Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roberto Mancini : Realistic Expectations

Old name
    browha

Europe

25 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF

Roberto Mancini : Realistic Expectations

here
    It’s official – Roberto Mancini comes back to Inter for his second spell.

Roberto Mancini

Inter fans are expressing mixed feelings everywhere – those of us who are older perhaps remembers some of the flaws of Roberto Mancini more clearly than the more recent fans. Among the issues, repeated selections of people he considered to be ‘friends’ was one of the most persistent ones. At the same time, Roberto Mancini is a man who isn’t afraid to really give people a try. He is probably the manager under whom Mario Balotelli has best performed, ever, and he saw him through a time where Inter could probably not even spell youth prospect, into one of the best Mario’s we’ve ever seen.

So, what do we have to say about Roberto Mancini’s upcoming spell at Inter? For one, I expect to see him develop a strong, solid team, compact and defensive. But then, as I write that, it strikes me that I said something very similar about his predecessor. I do expect an immediate reversal back to a flat back 4, where Vidic will be given another chance to shine. What is undoubtedly true is that Roberto Mancini is also a man who does like his consistent teams, and his veterans.

Dejan Stankovic, an Inter Legend and Roberto Mancini favourite

One thing that I think it is very important to consider before we launch into a discussion on Roberto Mancini is quite how different football is now. He doesn’t have a wide range of players whom he played with to call upon, nor does he have any particular favourites in Italian football, having been absent from it for a few years now. He also comes into a team which has, for better or worse, been significantly refreshed in the last few years, particularly this window, with youngsters like Mauro Icardi, Matteo Kovacic, Dodo, all coming through.

One somewhat irrelevant aspect I do also want to discuss briefly, is Erick Thohir. His responsiveness to fans in the last few months has been interesting – with sacking Walter Mazzarri clearly at least partially due to fan pressure (or else he would have been gone immediately after the previous game) – and the way he dealt with Guarin/Vucinic (which I’m also sure was partially a set up to get rid of Branca).

So, the story of Roberto Mancini in my opinion is one of slightly managing expectations. I have seen people say that he is a poor coach who is under the standard of Inter – and to them, I can only ask, what world do you live in? Roberto Mancini is by no means in the top tier of coaches internationally – talking about people like Guardiola, Mourinho, etc. But at the same time, he’s no failure. He’s a good coach, and to be honest, one better than we deserve right now. He should be at a smaller Champions League club, and instead he’s come back to deliver.

Given some of the failures we’ve had recently – where we have promoted lesser coaches to a bigger role, it’s about time we got a bigger coach into a lesser role. The last time we did that, with Jose Mourinho, I would say it ended well.

On a post script sidetrack, I’m also keen to see the impact on the youth. I know I have presented a somewhat conflicted story above – Roberto Mancini debuted something like 26 youth players in his previous time at Inter, but outside of Mario Balotelli rarely did they ever get a real chance for the club – but I think with our youth clearly significantly better now than under his previous tenure, things could get interesting.

Plus, what happened the last time he had a 17 year old striker who had a lot of potential?

Fav. Player
    R20,R9

Bosnia Herzegovina

just imagine when transfer window opens and all does roumours ( kolarov, dzeko , ballotelli ) �� just expect good attacking football

3. Thanks (1): Guney

Fav. Player
    Bossvaldo

South Korea

89 Forum Supporter Most Humorous Member
    Quote Originally Posted by browha View Post

Plus, what happened the last time he had a 17 year old striker who had a lot of potential?
    He became a little fucking prick.
    **I move away from the mic to breathe in

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

5. Thanks (4): Guney, Kakaroto, Stefan, wera

Old name
    browha

Europe

yeah, but he wasnt as bad under mancini as he subsequently got to be

7. Thanks (3): Guney, Stefan, Vincenzi

Fav. Player
    Skrinrar

Scotland

31 Forum Supporter Most Improved Member
    We are already getting linked with kolarov and clichy
    Strachan can suck my tiny schlong

Quote Originally Posted by Glass box View Post
    One day FIF should organize and we should go all together to watch a game. At least 50 people. Tickets are on me.

Old name
    browha

Europe

which is tbh meaningless. Im sure mancini hasnt even thought about that yet, but instead, is focussing on understanding our current players and trying to imrpove what we have now

10. Thanks (2): Stefan, thatdude

Fav. Player
    Spalletti!
    Old name
    icardiscores

Yugoslavia

91 Forum Supporter Most Pessimistic Member
    We were linked with half of Napoli when WM took over and we bought zero of them
    So you know...

Fav. Player
    Icardi

Poland

Nice article, good job. it's always nice to hear that one of the most realistic, cold-headed users here see the future rather in bright colours, sharing the same opinion as I have

United States

Mancini has accepted the project..... and is aware of the economic situation at Inter.

Fav. Player
    Zanetti

England

Most Serious Member Transfer Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Starmo4 View Post
    just imagine when transfer window opens and all does roumours ( kolarov, dzeko , ballotelli ) �� just expect good attacking football
    Good attacking football? That might be expecting too much. Mancio builds from the defense up. Remember all those draws in his first season with Inter? It was similar at City. Sure, initially with the enthusiasm that comes with a new coach (and the fact that we will probably replace a CB with an attacking player in the formation) might bring some attacking football. But over this season, I expect Mancio to focus more on developing a system in the defense. Which is something we really need at the mo.

I just want to see Inter develop a system, and start playing like a team. I don't mind if it takes a year or more. I am more comfortable about our future with Mancini, than Mazzarri. I expect gradual improvement, and CL qualification latest by next season, if not this season.

Fav. Player
    Schelotto

Brazil

I'm not expecting much tbh. Play better football than Mazzari, no 3-5-shit, but still defense minded. Not expecting 3rd spot this year for sure. Might happen but highly unlikely.

#1 thing I'm looking forward to is some signs of a fucking offensive plan. Some movement or something, and not just endless crosses.
    Team #Dare2Mazzari #Messi4Inter #Messi4AsadoClan

16. Thanks (3): Bluenine, morrisama, thatdude

Fav. Player
    Emre

Indonesia

I just want a consistency form from Inter's mancini.... Inter will play good football? imposibbru, i watched inter since 1997 and they never play a good football, even under mourinho,... I believe in you, Mancio!

Fav. Player
    Diego Milito

Ireland

and then we lose to Milan and Roma and the I hate Mancini bandwagon starts rolling...

Mancini, lots of draws in his first season, didn't have a game changer in that season, like Ibra. Lets not forget, Ibra almost single handily won us the scudettos under Mancini....Lets hope we find a game changer for this year.

Otherwise, I predict, some more draws, better football though but no UCL this season. However, I think Mancini is a good appointment at this stage and as stated above, much more confident with an Inter building for the future with Mancini at the helm rather than Mazzari.

Denmark

I also have mixed feelings about Mancini. I remember the things you are talking about, how he would pick a "friend" to play even though he sucked badly.. But I also remember that Mancini was a fighter in the sense that he would really show emotions and anger when things didn't go well.. I really think the Sampdoria comback, 3:2 in less than 5min before game ends is a great scenario of how he is. He plays good football that you like to see, and not boring shit like Mazzarri where you feel like you are sleeping for 90min.

An other thing worth to add is that he also DID win us quite a few titels, so let's see.. A lot of it is going to be luck as well, but one thing is for sure.. He can't play any worse than Mazzarri did..

Fav. Player
    ₩€$£€¥

Macedonia

6 Forum Supporter
    Forza Mr X
    INTERISTA 4 EVER

“I don’t think the formation model counts, it’s all about the principles and the attitude" - Stefano Pioli

21. Thanks (4): Dylan, Kazaan, Lui, wera

Fav. Player
    Telles

United States

My expectations...

Teach them how to pass to players on the move going forward.

Teach them how to pass to feet instead of knees and hips.

Teach them how to shoot at the net - the one between the posts, not the one 10 feet behind the goal.

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

Egypt

Nicest Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Mortimer View Post
    My expectations...

Teach them how to pass to players on the move going forward.

Teach them how to pass to feet instead of knees and hips.

Teach them how to shoot at the net - the one between the posts, not the one 10 feet behind the goal.

Shit doesnt happen

24. Thanks (3): Kazaan, MVD, Redbullsnation

Fav. Player
    Il Capitano

Pakistan

This thread. We should just remain silent these days tbh.
    Spoiler: text 

Fav. Player
    Schelotto

Brazil

Quote Originally Posted by Fapuccino View Post
    I'm not expecting much tbh. Play better football than Mazzari, no 3-5-shit, but still defense minded. Not expecting 3rd spot this year for sure. Might happen but highly unlikely.

#1 thing I'm looking forward to is some signs of a fucking offensive plan. Some movement or something, and not just endless crosses.
    Time for necroing. This is why I'm an atheist.
    Team #Dare2Mazzari #Messi4Inter #Messi4AsadoClan

Fav. Player
    Squad Depth

Canada

Ive a feeling we'll start out a bit flat with some weak draws, and wins. I don't think its clear to Mancini yet who our starting eleven is. Ideally, we should have an upgrade at fullback, and perisic. I think we have a fringe 3rd place team, but its not guaranteed. If mancini can get more out of his squad in terms of intensity, then we might surprise, but as it stands, 4-5th place seems the likely finish.