Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best International Defense

Fav. Player
    J. Zanetti, Fig

Best International Defense

I think Argentina's defense is probably the best.

Heinze-Ayala-W.Samuel-J.Zanetti

Italy's is very good though, as well.

Zambrotta-Cannavaro-Nesta-Panucci

The right back needs improvement though. God, I may even be wrong about Panucci, he isn't the current RB is he? An Italy match hasn't been broadcasted here since euro2004.

Indonesia

32 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF Most Important Member
    If I'm not wrong, Argentina uses a 3-men defence. J.Zanetti & Juan Pablo Sorin are their wing-backs, with the latter being their captain.

Italy's, on paper, looks the best. Buffon is miles ahead of any Argentinian goalkeeper and that plays a big factor. Too bad that Italy has not had any decent right back for quite sometime. Perhaps, in the future, Zambrotta can be used there while Chiellini, his so-called successor, is used on the left.

Handyo

It's Italy. Without a question..

Saarinen - Hyypia - Tihinen - Pasanen

Syria

10 years of FIF
    I use to watch them alot under Peckerman and it was always 3-5-2 or so.

He believe's and has said. "We will always defend with 1 extra defender then we are being attacked with" or soemthing like that.

Handoyo, wasnt Ayala captain? Sorin took over for some of the WCQ games, but overall why would he be captain? his not even close to being the most experienced, still young to.

Indonesia

Oh yeah.

I forgot that Ayala was injured in the recent Argentina games that I watched.

Handyo

Fav. Player
    El Principe

Italy

FIF Special Ones 10 years of FIF
    Erm... England anyone?

Rio? Campbell? King? Terry? A Cole?

Easily the best around.

Italy is up there with them though.
    22/04/07 15th
    18/05/08 16th
    16/05/09 17th
    16/05/10 18th
    22/05/10 CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE
    18/12/10 WORLD CHAMPIONS
    29/08/09 Milan 0 Inter 4 Thiago Motta, Milito (p), Maicon, Stankovic - Dominated and outclassed
    Materazzi World Champion

Syria

10 years of FIF
    they need a better RB. no i dont rate Nevilla anymore lol.

Fav. Player
    Internazionale

Glen Johnson is great, I think they should start giving him the chance. Although I wasn't impressed by the few times I saw him this season. A youngster like him can't learn from the bench.

Neville is good, but I never liked his performance with the NT. If I am not mistaken, he was the one that started their downhill slide in Euro2000 by needlessly conceding a penalty, can't remember against who but I think it was Romania.

Syria

10 years of FIF
    theres no doubt johnson hasa future, but atm his one of the worst Chelsea players in the team.

oh geez, did he played some bad games lol.

Indonesia

Quote Originally Posted by Frisko
    Erm... England anyone?

Easily the best around.

Italy is up there with them though.
    England's problem is that they don't have a proper ball-winner and they insist on Gerrard & Lampard in the middle. This does not give the back 4 a proper protection. Also, Gary Neville is perhaps the most mediocre right back and only God knows how did he once hold (Or does he still?) the record number of appearances in the Champions' League. England also do not have a proper goalkeeper. Paul Robinson is average IMO. Also, fast strikers will be a nightmare for their central defenders.

Handyo

Fav. Player
    El Principe

Italy

Quote Originally Posted by Handoyo
    England's problem is that they don't have a proper ball-winner and they insist on Gerrard & Lampard in the middle. This does not give the back 4 a proper protection. Also, Gary Neville is perhaps the most mediocre right back and only God knows how did he once hold (Or does he still?) the record number of appearances in the Champions' League. England also do not have a proper goalkeeper. Paul Robinson is average IMO. Also, fast strikers will be a nightmare for their central defenders.
    Handyo
    I agree with you on RB and keeper. I think Rio is fine against quick defenders, his sense of position is just amazing, just the same as Nesta's.

About holding midfielders, what the heck are you talking about? Insisting on Gerrard? He's the best defensive midfielder in the world! Lampard+Gerrard is the best central midfield in the world, no doubt.
    22/04/07 15th
    18/05/08 16th
    16/05/09 17th
    16/05/10 18th
    18/12/10 WORLD CHAMPIONS
    29/08/09 Milan 0 Inter 4 Thiago Motta, Milito (p), Maicon, Stankovic - Dominated and outclassed
    Materazzi World Champion

Indonesia

Maybe this is just me but I believe that despite the very thin line, there's a difference between defensive midfielder and a ball-winner. Both Gerrard & Lampard needs someone like Hamann or Alonso or Makelele beside them to allow him the freedom to roam forward. If either Gerrard or Lampard is willing to sacrifice those runs into the box and take up the more defensive role when the other is making those runs, then perhaps their central midfield can work. Until then Gerrard & Lampard will not function optimally and if they are facing an attacking midfielder who sits between them and the central defenders, someone like Kaka, then it will be a huge trouble for England.

For me, I would drop Beckham out of the squad and play Gerrard on the right. After all, he has all the quality that Beckham has plus more! Then, I would partner Lampard with Butt in the middle. I don't know how has Butt done for the past 3 seasons but he made a lasting impression in me back in World Cup 2002!

Handyo

Fav. Player
    El Principe

Italy

To me, Gerrard is a ball winner. I would never play Gerrard+Lampard+Butt at the same time, that's far too defensive.

And Becks is untouchable, he's essential to the NT. If he gets to the WC in the form he was against Barca, he could really make the difference.
    22/04/07 15th
    18/05/08 16th
    16/05/09 17th
    16/05/10 18th
    18/12/10 WORLD CHAMPIONS
    Materazzi World Champion

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

Greece

83 10 years of FIF
    Fyssas-Dellas-Kapsis-Seitaridis
    INTER PER SEMPRE!

RUBE MERDA

To me, Gerrard is a ball winner. I would never play Gerrard+Lampard+Butt at the same time, that's far too defensive.
    Garrard and Lampard are both more like allrounders. What you said surprises me cause we all know your opinion of Cristiano-Cuchu.

Syria

10 years of FIF

And Becks is untouchable, he's essential to the NT. If he gets to the WC in the form he was against Barca, he could really make the difference.
    This year under Mourinho Lampard has been quite good defensively. It was just as good as his offensive game, no one realises it though becaus it goes un rewarded, its the oppisote when you score.

So maybe Gerrard and Lampard arent the best individual ball winners in the world, but they certainly are fit and hard working. So when there on the same team, you will certainly have the cover you need.

Indonesia

Even though both of them have some ball-winning qualities, there could be an incident, if they are not too discplined, where both of them made their trademark runs into the box at the same time and thus exposing their back 4 into counter-attacks.

It's just like Vieira & Fabregas. Arsenal's defense suffered majorly when their ball-winner, Gilberto, was injured and the fact that both Vieira & Fabregas have to join the offensive plays in order for them to play optimally. Once Gilberto returns, combined with Sendoros' fine form, their defense is restored.

Handyo

Fav. Player
    Zanetti

South Africa

Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    Argentina has the best defense imho.
    Forza Inter per sempre!!!!
    Jose responding after the derby:"We could only have lost by having six people on the park, as even with seven, we would have won. "
    New Domain name
    www.forzainterforums.com

No. Gerrard is like a two way midfielder. He can attack and he can defend. He can win balls that is ture but he is not a definite ball winner (like Cristiano he is more like Cuchu). He is complete but his creativity is not a strength, Lampar is very much the same. That midifle pairing is awesome, it does provide cover and it does aid in the attacks.

To me the best defensive line means nothing is more how the team plays that will affect the defenders.
    "Dreams are illustrations from the book your soul is writing about you."

mms://a233.v8534f.c8534.g.vm.akamais...ANA_750_en.wmv

Fav. Player
    Il Capitano &am

Erm... England anyone?

why don't you mention Gary Neville?