Fav. Player
    Walter Samuel

Ireland

13 10 years of FIF
    5 extra hours? 5?
    david mcgoldrick

Syria

10 years of FIF
    Don't flatter yourselves, Perisic wants to be SOLD in the summer.

He does NOT want to be loaned.

The only way he will get his big transfer is that if he proves he is NOT finished.

Good news for us. Win/win.

3. Thanks (4): CafeCordoba, Dylan, MVD, rfU

Fav. Player
    4 & 10

Bosnia Herzegovina

35 10 years of FIF
    Probably fell asleep
    ... “Every time I see Walter Mazzarri’s Press conferences I have this doubt: Is he really such an idiot or does he just think we all are?”

Parma team manager Sandro Melli

5. Thanks (1): ElDuccio

United States

From Ivan Perisic's interview with FourFourTwo on January 2019

Did reaching the World Cup final last summer surprise even you?

We knew we had some exceptionally good players in our team, and definitely felt we could finally produce a tournament performance that corresponded with the quality we have. But I certainly wouldn’t say we were expecting to go all the way to the final. Of course, it was always something we wanted and were fighting for, but there was a lot that needed to go right in order for us to make it a reality. We missed that certain something in previous competitions, but in Russia all of the pieces fell into place and the rest is history. Our belief grew as the tournament went on.We felt it growing from game to game. Without that level of self-confidence, those results aren’t possible.

You thrashed Argentina 3-0 in the second game. How much belief did it give you that this team could do something special?

Of course, that victory was very important for our confidence – we outplayed them. They had only drawn their opening match [1-1 with Iceland], which meant the pressure was on them to get the win. That was a big factor for us. We were a bit more relaxed because we’d already won our first game against Nigeria, which, in fact, was probably our most important result of the entire tournament. It’s always crucial to win the first match of a competition like the World Cup. That takes away so much of the initial pressure and puts you in a rhythm.

Croatia’s knockout games against Denmark and Russia were full of drama and both went to penalties – were they mentally exhausting?

I had to stand and watch both of the shootouts from the sidelines because I’d already been substituted, but I was quite calm throughout. I just had this feeling that we’d survive the penalty lotteries. Whatever was thrown at us, it seemed like it was going to be our time. Even when Modric’s extra-time penalty against Denmark was saved by Kasper Schmeichel, or when we conceded a late extra-time equaliser against Russia, I still felt the same way.

How worried were you when Kieran Trippier fired England into an early semi-final lead?

It’s never pleasant to go 1-0 down in only the fifth minute – it’s even worse when that goal comes in a World Cup semi-final. That free-kick quickly disrupted our game plan, and meant England had the wind at their backs throughout the first half. If they’d scored a second goal, it would have been really hard to come back, although not impossible. We were ready for every scenario, and despite England being on top in those early stages of the game, I knew we’d get our chances. And the second half brought just that. We began to dominate on the pitch and took our opportunities. My goal gave us some extra power and strength, and I think if we’d been luckier in that phase of the match, we could have won before extra time.

Did you sense that England were sitting back and becoming too defensive in the second half?

Definitely. We could sense the nervousness in the England squad. As the match wore on, we grew in confidence, and if anything they got even more nervous. A lot of English journalists and pundits predicted we’d tire because we’d played extra time in our previous two games, but we showed that it was too simplistic to come to that conclusion. You can’t underestimate our passion and desire, even when we looked tired and exhausted. We went into extra time as the fresher and more compact team, and that finally led us to victory.

Talk us through your equaliser...

I’d had a few chances to score earlier in the tournament, but couldn’t quite find the net. I had a little bit of bad luck too, like when I hit the inside of a post against Russia, but I kept going and my persistence eventually paid off with the equaliser against England. I’d seen Sime Vrsaljko knock the ball in front of himself, and knew he was about to cross it into the penalty area. I knew he liked to whip his crosses into the box quickly, so I was prepared to attack the ball with my head or foot. I saw the ball falling in front of Kyle Walker and realised he was in a better position than me to get the ball. It was impossible for me to head it, so I stretched out my leg towards the ball and thankfully scored a really beautiful goal. In that moment, I felt pure euphoria and happiness. That goal was the turning point of the semi-final and I’m very proud to have scored it.

Once you’d equalised, did you know Croatia would win?

It gave us an extra boost of strength and energy that we needed for the rest of the match. After we scored, it was easier to play because it was like we were back at the start of the game – the difference being that now we had a psychological advantage. From that moment we were flying, and it was only a matter of time before we broke England down and sealed the victory.

You also got the assist for Mario Mandzukic’s extra-time winner – was that the most special night of your career?

Even though I may have had better games, that night was something really special. On the emotional side it will always remain the greatest night of my football career. It’s not every day you reach a World Cup final, especially having chipped in with a goal and an assist. It’s hard to imagine a better scenario.

You were only nine when Croatia lost to France in the semi-finals of the 1998 World Cup – what do you remember?

I remember it well. I watched every moment of that World Cup from my hometown, Omis, wearing a Croatia shirt just like all of the other kids. I always dreamed that one day I would have an opportunity to put on the checkered jersey and represent my country at the highest level. After 20 years, I was finally able to not only play for Croatia at the World Cup, but also surpass the legendary generation of 1998. Of course, that was one of the first things that went through my head straight after the full-time whistle against England – everything was so surreal. I’d done something that even the nine-year-old Ivan from Omis hadn’t dared dream of.

Then you became the first player to score for Croatia in a World Cup final. Describe the moment...

It’s always nice to score a goal in such an important match, but none of it really matters as much as winning the game. I would definitely have preferred not to score, but be the winner with my team-mates. The goal itself was nice, though. I received the ball on the edge of the penalty area and dummied to shoot with my right foot, but instead took a touch in order to create some space. I was then able to strike through the ball with my left foot, and place it past Hugo Lloris and into the bottom corner. I was completely overjoyed.

Yet just 10 minutes after your leveller you were harshly penalised for handball in the penalty area, with Antoine Griezmann scoring from the spot. Are you still shocked the referee gave that decision after checking with VAR?

That moment happened so fast, and I just didn’t have time to move my hand. I don’t know if the distance between me and Blaise Matuidi affects the assessment as to whether or not it was a penalty. A lot of pundits have said it was a mistake by the referee, but it’s not for me to say. It certainly felt harsh to be penalised for that in a World Cup final. Yes the ball hit my hand, but the deflection off Matuidi was so close to me that I couldn’t avoid contact. Maybe if the referee had reviewed that moment in real time, not in slow motion, he could have seen the speed of the ball and analysed the situation better.

Did you feel Croatia were actually the better side?

Our dominance was obvious. We dictated the pace of the match and controlled it, but that’s worth little to us if we don’t go on to win. The French played an extremely opportunistic type of football and it paid off. Maybe we could play like that and let them have the ball, but we have the type of players who are at their best when they have the ball, and who play attractive football. We take some satisfaction from the fact we played very well and didn’t succumb to the magnitude of the occasion. Refereeing decisions and luck were key factors in the game. We are proud of what we achieved, and our silver medals will forever act as a confirmation of our success.

What was it like when the team returned to Croatia after the final? Tell us about the welcome in Zagreb...

We had been told a lot of people were waiting for us at the reception, but what greeted us was unimaginable. More than half a million fans gathered to welcome us home, and thousands of flares were burning! The songs echoed from all sides and Croatia flags were everywhere. Thousands of them. It truly was like a dream. Only when you see the happiness and euphoria of these people, from the young to the old, do you realise how much you’ve achieved, not only for ourselves but for the whole nation. These people have their own problems, but with our success we were able to put a smile on their faces. I think this is the most important aspect of the story. We were actually a few hours late for the main ceremony because the open-top bus was unable to drive through such a mass of people. When we finally arrived on the stage it was like an earthquake. We felt the floor shaking.

What’s it like knowing you’re going to be a Croatian hero forever?

Just playing for the Croatian national team is something that makes me really proud, but to create such success in this shirt is something incomparable. I hope we’ve encouraged more kids to play football, to leave their mobile phones and computer games behind and go out on the courts and fields. I believe this will inspire another generation to repeat and surpass our record, just like the guys of 1998 inspired me.

How happy were you to see Luka Modric awarded the World Cup Golden Ball, and later the FIFA world player of the year award?

I’m extremely proud of him being named the best player in the world. I think the whole of Croatia should be proud that one of us is the best of the best. This is a great thing and we’re all happy that our captain has achieved it – he absolutely deserved it. He won the Champions League with Real Madrid for the third year in a row, and was second in the world with the national team. He was named the best player at the World Cup, and is always the engine of Real Madrid – without him they are never the same team. Every award he wins is fully deserved. A year this successful is very rare.

What makes him so good?

From my first days playing for Croatia, it was always a special pleasure to play with Luka. Even before I arrived in the team, I’d admired his skills. He knows exactly what to do with the ball and it’s great to have a team-mate with that intelligence and understanding of the game. I know that as long as I get myself into good positions, he’ll provide me with the perfect ball. He has a unique view of the game – with it he finds the perfect way to find team-mates at the perfect moment.

Was he also a leader in the dressing room during the World Cup?

Luka is one of the true leaders of our team. For many years he’s been one of the most important players in the side – he’s our number one and we all know that he’s our leader, but also the first among equals. He showed his leadership in Russia by taking responsibility during the most difficult moments.

This year you also helped Inter return to the Champions Leaguewith a dramatic 3-2 win at Lazio on the final day of the season. How big a moment was that in your career?

Inter hadn’t qualified for the Champions League in six or seven years, and for such a renowned club this was a very long time. Thankfully, we were able to bring Champions League football back to the San Siro. I’m really glad I was part of that story because it wasn’t an easy ride. The quality of the Italian league has improved a lot over the last few years, and there are several strong teams. We may not have a good enough squad to win the Scudetto, but we wanted to fight for a place in the top four and the Champions League. That match against Lazio was so stressful, and perhaps summed up our season in 90 minutes. We had to come from behind twice but eventually won, and it was an incredible feeling to celebrate at the Stadio Olimpico.

You kicked off this season’s Champions League campaign with 2-1 wins against Spurs and PSV. Have you enjoyed it so far?

I’m happy that I’ve been able to play in the Champions League again after several seasons away. I first played in it for Borussia Dortmund [scoring a late equaliser against Arsenal in 2011] but back then I was maybe the 12th or 13th player in the squad, so wasn’t involved in all of the matches. Playing on such a stage regularly has been something I’ve wanted for a long time. We started the group stage well, with six points from the first two games against Tottenham and PSV. Now we have to finish off the job in the final matches to see where we are in relation to the best teams in Europe.

Sime Vrsaljko and Marcelo Brozovic have now joined you at Inter. What’s it like having three of that Croatia squad at one club?

It’s great to share the club’s locker room with my team-mates from the national team – it’s always easier when you have someone who speaks the same language. Also, the three of us are very good friends off the pitch and that certainly enhances our lives in Milan. Inter have signed a top-quality player in Vrsaljko, and I’m sure Sime will help us to achieve good results this season.

How much has Luciano Spalletti helped you and Inter to progress since being appointed coach in June 2017?

When Spalletti arrived, I’d been really close to leaving the club, but he then showed tremendous desire to keep me in the team and made it clear he didn’t want to lose me. Naturally that was very flattering and encouraging, and I haven’t regretted my decision to stay at Inter for one moment. He has clearly made a big difference to our results and put Inter back among Europe’s elite clubs.

You were heavily linked with a move to Manchester United a year ago. How close did you come to joining them?

It’s true that an offer from Manchester United was on the table and I was close to leaving Inter. But I decided to stay and, as I said, Spalletti’s perseverance to keep me played a big role. In football, small details in these situations are key.

Were you flattered that Jose Mourinho admired you?

Admiration from a coach like Mourinho is definitely something that flattered me. It’s confirmation of hard work and good performances. When you’re praised by a guy like Mourinho – the manager of a huge club like Manchester United – it’s difficult not to think about such an offer. I’m glad he has a high opinion of me and these things motivate me to work hard and train hard, to achieve the best performances.

Is there any chance you could play in the Premier League one day?

In football, you never say never. From the beginning of my career, I’ve had the ambition to play in as many big leagues as possible, and I still have that desire to test myself in other leagues at some stage. And I mean in the Spanish or English leagues. I hope Inter fans can understand my point of view. I’m an athlete and a professional, I like challenges and this is my driving force. What the future will bring, I don’t know. Right now I’m focused on Inter, as we try to make an even bigger step forward from last season.

Fav. Player
    Radamel Fkingco

Colombia

10 years of FIF
    Quote Originally Posted by snake View Post
    Don't flatter yourselves, Perisic wants to be SOLD in the summer.

He does NOT want to be loaned.

The only way he will get his big transfer is that if he proves he is NOT finished.

Good news for us. Win/win.
    He can't be loaned he is 30 and in high wages. Only way we will get any money on him is to be sold
    VAR is some serious Bullshit!

Greece

10 years of FIF Best Football Poster Most Serious Member Most Stubborn Poster
    Another decent performance. Just needs that end product. Almost had an assist but Icardi missed the ball and hit it with his back or something.

9. Thanks (1): AbdiWirajaya

Fav. Player
    Marotta
    Old name
    Wallace

Brazil

88 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    Getting some shit done during the game.

Well done. (Same can be said for Nainggolan)

This kind of contribution is more useful than none for the past year.

I can see the ray of hope for the rest of the season.
    Dr. Marotta

11. Thanks (2): AbdiWirajaya, Harpsabu

Fav. Player
    JZ4

Didn't like how he had a go at Asamoah early on in the game then in the next play overhit s cross and smiled, amused with himself. His agent better work overtime to find him a club and decent payout for us.
    "Last person I called "Darling" was pregnant 20 seconds later!" Lord Flashheart.

13. Thanks (2): Adriano@10, bjwam4

Fav. Player
    Marotta
    Old name
    Wallace

Brazil

Yeah I thought he was a cunt with that too, but he stopped it after he did the same himself multiple times in the first half.

It probably takes a couple of mistakes for him to realise he’s just as bad as everyone else.

Once that is done, his cuntish behaviour should be alleviated.
    Dr. Marotta

15. Thanks (1): CafeCordoba

Fav. Player
    L'Imperatore
    Old name
    Hadrian

Estonia

10 years of FIF Forum Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Zlatan4life View Post
    Is there any chance you could play in the Premier League one day?

In football, you never say never. From the beginning of my career, I’ve had the ambition to play in as many big leagues as possible, and I still have that desire to test myself in other leagues at some stage. And I mean in the Spanish or English leagues. I hope Inter fans can understand my point of view. I’m an athlete and a professional, I like challenges and this is my driving force. What the future will bring, I don’t know. Right now I’m focused on Inter, as we try to make an even bigger step forward from last season.
    totally reasonable, tbh
    "I don't think drugs are the problem."

Quote Originally Posted by rfU View Post
    Didn't like how he had a go at Asamoah early on in the game then in the next play overhit s cross and smiled, amused with himself. His agent better work overtime to find him a club and decent payout for us.
    wasn't even that bad of a pass either tbh. Ivan needs to cool it with that shit and play himself off so we can find him a new home next summer. That's what Joao Mario has been doing and that's why he keeps playing. Interesting to see what happens with Keita reentering the mix and Lautaro becoming more and more important. My guess is less Candreva.

Fav. Player
    Bea Arthur

South Korea

Time to play better, broski. Kill'em and burn the corpse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    If Icardi is ever sold for 110m euros i'll stop watching football and promote Pimp to moderator.

Bulgaria

Forum Supporter
    I think he can change his mind about leaving if we sell Icardi.

Fav. Player
    Tomas Locatelli

Kuwait

19 10 years of FIF Forum Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by varmin View Post
    I think he can change his mind about leaving if we sell Icardi.
    I've always been a fan of Perisic and less of Icardi, but today I rather sell the former if I have to pick one.
    "Alla Juve non sono dei gentlemen, č la mafia" Karl Heinz Rummenigge

Fav. Player
    D'Ambrosio

Albania

10 years of FIF
    Perisic has to gtfo no matter what happens with Icardi, and of course he will never be as important as Icardi was, ever. Too bad some people cannot admit the truth because of hate.

Fav. Player
    Baggio

Bulgaria

Quote Originally Posted by Besnik View Post
    Perisic has to gtfo no matter what happens with Icardi, and of course he will never be as important as Icardi was, ever. Too bad some people cannot admit the truth because of hate.
    Last couple of games he's picking up form, don't know why the outburst now after the winter transfer market closed and we left his transfer request in the past.
    Inter is an artistic venture, almost poetic. It is capable of provoking immense, unreachable joy and bitter disappointment. It’s never done by half-measures.
    For me, Inter is the opening to new worlds and courage. It’s a strong passion, a marvellous illness. You can put up with the weaknesses and admire the courage, the same way you would with a son.
    — Massimo Moratti

23. Thanks (1): MVD

Fav. Player
    Squad Depth

Canada

He wasn't bad today.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
    "Madonna...é un macello qua"

Fav. Player
    Doina Turcanu

Tokelau

69 Forum Supporter
    At least he was trying to give more than he had in the last 2 months.
    FC INTERNAZIONALE

I thought football in Italy had changed, but it seems that a zebra never changes its stripes.
    FAK GOBBY

26. Thanks (1): InterFCAustin

Fav. Player
    Marotta
    Old name
    Wallace

Brazil

Jesus christ, “he tries“ is how we defend our players these days.
    Dr. Marotta

28. Thanks (4): n4l, Pimpin, TiGrr, Wings

Fav. Player
    Ruben Sosa

Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by Lui View Post
    He wasn't bad today.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
    No, he was fecking terrible!

30. Thanks (2): JJM, TiGrr