Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glazer takes control of Manchester United

Fav. Player
    J. Zanetti, Fig

Glazer takes control of Manchester United

American business tycoon Malcolm Glazer has bid 790.3 million for Premiership giants Manchester United.
    Glazer is the majority shareholder at United after buying Irish racing tycoons JP McManus and John Magnier's 28.7 percent stake in the club.
    The owner of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers NFL team now owns 56.8 percent of The Red Devils after adding to his existing 28.1 percent share in the club.
    It is bad news for the supporters who have strongly opposed the takeover and threatened to boycott matches and sponsors associated with the club in protest.
    Glazer had been given until May 17 to 'put up or shut up' but his ability to persuade McManus and Magnier to sell their Cubic Expression stake has completely altered the picture regarding ownership of the club.
    With that obstacle out of the way, the path seems clear for the American businessman to take over the Old Trafford outfit.
    The Irish duo stand to receive an estimated figure of up to 60 million for their stake and the shares in the club rose substantially on Thursday in the wake of the major development.
    Analyst Dr Bill Gerrard told Sky Sports News that he shares the fears of the United supporters.
    "They certainly have every right to be very, very concerned," stated Gerrard. "The only redeeming argument to make is that anyone coming in to any sports team, if they are going to make it successful in the medium to long term, has got to win the fans over.
    "But Glazer is no Roman Abramovich - he has borrowed much of the money to buy United."
    Glazer needs over 75 percent stake in the club to tie up the financial loose ends of any takeover.
    "The reality is that Manchester United has fallen into the hands of the American Malcolm Glazer and it was always on the cards," City stockbroker Henk Potts informed Sky Sports News.
    "It always came down to what the Irish guys wanted to do. It was simply an investment for them so the 300p Malcolm Glazer was willing to offer was always going to be the knockout bid.
    "Malcolm Glazer is in control and he will determine what happens to Manchester United.
    "Of course you've got Shareholders United who own a decent amount of shares, maybe if they can get up beyond the 25 percent mark then they could still prove to be a thorn in the side of Malcolm Glazer but once you get over 50 percent mark, you are the guy who is going to determine what happens to Manchester United."
    Nick Towle of Shareholders United pledged that it is not the end of the matter entirely.
    "It is looking like an uphill battle for us but we will continue the fight," he told Sky Sports News. "There is no way we are going to give it up."

-skysports

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think we may be seeing the end of an era. The end of the era that is Man Utd. It's kind of sad since they were such a force in recent seasons but now I can see them being a mid-table 'ROMA' type team (or play most seasons like Roma has done so far in 04/05).

I've never really liked Man U and this season they've really p-ssed me off with their constant squad rotation and frustrating inability to score a lot of the time.

One thing is for sure... all the glory hunters who've been affiliated with Man U in the past decade will be supporting Chelsea now I bet.

Oh well.. as the old saying goes..

CHE PECCATO.

Fav. Player
    Internazionale

Re: Glazer takes control of Manchester United

Quote Originally Posted by primo-inter
    One thing is for sure... all the glory hunters who've been affiliated with Man U in the past decade will be supporting Chelsea now I bet.

Oh well.. as the old saying goes..

CHE PECCATO.
    That's true, I don't think it's a good thing for ManU. I hate it when people that know nothing about soccer butt in for the name and the glamour. But that's what you get when thinking that you are more than a soccer club, and doing fancy Asian tours and believe you are bigger than life.

BTW, what does Che Peccato mean?

Indonesia

32 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF Most Important Member
    Sherif is gonna be mad...

I pray for Man Utd. I don't really like them but this move is not only bad for Man Utd but for the game of football itself. This may encourage a lot of billionaires to do the same disgusting act in the future.

Handyo

Fav. Player
    Internazionale

Quote Originally Posted by Handoyo
    Speaking of the red devil, where is he? Haven't seen him for ages.

I wanted to ask you about him, did you hear anything from him? I hope things are fine with him. He had a good soccer knowledge.

Sorry to say this but, I like it.

Muhaaa :twisted:

I like it when one of the clubs I hate is fucked, and now it has happend to Man utd. Now those arrogant arseholes from Man utd is paying the price for what they have done.

I would bet my arse on that he will drain the till.. And leave Man utd on the verge of bankruptcy.

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Hamed
    He had a good soccer knowledge.
    He HAS a good soccer knowledge.

Ciao,
    Tim
    MAI STATI IN B

Syria

10 years of FIF
    Speaking of the red devil, where is he? Haven't seen him for ages.

I wanted to ask you about him, did you hear anything from him? I hope things are fine with him. He had a good soccer knowledge.
    lol he was a majnoon! hope he doesnt read that.

Fav. Player
    Internazionale

No, Shareef was great, he just snapped once after the Roma tie in the first half. But that outburst was classic, Tommi saved some of it and I couldn't stop laughing at his bits, specially the one about CZ, it's still being used at times

Syria

10 years of FIF
    lol nah i know his a good man, except whenever i read his posts, he wasnt a happy man.

Fav. Player
    Internazionale

He got upset on me once when I said Terry was better than Rio, but Mohammed is class.

Just like another person got upset on me when I said Terry was overrated

Fav. Player
    J. Zanetti, Fig

Hamed, 'che peccato' means what a pity.

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

Singapore

No, Shareef was great, he just snapped once after the Roma tie in the first half. But that outburst was classic, Tommi saved some of it and I couldn't stop laughing at his bits, specially the one about CZ, it's still being used at times
    Really? I got to get that from Tommi. I don't remember seeing it.

Ciao,
    Tim
    MAI STATI IN B

Indonesia

10 years of FIF
    Is this confirmed? Is Glazer really going to take over Man Utd? This is certainly bad news for Man Utd fans, considering they have been opposing him for all this time. Not that I'm particularly fond of Man Utd, though.
    Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica.

yeah he owne 57 % of the club, but in order to get totaly controle over the club he need 75% of the stocks. So if he succed in getting 18% more then it's bad for man utd very bad. And it should be very posible for him to get it.

Indonesia

32 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF Most Important Member
    Adriano/Mikell, I could care less what happen to Man Utd actually but as I have said, this is potentially threatening for the game of football itself. If he is to succeed with Man Utd, many more billionaires will be encouraged to takeover clubs and these tycoons know $hit about football. All they're interested in is just to make money. Inter, our own club, can even be in a danger of a takeover too.

What I really cannot fathom is why Glazer insisted so much on buying Man Utd. Majority of the Man Utd fans have threatened to boycott the club buy not attending games or buying merchandises from the club. This basically means a lot of loss in revenue too. How is Glazer planning to recoup the 790 million Pounds he needs to spend to takeover Man Utd? Even if the whole squad is sold, it won't be able to recoup even 25% of the cost!

Handyo

Fav. Player
    Zanetti

South Africa

Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    What great news. Now when will the same happen to milan,huventus,real madrid and all the epl clubs.
    Forza Inter per sempre!!!!
    Jose responding after the derby:"We could only have lost by having six people on the park, as even with seven, we would have won. "
    New Domain name
    www.forzainterforums.com

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

Singapore

What I really cannot fathom is why Glazer insisted so much on buying Man Utd. Majority of the Man Utd fans have threatened to boycott the club buy not attending games or buying merchandises from the club. This basically means a lot of loss in revenue too. How is Glazer planning to recoup the 790 million Pounds he needs to spend to takeover Man Utd? Even if the whole squad is sold, it won't be able to recoup even 25% of the cost!
    I guess that's because he knows the fans aren't going to go through with their boycott attempts. Some might, but just how long are they going to hold out for? Eventually, these players are still going to support their club, with or without Glazer. The man obviously believes that he's going to be able to recoup whatever funds he has spent on acquiring a majority share in Man Utd. After all, being one of, if not the richest club in the world, profits are certainly high in margin.

Anyway, I hope Bill Gates becomes an Inter fan overnight.

Ciao,
    Tim
    MAI STATI IN B

Bahrain

Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    I remmember seeing a show with his son who was a big united fan..
    Ziyad Of Boston

Fav. Player
    Internazionale

Quote Originally Posted by Miki
    Really? I got to get that from Tommi. I don't remember seeing it.

Ciao,
    Tim
    Not sure what you mean! But he took it off a while after, but Don T saved it, that's I think what happened. I think he coined the phrase: Takes-off-his-shirt-and...

My name is Mikkel not Mikell

But yeah Han it might not be good for football. But there is not much we can do abouth it.

And besides I daubt that any billionaire would like to buy a club who's economical situation is just as crappy as ours, especially not if he wonts to earn money. The only one who might consider buying us is a new Abra... who wonts to win trophys and spend some of his fortune.