch people attention.

Also very disappointed that there is no Bangalore franchise. We are I league champions and home for the best Indian player.
    True, but Kabbadi did not have an existing model which works all over the world, like it does in football. I wish all the investment into the ISL had gone to upgrade the I-League. The new franchises could have been a part of the Indian top division, with a season long format. They could have easily incorporated a "Cup competition" with a 1-2 month format for all the marketing purpose. But a season long league, including the traditional top clubs in India, would have done wonders for the popularity and development of the sport in the country. It would have enabled the new franchises to actually invest in proper young talent from abroad, using the traditional transfer windows, instead of just looking for out of contract players. And it would have been competitive.

I have serious doubts about the competitiveness of the ISL, you cannot build teams in 1-2 months. This might end up just as a gimmick, rather than a proper competition. None of these franchises will get to play in the Asian Champions League, for example. And they have no incentive to invest in Indian youth development.

5. Thanks (1): Dylan

Fav. Player
    Solskjśr

India

18 Forum Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluenine View Post
    True, but Kabbadi did not have an existing model which works all over the world, like it does in football. I wish all the investment into the ISL had gone to upgrade the I-League. The new franchises could have been a part of the Indian top division, with a season long format. They could have easily incorporated a "Cup competition" with a 1-2 month format for all the marketing purpose. But a season long league, including the traditional top clubs in India, would have done wonders for the popularity and development of the sport in the country. It would have enabled the new franchises to actually invest in proper young talent from abroad, using the traditional transfer windows, instead of just looking for out of contract players. And it would have been competitive.

I have serious doubts about the competitiveness of the ISL, you cannot build teams in 1-2 months. This might end up just as a gimmick, rather than a proper competition. None of these franchises will get to play in the Asian Champions League, for example. And they have no incentive to invest in Indian youth development.
    But if they just invest money in I league it won't be as popular as shorter formats. I mean now there is a news that something new is started and people will watch it to see what's this really about, if it is just upgrading I league then people will just ignore it.

Yeah something should be done to improve I league an hopefully this ISL is just a start to attract fans to the stadium.
    I think the point is theres a fine line between comming across as a learned individual and comming across as a bit of a wanker, and utilising every corner of your vocabulary on a global internet football forum with people many of whom don't have don't have english as their first language makes you come across as the latter.

Fav. Player
    zamorano
    Old name
    noxxaro

Japan

Can't wait for the next giornata
    Solo Internazionale 1908

8. Thanks (1): Earth

Fav. Player
    Solskjśr

India

18 Forum Supporter
    Good opening day and what a goal to score on the first day..

https://v.cdn.vine.co/r/videos_h264h...fbK5gyJW7hC.Dw

10. Thanks (1): Fapuccino

Fav. Player
    Solskjśr

India

18 Forum Supporter
    Good goal by Koke for Northeast. Surprised by the quality of the game.

Fav. Player
    Solskjśr

India

18 Forum Supporter
    Del Piero

Fav. Player
    Solskjśr

India

18 Forum Supporter
    Pires diving in ISL too

14. Thanks (1): crzdcolombian

Fav. Player
    #FreeInsigne

Netherlands

Whatever team is from Bombay is my favourite team.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlen View Post
    The problem with this kind of site in english is the international brand of supporters from non-footballers or non-top-footballer countries..
    You see people from Colombia, Oceania, Ireland(i think) pretending that at least ONCE in their life they saw a young wc talent arriving and becoming a world star.

Just a idea: if you want a serious debate about football, you should block everybody from countries that NEVER will win nothing and NEVER will have a balon d'or, for example.
    Whats the point about those guys opinions??? Can i go to some New Zealand chat and start to teach them how to recognize the better wc prospects among young Rugby players?
    Again, if you NEVER saw a young wc prospect struggling in his first years, like Kaka or Ronaldinho who were booed by they local supporters here, how could you judge????

Fav. Player
    Walter Samuel

Ireland

Sapphire.

17. Thanks (2): Pharaoh, ScottishInterista

Fav. Player
    Kovacic

Tuvalu

10 Forum Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dylan View Post
    Sapphire.
    Mmmmm Ginnnnnnnn

19. Thanks (1): Dylan

Fav. Player
    Zanetti

Andorra

Lot of star power there behind team Matrix. Sachin, Amitabh and the god Rajnikant himself are Chennai fans

Fav. Player
    Solskjśr

India

18 Forum Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by thorn View Post

Lot of star power there behind team Matrix. Sachin, Amitabh and the god Rajnikant himself are Chennai fans
    Nope. Sachin is Kerala owner. Yellow is kerala jersey.

22. Thanks (1): thorn

Fav. Player
    Zanetti

Andorra

Quote Originally Posted by monster09 View Post
    Nope. Sachin is Kerala owner. Yellow is kerala jersey.
    Tnx for the info. Btw heard that Chennai won the last match and are second in the table with a game in hand?
    Definitely getting more attention than I thought. Will check out some matches when I get more time

Fav. Player
    Solskjśr

India

18 Forum Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by thorn View Post
    Tnx for the info. Btw heard that Chennai won the last match and are second in the table with a game in hand?
    Definitely getting more attention than I thought. Will check out some matches when I get more time
    Yeah 2 points behind Kolkata with game in hand. Top 4 qualifies for KO round.

Btw Elano is awesome in this ISL. He is like Zidane Don't expect too much quality but it's a decent league/game. Almost all the teams tries to pass the ball rather than kicking aimlessly which is big plus for us.

Fav. Player
    Solskjśr

India

18 Forum Supporter
    Del Piero missed header from point blank range. Should have made it 1-1.

Fav. Player
    Solskjśr

India

18 Forum Supporter
    The Hero Indian Super League, inching closer to its halfway mark, has achieved the rare milestone of having registered the highest average stadium attendance for any football league in Asia.

At the completion of match 27 on November 9, the inaugural edition has had an average stadium attendance of 22,639, positioning ISL as the best attended league across Asia, ahead of competitions such as China's CSL, Japan's J-League and South Korea's K-League.

The attendance in stadia across the country has also made India score globally amongst the best football Leagues. ISL ranks the fifth highest football league in average attendance around the world, behind only Bundesliga, EPL, La Liga and Serie A, and ahead of the USA's popular MLS, French Ligue 1 and Mexico's Liga MX.

The average attendance ranks ISL as the 11th best attended Leagues across any sport around the world.

"We are delighted by the overwhelming response to the ISL's inaugural season. We have always believed in the potential of football, and the fans' support highlights the fact that football in the country needed the right platform.

"The popularity with which the ISL has been received only spurs us on towards realising the eventual dream of giving rise to a footballing nation. We take this opportunity to thank the people of India for extending such great support," an ISL spokesperson said.

The ISL is already the most watched non-cricketing sport in India with 275 million viewers tuning in over the first three weeks alone. The league has also dominated social media trends notching up over 5 billion impressions on Facebook and Twitter.
    http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/s...w/45123052.cms

Highest average attendance in ASIA and 5th highest in the world.

27. Thanks (2): Cal, thorn