Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 111819202122 LastLast

Thread: Travelling

Fav. Player
    Spalletti!
    Old name
    icardiscores

Slovenia

91 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF Most Pessimistic Member Most Passionate Member
    Yep the Caribbean is loveliest place on earth for me... I want to own a bar there someplace on the beaches...lifelong dream
    Getting drunk there every night haha
    The people are cool af there like Pajo said.
    Cuba, Jamaica, wherever...

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk
    http://img-comment-lol.9cache.com/me...25_700wa_0.gif

Spallo Inter coach for the next 5 years!

Old name
    Jrg

Monaco

17 Forum Supporter
    Last edited by J..; 25 Nov 18 at 20:03.

3. Thanks (1): MVD

Fav. Player
    MILAN SKRINIAR

Netherlands

Hi guys,

This is for the guys coming from the Balkan. I'm planning to go on a short trip 6/7 days and want to visit Bulgaria and maybe Serbia/Romania. The only times i visited the Balkan was with Ajax so it wasn't like a tourist trip to say the least.

The main reason to visit the Balkan is to see the Roman sites which are quite amazing. I'm planning to visit Varna, Plovdiv and Sofia and maybe visit the ruines of the bridge that was build by emperor Trajanus on the Serbian side and cross over to Romania to visit the old city Sarmizegetusa (nowadays Hunedoara). I would like to know how it is to travel by train or bus in the Balkan. Is it cheap, is it safe etc. I'm planning to fly to Varna and start my trip from there and take the train to Plovdiv and Sofia and from there rent a car or travel by bus.

As i said i've only been there while visiting footballgames so i'm really ignorant about the Balkan and would like to know a bit more about travelling in the Balkan and if people speak basic English etc. I know the Balkan is alot different than Holland but will it be safe to travel alone with bus/train. Could someone give me some basic information and also if it's doable to visit these 3 countries in 1 week or will i miss out on beautifull countrysides or places to visit and should I only visit 1 country?

I'm also really interested in the culture and the people there, so I don't want to do only the standard things when you visit the Balkan but meet locals, eat the same things they eat, maybe even go to live music shows etc not the typical tourists stuff because thats not my cup of tea.

5. Thanks (1): MVD

Fav. Player
    Sergio Aguero!

Macedonia

10 years of FIF
    Sofia - Skopje is 240km. Come here too
    "This wonderful night will give us the colours for our crest: black and blue against a backdrop of gold stars. It will be called Internazionale, because we are brothers of the world."

Derby d'Italia, why the rivalry?
    My message to JuBe cunts

7. Thanks (2): Materazzi_23, MVD

Fav. Player
    Baggio

Bulgaria

Quote Originally Posted by Materazzi_23 View Post
    The main reason to visit the Balkan is to see the Roman sites which are quite amazing.
    Plovdiv would be the most representative and "cultivated" for Roman sightseeing, at least to my limited knowledge.

Here's a list of Roman ruins in Bulgaria, don't know how complete it is, but still.

I would like to know how it is to travel by train or bus in the Balkan. Is it cheap, is it safe etc. I'm planning to fly to Varna and start my trip from there and take the train to Plovdiv and Sofia and from there rent a car or travel by bus.
    Trains in Bulgaria have nothing to do with those in the Netherlands, trust me. They're painfully slow and outdated. Still, might be an interesting "experience" if you're into that kind of shit.

Buses are safe and cheap, relatively. Something like 15-20 Euro will suffice to get you from Varna/Burgas to Sofia for example and the trip takes four hours on average. Maybe a bit slower by bus. Can be a lot faster if you're into speeding.

As i said i've only been there while visiting footballgames so i'm really ignorant about the Balkan and would like to know a bit more about travelling in the Balkan and if people speak basic English etc. I know the Balkan is alot different than Holland but will it be safe to travel alone with bus/train. Could someone give me some basic information and also if it's doable to visit these 3 countries in 1 week or will i miss out on beautifull countrysides or places to visit and should I only visit 1 country?
    Most young people speak pretty good English, at least in Bulgaria. Guess it's the same for the region overall. Three countries in a week sounds quite a stretch for me, maybe make this 10 days? Although of course it depends on how you like to travel and sight-see. I'm perfectly fine with visiting a single city for three days, for example.

Travelling is safe. I mean, there's a lot of weird and/or nasty people, but that's generally the case everywhere in Europe. Expect nastier people on trains though.

I'm also really interested in the culture and the people there, so I don't want to do only the standard things when you visit the Balkan but meet locals, eat the same things they eat, maybe even go to live music shows etc not the typical tourists stuff because thats not my cup of tea.
    When you're in Sofia feel free to give me a call. I'll be happy to show you around to the best of my abilities.

I know a Dutch guy that lives here, maybe it'll be interesting for you two to meet as well.
    Inter is an artistic venture, almost poetic. It is capable of provoking immense, unreachable joy and bitter disappointment. It’s never done by half-measures.
    For me, Inter is the opening to new worlds and courage. It’s a strong passion, a marvellous illness. You can put up with the weaknesses and admire the courage, the same way you would with a son.
    — Massimo Moratti

9. Thanks (2): Materazzi_23, MVD

Fav. Player
    Julio Cesar

Canada

Quote Originally Posted by JJM View Post
    Yep the Caribbean is loveliest place on earth for me... I want to own a bar there someplace on the beaches...lifelong dream
    Getting drunk there every night haha
    The people are cool af there like Pajo said.
    Cuba, Jamaica, wherever...

Can you speak spanish?

11. Thanks (1): MVD

Fav. Player
    Spalletti!
    Old name
    icardiscores

Slovenia

91 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF Most Pessimistic Member Most Passionate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tanorini View Post
    Can you speak spanish?
    Dónde están mis malditas bebidas?
    Let's say yes... I could get around with not so much trouble but not an expert either

13. Thanks (2): MVD, tanorini

Fav. Player
    Adriano

Belgium

Dónde están mis malditas bebidas?
    Let's say yes... I could get around with not so much trouble but not an expert either

Donde esta la bibliotheca, señorita?
    Also a long time dream of me to do that.
    Forza Internazionale Milano
    Buffalo KAA Gent - Belgian Champions 2014-2015

http://forzainterforums.com/showthre...=1#post1395711

15. Thanks (4): JJM, Materazzi_23, MVD, tanorini

Fav. Player
    Spalletti!
    Old name
    icardiscores

Slovenia

Quote Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
    Donde esta la bibliotheca, señorita?
    Also a long time dream of me to do that.
    I knew this was gonna pop up at some point hahaha

Which literally means I don't negotiate! Yeah?

17. Thanks (3): KevinB, MVD, tanorini

Fav. Player
    Adriano

Belgium

I knew this was gonna pop up at some point hahaha

Which literally means I don't negotiate! Yeah?
    Sure! Just like hijo de puta! That means "Hey fella, want to have a beer?"
    Forza Internazionale Milano
    Buffalo KAA Gent - Belgian Champions 2014-2015

http://forzainterforums.com/showthre...=1#post1395711

19. Thanks (2): JJM, MVD

Netherlands

Anyone ever been to Lofoten?

21. Thanks (1): MVD

Fav. Player
    Baggio

Bulgaria

Quote Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
    Sure! Just like hijo de puta! That means "Hey fella, want to have a beer?"
    Ever since I picked up the last season of Narcos again I've continued my constant swearing in Spanish that I developed watching the first two. Puto malparido.
    Inter is an artistic venture, almost poetic. It is capable of provoking immense, unreachable joy and bitter disappointment. It’s never done by half-measures.
    For me, Inter is the opening to new worlds and courage. It’s a strong passion, a marvellous illness. You can put up with the weaknesses and admire the courage, the same way you would with a son.
    — Massimo Moratti

23. Thanks (3): JJM, Materazzi_23, MVD

Fav. Player
    MILAN SKRINIAR

Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by Pajo View Post
    Sofia - Skopje is 240km. Come here too
    Haha then i should go in the summer to visit the whole region. I find it hard to choose already because i'm not going for a long time. In all honestly I know to little of Macedonia to even know if it would be a good country to have a holiday.

Quote Originally Posted by Wobblz View Post
    Plovdiv would be the most representative and "cultivated" for Roman sightseeing, at least to my limited knowledge.

Here's a list of Roman ruins in Bulgaria, don't know how complete it is, but still.

Thanks Wobblz this list is very helpfull!

Trains in Bulgaria have nothing to do with those in the Netherlands, trust me. They're painfully slow and outdated. Still, might be an interesting "experience" if you're into that kind of shit.

Buses are safe and cheap, relatively. Something like 15-20 Euro will suffice to get you from Varna/Burgas to Sofia for example and the trip takes four hours on average. Maybe a bit slower by bus. Can be a lot faster if you're into speeding.
    Haha i can imagine I will have a little shock when I travel through the Balkan especiallyl by train/bus but I like that kind of stuff when I'm on holiday because you will learn the people and culture better then travel by plane go to your resort and travel back. I think a combination of bus/plane would be perfect for me especially because I want to see alot in not really much time.

Most young people speak pretty good English, at least in Bulgaria. Guess it's the same for the region overall. Three countries in a week sounds quite a stretch for me, maybe make this 10 days? Although of course it depends on how you like to travel and sight-see. I'm perfectly fine with visiting a single city for three days, for example.

Travelling is safe. I mean, there's a lot of weird and/or nasty people, but that's generally the case everywhere in Europe. Expect nastier people on trains though.
    Well maybe it's ignorant of me but because I don't know much about the Balkan I prefer to see alot of things in a short period of time. My fear is that I will be in 1 or 2 cities in those days and having regrets that I only saw this or that. If I visit alot of cities and enjoying my time I can always come back. And offcourse you have nasty people everywhere but in Western Europe the Balkan doesn't have a really good name so to speak, now I know offcourse that not everybody is a criminal/maffia or other stereotypes of the Balkan but I think you understand what I mean.

When you're in Sofia feel free to give me a call. I'll be happy to show you around to the best of my abilities.

I know a Dutch guy that lives here, maybe it'll be interesting for you two to meet as well.
    I will certainly do that, would be nice.

Really? Are there alot of Dutch people living in Bulgaria that you know?

25. Thanks (1): MVD

Fav. Player
    Miranda

Italy

70 Most Improved Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ADRossi View Post
    Anyone ever been to Lofoten?
    There is a user from the lofoten, Lyran. He once posted an image of his village on the fjord and wrote that if someone ever goes to the lofoten, he'd be happy to give tips

http://forzainterforums.com/showthre...aly-tips/page2
    My username has nothing to do with the player of loserpool fc, it is just a reference to an Italian novel.

27. Thanks (2): ADRossi, MVD

Serbia

Serbia - safe to travel, bus lines online are accurately updated daily (redvoznje.net and polazak.rs). Do not recommend trains, they are old, extremely unpredictable, often late/canceled/derailed, have no wifi or any other type of services on them. You can find hostels and accommodation for about 10-15eur, hotels probably go a bit higher in bigger cities. Fairly cheap for dutch standards I imagine.
    I live close to the Romanian border, Viminacium is a popular roman site close by.
    If you are travelling with your personal vehicle know that Serbs, Bulgarians and especially Hungarians can ocassionally be real cunts when it comes to crossing borders, be polite. I'm not sure how it works for EU people and vehicles but in Bulgaria you need a vignette for highways, local differences like that. Best to inquire immediately upon entering the country so that you don't end up paying retarded fines later on.
    If you end up needing any specific info feel free to PM me.

29. Thanks (2): Materazzi_23, MVD

Vatican

10 years of FIF Most Serious Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dax21 View Post
    SI'm not sure how it works for EU people and vehicles but in Bulgaria you need a vignette for highways, local differences like that. Best to inquire immediately upon entering the country so that you don't end up paying retarded fines later on.
    You can always bribe the cop when they catch you

Mind you that no one bothers to tell you this at the border control, so enter the first petrol station you find and ask for it. I think it's like 10 euros for a day and 25 for a week, something like that.

31. Thanks (2): dax21, MVD

Fav. Player
    MILAN SKRINIAR

Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by dax21 View Post
    Serbia - safe to travel, bus lines online are accurately updated daily (redvoznje.net and polazak.rs). Do not recommend trains, they are old, extremely unpredictable, often late/canceled/derailed, have no wifi or any other type of services on them. You can find hostels and accommodation for about 10-15eur, hotels probably go a bit higher in bigger cities. Fairly cheap for dutch standards I imagine.
    I live close to the Romanian border, Viminacium is a popular roman site close by.
    If you are travelling with your personal vehicle know that Serbs, Bulgarians and especially Hungarians can ocassionally be real cunts when it comes to crossing borders, be polite. I'm not sure how it works for EU people and vehicles but in Bulgaria you need a vignette for highways, local differences like that. Best to inquire immediately upon entering the country so that you don't end up paying retarded fines later on.
    If you end up needing any specific info feel free to PM me.
    That's indeed cheap for Dutch standards(my god how cocky sounds this) but that is also a good reason for me to visit the Balkan. For now i'm thinking that I will fly to Bulgaria/Serbia and travel by bus/train to the other cities. I will certainly send a PM for some specific info when I know where or when I will go. Did you ever take the train ride from Bar to Belgrade? From what I saw on YT it must me f*ckin amazing to take this train, the only bad thing is that it takes 11 hours but something like this attracts my interest. I just added Viminacium to my bucket list for this trip, amazing site! Is Kostolac a town where i can spend 2 days or is only Viminacium worth a visit? Thank you for the information so far!

Quote Originally Posted by brehme1989 View Post
    You can always bribe the cop when they catch you
    This was also for me the first thing that came to my mind.

33. Thanks (1): MVD

Serbia

Kostolac is a very small town only notable for its powerplant, you can probably walk its entirety in an hour. Nothing particularly notable to see. Viminacium is couple of kilometers away. Here's its website, it's also in english language and you can probably contact them about additional info: http://viminacium.org.rs

I live in Pozarevac, town next to Kostolac, which is also pretty small and without any notable sights. There is a small National Museum and a memorial park/hilltop called Cacalica. If you end up going to Viminacium you will probably pass through since it's a connecting town. Useful info to have is that there are bus rides between Pozarevac and Belgrade (the capital) pretty much every hour or so, and it's about an hour long ride. Belgrade and Novi Sad are big cities with plenty to see and explore. Novi Sad is also about an hour away north from Belgrade.

Keep in mind that it's probably quite colder here than in Holland, for the next two to three months temperature is around zero celsius during daytime, couple of degrees below that during the night, so pack accordingly. Snow is very possible as well.

Belgrade - Bar, yeah I took it couple of times as a kid. It takes between 10 and 12 hours, Montenegro's pretty much all mountains, hills and canyons so it makes for an interesting view if you are into train rides. If you end up in Montenegro for a day it might be worthwhile to visit Boka Kotorska bay, specifically Kotor, the old Medieval town. Herceg Novi is also nice to walk around in Boka Kotorska, very cozy town with fuckton of intertwined streets and alleys. Budva is notorious for its nightlife if you are into that kind of thing.

35. Thanks (2): Materazzi_23, MVD

Fav. Player
    MILAN SKRINIAR

Netherlands

Thank you for the usefull information! I will certainly use it when i'm planning my trip. The more information you guys give the more enthusiastic i become of visiting the Balkan.

37. Thanks (1): MVD

Fav. Player
    Miranda

Italy

70 Most Improved Member
    a friend of mine recently visited bran castle (supposedly, vlad the impaler aka "dracula"'s castle) in romania, near brasov and some 150 km north of bucharest. he was really enthusiastic in talking about it, seems like a place worth considering in a trip to the balkan area (although it's not technically "balkans" i guess)
    Last edited by firmino; 09 Dec 18 at 20:33.
    My username has nothing to do with the player of loserpool fc, it is just a reference to an Italian novel.